Is Celebrity going to a two-class system?

lisiamc

[quote name='ImaginationCruiseBride']As somebody who has booked their first Celebrity cruise and after reading many, many threads for past month or so since we booked, and after reading the message boards for the other cruise lines....our cruise is paid for but I'm pretty sure we will never sail Celebrity again. We worked hard for our money and have been fortunate to be able to retire at 53 for Mr. and 52 for me, and I'm just not interested in snobs....I've read enough on this board to wonder if the cruise critic crowd is an accurate representation of Celebrity passengers as a whole...if so, I really don't want to become a Celebrity groupie...way too many self important snobs on here. I have no desire to put myself in a position to be looked down on. Perhaps some of the snobs on here should read the book The Millionaire Next Door. Those who have it don' t need to flaunt it, and those snobs who are so busy shoving their importance in everybody else's faces have no class, whether they have money or not. I am hoping that the people on the actual cruise will be much more pleasant than the snobs who tend to post here. I absolutely hate the class system and self important people it caters too.

I'm trying to convince my husband to cancel our cruise and book on another line. I cruise for the ports anyway.[/QUOTE]

Totally agreeing your observations... I felt the same way when I first joined CC (too many people who count their cruises & personal wealth as if either are the be all to end all :rolleyes: )

But I would not abandon ship just yet...

Because seriously, those were not the folks I met on my Roll Calls or my cruises...

I met great people... Crew & Guests alike

And had a MARVELLOUS time...

As has been said here many times on CC... Just about everything about Celebrity is night & day when it comes to land vs sea (including it seems the Pax)

Cheers! Edited by Sloop-JohnB

[quote name='Sloop-JohnB']Totally agreeing your observations... I felt the same way when I first joined CC (too many people who count their cruises & personal wealth as if either are the be all to end all :rolleyes: )

But I would not abandon ship just yet...

Because seriously, those were not the folks I met on my Roll Calls or my cruises...

I met great people... Crew & Guests alike

And had a MARVELLOUS time...

As has been said here many times on CC... Just about everything about Celebrity is night & day when it comes to land vs sea (including it seems the Pax)

Cheers![/QUOTE]

I hope you are right...I just see this class distinction on message boards to be far more polarizing on Celebrity. I read all of the cruise line message boards and Celebrity snobs (CC snobs anyway) are far more abundant on Celebrity. The author in me wants to write a story about how this is all conspiracy by Cunnard or HAL or Princess to make Celebrity look bad. Because honestly, the Celebrity message board makes Celebrity passengers look far more obnoxious than any of the other cruise line boards.

[quote name='Hotel CA']It seems to us that there are at least a couple of single treatment lines-- Seabourn and Crystal come to mind. Whatever Cabin you are in, you get the same perks and treatment . Other than the additional space, there does not seem to be any difference in "class of service" .

We are somewhat troubled by the direction X is taking further dividing the service by cabin type-- you begin to feel that if you do not upgrade cabin type, you won't get their best service/food/quality and the ship will be divided into the have's and have nots.

We are looking at Med cruises in 2015 or 16 and it if you compare the suite cost on X to the regular rooms on Crystal, Crystal is [I]way [/I]less expensive but all you give up is space-- service is top of the line, food is great and all cabins are all inclusive for everyone. So it appears to us that this move to multi class structure is making the high end cruises more compelling and reasonable.

Does anyone else see this and is anyone else troubled by this trend?[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree and think you should check again. Some suites on Seabourne have spa access and unlimited internet. On Crytal some suites come with benefits others don't, like butlers

It's the same philosophy, pay more get more, whether it's space or benfits, that's all there is too it. A mass market line like Celebrity just needs more perks as inevitably, some perks don't apply to some people, so they offer more perks to try and have some to entice more people. Kinds of like more, less accurate shots of a machine gun, vs a sniper (not sure where that analogy comes form). Remember, Celebrity had many more cabins to fill.

If you think someone on Cyrstak or Seabourne who has sailed many times or spent twice as much on a large penthouse doesn't get, or expect more, I think you'd be mistaken.

