Question About Getting Bumped

HollandAvery

As others have said, the week after Thanksgiving is low season so not so busy.

Since your cruise is over a year away, please do not spend all this time worrying yourself sick about it. If there was a chance you could be bumped then the Carnival rep should have told you this. When booking able bodied guests in a HC cabin, they usually warn you that there is a possibility that you could be bumped.

I would call Carnival and ask to speak to a supervisor and ask her what the possibilities are. If she can assure you that you are ok, have her record that you do not wish an upgrade or change.

Do not have this worry hanging over your head for a year. Part of the thrill of cruising is the anticipation of your cruise. Get it settled so you can enjoy and look forward to your cruise.

Hope everything works out for you!:)

I feel so crazy worrying about it now. I need to listen to everyone and just relax.

But hopefully since a few have said the week after Thanksgiving isn't generally busy I'll be safe.

I called and asked her to make a notation. Thank you for the advice (:

But I wouldn't get the money back, correct? That is a lot of extra money I don't have. I was stretching it buy upgrading to the GSOV.

No you wouldn't get the money back. Too expensive to do imho. Just take your chances. When a passenger no shows there are no tips or port taxes to pay, but still expensive.

Quite an expensive way to get the guarantee.....lol.

Depends on how bad you want it :D! I book the 4 person room for the bowling alley room 6232 on the Miracle and then have a fire sale if necessary to get a couple of bodies with me and the daughter!

We often change rooms to a 4 person balcony for the two of us - we do it late, like you have, closer to the cruise. In fact, just did it the other day as daughter is with us and she will have an inside - she was down the hall a little from us and on Sunday I noticed the room directly across the hall (balcony) had opened. Called my PVP and he moved us - he said it was a 4 person but that it would be ok. My best advice, having done this now and in the past - you should be all set.

Stop worrying and go forward with your surprise and have an AWESOME cruise!

When I called and spoke to a rep she told me it would not show up for anyone to book, even an agent, because both Grand Scenic Ocean Views are already booked. She also put a notation on my booking that I would like to not be moved or upgraded for any reason.

It won't let anyone such as you or me book it on the website, but it can in fact be made available for a party of 3 or 4 through Carnival. It also won't show as available as far as trying to get pricing to price match and such which is true. Don't believe everyone you speak to over the phone. 99% of the time people on here know more than they do.

But don't get all worked up about it. There's a small chance you can be bumped and I know of quite a few people it has happened to. It is what it is and there's really nothing you can do to change your chances.

Marking a booking "no upgrade" means nothing as far as not being bumped because it's not filled to capacity. It simply means that you wish not to be upgraded for free to a better (in Carnival's opinion) room for your party of 2. If there is a family of 3 or 4 that need a room, the ship isn't filled to capacity, and they can put you in an "equal or better room" then they have every right to do so. As it gets closer to sailing time, the ship fills up and the chances become slimmer of that happening.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm just telling it like it is. There is a small possibility you will be moved. That's the chance you take when booking a room that is designated for more people that are in your party and/or a HC room. And you knew that going in so while it would totally stink as far as your plans, you can't blame Carnival (or any other cruise line) for enforcing their policy and maximizing revenue by filling every possible berth. It may never come to fruition, but have a plan B just in case.

I really hope all goes well and that all this worrying is for nothing. Some of my friends had that room on the Glory. Good luck and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Edited by firemanbobswife

It won't let anyone such as you or me book it on the website, but it can in fact be made available for a party of 3 or 4 through Carnival. It also won't show as available as far as trying to get pricing to price match and such which is true. Don't believe everyone you speak to over the phone. 99% of the time people on here know more than they do.

But don't get all worked up about it. There's a small chance you can be bumped and I know of quite a few people it has happened to. It is what it is and there's really nothing you can do to change your chances.

Marking a booking "no upgrade" means nothing as far as not being bumped because it's not filled to capacity. It simply means that you wish not to be upgraded for free to a better (in Carnival's opinion) room for your party of 2. If there is a family of 3 or 4 that need a room, the ship isn't filled to capacity, and they can put you in an "equal or better room" then they have every right to do so. As it gets closer to sailing time, the ship fills up and the chances become slimmer of that happening.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm just telling it like it is. There is a small possibility you will be moved. That's the chance you take when booking a room that is designated for more people that are in your party and/or a HC room. And you knew that going in so while it would totally stink as far as your plans, you can't blame Carnival (or any other cruise line) for enforcing their policy and maximizing revenue by filling every possible berth. It may never come to fruition, but have a plan B just in case.

