Your thoughts about the future of dining on Celebrity?

vulcan1971

Would you want "Dynamic Dining" to come to Celebrity?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want "Dynamic Dining" to come to Celebrity?

I can only see one positive in it.

It may break me of this dirty filthy habit of cruising.

Personally I like traditional:

No decisions about what restaurant or what time

A waiter who by night 2 or 3 at the latest has my drink on the table when I sit down

A waiter who knows what I like and at times will even arrive with one of my likes without me even asking

Not having to meet new people every night, I do that at work [i know that many people love it, but not me].

Just a few reasons it suits us.

When did Princess try this? Which ship/ships? :confused:

Maybe another cruise line?

LuLu

No, it was on Princess. There were 3 separate restaurants. I believe it was the SAPPHIRE and the Diamond Princess. I will research this out and let you know the exact ships. Going over to Princess CC to check it out.

It's not just Quantum and Anthem. Oasis is just out of Drydock and officially will go to Dynamic Dinning in the spring. They aren't waiting to test it, but moving ahead full steam. I am not sure, but pretty sure I saw they announced other shpis will go that route eventually, I could certainly have just read this on the the Royal board, and not an official announcement.

Cruise lines for years made up for this challenge with standardization of timing to ease kitchen staff and servers. As this goes away, with cutbacks, it makes it event harder to execute. My opinion, is that in the current format of larger ships and the enviorment of mass market cruising and "feeding", the best service comes from building relationships with the servers. You just can't feed THIS many people at a really high level, without LOTS of staff, and LOTs of space (kitchen and dining room).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

There will also be the added annoyance of being pressured to make reservations to get a preferred dining time. No more will people be able to not have to think about when and where to dine, and have to plan ahead, perhaps even days ahead, just to have dinner.

You already have to plan ahead: do you take early seating or late seating, and you need to make that choice when you book. If you have chosen Select, you will either have to plan ahead (when reservations are available) or take your chances. Not sure how adding a different set of restaurants adds anything significant (other than you have only the choice of something like Select Dining is today).

BTW, there is a missing option in this poll: indifferent. Right now, this is where i sit, as I am taking a wait-and-see position. It really might be a good thing, but it might be a disaster. Only time will tell.

No, it was on Princess. There were 3 separate restaurants. I believe it was the SAPPHIRE and the Diamond Princess. I will research this out and let you know the exact ships. Going over to Princess CC to check it out.

Got it. Savoy, Vivaldi on Deck 5. Pacific Moon and Santa Fe on Deck 6. Diamond and Sapphire Princess have 4 anytime dining rooms that are separately themed. They all share the same menu (along with the traditional dining room) but each have one unique dish (although you can order that dish in any dining room).

Received the following from Royal Caribbean on Monday:

DYNAMIC DINING COMES TO OASIS CLASS IN MARCH 2015

Bold new culinary concepts, more choice and total flexibility, with no set dining times, assigned seating or required formal nights. Explore the options and let your appetite be the guide.

• Three complimentary restaurants take the place of the main dining room: American Icon Grill; Silk, featuring an eclectic pan-Asian menu; and the Grande, serving refined classic cuisine

• Expanded selections at the Windjammer Marketplace, with theme dinners every evening

• Grilled sausages and franks at the Boardwalk Dog House

• Sabor Taqueria & Tequila Bar for a fresh take on Mexican favorites

• Japanese grill specialties at Izumi Hibachi & Sushi, now on Deck 4

• Gastro-innovations at Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine

• Reservations can be made on Cruise Planner starting January 1st, 2015

I don't mind the "idea" of dynamic dining but agree that it could introduce more stress into a cruise. We like a table for two at the early seating - so provided we get that we would be happy. We book dining before we board and don't have to worry about seating again.

We also sat through the presentation on the other ships where they are planning say, three restaurants, and the suites get to eat in any of them, down to the other end of the spectrum where the lower class cabins had only the choice of one restaurant. I thought class systems to this degree went down with the Titanic.

We just had our first Cruise on Celebrity (Century) and in our opinion it was at best on par, but probably below the Royal Carribean dining experience.

The last time we attended a shipboard Q&A session with staff where this subject came up, the reply provided was that Celebrity is aiming toward providing multiple smaller dining venues of varying types.

Their stated aim was to offer more choices to please a variety of tastes in both food and dress, away from the traditional "one size fits all" concept of one large dining room where everyone is expected to dress the same way.