As far as cost and value, each person has their own judgement on what is important. Space in the cabin, butler, size of ship, activities, etc. to each their own.

Happy sailing,
Jenna

[quote name='BubMunkeyBles']I'm paying Carnival prices to cruise Celebrity lately (literally Carnival called and they couldn't come close to beating the deal we got for April). I am not complaining at all. My husband is super bummed about missing Michaels Club though.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. This is why we booked our cruise with Celebrity.

I think my issue isn't so much the you pay more you get more thing, as the attitudes of those who pay more so for some reason think they are better. I'd be willing to bet if we compared bank balances we wouldn't be too far off!

[quote name='ImaginationCruiseBride']Agree with this. This is why we booked our cruise with Celebrity.

I think my issue isn't so much the you pay more you get more thing, as the attitudes of those who pay more so for some reason think they are better. I'd be willing to bet if we compared bank balances we wouldn't be too far off![/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone thinks they're better. I do believe it is fair to feel you should get more, if you paid more, especially when the extras are offered as benefits for the payment.

I also feel there are some who feel everyone should be equal (in what they get, regardless of what they pay I guess). This is not true life, from the cars some buy, to the seats on airplanes, to the sie of houses, it is mostly true that when you pay more, you get more. The net worth of the individual paying, has nothing to do with the value proposition of the transaction. You get whatever you pay for.

Incidentally, with few exception, you will have no idea who is in what cabin onboard and I have only met a very small number of snobbish people onboard. My recommendation would be to consider the posters on cruise critic the minority, which statistically, they are. Go into your cruise with an open mind, and a positive attitude, and you'll have a great time.

Happy sailing,
Jenna

Dicussions like this are always interesting. Some can so easily fall into an "us against them" mentality. Keep your wits and never let anyone play with your emotions.

It is only a class system if someone prevents you from paying for the same perks.

Long ago if you did not have the right name or the right connections you could not do or have the things that rich people do, even if you had the money. That is a class system. That is not the case here at all.

I'll stop there, or I'll start talking about what I think of people who incite such thinking.

Looks like the green eyed monster is alive and well, but there aren't as many of them as I might have thought.

Bottom line - yer pays yer money and takes yer pick. If you don't like the way the system works you could alway buy a rowing boat, take a picnic basket and bask in the self satisfaction of being the most important person on the boat.

I'm not bothered! If people are willing to pay a huge premium, well good for them! Personally I don't think its worth the cost of going 'posh'. For example I can't understand why people are willing to pay more for Concierge Class as the benefits don't even come close to matching up to the extra cost in my view. I can well imagine holding a similar view in respect of suites.

[quote name='Kevin T Brown']I came across one such person on my last cruise. Because they were elite status, they felt like they could just cut in lines, push in to be first, etc. Finally after the 3rd day of this at breakfast, I had to say something about her cutting lines. The response I got was a snooty "I'm elite, you can wait". My comment to her was "your [bad word for crap] stinks just as bad as anyone else's on here, so get to the back of the line and wait your turn."

I got this from her: :eek:

And more than a few people laughing at what had happened.

She steered clear of me the rest of the way and definitely didn't cut line any more. :D

That was the ONLY time I ever experienced that attitude on my 2 cruises with Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

I second your comments. I really don't care what the perks or the Celebrity status is. Some are of value, others aren't. What burns me are the braggarts that insist on publically invoking some self imagined superiority. For heavens sake, these perks are a marketing technique, not knighthood by the Queen of England. Luckily there have only been a rare few of these over the years. The vast majority of cruisers are normal fun seeking folks.

[quote name='Kevin T Brown']I came across one such person on my last cruise. Because they were elite status, they felt like they could just cut in lines, push in to be first, etc. Finally after the 3rd day of this at breakfast, I had to say something about her cutting lines. The response I got was a snooty "I'm elite, you can wait". My comment to her was "your [bad word for crap] stinks just as bad as anyone else's on here, so get to the back of the line and wait your turn."

