Tell me about your onbaord "ZEN" moments

tvguy72

For me its really a simple thing. every night I always go on the balcony (or go up on deck, back in the day before balconies) and just smell the salt air, close my eyes and listen to the white caps break along the hull with that hypnotic hush sound.

That puts me into a calm that cant reproduce anywhere but on the sea.

What is your personal moment of Zen on your cruise?:)

I spend lots of time forward, watching the ship cut through the water.

Zen: That first night, when I fall asleep listening to the creaks in the cabin and feeling the slight movement of the ship. I sleep so soundly, as though I had not slept since my last cruise.

Another vote for the balcony "moments":o

Early morning, coffee in hand, watching the sun come up.

After port, wine in hand, just chilling out.

Before bed, wine in hand, listening to the ocean, and watching the sky.

Ahhhh.....

Just love the sounds of the ocean....

Watching my kids totally be at ease. No one is telling them what to do, where to be. They just hang out and enjoy each others company. That is until I tell them we have to go somewhere.

I love just listening to the ocean. Close my eyes and feel the stress disappear. Not that my life is as stressful and some. But I can just totally relax and leave my world behind.

Zen: That first night, when I fall asleep listening to the creaks in the cabin and feeling the slight movement of the ship. I sleep so soundly, as though I had not slept since my last cruise.

That first night is the best sleep LOL.

I just love the sounds and smell of the ocean.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The last night of the cruise, about midnight, I walk around the entire ship as it's virtually deserted with everyone asleep. I take photos of everything I see in beautiful night light with no people in them. I enjoy the wake, recalling all our activities, peacefulness, and the last bit of relaxation before it ends. (And I start to plan the next one!) Looking at those photos brings that zen moment back again.

Mine always starts about 5 am. Have a travel kit that I use to brew my own home town roasted coffee. Just add hot water from Buffet. Go to the fantail and find a spot (on the smoking side of the ship). Set up the camera on the tripod, place the remote control on the table in case I need to shoot from the chair. Light up, drink coffee, relax and wait for the sun to come up.

At my age, another sun up is the greatest Zen moment. :cool:

We have two of them. First is side by side in the fwd facing heated loungers in the cloud nine spa wearing cozy robes. The other is late night in a serenity hammock with a blanket we dragged up from our cabin. Not a soul around, and you can watch the white things spin on the top of the ship under a backdrop of starry night :)

My best Zen moment was on the Norwegian Spirit, sailing out of San Francisco at nearly sunset. We went to an early dinner and got a table for two by a window at the back of the ship. Late afternoon sunshine. San Francisco in the background. Sea gulls sailing around all over the place. And, eventually, passing under the Golden Gate. Aaaahhhhh. :)

I wake before the sun rises, take my wooden flute and go to the upper deck and play the sun up. There is no blaring noise on the lido deck, and I grab a cup of coffee, and warm myself in the sun. I hear the ocean not another sound, and I feel the warmth of the sun, and see the other ships out on the ocean, and this is zen.

Bookish Angel Going to bed the first night snugged in with my hubby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and knowing all I want in the world is in that small cabin

this was beautiful and so true.

Using the definition of Zen as, "becoming fully aware" ~

It would have to be the first morning of my first (adult) cruise. SunFlower and I arrived at our table, and were greeted by Rusdie, our waiter, who seated my DW. Then came around seated moi. When I looked at the table, my coffee was already poured, sweetner added and the (fresh) cream swirling in the cup . . .

At that moment, I wondered, "Why had I ever taken any other kind of vacation?"

If you define Zen as "transition" ~

It would be (again) the first morning of each cruise, standing on the bow, with a cappuccino in my hand, watching the porpoises (porpoisi sp?) dancing in the bow wave. At that moment, I . . .have . . .arrived.