The term Dynamic Dining was not used.

Naturally, they did not mention the potential for additional revenue from the new restaurants among their motives for the changes. ;)

You already have to plan ahead: do you take early seating or late seating, and you need to make that choice when you book.

Not even close to the same. I make one simple choice from two alternatives, and I am done. The choice is made well in advance, and knowing what that choice was, I know well in advance what to expect, with no surprises or additional thought. I can plan my daily activities around a known dining time each and every evening. And, if I want some variety, or I know that I will be arriving back to the ship just before dinner and don't want to rush, I can make a reservation in a specialty restaurant to make those odd schedules easier to manage.

There is a huge difference with having to choose every night's restaurant and time to dine several days in advance, and then make the additional effort to make reservations so whatever you have planned for the evening isn't disrupted because you didn't get the time you wanted.

We have considered select dining and passed on it. To us it's no more special than dining at local restaurants at home. Select takes away one of the unique activities that we only find on a cruise - dining at a set time with people we meet on the first night, get to know better as the days go by, and often become friends by the end of the cruise. We still stay in contact with several couples we met this way. And some of us actually think that is pretty special.

I have no desire to cruise on a ship with Dynamic Dining, Freestyle Dining, or whatever catchy name they give to it. It's not appealing at all.

Edited by boogs

Not even close to the same. I make one simple choice from two alternatives, and I am done. The choice is made well in advance, and knowing what that choice was, I know well in advance what to expect, with no surprises or additional thought. I can plan my daily activities around a known dining time each and every evening. And, if I want some variety, or I know that I will be arriving back to the ship just before dinner and don't want to rush, I can make a reservation in a specialty restaurant to make those odd schedules easier to manage.

Seems they may be "close to the same", and your comment supports it. I'll grant you that traditional is a more simple choice, but you will have to make it in advance, and as you find there are conflicts, you make adjustments or do things on the fly.

My point was that it is somewhat hypocritical to argue against something potentially requiring planning in advance when there is already planning in advance. There are many good points below that support your choice (though some are based on assumptions about how something that hasn't gone into effect on another cruise line will function should it actually happen to this line), especially the people you meet at dinner, but using a "planning in advance" argument, IMO, is pretty weak.

There is a huge difference with having to choose every night's restaurant and time to dine several days in advance, and then make the additional effort to make reservations so whatever you have planned for the evening isn't disrupted because you didn't get the time you wanted.

We have considered select dining and passed on it. To us it's no more special than dining at local restaurants at home. Select takes away one of the unique activities that we only find on a cruise - dining at a set time with people we meet on the first night, get to know better as the days go by, and often become friends by the end of the cruise. We still stay in contact with several couples we met this way. And some of us actually think that is pretty special.

I have no desire to cruise on a ship with Dynamic Dining, Freestyle Dining, or whatever catchy name they give to it. It's not appealing at all.

We are huge fans of Celebrity and it's traditional dining! What keeps us loyal is the quality of the food and service at all of the different venues. The attention to detail and the consistent quality is what makes it work.

Having said that, we are doing a BtoB next summer, combining the Reflection and the Anthem of the Seas in Europe. No one knows if RCCL can pull off this Dynamic Dining concept, as it is all new. The ship is built around the concept and on paper it looks great. Different venues, with different themed cuisines. I have already booked all 14 nights at a nice mix of different restaurants mostly at the same time each evening. What is intriguing is the Grande Restaurant, as it is ALWAYS formal, every night. We will dine here four evenings. And the question becomes, will they enforce the dress code and keep this venue true to it's original plan? Yes, some of the venues require an up charge, but the big four (Grande, Chic, Silk and American Icon Grill) and a few others are included in your cruise fare.

I'm hoping that Dynamic Dining will bring about an improvement in the cuisine on this class of Royal Caribbean. If it does, this would be a huge draw, and we would continue cruising this class of ship. The proof will be in the quality of the product. If some of the restaurants are great and others poor, it will throw off the demand mix and it will be a free for all to get into the good spots. We should know more as the first cruises begin next month on the Quantum of the Seas.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Seems they may be "close to the same", and your comment supports it. I'll grant you that traditional is a more simple choice, but you will have to make it in advance, and as you find there are conflicts, you make adjustments or do things on the fly.

