Is Celebrity going to a two-class system?

lisiamc

[quote name='Orator']Perhaps you can offer some examples of cruise lines that don't give more perks to those who pay more. What lines don't have a least a two class system? I really don't care what others get. I can get it as well if I pay and that's fair. Hate to be the one that breaks the news, but there's been a multi class system for years.[/QUOTE]
Nicely said!

First ,we are retired but not old( whatever that means).We can afford to sail in whatever cabbin we want,(and have ,from interior to suites,but normally get the best deal on a balcony,it is a game with us!) Maybe because it is a choice with us ,we end up laughing at passengers that flaunt their status,we have over 35 cruises and have never discussed it ...you don't know who is next to you on the ship...and trust me it doesn't matter in the lifeboat...the days of the titanic class system are over!

You do pay for what you get but it is not that much more(space,diff.restaurants...Michael's(which we loved but not that much$) Pay what you want to spend ,be happy and laff at the "silly" people,some who use their status to compensate for the their boring everyday life.
Class system is not alive on celebrity and remember $ doesn't bring class and neither does a suite;0)

Let's not forget the 3rd class - AquaClass with their private BLU dining room, that even suite guests aren't ENTITLED to. :D

Or the 4th class - Concierge with their expedited boarding, tendering and afternoon canapé delivery perks that standard verandas, ocean views and insides can't have.

As to Michaels, it has never been used by anyone to any huge degree, so now it's for suite guests, giving them a Concierge Lounge like hotels do for their top guests, like first class lounges, business class lunges and standard lounges with airlines and like may other cruise lines do.

As no one really used it to any huge degree in the past, Celebrity now can call it a suite perk, adding benefits to those passengers and cabins, charging a higher fare than years past for the same services, and using it as a marketing tool to pull suite cruisers from other lines who may have come to expect a private lounge (i.e. NCL Haven), and truthfully, hardly any other guests have been displaced based on the overall low usage of the space over time.

Everything contained inside of Michaels Lounge is available elsewhere on the ship. [LIST]
[*]Drinks - any bar or restaurant located all over the ship
[*]Tables to play cards - card room, ocean view cafe, any number of other small spaces scattered about
[*]Concierge - concierge desk that varies ship to ship or captains club host desk
[*]Continental breakfast - Ocean View cafe, BLU for Aqua Guests
[*]Afternoon canapé and snacks - ocean view and AquSpa cafe', cafe al baccio for sweets
[/LIST]

So not really sure what all the fuss is about not having access, all the benefits are available in multiple other locations.

I guess I am very fortunate. I have met some very nice folks on the ships, and very few rude ones. :)
I feel the same way, but think it is more than just a matter of being fortunate to meet the nice ones as I truly believe that the vast majority of Celebrity passengers really are very nice people.

Unfortunately, it seems that the few bad apples are the ones who stand out, being the exceptions, so they are the ones who tend to get noticed and talked about.

Edited by fleckle

We each have our different priorities but I can accept spending a few hours in intolerable conditions on a 'plane and would rather spend the money on better cruise accommodation for 14 days.

I completely agree, we all have our own preferences, but I think it has a lot to do with where you're flying to/from. On a domestic or short flight, I'm fine in economy, I've taken plenty of the short flights out of Gatwick to smaller Europe cities, but for cruises, as we are flying to/from the U.S. west coast, it's basically a two day trip... we leave our house at around noon on Thursday, & won't be in Rome until 4 or 5 the next day, & we still have to get to our hotel :) On the way home, it's several hours longer, as we lose the jet stream.

So, the priority check in lines, the included lounges, (almost always a few hours layover at CDG) the priority immigration, really, really make a difference to me, anyway.

Oddly enough, once we're on land, we take trains & buses, not taxis & private drivers, so I'm not a travel snob. :D (except on or way to the airport for our return flight)

Once on the ship, we use it basically as a traveling hotel to get to the ports, as long as we can eat in Blu, I'm fine with a basic AQ cabin. :) I'd be fine with a regular balcony cabin too, but probably would skip the MDR for the buffet.

There are only two levels of people on board a modern ship,

• There are those who get waited on (passengers having paid for the service); and
  • There are those that do the waiting (the crew who are paid to do it).

Edited by MicCanberra

I'm pretty sure we will never sail Celebrity again....I have no desire to put myself in a position to be looked down on.... I am hoping that the people on the actual cruise will be much more pleasant than the snobs who tend to post here. I absolutely hate the class system and self important people it caters too.

