Is Celebrity going to a two-class system?

lisiamc

I am really not sure why it bothers people that others are prepared to pay for something that they are clearly not.

If I wish to cruise in a Suite and eat in a designated restaurant then its not because I don't wish to associate with others who may be staying in an inside cabin for instance. Its simply because I wish to indulge and make the most of my vacation.

A true class system dictates responsibilities as well as privileges. The "upper" classes are expected to dress, act and talk in a certain way or risk being ostracized.

This is not the case on Celebrity. I can cruise Aqua or Suite class and be as slovenly, obnoxious and boorish as I like so long as I cough up the cash.

Oh in that case I might go a suite after all.

If I could afford it, which I can't, I would fly first class and book a suite every time. Like I say, I can't, so I have to put up with flying economy and booking and AQ stateroom, which is the next best thing to a suite.

I don't begrudge suite guests their perks, as long as my perks - such as they are - are not downgraded to provide them.

OD

If I could afford it, which I can't, I would fly first class and book a suite every time. Like I say, I can't, so I have to put up with flying economy and booking and AQ stateroom, which is the next best thing to a suite.

Now that part I don't agree with, I don't fly anymore but when I did Business class did me fine, but only because I am a big boy.

The only time I'd go a suite would be on a longer cruise perhaps.

I don't begrudge suite guests their perks, as long as my perks - such as they are - are not downgraded to provide them.

OD

On the other hand that part I am in total agreement with.

Edited by GUT2407

I am really not sure why it bothers people that others are prepared to pay for something that they are clearly not.

I don't most people really have any issue with people paying more and getting more for their money. The issue is that the quality of the "regular" or mainstream offerings usually decreases when an upper level is created.

So a suite passenger can drink, relax, and attend special events in Michael's, eat in the special suite dining room, get priority tendering and disembarkation at ports, have reserved seating at shows (so far only for formal nights, I think) and generally manage not to come into contact with "regular" passengers.

What do others think? Will you be happy to be on a two-class ship?

Seriously? I don't think anyone who takes advantage of any perks that come with being in a suite is doing it to avoid contact with "regular passengers." And there are still plenty of times a person would be in contact with the general population anyway.

Typically in a "class system" people do not get to select their "class". It is predetermined. This is just a matter of getting what you pay for. I have no interest in booking a suite but if I wanted to, it would be an option for me.

We all want (myself included) rock bottom, deal of the day, cruise fares. The difference has to be made up somewhere and the only way they can command higher prices for suites is to sweeten the pot. (pun intended)

I think the use of the term "two class system" is an overstatement. But to the extent that it does apply here I think it can be said that Celebrity has had a two class system for years. Not only that but it is working hard to differentiate the two even more by increasing the suite perks and benefits. Clearly their ultimate goal is to increase the demand for suites so that they can sell them out easier and do so at higher prices than they're getting now. I think if the new suite programs are well implemented and successful you'll see higher prices for suites in the future.

Does this bother me? Well I have mixed feelings keeping in mind we've not cruised in suites (except for one SS cruise many years ago). I am not bothered by the perks given to suite holders, those don't effect my cruise and they don't detract from it.

But while your statement about suite holders "manage not to come into contact with "regular" passengers." generally is not true there is one aspect of it that does bother me a little. One of the aspects of cruising that my DW and I have enjoyed the most is spending time on board with the cruise friends we've met over the years and making new ones. A good part of this time with cruise friends is socializing before dinner in a lounge area on board and over dinner. While the advent of the Micheal's Club suite lounge and the forthcoming suite dining room do not prevent that, since suite holders do not have to use these facilities, they will impeded that a little.

Edited by Lsimon

Now that Michael's Club has been designated as a lounge for suite passengers and Zenith-level Captain's Club members, I've also read that there will be a separate dining room for suite passengers as well. So a suite passenger can drink, relax, and attend special events in Michael's, eat in the special suite dining room, get priority tendering and disembarkation at ports, have reserved seating at shows (so far only for formal nights, I think) and generally manage not to come into contact with "regular" passengers.

We will probably never be a suite passengers. If we want that level of perks, we can sail with a more luxurious line like Seabourn or Azamara, where we are pampered but basically equal with all the other passengers. And we'd pay about the same money as the suite passengers on Celebrity.

