10:20AM flight too early out of FLL

CaliPhil

My Wife and I booked a 10:20AM flight flying out of FLL on Sunday 1/4/15. We're disembarking the Regal Princess that morning and it was one of the few flights we could use air miles for. Should we be worried? I've read different threads about other times of year, but nothing about that time of year?

Thanks!:confused:

It's tight, and I wouldn't book it. But some would, and you have a chance of making it, as mentioned in the many threads on this topic. A minor hitch, and you miss your flight.

Ā 

By the way, they make those early flights cheaper, and available for award seats because they can't realistically sell them to cruisers getting off the ships that day.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you self disembark, or are in the first group leaving the ship, you should be able to make it, but it is cutting things a bit close if anything is delayed.

Ā 

I would research my options with the airlines in case you miss your flight - what will they let you do and what will it cost. This varies by airline and by type of ticket, so do your homework.

Ā 

DaveOKC

Since you have already booked....if you can handle your bags, I'd self disembark. You'll get there easily. But...best to have a list of later flights in your pocket in case of delay.

Ā 

Like this poster said, if you can handle your bags I think it's possible. We would have been able to make that flight when we cruised on Crown Princess but we did the self disembark and we were at the airport by 8am. We were trying to kill time in the airport and anyone who knows FLL knows that's awful..

But again, you have to plan for delays in customs and other things that could delay you in getting to the airport. But when we arrived the lines were not long yet and you would not have had a problem. It wasn't until 9-9:30 that the lines got long.

Thanks for the replies! We're business class so should have a quicker check in and shorter security line, but still very nervous. The airline has no later availability using miles so would cost over a thousand dollars more for a later flight. I'll take the advice though and call the airline to see what happens if we miss the flight. We'll also look in to self disembark, haven't done it previously but definitely a good idea. Just don't want to have to worry about making a flight all week instead of enjoying the cruise!

If it was me I would have stayed over one night and tried to use it the next day. You will be one of six ships in port and the airport will also be very busy with so many people flying back home or flying other places related to holiday travel.

Ā 

Enjoy the cruise.

Ā 

Keith

You may want to consider reserving a car service to take you to the airport instead of waiting for a taxi. Last March we waited in a taxi line for over an hour.

Ā 

At what time? Perhaps at 9am. But the OP will need to be off the ship at 7:30 or so. Never seen taxi lines at that time.

. We'll also look in to self disembark, haven't done it previously but definitely a good idea. Just don't want to have to worry about making a flight all week instead of enjoying the cruise!

Ā 

Ā 

I would not spend anytime worrying. ;) Your flight is doable. If the ship is delayed, then well, LOTS of people will miss flights.

Yes, just have an option in case of the freaky delay.

Ā 

While onboard, you will be given a form to fill out re disembarkation assginments. Just check the self disembarkation box. They will let you know when to line up to leave. Be there early. You'll be with all the others on those earlier flights. Remember you are only about 15 min from the airport. And the big crowds and lines don't start till after 8:30.

Ā 

Don't worry about waiting for a cab. At that early time there won't be any kind of wait like mentioned.

Edited by eandj

We have done the self disembarkation three different times at FLL. Once on Royal Caribbean and twice with Princess. I print my boarding pass on the ship the day before So we don't have to wait in the check in line. We take a cab to the airport ( and there has always been a long line of cabs waiting at that time ) We have been and the airport and through security by 8;15am Our last flight was also at 10:20, we had tons of time. 10:30 is the earliest the cruise lines recommend and I don't think 10 minutes is a deal breaker jmho

When we disembarked from Princess (our last cruise actually), we did self-disembark and arrived in the MDR at 7:10am. It was 8:55am before we actually walked off the ship (customs delays) and it was 9:40am before we got into a taxi. While in the taxi line, the lady sheriff that was standing there told us that sometimes the taxis forget about the Princess terminal and it takes a while before they start coming.

Ā 

The cruise before that, we sailed RC's Oasis. There was a MAJOR delay with customs and we walked off the ship almost 2 hours passed our scheduled time.

Ā 

No way would I ever book this time for a flight out of FLL. Seems like we're some of the lucky ones that always has a delay in FLL. My hubby only flies first class, so we also get to do the fast check-in and security lines, but we still would never chance this time for a flight out of FLL.

Ā 

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will be some of the lucky ones that actually make it. :)

We have done the self disembarkation three different times at FLL. Once on Royal Caribbean and twice with Princess. I print my boarding pass on the ship the day before So we don't have to wait in the check in line. We take a cab to the airport ( and there has always been a long line of cabs waiting at that time ) We have been and the airport and through security by 8;15am Our last flight was also at 10:20, we had tons of time. 10:30 is the earliest the cruise lines recommend and I don't think 10 minutes is a deal breaker jmho

Ā 

Can you advise which cruise lines recommends 10:30am or after? I have never sailed on one that recommend anything earlier than noon.