I really don't think anyone will be looking down on you. Most people you see by the pool or in a bar or in a restaurant or wherever will have no idea what kind of cabin you're in, nor will they have any idea if you are in the Captain's Club and at which level. Might there be the occasional rude person, such as the one mentioned previously who was cutting in line? Of course, but that can and does happen anywhere you go.

As for whether or not it's a two class system, I agree with a previous poster that it's really not a class system if you can buy your way to the top. Theoretically, anyone can book a suite, or sail on enough cruises to become a Zenith CC member. If I go to the grocery store and buy hamburger and you buy filet mignon, it doesn't mean you're a higher class person that me; it just means you chose to spend your money on expensive meat. Maybe the grocery store even gives you an extra coupon or perk of some kind because your bill hits a certain total.... it still doesn't mean we're in two different classes. The suite/non-suite and elite/non-elite situation is really no different. :)

Not sure if this has been answered in all these posts, but has the Michael's Club switched over yet? I read somewhere that it was planned for April 2015. We are cruising in the beginning of March and my husband would be thrilled if he could still do his international beer sampling there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has been answered in all these posts, but has the Michael's Club switched over yet? I read somewhere that it was planned for April 2015. We are cruising in the beginning of March and my husband would be thrilled if he could still do his international beer sampling there.

Michael's has been switched over to the suite lounge on all ships. Craft beers have been moved to other venues on the ship, mostly Cellar Masters, but it can vary by ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Michael's has been switched over to the suite lounge on all ships. Craft beers have been moved to other venues on the ship, mostly Cellar Masters, but it can vary by ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks! Any idea if these have extra charges above the Premium Drinks package?

Thanks! Any idea if these have extra charges above the Premium Drinks package?

I believe some may be above the allowence for the premium, in which case you should pay the difference, but it will depend on what they have onboard.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My response to such ideas is that if suite guests paid what I pay for a cruise then we would all be paying much more for our share of running a cruise ship. This usually occurs in the MDR or a bar when someone starts to complain about how much better suite guests are catered to.

We could cruise in a suite once or twice a year but would rather do 6 to 8 cruises. With our Captain's Club and C&A perks we still get treated very well by RCCL :)

I'm not against perks for those in suites, but in my experience Michael's Club was very well use don our Silhouette and Eclipse cruises. On the former the sports bar/craft beer format seemed to work very well, and on the latter it was more of an entertainment venue.

It wasn't easy to get a seat in there on either cruise, but I'm pleased to say we manged to see West Side Strings there on the Eclipse!

After 32 cruises with Celebrity, our group has said this next one is our last. We, all 6 of us, have done 2 one week and one 2 week yearly for several years. For us it is 2 fold. We book balconies and trust me in 32 cruises we have spent way more than one week in a suite. We don't think celebrity cares about us any more. They obviously don't value returning guests. Secondly, we are tired of the same old itineraries. The 2 week hasn't changed in years and it'd be nice to switch up some ports. I don't see why they can't switch with another ship (same class) and hit a different port.

We are on to the smaller tours - one company never exceeds 16 per tour & they go all over the world - sorry Celebrity, but we are done.

My response to such ideas is that if suite guests paid what I pay for a cruise then we would all be paying much more for our share of running a cruise ship. This usually occurs in the MDR or a bar when someone starts to complain about how much better suite guests are catered to.

My experience has been bartenders don't come to my Silver Suite sea pass card any faster than they do the standard blue sea pass, aqua-blue sea pass or concierge gold sea pass card.

My experience has been bartenders don't come to my Silver Suite sea pass card any faster than they do the standard blue sea pass, aqua-blue sea pass or concierge gold sea pass card.

From My limited experience it is not the X staff that noticed the colour of my pass but other pax trying to get better service by flashing a gold pass to try and trump lowly blue pass holders:eek:

We've been upgraded on Carnival and HAL--through pure luck--to suites. I can assure you that we are the most ordinary looking and ordinary acting people in the world. We enjoyed ourselves very much, particularly on HAL with their "restricted" suite lounge with goodies all day. However, we would NEVER pay the published fares. We just got lucky.

After 32 cruises with Celebrity, our group has said this next one is our last. We, all 6 of us, have done 2 one week and one 2 week yearly for several years. For us it is 2 fold. We book balconies and trust me in 32 cruises we have spent way more than one week in a suite. We don't think celebrity cares about us any more. They obviously don't value returning guests. Secondly, we are tired of the same old itineraries. The 2 week hasn't changed in years and it'd be nice to switch up some ports. I don't see why they can't switch with another ship (same class) and hit a different port.

We are on to the smaller tours - one company never exceeds 16 per tour & they go all over the world - sorry Celebrity, but we are done.

Wow! 32 cruises, I guess you are "tired of the same old itineraries" Pleas let us know which line you find that goes somewhere the others dont.