I really hope all goes well and that all this worrying is for nothing. Some of my friends had that room on the Glory. Good luck and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Well I didn't know that going in actually, the Carnival rep never mentioned it was for 4 people, I learned that after I posted here. So if I had of known I wouldn't have upgraded to that room.

But thank you, I hope everything works out as well.

I thought they could only bump you if you were in an HC cabin and someone needed it!

Apparently they can do it if you are in a room that holds more people than you have booked as well. Really not cool on Carnivals part. I mean I understand they want more money, but it just seems like a jerk move to kick someone out of a room that they already paid for and booked over a year in advance (especially if they people who need/want the room didn't book in advance like I did and instead waited until last minute...if this was an HC room and they needed it I wouldn't be as upset, but I kind of feel like the other people are jerks for taking a room that I worked so hard to afford and waited to patiently for). They would definitely piss me off by doing it whether they are allowed to or not.

Edited by HollandAvery

I begin this post knowing I will get flamed because my kind, loving, caring voice cannot be heard but here goes. Read your cruise contract. Don't' worry no one does. We all just click the little box and continue with the booking. You have already agreed to a move if Carnival deems it necessary. Since it is a Carnival ship they get to make the rules.

I do agree that you are booked in a lower demand timeframe and are not as likely to be moved as say someone booked in a handicap.

And I agree, stop the worry. Worry is like a rocking chair. It give you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

You have done what you can and have had the best of intentions. Enjoy the planning and make the best of what ever happens.

Op----Can they bump you? As others have said, yes they can.

Will they bump you? Highly unlikely.

I wouldn't stay up nights worrying about it any more than I would worry about them canceling the entire cruise. They could do it, they have done it, they will do it again, but unlikely it will be your cruise.

We were booked on the Sunshine in one of 2 two bedroom OS's. Ours held 4 and we were only 3. To be safe I sent a message to John Heald's facebook page and explained that we did not want to get bumped out and why. We did not get bumped even though the ship sailed full. He must have told the right people not to move or upgrade us. Good Luck!

I begin this post knowing I will get flamed because my kind, loving, caring voice cannot be heard but here goes. Read your cruise contract. Don't' worry no one does. We all just click the little box and continue with the booking. You have already agreed to a move if Carnival deems it necessary. Since it is a Carnival ship they get to make the rules.

I do agree that you are booked in a lower demand timeframe and are not as likely to be moved as say someone booked in a handicap.

And I agree, stop the worry. Worry is like a rocking chair. It give you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

You have done what you can and have had the best of intentions. Enjoy the planning and make the best of what ever happens.

To be honest I probably read about a 1/2 of the contract last cruise and didn't bother this time but didn't read about getting bumped when I had read it (I'm assuming I didn't get to that part or just overlooked it). I do wish they would make it where people can't book rooms that require more people than they are booking until closer to the cruise that, that way people might not get as irritable with them about it.

I'm glad people keep saying it's a less demanded timeframe...it does ease my worries at bit.

I'm one of those people who worry and worry but I've just got to stop like everyone has been saying!

We were booked on the Sunshine in one of 2 two bedroom OS's. Ours held 4 and we were only 3. To be safe I sent a message to John Heald's facebook page and explained that we did not want to get bumped out and why. We did not get bumped even though the ship sailed full. He must have told the right people not to move or upgrade us. Good Luck!

How can I message him on his facebook page? Like Just a post? It's not showing a way to private message. I'd like to do it just in case! It always helps to have him on your side, heh.

I am surprised the rep even allowed the booking so far in advance. They tend to relax occupancy limits closer to the sailing. Not far out.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you OP.

Thank you to you and everyone else who has been so kind to me during my drama filled panic. I love CC because you guys know so much and are honest but still encouraging and I always can get the facts.

How can I message him on his facebook page? Like Just a post? It's not showing a way to private message. I'd like to do it just in case! It always helps to have him on your side, heh.

Basically you post to his page as there is not a way to private message. Just be nice and explain how long you have waited to book this particular cabin, and how your BF is afraid of balcony's and how excited you are to have finally secured this cabin before discovering that is is for 4 people and that you do not want to be moved or upgraded. He is a very nice guy and does whatever he can as long as you are not demanding like so many who post to his page.