Can you advise which cruise lines recommends 10:30am or after? I have never sailed on one that recommend anything earlier than noon.

Ā 

If I remember correctly, Princess states flights should be scheduled four hours after arrival at port. The Regal on my sailing shows it arriving in port at 7:00 a.m.

Its totally doable, IF YOU DON"T HAVE DELAYS.

Ā 

99% of the time you will make it without issue, but its that 1% you have to worry about. The ship could be late. You could be delayed through customs. Etc.

Ā 

That being said, FLL is only a 10 minute cab ride from the port and its an easy airport. Even if you didn't get there until 9:30 am, you'd probably get to your gate OK.

Ā 

Ā 

If its your only option, I'd do it.

I've been dealing with the same sort of issue, except I have to travel from POM to FLL, a good 45 minutes. In 2012 and 2013 we arrived at FLL by 9:30am with no problem. In 2014, we ported from Port Everglades and Customs held us up until nearly 11am.

Ā 

I finally decided I would find something to do in Florida for the day and I'm flying at 7pm. My other option was just too early for comfort. I found a rental car for the day for $43 through Avis.

If I remember correctly, Princess states flights should be scheduled four hours after arrival at port. The Regal on my sailing shows it arriving in port at 7:00 a.m.

Ā 

Good memory! I just checked my documentation for a cruise ending in FLL next month:

Ā 

AIR FLIGHT GUIDELINES

If you have purchased independent air arrangements, please ensure your air schedule falls within these guidelines as Princess is not responsible for making any alternate arrangements or for any out of pocket expenses that may arise should you miss your cruise or cruisetour and/or return flight. The times listed below are subject to change.

Ā 

Disembark: Ft. Lauderdale - Earliest international flight departure: 5 hours after the ship's arrival. Earliest domestic flight departure: 4 hours after the ship's arrival.

Ā 

Ā 

Luckily we live in the area and just need to call my DB for a ride :)

Ā 

No way would I ever book this time for a flight out of FLL. Seems like we're some of the lucky ones that always has a delay in FLL.

Ā 

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will be some of the lucky ones that actually make it. :)

Ā 

LOL Remind me never to travel with youšŸ˜‰ It is a rare occurrence to have hours of delays. In the last 8 years we had one 30 min. delay and that came after the first half of the ship disembarked. ( small fire in terminal)

As your dates get closer and seats don't sell, the airlines will open up even more seats for FF miles.

Ā 

I would keep calling and calling the airlines to get my seats changed to a later flight.

Ā 

I do this all the time and I've never not gotten the flight I want however I am usually only booking for one person and not two.

My Wife and I booked a 10:20AM flight flying out of FLL on Sunday 1/4/15. We're disembarking the Regal Princess that morning and it was one of the few flights we could use air miles for. Should we be worried? I've read different threads about other times of year, but nothing about that time of year?

Thanks!:confused:

Ā 

Ā 

... But I'm Not

We have a 10 am direct flight on a Tues after disembarking the Royal Princess.Thats the only reason I booked it..I try to avoid changing planes when there's a direct flight available.

Here's the plan:

Get yourself into the 1st self walk off group. It's not as hard as you think.

Catch the first cab you can.

Get to the airport and WAIT.

I'll let you know how it works after Nov.4

We've done walk offs before and never missed an early flight yet.

Think POSITIVE!;) I DO

... But I'm Not

We have a 10 am direct flight on a Tues after disembarking the Royal Princess.Thats the only reason I booked it..I try to avoid changing planes when there's a direct flight available.

Here's the plan:

Get yourself into the 1st self walk off group. It's not as hard as you think.

Catch the first cab you can.

Get to the airport and WAIT.

I'll let you know how it works after Nov.4

We've done walk offs before and never missed an early flight yet.

Think POSITIVE!;) I DO

Ā 

Agree :) That's pretty much our plan... except we have a private shuttle bus confirmed for 8:00 a.m. pick-up at POM. Our flight departs FLL at 11:05 a.m.

LOL Remind me never to travel with youšŸ˜‰ It is a rare occurrence to have hours of delays. In the last 8 years we had one 30 min. delay and that came after the first half of the ship disembarked. ( small fire in terminal)

Ā 

:D We have cruised out of every port in FL, but the only delays we've ever had have ALWAYS been in FLL.