What do others think? Will you be happy to be on a two-class ship?

I'm guessing that you thought it was already a "two class system" on Celebrity because of the Elite benefits. They have a special cocktail party, a special breakfast, priority tendering, private departure lounge, etc. So what's the difference now?

One should only be concerned with what benefits they get and not be jealous of what others are getting.

I'm happy, don't cruise Celebrity in a suite, and have 3 cruises booked with them. If you are not happy, there are so many other cruise lines, as you have mentioned, to cruise on and I hope you go with a line where you will get the experience you are looking for.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't begrudge others the benefits. If they want to pay, that's fine with me. It is sort of the real estate thing, though. I'd rather live in the worst house in a good neighbourhood than the best house in a bad neighbourhood. So for cruising, I'd rather have a regular cabin on a luxury line if I want luxury, or a regular cabin on a mass-market line if I want that experience.

That's exactly our feeling on this.

For the suite prices, we can cruise two or three times more often in our "regular" cabin category.

I'm on a cruise - it's ALL good :)

It doesn't bother me one little bit if someone pays for an experience they feel is superior to mine. Half of my enjoyment is getting the bargain....so they will never get the chance to feel what makes my cruise vacation special. :D

I don't begrudge others the benefits. If they want to pay, that's fine with me. It is sort of the real estate thing, though. I'd rather live in the worst house in a good neighbourhood than the best house in a bad neighbourhood. So for cruising, I'd rather have a regular cabin on a luxury line if I want luxury, or a regular cabin on a mass-market line if I want that experience.

For the most part agree with both of these posts and that is how I pretty much live my life in all regards, and i too love getting a deal. I'd personally rather take two cruises in a verandah than one cruise in a suite. I don't think I could justify the extra cost of a suite (although, I have to admit, I've never tried the "suite" life). I will have to try a suite on an upgrade/upsell to see if it's worth the extra cost. I once said that about a "verandah". Never thought I'd pay for a verandah because I was perfectly content in my inside, and then I got visited by the upgrade fairy, and I almost never book an inside anymore.

I fully agree that loyalty should be rewarded and those that pay more, get more.

But, reading these posts at Cruise Critic, almost seems to send a message of class division; you're either in the "elite" group or the lowly "non-elite" group. I haven't sailed celebrity yet, so I'm not sure how the shipboard experience will feel.

I think for me it's just the connotation of the word "elite". I guess it just sounds so "elitist".

Now with that, I am in total agreement.

The only reason that I'd book a suite is the extra room. I really don't want a butler, love eating in the MDR and Buffet.

It's probably just the way I was bought up but I hate being fussed over.

Having said all that we are looking at a couple of long cruises, 105 and 75 nighters and we are seriously considering a suite for those.

I'm in total agreement. Now if I was going to be on a ship for more than 3 weeks, then I would consider it. However, for ME, it's not worth the extra money paid. Like you, I do not wished to be fussed over.

I just feel the money is better spent in other endeavors. A room is just a place to sleep, shower, shave, and.... etc. But one thing I will never give up is a balcony. :)

[quote name='Queen of Oakville']For the most part agree with both of these posts and that is how I pretty much live my life in all regards, and i too love getting a deal. I'd personally rather take two cruises in a verandah than one cruise in a suite. I don't think I could justify the extra cost of a suite (although, I have to admit, I've never tried the "suite" life). I will have to try a suite on an upgrade/upsell to see if it's worth the extra cost. I once said that about a "verandah". Never thought I'd pay for a verandah because I was perfectly content in my inside, and then I got visited by the upgrade fairy, and I almost never book an inside anymore.

I fully agree that loyalty should be rewarded and those that pay more, get more.

[B] But, reading these posts at Cruise Critic, almost seems to send a message of class division; you're either in the "elite" group or the lowly "non-elite" group. I haven't sailed celebrity yet, so I'm not sure how the shipboard experience will feel.[/B]

I think for me it's just the connotation of the word "elite". I guess it just sounds so "elitist".[/QUOTE]

Agree totally...