I got this from her: :eek:

And more than a few people laughing at what had happened.

She steered clear of me the rest of the way and definitely didn't cut line any more. :D

That was the ONLY time I ever experienced that attitude on my 2 cruises with Celebrity.[/quote]

I would be willing to bet she was rude long before she attained Elite status.

We just got off the Connie, and for 12 days we only saw maximum of 4 people in the Michaels Club at any one time. Granted, did not park myself outside the door 24/7 but when asked staff about usage they agreed it was very minimal. What bothers me, is a waste of usable space. It may be a perk, but they were not using it...they were in all the other public areas or in their private suite. :)

[quote name='firefightermom007']We just got off the Connie, and for 12 days we only saw maximum of 4 people in the Michaels Club at any one time. Granted, did not park myself outside the door 24/7 but when asked staff about usage they agreed it was very minimal. What bothers me, is a waste of usable space. It may be a perk, but they were not using it...they were in all the other public areas or in their private suite. :)[/quote]

Yep that's a worry, if they quarantine space for certain passengers and they don't use it. Even on the biggest ships space is at a premium.

[quote name='GUT2407']Yep that's a worry, if they quarantine space for certain passengers and they don't use it. Even on the biggest ships space is at a premium.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]I don't understand why you are worried about it. The club was not used by a lot of people when it was open to everyone. People just seem to have their knickers in a knot since now they [B]can't[/B] use it when before they [B]weren't[/B] using it.

Much ado about nothing as someone once said.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Chitown12562']Dicussions like this are always interesting. Some can so easily fall into an "us against them" mentality. Keep your wits and never let anyone play with your emotions.

[B]It is only a class system if someone prevents you from paying for the same perks.[/B]

Long ago if you did not have the right name or the right connections you could not do or have the things that rich people do, even if you had the money. That is a class system. That is not the case here at all.

I'll stop there, or I'll start talking about what I think of people who incite such thinking.[/QUOTE]

That is the most sensible thing in this entire thread!

[quote name='Happy Cruiser 6143'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]I don't understand why you are worried about it. The club was not used by a lot of people when it was open to everyone. People just seem to have their knickers in a knot since now they [B]can't[/B] use it when before they [B]weren't[/B] using it.

Much ado about nothing as someone once said.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

There are parts of all ships that are not as heavily frequented as others they are spots that I love, my problem is if it was underutilized and still is why not open it up to all. How will that impact on the suite passengers?

[quote name='dz9yvr']I don't most people really have any issue with people paying more and getting more for their money. The issue is that the quality of the "regular" or mainstream offerings usually decreases when an upper level is created.[/QUOTE]

Can you factually document that supposition?

[quote name='Queen of Oakville']For the most part agree with both of these posts and that is how I pretty much live my life in all regards, and i too love getting a deal. I'd personally rather take two cruises in a verandah than one cruise in a suite. I don't think I could justify the extra cost of a suite (although, I have to admit, I've never tried the "suite" life). I will have to try a suite on an upgrade/upsell to see if it's worth the extra cost. I once said that about a "verandah". Never thought I'd pay for a verandah because I was perfectly content in my inside, and then I got visited by the upgrade fairy, and I almost never book an inside anymore.

I fully agree that loyalty should be rewarded and those that pay more, get more.

But, reading these posts at Cruise Critic, almost seems to send a message of class division; you're either in the "elite" group or the lowly "non-elite" group. I haven't sailed celebrity yet, so I'm not sure how the shipboard experience will feel.

I think for me it's just the connotation of the word "elite". I guess it just sounds so "elitist".[/QUOTE]

Try celebrity you won't notice it on board. Just on these threads.

[quote name='Hotel CA']It seems to us that there are at least a couple of single treatment lines-- Seabourn and Crystal come to mind. Whatever Cabin you are in, you get the same perks and treatment . Other than the additional space, there does not seem to be any difference in "class of service" .

