Taking sandwich ashore

jantoby

Its typical of this Forum that someone asks a straightforward question and people come on and don't actually answer his question but proceed to pass their opinion on what he should or shouldn't do.

I agree.

There is no should/shouldn't about it. And I can't see P&O being worried anyway. They are more interested in getting the hundreds of passengers off the ship efficiently and in time for the excursions.

Do what you want and ignore disapproving looks from other passengers if you come across any.

I've never done it, and never would.

However, with all due respect, surely the P&O website is the best place to find out what they actually do and do not allow.

I've just copied and pasted this from there, for information.

Guests aren’t permitted to take food of any kind from the ship to any destination visited. During your time ashore, we recommend you drink plenty of bottled water, avoid ice and eat well cooked food only. Beware of uncooked food including salads and fruit you cannot peel. As we can’t monitor the conditions and methods of preparation of food and drinks ashore, guests are advised that if they purchase or consume food in port, they do so at their own risk.

I think that's your answer. If people had done it in the past, it certainly isnt with P&O's blessing

Edited by Lovemychoos

The fruit from the buffet and complementary biscuits from the cabin we took ashore had been paid for, RJChatsworth, in the price of our holiday. Likewise the people who make up rolls and take them. Whether right/wrong/desirable/hygienic, it is food that has been paid for within the all-inclusive holiday price and therefore is not stealing. Were one staying aboard ship one would be consuming the comestibles and would not be accused of stealing.

Taking food, fruit, drinks, soap, toilet rolls, flannels, towels, dressing gowns etc. At what point does it become stealing?

Getting a bit carried away there. There is a massive wastage of food onboard and also some people eat massive amounts of food. That's their choice of course and perfectly acceptable. We are talking here about a couple of rolls and a couple of pieces of fruit. In the scheme of things its not a lot and if you went back to the ship you could have your lunch on board anyway.

Assuming it was allowed at the port in question, i would definitely be prepared to take fruit and the biscuits from the cabin with me. Biscuits should keep a child reasonably happy until you could get somewhere to find proper food. Even if sandwiches are allowed I don't think i would want to carry them around with me, potentially getting soggy and dog-eared. Not very appetizing.

When we cruise Silversea they will happily make you up anything from a sandwich to a fully boxed picnic to take ashore at no charge, so even they appreciate that it might be a convenience factor rather than someone penny pinching or stealing as suggested.

Wow, this topic has really stirred up the conversation!!

I say it's your holiday and you do whatever you like 😊 If you want to make rolls etc then go ahead; I think you've more than paid for it in the price of the cruise. If P&O don't like you doing it then I'm sure that the staff will tell you politely. No harm done.

I personally wouldn't do it but only because I'm too lazy to make rolls and I'm a food lover (ie.greedy!) and enjoy sampling the different cuisine in each port. I might think differently if I had children to feed though....

Everyone's different and that's what makes life interesting. We've all got one major thing in common though and that's our love of cruising! Happy holidays everyone! X

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have always done it. Sometimes on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean the daily papers warn you against it but I think thats more to do with the cruise line protecting their food stocks than local restrictions.

We usually make a sandwich each and a muffin for dessert and we take a tupperware for that reason. We see people eat twice what we eat in one sitting so we dont feel like we are being greedy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taking food, fruit, drinks, soap, toilet rolls, flannels, towels, dressing gowns etc. At what point does it become stealing?

On the day we got off Oceana a couple of years ago there was a family with a sports bag which was bursting with fresh fruit, the watermelon almost rolled out. Yes it was a whole water melon, lord knows how they got it.

The future of cruising sadly.

On the day we got off Oceana a couple of years ago there was a family with a sports bag which was bursting with fresh fruit, the watermelon almost rolled out. Yes it was a whole water melon, lord knows how they got it.

The future of cruising sadly.

Oh dear. I fear you're probably right.

I've never done it, and never would.

However, with all due respect, surely the P&O website is the best place to find out what they actually do and do not allow.

I've just copied and pasted this from there, for information.

Guests aren’t permitted to take food of any kind from the ship to any destination visited. During your time ashore, we recommend you drink plenty of bottled water, avoid ice and eat well cooked food only. Beware of uncooked food including salads and fruit you cannot peel. As we can’t monitor the conditions and methods of preparation of food and drinks ashore, guests are advised that if they purchase or consume food in port, they do so at their own risk.

I think that's your answer. If people had done it in the past, it certainly isnt with P&O's blessing

I'd take that P&O thing with a pinch of salt. It's an all-encompassing, don't-sue-us-because-you-were=warned sort of sentence. They can't seriously be advising passengers not to have any ice in Norway?

And while we're in Norway, I admire those who will leave the ship, take a walk up the nearest hill, and eat whatever they find at the top. That's not for me. And to anyone that thinks I'm a cheapskate or a thief, you carry on and think what you want - and so will I.

As a rule, consuming the consumables wouldn't normally be called theft IMO.

Seems to be a lot of unnecessary criticism being levied at the OP's suggestion.

If someone wants, or even prefers, to take a sandwich off the ship, surely that is their choice, I would prefer to see that done rather than see someone pile their plate high and then leave half of it; that is not only greedy but wasteful.

As far as P&O's comments that food should not be taken off the ship, I refer you to my mantra shown in my signature.

And this same rule then states, be careful what you eat ashore, as we can't monitor the standards it is at your own risk.

If that's not a statement to push passengers towards taking food ashore, then I don't know what is!

AS Ithink someone else indicated n some locations you can't take any (unpackaged) foods off the ship. Though as you are asking about P&O (UK) you are possibly OK but I must stress that in some places [Australia being one] it is a BIG no no.

[quote name='RJChatsworth']Taking food, fruit, drinks, soap, toilet rolls, flannels, towels, dressing gowns etc. At what point does it become stealing?[/QUOTE]
I saw a couple take at least a dozen of the nice beige towels from the Spa on Eclipse into their cabin next to us recently - now that is theft, a bit worse than a few biscuits I think !! Edited by bee-ess

[quote name='bee-ess']I saw a couple take at least a dozen of the nice beige towels from the Spa on Eclipse into their cabin next to us recently - now that is theft, a bit worse than a few biscuits I think !![/quote]

Wow! We didn't think anyone had noticed :)

Cb

[quote name='bee-ess']I saw a couple take at least a dozen of the nice beige towels from the Spa on Eclipse into their cabin next to us recently - now that is theft, a bit worse than a few biscuits I think !![/QUOTE]

They could have been mopping up a leak - oops wrong cruise line. ;)

I think it is more about the provenance of the food entering the country. In the past it has been against the law to take ham into Ireland, and there were barbeques at Us/Canada border crossings so that meat could be cooked before entering the country.

I know it is not stealing, but you may be breaking local laws by bringing in banned food especially if your last port was outside the EU.

We don't do it but I will grab a bread roll and some fruit for the kids and take some biscuits as snacks until they have lunch as they don't eat a big breakfast.

We have made a sandwich in the buffet the night before for them and put them in the fridge in the cabin