Your thoughts about the future of dining on Celebrity?

vulcan1971

Would you want "Dynamic Dining" to come to Celebrity?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want "Dynamic Dining" to come to Celebrity?

How did you get that crystal ball you are using to predict the future? Can I borrow it? I have a few things I'd like to know in advance, especially the next Lotto winning numbers.

I always have to laugh at people who have convinced themselves that they can predict the future with absolute certainty. Must be exciting being so absolutely certain of everything. :)

easy, look at the current trends, and thou shall see the future...

I don't appreciate my comments being called hypocritical. You would be wise to keep the hyperbole to a minimum.

I accused no one of being hypocritical, I only suggested that a thread of argument is "somewhat hypocritical". If you inferred from this comment that I was accusing you, I apologize, as I clearly could have chosen a different set of words.

The singular point I was making was that it is a weak argument to be against something because it might require advance planning when there is already advance planning happening.

I would rather plan once and be done with it than have to plan and reserve dinner every night of a cruise, especially the longer ones which we prefer.

Make dinner reservations once, or make dinner reservations every day. Not the same at all. The scheduling conflicts you are using as an argument against traditional dining are minor and infrequent, requiring very little planning effort.

I agree, traditional dining is the easiest choice in that planning, as not only is there only one choice to be made, but it is a comfortable choice. Folks probably already know how it works, and know how to work their other planning around it. And as you also state later, there are things about traditional dining that are appealing to many (including me), such as the same table, tablemates, and staff. From what I have read, it is not obvious that this is possible without a significant amount of effort causing this mode of dining to be much more complicated.

Plus, you are making comments "based on assumptions about how something that hasn't gone into effect on another cruise line will function should it actually happen to this line" as well. I guess that also makes your argument, IMO, "pretty weak".
I don't think I made an "assumptions about how something that hasn't gone into effect on another cruise line will function should it actually happen to this line", but I guess it is possible. My comments were not about any implementation, but responding to what I believe is a weak point of contention.

The most important factor, however, is that I take cruises because they are a welcomed change from the day to day events at home. Traditional dining is one of those differences that set a cruise apart from a week at home. I can select and make reservations at different restaurants every day of the year at home. It's a nice change to not have to do so on a cruise.

You have made yourself very clear that you do not like traditional dining and favor dynamic style dining. Please be gracious enough to leave Celebrity they way it is now for those of us who enjoy traditional. Instead, seek out those lines that better match your dining preferences. There is no need to try to ruin it for others just because it isn't what you favor.

I don't know where I might have made myself "very clear" about any preference to traditional vs. dynamic styles. In fact, I specifically stated in this thread on post 29: "Right now, this is where i sit, as I am taking a wait-and-see position. It really might be a good thing, but it might be a disaster. Only time will tell." There are things I like about traditional dining that I don't see how they will be reconciled in the dynamic model. And there are lots of things I like about X - including their dining style - such that it is unlikely that I will either leave or lobby for any change (if RCI goes fully DD, X may be my only option for traditional dining). It seems more that there may also be an assumption of what are my dining preferences, just because I made a comment that wasn't to your liking.

He has been all over the RCI board defending dynamic dining. I don't understand why he now insists on trying to infect Celebrity with the same cancerous dining ideas. :rolleyes:

I don't know if the entire post is meant as sarcasm or just the end part, but I haven't been anywhere near "all over the RCI board defending dynamic dining." I've stated some opinions on things I find compelling, things that I think could be problems, and things that I would miss. I am suggesting no course of action except to see how it goes (RCI has already made this decision for some of their ships, so everyone here will be able to get a feel for what it might mean to them).

I accused no one of being hypocritical, I only suggested that a thread of argument is "somewhat hypocritical". If you inferred from this comment that I was accusing you, I apologize, as I clearly could have chosen a different set of words.[/Quote]

I must have misunderstood your point. Apologies accepted, and mine in return for not understanding.

The singular point I was making was that it is a weak argument to be against something because it might require advance planning when there is already advance planning happening.