We are somewhat troubled by the direction X is taking further dividing the service by cabin type-- you begin to feel that if you do not upgrade cabin type, you won't get their best service/food/quality and the ship will be divided into the have's and have nots.

We are looking at Med cruises in 2015 or 16 and it if you compare the suite cost on X to the regular rooms on Crystal, Crystal is [I]way [/I]less expensive but all you give up is space-- service is top of the line, food is great and all cabins are all inclusive for everyone. So it appears to us that this move to multi class structure is making the high end cruises more compelling and reasonable.

Does anyone else see this and is anyone else troubled by this trend?[/QUOTE]

I think it makes sense that you book your next cruise with Crystal, they are a wonderful cruise line that I simply can't afford. :)

all i can say is ........ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! This thread is exhausting.

If you want access to it all, pay more. I do that when flying, buying a car, booking a hotel, visiting disneyland so I can get in to the front of the line...and I am not talking fast pass thing....cold hard cash buys you a higher level ticket and a separate front of the line pass. :D

I enjoy what I pay for...more $$$ buys more but then again I am expecting that. When I pay less I expect less and am equally satisfied.

why oh why do I read these threads :rolleyes:

[quote name='ImaginationCruiseBride']As somebody who has booked their first Celebrity cruise and after reading many, many threads for past month or so since we booked, and after reading the message boards for the other cruise lines....our cruise is paid for but I'm pretty sure we will never sail Celebrity again. We worked hard for our money and have been fortunate to be able to retire at 53 for Mr. and 52 for me, and I'm just not interested in snobs....I've read enough on this board to wonder if the cruise critic crowd is an accurate representation of Celebrity passengers as a whole...if so, I really don't want to become a Celebrity groupie...way too many self important snobs on here. I have no desire to put myself in a position to be looked down on. Perhaps some of the snobs on here should read the book The Millionaire Next Door. Those who have it don' t need to flaunt it, and those snobs who are so busy shoving their importance in everybody else's faces have no class, whether they have money or not. I am hoping that the people on the actual cruise will be much more pleasant than the snobs who tend to post here. I absolutely hate the class system and self important people it caters too.

I'm trying to convince my husband to cancel our cruise and book on another line. I cruise for the ports anyway.[/QUOTE]

Now that is amazing to me, you haven't even sailed Celebrity once and have convinced yourself you won't enjoy it. Wow, why not at least give it a chance I think you would be happy if you did.

Please accept the fact that a Celebrity cruise is nothing like these boards. As I veteran of many sailed Celebrity cruise some in a lowly inside cabin on deck three I assure you won't get a better cruise. Try it you will like it.

[quote name='ImaginationCruiseBride']I hope you are right...I just see this class distinction on message boards to be far more polarizing on Celebrity. I read all of the cruise line message boards and Celebrity snobs (CC snobs anyway) are far more abundant on Celebrity. The author in me wants to write a story about how this is all conspiracy by Cunnard or HAL or Princess to make Celebrity look bad. Because honestly, the Celebrity message board makes Celebrity passengers look far more obnoxious than any of the other cruise line boards.[/QUOTE]

One question have you participated in the roll call for your particular cruise? I am currently posting on four roll calls for upcoming booked cruises and have participated in numerous others for cruises sailed. Roll calls are much more positive then this open thread.

If you have not I suggest check in there and seeing for yourself. :)

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]
Captain's Club level is a different matter [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]entirely [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]having nothing to do with stateroom class since someone at any Captain's Club level (or no Captain's Club level at all) may book any class of stateroom.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]It is not as though any shipboard class gets a monopoly on bad behavior. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT];)[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]

Obviously, there is no correlation between personal [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]behavior[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] and the stateroom class that one books, or [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]one's Captain's Club level, [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]since rudeness or politeness, selfishness or consideration for others, can be found at [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]any stateroom class, or at [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]any Captain's Club level.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]But getting back to how many classes Celebrity will have, it looks as though they will continue to maintain the same stateroom classes offered presently, tweaking them somewhat as they go along, as they are doing by eliminating Aqua Class Suites and adding the new suite dining room.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]