My point was that it is somewhat hypocritical to argue against something potentially requiring planning in advance when there is already planning in advance. There are many good points below that support your choice (though some are based on assumptions about how something that hasn't gone into effect on another cruise line will function should it actually happen to this line), especially the people you meet at dinner, but using a "planning in advance" argument, IMO, is pretty weak.

I don't appreciate my comments being called hypocritical. You would be wise to keep the hyperbole to a minimum.

I would rather plan once and be done with it than have to plan and reserve dinner every night of a cruise, especially the longer ones which we prefer.

Make dinner reservations once, or make dinner reservations every day. Not the same at all. The scheduling conflicts you are using as an argument against traditional dining are minor and infrequent, requiring very little planning effort.

Plus, you are making comments "based on assumptions about how something that hasn't gone into effect on another cruise line will function should it actually happen to this line" as well. I guess that also makes your argument, IMO, "pretty weak".

The most important factor, however, is that I take cruises because they are a welcomed change from the day to day events at home. Traditional dining is one of those differences that set a cruise apart from a week at home. I can select and make reservations at different restaurants every day of the year at home. It's a nice change to not have to do so on a cruise.

You have made yourself very clear that you do not like traditional dining and favor dynamic style dining. Please be gracious enough to leave Celebrity they way it is now for those of us who enjoy traditional. Instead, seek out those lines that better match your dining preferences. There is no need to try to ruin it for others just because it isn't what you favor.

Edited by boogs

There will also be the added annoyance of being pressured to make reservations to get a preferred dining time. No more will people be able to not have to think about when and where to dine, and have to plan ahead, perhaps even days ahead, just to have dinner.

The traditional format is our favorite. We enjoy knowing when we will be dining every night, and with whom. For us, anticipating dinner is an enjoyable part of cruising, almost like looking forward to an event - which in a way it is.

It appears that RCI is trying harder each year to be more like NCL. This I see as a real disappointment.

Yes, and if you search the threads on the Quantum sub-forum, you'll find that, even the folks who want to book their dining ahead of time, are having a lot of difficulty doing so. Of course, the cheerleaders over there are insisting that it's just the bugs that will have to be worked out of this new system. But I'm not sure about that -- RC's website isn't all that much more functional that X's. :rolleyes:

I also agree with Andy's point. My guess is that they will quickly find an excuse to phase-out the non-fee dining venues -- leaving only the ones that cost extra. :eek:

This poll query got a resounding "no", from this cruiser!

Edited by wwcruisers

i would rather plan once and be done with it than have to plan and reserve dinner every night of a cruise, especially the longer ones which we prefer.

make dinner reservations once, or make dinner reservations every day. Not the same at all. The scheduling conflicts you are using as an argument against traditional dining are minor and infrequent, requiring very little planning effort.

plus, you are making comments "based on assumptions about how something that hasn't gone into effect on another cruise line will function should it actually happen to this line" as well. I guess that also makes your argument, imo, "pretty weak".

The most important factor, however, is that i take cruises because they are a welcomed change from the day to day events at home. traditional dining is one of those differences that set a cruise apart from a week at home. I can select and make reservations at different restaurants every day of the year at home. It's a nice change to not have to do so on a cruise.

you have made yourself very clear that you do not like traditional dining and favor dynamic style dining. Please be gracious enough to leave celebrity they way it is now for those of us who enjoy traditional. Instead, seek out those lines that better match your dining preferences. There is no need to try to ruin it for others just because it isn't what you favor.

Amen!!

Edited by CruisingChick

I see repeated mention on the RC website that they want you to try different restaurants - meaning they will probably make it difficult for you to try and book the same restaurant at the same time for your entire cruise. People, like my wife, who are creatures of habit I suspect will hate it. One of the things my wife loved about our first cruise this summer was the fixed time, fixed table, same table mates, same serving staff, knowing that there will always be a few safe fall back options on the menu etc...... a perfect scenario for people like her

I also wonder if at some point things will be further complicated if RC start allowing Suite passengers, elites (or their equivalent), people booking at non discounted fares first dibs on booking - and thus meaning everyone else has to scramble over what is left.

Edited by DYKWIA

You have made yourself very clear that you do not like traditional dining and favor dynamic style dining. Please be gracious enough to leave Celebrity they way it is now for those of us who enjoy traditional. Instead, seek out those lines that better match your dining preferences. There is no need to try to ruin it for others just because it isn't what you favor.