How about we agree to disagree on this point? :D

I agree, traditional dining is the easiest choice in that planning, as not only is there only one choice to be made, but it is a comfortable choice. Folks probably already know how it works, and know how to work their other planning around it. And as you also state later, there are things about traditional dining that are appealing to many (including me), such as the same table, tablemates, and staff. From what I have read, it is not obvious that this is possible without a significant amount of effort causing this mode of dining to be much more complicated.[/Quote]

Not sure why this mode would be more complicated. Everyone involved knows when dining time is, and everyone involved knows how it works. Seems much less complicated then everyone being served at different times with possibly the added step of making reservations, which may or may not be changed, ignored, or forgotten about.

I don't think I made an "assumptions about how something that hasn't gone into effect on another cruise line will function should it actually happen to this line", but I guess it is possible. My comments were not about any implementation, but responding to what I believe is a weak point of contention.[/Quote]

Again, perhaps I misunderstood your point.

I don't know where I might have made myself "very clear" about any preference to traditional vs. dynamic styles. In fact, I specifically stated in this thread on post 29: "Right now, this is where i sit, as I am taking a wait-and-see position. It really might be a good thing, but it might be a disaster. Only time will tell." There are things I like about traditional dining that I don't see how they will be reconciled in the dynamic model. And there are lots of things I like about X - including their dining style - such that it is unlikely that I will either leave or lobby for any change (if RCI goes fully DD, X may be my only option for traditional dining). It seems more that there may also be an assumption of what are my dining preferences, just because I made a comment that wasn't to your liking.[/Quote]

It seemed as if you were in favor of dynamic style dining, based on some of the points you had made. I am glad that we seem to have similar views regarding traditional dining. I don't begrudge people for wanting more freedom with their dining experience, be it Select, Dynamic, Freestyle, etc. What bothers me are the people, such as one recent poster, who seems to gleefully anticipate the death of traditional dining as if it were somehow an evil thing.

I like the way Celebrity has handled the situation. Traditional is very much alive for those of us who enjoy this type of dining, and Select is available for those who want more dining freedom. It's the "Best of both worlds", and "Something for everyone", and all those other catchy sayings.

There is no need to change it as far as I'm concerned. Everybody should be able to find something to be happy about with the current model. :D

Nice to see that the overwhelming majority (76.69% at time of this post) favor the current model and do not want Celebrity to follow RCI's diminishing of the dining experience.

Edited by boogs

I like it the way it is. We prefer Select dining, but are ok with traditional (late) as well. I'm on vacation; I don't want to have to figure out where I want to eat, which menu sounds the best--I've heard that each restaurant serves just one menu the whole week--and run around trying to make reservations. I can do that at home!

I also worry that it is the beginning of the end of included dining,except for the buffet and grill. I want a decent meal included in the cruise price like it is now, not an extra charge every night.

I agree, traditional dining is the easiest choice in that planning, as not only is there only one choice to be made, but it is a comfortable choice. Folks probably already know how it works, and know how to work their other planning around it. And as you also state later, there are things about traditional dining that are appealing to many (including me), such as the same table, tablemates, and staff. From what I have read, it is not obvious that this is possible without a significant amount of effort causing this mode of dining to be much more complicated.

I should proofread better before clicking submit. What I intended in that last sentence was:

From what I have read about RCI's Dynamic Dining, it is not obvious that this is possible (keeping same tables/staff/guests) without a significant amount of effort causing this mode of dining to be much more complicated.

I voted no to Dynamic Dining on Celebrity, but I do feel it is a good concept for RCI. Would more, smaller different restaurants be a good idea on Celebrity? Maybe.

Okay, obviously I might be confused or just sitting on the fence about this. :rolleyes:

You know what I miss? Open seating dining on QE2. Of course that was a class system. If your were in the "Grills" or in "Columbia / Caronia" restaurants (they kept changing names and locations!), you had an assigned table / wait staff. and you just showed up during the dinner hours. Now, if you were in "Mauretania" (steerage), there you had early and late seating.

