Great British Sailaway

SuzyPaulB

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? The music that has been played over the years at the Great British Sailaway - can anybody remember any of the songs? Prior to Pimms when we could still have champagne if poss!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't it usually Land of Hope and Glory (Pomp and Circumstance March No.1), and then wehn they do the regional bit, its Tom Jones' Deliah for Wales, either Scotland the Brave or The Proclamers' 500 Miles for Scotland. Not sure what NI or England get.

EDIT: Actually I seem to recall they played My Old Man or something by Chas and Dave for England.

Edited by Monorail Orange

Isn't it usually Land of Hope and Glory (Pomp and Circumstance March No.1), and then wehn they do the regional bit, its Tom Jones' Deliah for Wales, either Scotland the Brave or The Proclamers' 500 Miles for Scotland. Not sure what NI or England get.

EDIT: Actually I seem to recall they played My Old Man or something by Chas and Dave for England.

On one Ventura cruise they played Flower of Scotland. The cruise director (rugby fan?) knew the words but none of the Scots appeared to do so. The next cruise I went on they played 500 Miles ........

On one Ventura cruise they played Flower of Scotland. The cruise director (rugby fan?) knew the words but none of the Scots appeared to do so. The next cruise I went on they played 500 Miles ........

How did you know who the Scots were? Were they the ones that weren't singing? Actually I don't think many English know the words to "Land of Hope and Glory". It's only the Welsh that seem to know the words to whatever they are singing.

Edited by dgs1956

I wish they would update the songs for Scotland, I find Flower Of Scotland and 500 miles depressing they are both a dirge. About time we had Caledonia or Highland Cathedral .I particularly like Jerusalem when played for England, my better half and I always enjoy the GBS especially if there is another ship alongside, but I do appreciate it is not everybody's cup of tea but it only lasts a short time.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

~The last sailaway on Oriana we had to move away, it was so loud, it was ear splitting. I think the others must have turned down their hearing aids. Surely it doesn't have to be that loud?

I find them pretty cringe-making in general.

Diverting a little bit, I love the Sailaways when they are outside on deck as we pull out of the port, but I avoid it inside as I can't help thinking of a nursing home sing-a-long.

It is good honest innocent fun though and if people enjoy it, long may it continue as you can easily avoid it if it is not your thing.

Can't help OP with their questions though. Sorry to chip in slightly off tangent.

Edited by Scriv

~The last sailaway on Oriana we had to move away, it was so loud, it was ear splitting. I think the others must have turned down their hearing aids. Surely it doesn't have to be that loud?

I find them pretty cringe-making in general.

I like that comment a lot Jean - does it mean I need to look forward to getting older still, so I can turn down a hearing aid? LOL

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? The music that has been played over the years at the Great British Sailaway - can anybody remember any of the songs? Prior to Pimms when we could still have champagne if poss!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what we remember from last April we had the following - we think we had!

Rule Britannia,

Land of Hope and Glory

We are Sailing

500 miles

Delilah - I think

Land of our Fathers for the Welsh

Not sure if we did Danny Boy for the Irish

The Dam Busters theme

Roll out the barrel

A Scottish tune that I can't remember the name of that's like a jig, sort of - der, der de de dun de de :D

Can't think of anymore, but hope it helps.

How could you possibly tell who was Scottish, English Welsh or Irish? All the Great British Sailaways I've been to have been crowded and apart from friends I've made on board, I have no idea what nationality the other people are. BTW I am Scottish and know all three verses of Flower of Scotland!

I wish they would update the songs for Scotland, I find Flower Of Scotland and 500 miles depressing they are both a dirge. About time we had Caledonia or Highland Cathedral .I particularly like Jerusalem when played for England, my better half and I always enjoy the GBS especially if there is another ship alongside, but I do appreciate it is not everybody's cup of tea but it only lasts a short time.

500 miles is a dirge but Jerusalem is not? You must be joking :confused: Have you seen the fim Sunshine over Leith. I guess not but I can tell you that although I'm now retired as a teacher I played my favourite songs of all time in assembly in my last week of teaching and 500 miles got 400 children up on their feet and dancing. I LOVED it and I wish P&O could introduce a song to represent England that wasn't so boring!