My response to such ideas is that if suite guests paid what I pay for a cruise then we would all be paying much more for our share of running a cruise ship.

This usually occurs in the MDR or a bar when someone starts to complain about how much better suite guests are catered to.

We could cruise in a suite once or twice a year but would rather do 6 to 8 cruises. With our Captain's Club and C&A perks we still get treated very well by RCCL :)

Good post.

Indeed there has to be some big spenders aboard to offset the mid priced & bargain cabins that make up the majority... A Cruise Ship is very expensive to keep afloat.

I don't begrudge any one's perks that come either with the price of the ticket they bought (especially if they spent more than I did)

Or if they've earned perks through their loyalty.

What does drive me crazy.... Is those who want to tell he world about their PERCEIVED STATUS

Like CLE-GUY said I don't think the average Celebrity Crewmember jumps to attention...

But this...

From My limited experience it is not the X staff that noticed the colour of my pass but other pax trying to get better service by flashing a gold pass to try and trump lowly blue pass holders:eek:

The OBNOXIOUS & RUDE Pax that expect it (even demand) to be treated as someone special...

And ya it almost always seem to be at a Bar, or waiting in line somewhere... Or here on CC when someone will mutter

"I expected better of Celebrity afterall I am XYZ"

Seriously... Get over yourself already :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Ps... To KEVIN T BROWN - I applaud your standing up to this bore... I did something similar on a cruise when I watched a woman ream out a shop girl (it was painful to watch) especially as the young clerk clearly would not or could not stand up for herself (may have been lack of confidence or a combo of the same with Cruise Policy... Although Celebrity says they won't tolerate Pax abusing crew verbally). Anyhow, I stepped in... And told this grown woman she should be ashamed of herself... And I am certain that "she isn't all that and a bag of chips either". She was stunned and walked away speachless. I told the clerk if this cowardly bully returned and tried it again (in an act of one up-manship) that she should report it to Mgmt, and gave her my cabin # as I would definitely be a witness for her cause.

Seriously some people are just beyond rude... Thankfully be they on a ship or elsewhere they are a small minority in life.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Good post.

Indeed there has to be some big spenders aboard to offset the mid priced & bargain cabins that make up the majority... A Cruise Ship is very expensive to keep afloat.

I don't begrudge any one's perks that come either with the price of the ticket they bought (especially if they spent more than I did)

Or if they've earned perks through their loyalty.

What does drive me crazy.... Is those who want to tell he world about their PERCEIVED STATUS

Like CLE-GUY said I don't think the average Celebrity Crewmember jumps to attention...

But this...

The OBNOXIOUS & RUDE Pax that expect it (even demand) to be treated as someone special...

And ya it almost always seem to be at a Bar, or waiting in line somewhere... Or here on CC when someone will mutter

"I expected better of Celebrity afterall I am XYZ"

Seriously... Get over yourself already :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Ps... To KEVIN T BROWN - I applaud your standing up to this bore... I did something similar on a cruise when I watched a woman ream out a shop girl (it was painful to watch) especially as the young clerk clearly would not or could not stand up for herself (may have been lack of confidence or a combo of the same with Cruise Policy... Although Celebrity says they won't tolerate Pax abusing crew verbally). Anyhow, I stepped in... And told this grown woman she should be ashamed of herself... And I am certain that "she isn't all that and a bag of chips either". She was stunned and walked away speachless. I told the clerk if this cowardly bully returned and tried it again (in an act of one up-manship) that she should report it to Mgmt, and gave her my cabin # as I would definitely be a witness for her cause.

Seriously some people are just beyond rude... Thankfully be they on a ship or elsewhere they are a small minority in life.

The classic "Don't you know who I am" scenario. :eek:.

I don't see why they can't switch with another ship (same class) and hit a different port.

Supply and demand, most likely. Not everyone has done the number of cruises you have and apparently that's a popular itinerary. :)

I see comments like this and really have to shake my head. I have never, on any cruise, seen someone doing what I would call "flashing a whatever pass" to try to get better service. Whether it's a different colored card to indicate they're in a suite, or a different colored card to indicate higher loyalty status, I've never seen one being "flashed." Do people have them in their hand as they wait to order? Absolutely. "Flashing it" to get better service implies to me that they are waving it around, shoving it in the bartender's face, or in some way trying explicitly to bring attention to it....as if to say, "look at me, look at my card, it's another color so I deserve better service than these other people." And I have never seen that happen. IMHO comments like these are conjured up in the minds of people who would like to THINK others are getting better service than they are because they wish they were in a suite or wish they were at a higher loyalty level. Just my .02