Today, Cunard has changed, and only the Grills ($$$$$$) have open seating and everyone else in "Britannia" has early and late.

Recently, I have been doing some reading about how "Dynamic Dining" is supposed to work on board the RCI Quantum of the Seas. This got me to thinking about what kinds of changes one might expect to see on Celebrity ships.

I've included a link to a recent discussion from the RCI board just for some informative fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2117630

Just wondering what folks here would like to see change or improve over time? Do you think Celebrity will go the same way as RCI and implement a version of dynamic dining?

I do like how easy it is to navigate the RCI website and know that there are many problems/issues with the Celebrity website. However, with that said, I don't want this thread to spiral into a rant about the Celebrity website.

If your posts could focus on ideas and wishes about what you would like to see implemented or would improve your dining experience when you cruise with Celebrity.

Also, I included a poll at the top of this thread.

Celebrity has a long ways to go to meet our expectations when it comes to dining. Even though we are elite on X, we realized a few years back there was more hype (or PR) to X's promises then reality. We stick to Room Service and the buffet on x. While we typically do Room Service for breakfast on Princess and HAL and Cunard, we find the traditional personalized service on the other lines where we are able to order off menu every night and have a great experience is far superor to X. We even tried Blu and did not not feel it compared to a similar cruise on the Ruby Princess in the Carribean. We did X for one week and the Ruby for one week. We are very happy with Room Service and the buffet on X.

Just got of the Silhouette, on a 14 day Mediterranean, out of Rome. We did not eat in the MDR one night, did not try any of the SR either - menues did not appeal to us, we stuck with the buffet and Rome Service. While on this cruise, I was struck by the promotions, in which X trys to promote that they want passengers to feel like celebrities.... I guess I am too old, I am not looking to be a celebrity... I am looking for a traditional cruise experience, I don't need to meet the officers, dance or play bocci ball with the officers, I don't need someone to plan and out of the world experience for me in port.... I have been traveling for 30+ years, I am very happy exploring ports on my own and enjoying days at sea in between interesting ports. I don't cruise X often, suspect it is not the cruise line for me. Princess, HAL, Cunard are my speed, love traditional dining, do late traditional on these lines, love being able to order off menu, love walking the main decks on traditional designed ships... Celebrity has changed over the years, the older ships were more traditional. Even Princess is copying X with it's newest ships, which we will not book.

I guess, for X to meet my expectations, it would have to go back to a more traditional cruise experience.

It is Select for us,

To be told what time to eat Is like being at summer camp :rolleyes:

Each cruise we meet a lot new people and get a chance to eat dinner with them , always ask for sharing table of 6

I do not like it when a waiter thinks they know me and brings me a drink before I ask for it, as I usually have different drink each night, sometimes coffee, sometimes tea, or just water

On our Silhouette Holy Land cruise is was 2/1 night everynight in the speciality restaurant. Most people thought even at 1/2 price it was nort worth it, as the food in the MDR was almost just as good

I vote no to dynamic seating on celebrity. we have tried the freestyle dining on NCL a couple of times and found the service to be indifferent towards us and for that reason have not been back to NCL. We prefer the traditional seating on celebrity. also have traveled with upward of 20 family members and traditional seating is the only thing that works. don't need 20 different thoughts of when or where to eat. Its comforting to know that our waiter has a bowl of pats of butter at the table for those who have requested it early in the cruise and the bowls of lemon wedges at the table for those who have to have lemon wedge in the glass of water. those small things of attention help make the cruise dinner experience more enjoyable. If we were to travel as a couple we may choose the freestyle or select dining only because its just us

but for now leave the dining as is

one of the reasons we booked our 1st celebrity cruise is what I perceive to be good food. The offerings on RCCL IOS were just fine for our needs, hoping the Summit's is a step up the food chain;)

another plus was that select dining was offered.:) It has served us well over the years. We tend to do long, active excursions and never sure if we will need a nap pre dinner upon returning to the ship. I do tend to book a set time around 7 pm. If we can't 'get it together', have never been turned away if we cancel and show up later.