However I do think the Great British Sailaway is a bit of tongue-in-cheek fun and should be seen as that. Go with the flow I say. We always have such a laugh joining in and I wave my St Andrews Cross proudly - no Union Jacks for me, even though I'm a No-voter!

Edited by tartanexile81

Our first P & O cruise we didn't go to any of the sail aways so knew nothing about the GBS we came across it last year by accident and had a front row seat round the pool and really enjoyed it. It's a bit cheesy but fun, not something I would want to do each evening but just seeing everyone enjoy it is really uplifting.

Hi Tartanexile81

It's a personal thing I just don't like the Proclaimers I have never been a fan of their music and again I have never liked Flower Of Scotland. Jerusalem may be a dirge but it brings up a particular picture of English Cities in my mind, but perhaps the whole range of tunes for theGBS should be updated. I treat the GBS as a bit of fun and we have our own Saltires and Union Flags to wave. We were alongside the Caribbean Princess a couple of years ago and each ship was trying outsing the other the atmosphere was excellent. It just doesn't feel the same when GBS takes place when the ship is the only one in port.

Hi Tartanexile81

It's a personal thing I just don't like the Proclaimers I have never been a fan of their music and again I have never liked Flower Of Scotland. Jerusalem may be a dirge but it brings up a particular picture of English Cities in my mind, but perhaps the whole range of tunes for theGBS should be updated. I treat the GBS as a bit of fun and we have our own Saltires and Union Flags to wave. We were alongside the Caribbean Princess a couple of years ago and each ship was trying outsing the other the atmosphere was excellent. It just doesn't feel the same when GBS takes place when the ship is the only one in port.

I quite like "500 miles" and "Sunshine on Leith" but I can't forgive them for being Hibees. :)

How did you know who the Scots were? Were they the ones that weren't singing? Actually I don't think many English know the words to "Land of Hope and Glory". It's only the Welsh that seem to know the words to whatever they are singing.

As they were waving the Scottish saltire I assumed that they were Scottish, presumptuous me!

Hi rickpo

Yes they have the GBS in the Caribbean it is normally the last port of call before they return to Barbados, my own opinion is that the atmosphere is a lot better if another ship is alongside, as I have said previously we had a good Sailaway against Caribbean Princess a couple of cruises ago, another good one was when we were alongside Meinshiff 1 in Antiguia it started off a wee bit quiet but myself and another passenger shouted over (Off Weidersen) to them as we backed out and their ship just erupted even those sunbathing "Au Natural" on the top deck took part. It is a bit cheesy but only lasts for about 40 minutes and is a bit of fun.

Nobody is forced to take part if it is not your scene just stay away from the pool area as the ship departs.

Happy and enjoyable cruising to you, I think cruising is just the bees knees.

• 2 months later...
:rolleyes: why bother its outdated and boring and just an excuse for the cruise companys to sell overpriced cocktails.Give me peace and quit and a glass of bubbly at the stearn of the ship any day.:confused:

Here Here! Have booked on Arcardia for August cruise to Iceland but having seen the stomach churning sail away parties on YouTube I'm beginning to wish I hadn't. I thought I was going on an adult cruise not a children's party at Butlins. I guess the one upside is that the bars will be quiet while the 'Z's are prattling about on deck.

Here Here! Have booked on Arcardia for August cruise to Iceland but having seen the stomach churning sail away parties on YouTube I'm beginning to wish I hadn't. I thought I was going on an adult cruise not a children's party at Butlins. I guess the one upside is that the bars will be quiet while the 'Z's are prattling about on deck.

It is easy to avoid - on our first cruise we went to the first sailaway in Gibraltar and didn't even realise we'd missed the last one as we had a drink on our balcony instead.

We quite like the atmosphere - but once is enough on a cruise. A few cocktails in the sunshine and the thoughts of a 2 week holiday help you to chill and not worry about it too much. :)