And yes at times there is certainly a feeling here on CC that some who are Elite are also Elitist

I've come to realize for the most part that it is an "internet thing"

Where people say or do things online they don't do in 3D... Thank Goodness :D

And also that somethings get lost in translation (no facial expressions, tone, satire / dry humour, English as a second language, cultural differences etc)

Everyone we have ever met on a Celebrity Ship has been wonderful, as was our experience with the Crew etc

So ya, you gotta take some stuff here on CC with a grain of salt

C'est la vie

Cheers! Edited by Sloop-JohnB

[quote name='Sloop-JohnB']Agree totally...

[B]And yes at times there is certainly a feeling here on CC that some who are Elite are also Elitist [/B]

And also that somethings get lost in translation (no facial expressions, tone, satire / dry humour, English as a second language, cultural differences etc)

Everyone we have ever met on a Celebrity Ship has been wonderful, as was our experience with the Crew etc

C'est la vie

Cheers![/QUOTE]

I came across one such person on my last cruise. Because they were elite status, they felt like they could just cut in lines, push in to be first, etc. Finally after the 3rd day of this at breakfast, I had to say something about her cutting lines. The response I got was a snooty "I'm elite, you can wait". My comment to her was "your [bad word for crap] stinks just as bad as anyone else's on here, so get to the back of the line and wait your turn."

I got this from her: :eek:

And more than a few people laughing at what had happened.

She steered clear of me the rest of the way and definitely didn't cut line any more. :D

That was the ONLY time I ever experienced that attitude on my 2 cruises with Celebrity.

[quote name='Orator']Perhaps you can offer some examples of cruise lines that don't give more perks to those who pay more. What lines don't have a least a two class system? I really don't care what others get. I can get it as well if I pay and that's fair. Hate to be the one that breaks the news, but there's been a multi class system for years.[/QUOTE]

It seems to us that there are at least a couple of single treatment lines-- Seabourn and Crystal come to mind. Whatever Cabin you are in, you get the same perks and treatment . Other than the additional space, there does not seem to be any difference in "class of service" .

We are somewhat troubled by the direction X is taking further dividing the service by cabin type-- you begin to feel that if you do not upgrade cabin type, you won't get their best service/food/quality and the ship will be divided into the have's and have nots.

We are looking at Med cruises in 2015 or 16 and it if you compare the suite cost on X to the regular rooms on Crystal, Crystal is [I]way [/I]less expensive but all you give up is space-- service is top of the line, food is great and all cabins are all inclusive for everyone. So it appears to us that this move to multi class structure is making the high end cruises more compelling and reasonable.

Does anyone else see this and is anyone else troubled by this trend?

[quote name='Queen of Oakville']
But, reading these posts at Cruise Critic, almost seems to send a message of class division; you're either in the "elite" group or the lowly "non-elite" group. I haven't sailed celebrity yet, so I'm not sure how the shipboard experience will feel.

[/QUOTE]Don't worry, there is no Elite versus non-Elite on the ships (BTW, I won't be Elite until after my next cruise). On the ships it doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, how many Celebrity cruises you've been on or what your Captain's Club tier status is, like there is sometimes on here. It is all about having fun, seeing new places and meeting new people.

Enjoy your cruise and I would bet you would have no idea what Captain's Club tier anyone is unless you ask, sans a few that always have to brag.

As somebody who has booked their first Celebrity cruise and after reading many, many threads for past month or so since we booked, and after reading the message boards for the other cruise lines....our cruise is paid for but I'm pretty sure we will never sail Celebrity again. We worked hard for our money and have been fortunate to be able to retire at 53 for Mr. and 52 for me, and I'm just not interested in snobs....I've read enough on this board to wonder if the cruise critic crowd is an accurate representation of Celebrity passengers as a whole...if so, I really don't want to become a Celebrity groupie...way too many self important snobs on here. I have no desire to put myself in a position to be looked down on. Perhaps some of the snobs on here should read the book The Millionaire Next Door. Those who have it don' t need to flaunt it, and those snobs who are so busy shoving their importance in everybody else's faces have no class, whether they have money or not. I am hoping that the people on the actual cruise will be much more pleasant than the snobs who tend to post here. I absolutely hate the class system and self important people it caters too.

I'm trying to convince my husband to cancel our cruise and book on another line. I cruise for the ports anyway.