I am a long-time Disney fan and am working thru the new 'schedule everything':rolleyes: with them. I'd really hate to see this extreme commando planing extended to dining on a cruise wherein I want some flexibility other than the buffet.

Re DCL, yes, the dining rotation is great concept. However, unless you do secure the early dining (quite the feat with many families with small children who want to eat early), then you are doing the production show pre-dinner which is just not our cup of tea.

We tend to do the OOP dining at least once per cruise. When we sailed NCL after the first night and the awful service/food, we wound up reserving in their restaurants the rest of the week.

I like it the way it is. We prefer Select dining, but are ok with traditional (late) as well. I'm on vacation; I don't want to have to figure out where I want to eat, which menu sounds the best--I've heard that each restaurant serves just one menu the whole week--and run around trying to make reservations. I can do that at home!

My guess is you don't do many vacations other than cruises. What you described is exactly what we do on every trip we take other than cruising.

Can't figure those that say NO NO NO, yet they do Select Dining (frequently different servers/tables every night), or Blu (more limited menu), or do Specialty restaurants a couple nights (same menu every night) and say Dynamic Dining would be a disaster.

We would try it in a heartbeat. If it doesn't work for us, so what? We try something different the next time. A great quote I remember and try to live by:

"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."

What He said......

I have been following the Quantum board and also some other sites and while it's new and there are probably a lot of things to work out, I have been reading that many cruisers are unable to book the dates and times they want in each restaurant and it taking up to 2 hours on the phone or more to make reservations and they still cannot get it all done.

Now the number one reason we fell in love with cruising (besides being on the water) was that we did not have to worry about where/when we were going to dinner. We didn't need reservations, our table was waiting for us with staff who treated us like "celebrities."

Please do not bring dynamic dining to Celebrity. Heck I even want them to get rid of Select Dining and go back to totally traditional in the MDR. But that won't happen.

Hear! Hear!

Not all change is for the better. After 65 years of dealing with change, I can vouch for that simple fact. Dealing with bad changes is not what I would call "living", unless the word "hell" was included. ;)

Not all change is for the better. After 65 years of dealing with change, I can vouch for that simple fact. Dealing with bad changes is not what I would call "living", unless the word "hell" was included. ;)

People like that poster only want change when it works in their favor. When it doesn't, they will complain just as loudly as anyone else about it. As long as it's good for them, they will lecture the rest of us with some condescending pseudo inspirational saying such as "If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living." When it isn't, that catchy saying is brushed aside as quickly as possible. :rolleyes:

Edited by fortinweb

My guess is you don't do many vacations other than cruises. What you described is exactly what we do on every trip we take other than cruising.

Can't figure those that say NO NO NO, yet they do Select Dining (frequently different servers/tables every night), or Blu (more limited menu), or do Specialty restaurants a couple nights (same menu every night) and say Dynamic Dining would be a disaster.

We would try it in a heartbeat. If it doesn't work for us, so what? We try something different the next time. A great quote I remember and try to live by:

We are another couple who like Traditional, and part of it is because we don't have to make a lot of decisions...

We dine late... We like the routine.

Back to the cabin - Hors d'ouvres & a drink - Shower - Sailaway on the Balcony - Dress for Dinner - Martinis with Friends - Dinner

Agree with BOOGS & SHERIFFJOE very predictable... Very relaxing and we have met great people, both Tablemates & Crew

Select doesn't have to be much different. One can set a standard time... Or just show up, as Reservations ARE NOT a requirement.