Basically you post to his page as there is not a way to private message. Just be nice and explain how long you have waited to book this particular cabin, and how your BF is afraid of balcony's and how excited you are to have finally secured this cabin before discovering that is is for 4 people and that you do not want to be moved or upgraded. He is a very nice guy and does whatever he can as long as you are not demanding like so many who post to his page.

Thank you so much for this advice! I went ahead and posted my situation and I hope he is able to read and respond to it! I know he gets lots of postings a day to go through so I'm wondering what my chances are of him reading and responding...he is a busy guy!

Apparently they can do it if you are in a room that holds more people than you have booked as well. Really not cool on Carnivals part. I mean I understand they want more money, but it just seems like a jerk move to kick someone out of a room that they already paid for and booked over a year in advance (especially if they people who need/want the room didn't book in advance like I did and instead waited until last minute...if this was an HC room and they needed it I wouldn't be as upset, but I kind of feel like the other people are jerks for taking a room that I worked so hard to afford and waited to patiently for). They would definitely piss me off by doing it whether they are allowed to or not.

I agree completely! I have no problem giving up the cabin if it's HC and somebody needed it, but I booked one of these cabins 18 months out (which you have to do to make sure you get the ones that are limited in supply) AND I'm paying double as a solo. I will raise a huge stink if Carnival tries to give it to someone else close to sailing :mad:

I agree completely! I have no problem giving up the cabin if it's HC and somebody needed it, but I booked one of these cabins 18 months out (which you have to do to make sure you get the ones that are limited in supply) AND I'm paying double as a solo. I will raise a huge stink if Carnival tries to give it to someone else close to sailing :mad:

You're booked one of the doubles I imagine. Carnival isn't losing any money as you can book any double capacity room as a solo and you'll always pay twice as much unless you catch a sailing where they waive the supplement. However two being booked in a quad is a different story. Technically they can get two more fares from the OPs cabin. You're room is already maxed out in terms of stateroom revenue.

So they are allowed to just bump you from the room that you paid for (and for me, booked over a year in advance) ?! I think that is so wrong. I understand it with a HC cabin, but 9200 isn't an HC cabin.

I feel like they honestly shouldn't be able to just do that.

I mean I know they'll make a better offer but what if I say no? Can I do that? Can I even tell them no?

Yes they can bump you and no you can't say no.

OP,

I am in kind of the same boat, pun intended, as you in that our cruise next month is a balcony cabin and it is in a location that we want, but it is a cabin for 3 and we were told by Carnival should 3 people want a balcony and ours is the only cabin for 3 with 2 in it, we will be bumped. I think we will be ok as there are several balconies still available, but we know if someone needs it, off we go. It will NOT change how we feel about Carnival because we know what the possibilities are and we still chose to book this cabin.

Your cruise is a long way away and it is possible, not likely, but possible that you will be bumped. If that happens, it's something that you know can happen and yet you still choose to keep that cabin instead of booking one where you know you should stay put as it's a cabin for 2. To ask John to try to guarantee that you won't be moved is not going to stop Carnival from taking the cabin if they need it.

I know why you want it and I can't blame you for that, but in reality, you need to be prepared that your dream cabin may not be. Good luck though for you in keeping it.

We have 9201 booked next year. I just asked for date's that this cabin was available. I said what date's have 9200 or 9201 avail. The rep told me I could not book 9200 since there was only 2 of us.

i'm surprised they even let you book it My rep would not let us.

I agree I would be very upset to be upgraded to a Std bal.

I wish you the best of luck

i can tell you I have know people that book HDC rooms and are not hdc (makes me mad) Not one has ever been bumped. so that tells me they don't really care as long as the room is booked.

It shouldn't even come up for an agent when booking since it's already booked.

Sometimes carnival agents are not always the best knowledgeable. If the poster requested that certain cabin it will show available.

We always cruise in the off season. and not able to book a cabin that holds 4. I really believe the person who booked had no clue.

(especially with a well sought after cabin)

I still say-- book a 3rd person-- a ghost person. 3rd person rates are a lot cheaper then the others-- it will give you peace of mind and will be worth it to know that you can keep your cabin with no chance of being bumped out of it