[quote name='ImaginationCruiseBride']As somebody who has booked their first Celebrity cruise and after reading many, many threads for past month or so since we booked, and after reading the message boards for the other cruise lines....our cruise is paid for but I'm pretty sure we will never sail Celebrity again. We worked hard for our money and have been fortunate to be able to retire at 53 for Mr. and 52 for me, and I'm just not interested in snobs....I've read enough on this board to wonder if the cruise critic crowd is an accurate representation of Celebrity passengers as a whole...if so, I really don't want to become a Celebrity groupie...way too many self important snobs on here. I have no desire to put myself in a position to be looked down on. Perhaps some of the snobs on here should read the book The Millionaire Next Door. Those who have it don' t need to flaunt it, and those snobs who are so busy shoving their importance in everybody else's faces have no class, whether they have money or not. I am hoping that the people on the actual cruise will be much more pleasant than the snobs who tend to post here. I absolutely hate the class system and self important people it caters too.

I'm trying to convince my husband to cancel our cruise and book on another line. I cruise for the ports anyway.[/quote]

A cruise is like any other holiday destination, be it in a resort, in hotel in a city, or on a cruise ship: you'll meet all different kinds of people. Don't worry and have a great time.

Regarding dining, there have always been dining rooms on Celebrity that are just for people who are willing to pay more: they're called Specialty Restaurants! In any case, I don't really care if Celebrity creates perks for suite passengers that the rest of us don't get, as long as they don't lock me below deck and ban me from the lifeboats if we're sinking!

[quote name='ImaginationCruiseBride']As somebody who has booked their first Celebrity cruise and after reading many, many threads for past month or so since we booked, and after reading the message boards for the other cruise lines....our cruise is paid for but I'm pretty sure we will never sail Celebrity again. We worked hard for our money and have been fortunate to be able to retire at 53 for Mr. and 52 for me, and I'm just not interested in snobs....I've read enough on this board to wonder if the cruise critic crowd is an accurate representation of Celebrity passengers as a whole...if so, I really don't want to become a Celebrity groupie...way too many self important snobs on here. I have no desire to put myself in a position to be looked down on. Perhaps some of the snobs on here should read the book The Millionaire Next Door. Those who have it don' t need to flaunt it, and those snobs who are so busy shoving their importance in everybody else's faces have no class, whether they have money or not. I am hoping that the people on the actual cruise will be much more pleasant than the snobs who tend to post here. I absolutely hate the class system and self important people it caters too.

I'm trying to convince my husband to cancel our cruise and book on another line. I cruise for the ports anyway.[/quote]

All the mass market (and luxury lines also, for that matter) have suites with added benefits. I doubt anyone will know or care what cabin you are in. Most people are too busy just enjoying their vacation that worry about someone else.

Afterthought: Twice aboard a Royal Caribbean ship, we've happened to meet people that were in the Royal Family Suite (I think that's what it's called...the suite with the baby grand). Anyway, those people were so excited to be in the cabin they were bursting at the seams. In a very positive, good way. Both groups invited us to tour the cabin which was very nice. I'll never book that cabin but it was fun to see. Neither were snobbish or pretentious. Not that it doesn't happen. Edited by galavant3

[quote name='NLH Arizona']Don't worry, there is no Elite versus non-Elite on the ships (BTW, I won't be Elite until after my next cruise). On the ships it doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, how many Celebrity cruises you've been on or what your Captain's Club tier status is, like there is sometimes on here. It is all about having fun, seeing new places and meeting new people.

Enjoy your cruise and I would bet you would have no idea what Captain's Club tier anyone is unless you ask, sans a few that always have to brag.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sloop-JohnB']Agree totally...

And yes at times there is certainly a feeling here on CC that some who are Elite are also Elitist

C'est la vie

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Thanks! i appreciate the positive words about how the shipboard experience will be different.

I look forward to posting a positive review of my first cruise!

While I don't agree with your assessment of the majority of people on this board, I think you will find that CC'ers constitute only a small minority of the cruising public. I'm sure that you've found that to be the case on the other cruise lines you've sailed -- X is no different.

Bottom line: Cruise ships are not that much different from any other populated place on the planet. If you go there looking for jerks and snobs, that's what you'll find. However, if you look for nice folks who are having a good time, you're sure to run into some of those too.