Specialty Dining, and as I understand it Dynamic Dining WILL REQUIRE RESERVATIONS

Too much work for me... Too much to think about / be concerned about on vacation

For the record, the majority of our land vacations we "wing it" and don't make reservations either... We just show up to places as the mood strikes us

The downside is yes... At times we get told there is no room. C'est la vie

The downside on a ship tho is you are a captive audience... If you don't have a Rezzy then you cannot just drive somewhere else... You have to deal with what is in the "neighbourhood"... And that could be just The Buffet or Room Service :(

And I am sorry, but this would be one thing on a Celebrity Ship... But truly something else on a mega RCCL Ship... Everyone needing to make a Rezzy for Dinner. OMGosh... Cannot even imagine 3000 people having to do this every.single.day.all.cruise.long !! :eek:

No doubt some folks would never seem to get where they want to :rolleyes:

And as for change = growth

Seriously ?? Two different things.

Sorry but I do not believe that EVERYTHING in the world today is better than it was 50 or 100 years ago.

"It often takes man a lifetime to realize / admit the follies of his youth"

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Specialty Dining, and as I understand it Dynamic Dining WILL REQUIRE RESERVATIONS.

Like Select dining, I don't believe it is required for either. As any land-based venue, if you want a table at a specific restaurant at a specific time, it is best to have a reservation. But if you walk in and there is space available, you will be seated (though there may possibly be a short wait).

I think the general misconception for non-traditional dining is that a reservation is required. Suggested: yes, required: no.

DW and I have enjoyed many cruises on X. On our last cruise we were on our first S Class ship. I didn't care for it as much as the M Class ships or even the Century. I'm just getting old, I guess. I'm not the target audience for the newer features of the bigger ships (and certainly not the megaships).

I obviously voted NO to this question since I seem to be stuck in my ways.

In fact, I'm now aware that I didn't care for the Solstice and its entertainment, and I find myself perusing Cunard offerings first when I book cruises. My next cruise reservation is on the Queen Victoria. Up until my last cruise on the Solstice, Celebrity was always my cruise line of choice. I may feel better once I get back onto an M Class ship. We shall see.

I remember that even as late as 6 months ago I was really looking forward to being Elite on X on my next cruise. Now, I don't really even care.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

We love the traditional dining on Celebrity and voted no. Having said that, the Quantum and the Anthem are being built around the concept of Dynamic Dining with multiple venues to choose from.

We are doing a BtoB combining the Reflection with the Anthem. We will do traditional dining on the Reflection with a couple of formal evenings; and we will do the Dynamic dining on the Anthem with four formal evenings, as we have selected the Grande Restaurant on four of the 14 evenings.

Both are great, but different.

Unless Celebrity was to do a major "refit" of their ships, Dynamic Dining is not in it's cards.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I think it all depends on the cruise and ports.... I've done mostly Caribbean 7 or 10 night cruises when traditional works great.... lots of R&R time....plenty of time to dine ... Traditional works well as you get to know your wait persons and captain. That bond, which I observe throughout the dining room is what makes Celebrity cruising so special.

Nevertheless, coming off a Eastern Med cruise, which was port intensive with lots of sight seeing and shore excursions.... traditional dining was more of a pain than a joy.... the food was great....but I really didn't have the energy to enjoy all the fuss. If there was a sit down restaurant...where you could order a salad and an entree and call it a night would have been ideal if that is what I wanted....something between traditional dining and the OceanView.

I think formal night is a relic from the past that seems somewhat fake in this day and age. Unfortunately the code wasn't enforced....so some with t-shirts were allowed in the MDR. So why bother with the tux and all....

I think simplicity and options will be our cruising future....I see the MDR going away in a few years...it will become two or three specialty restaurants....

Edited by Fogtownrog

Like Select dining, I don't believe it is required for either. As any land-based venue, if you want a table at a specific restaurant at a specific time, it is best to have a reservation. But if you walk in and there is space available, you will be seated (though there may possibly be a short wait).

I think the general misconception for non-traditional dining is that a reservation is required. Suggested: yes, required: no.

Short wait. Maybe for the less popular restaurants. But, as will happen even on shore, the better ones - the ones that everyone wants to dine at - will become popular and "dropping in" without a reservation will result in hour or longer waits. You are kidding yourself if you don't think that will happen.

Of course, a person could chose to dine at the less popular venues and just forget the better ones. Or, now try to get a reservation on board after everyone else has made their reservations months in advance.