He has been all over the RCI board defending dynamic dining. I don't understand why he now insists on trying to infect Celebrity with the same cancerous dining ideas. :rolleyes:

Edited by fortinweb

Just read the info on Quantum Dynamic Dining which, though interesting, IMHO, requires far too many people to make far too many choices on a meal by meal basis, thereby leaving room for the possibility of far too many unknowns with which to deal. Hope RCI continues to maintain RCCL and X as two distinct brands and resists the urge to blur the line that separates the two.

than what i was thinking . Too many choices and too many people wil lbe involved :rolleyes:

You already have to plan ahead: do you take early seating or late seating, and you need to make that choice when you book. If you have chosen Select, you will either have to plan ahead (when reservations are available) or take your chances. Not sure how adding a different set of restaurants adds anything significant (other than you have only the choice of something like Select Dining is today).

BTW, there is a missing option in this poll: indifferent. Right now, this is where i sit, as I am taking a wait-and-see position. It really might be a good thing, but it might be a disaster. Only time will tell.

There is a big difference between deciding on early or late seating and having to make reservations for dinner every night. For most people, this is really not a decision - they either like early or late dining and do the same time on every cruise. Dynamic Dining is just an extension of Select dining.

I agree 100%! Old people (actually everyone) don't cope well with change and view it as a negative. People are condemning something that has not even occurred yet.

Enjoy!

Kel

I sincerely hope they do not go in that direction. We mainly do aqua now, but will take a break and do select or a specialty also. The main reason why we would hate it is it would remind us of our one and only NCL cruise. I am not knocking NCL, they have beautiful ships, a lot of energy and entertainment and enthusiastic crew members. We hated the free style dining. I hate having to lay out my dining plans, where and what time 7 days in advance. We encountered couples that actually bought that anytime any place dining slogan, they would come up and ask for a table at 5 P.M., no ressie, next table is available at 10:30 at night. It was obvious their staff was spread out between all the venues as they could only seat about 1/4 of what the venue could handle. There are only so many staff covering so many choices. Again, I'm not knocking NCL, it's just not our cup of tea.

One thing that none of you has addressed are people with food allergies and other special needs.

My husband has a very restricted diet and cruising (either in traditional dining or Blu) is the only vacation we can do for more than just a few days.

Two of my grandchildren have Celiac and get VERY sick from even cross contamination of gluten.

In both of these cases having one consistent waiter and dining room are about the only way to make sure meals are safe and appropriate.

I also (obviously) voted NO in this poll.

He has been all over the RCI board defending dynamic dining. I don't understand why he now insists on trying to infect Celebrity with the same cancerous dining ideas. :rolleyes:

"trying to infect" lol

Dynamic dining IS coming to EVERY mass market cruise line, it is just a matter of time... The old ways/people are out, and the cruise lines are welcoming in the new generation!

Edited by jp30338

Hi Everyone,

I vote a huge NO to Dynamic Dining. It's not that I totally dislike the concept - but I absolutely feel that this is phase 1 of Royal Caribbean's plan, towards eventually eliminating most (if not all) complimentary dining options. I realize they will offer several complimentary options onboard Quantum & Anthem... but, the new format will allow them to make rapid changes.

While I'm concerned that Celebrity may consider similar changes, especially if this is well received on Quantum and Anthem... and I totally agree with Cruisestitch - I hope Celebrity will not follow RCCL's lead, and will strive to keep their product distinctly different than their sister brands.

In this particular case ? IMO, I'd be very careful what you wish for. Just my .02 cents.

We have been on NCL a couple of times. While they still do have complimentary dining options, IMHO, the food in the MDR is awful, so that you are "forced" to eat in one of the "pay " "restaurants" to get food that is any way decent. Hope that Celebrity does not follow suit .

Edited by itsjb1

"trying to infect" lol

Dynamic dining IS coming to EVERY mass market cruise line, it is just a matter of time... The old ways/people are out, and the cruise lines are welcoming in the new generation!

How did you get that crystal ball you are using to predict the future? Can I borrow it? I have a few things I'd like to know in advance, especially the next Lotto winning numbers.

I always have to laugh at people who have convinced themselves that they can predict the future with absolute certainty. Must be exciting being so absolutely certain of everything. :)

Edited by boogs