Should the M.S. Konningsdam have a signature melodic horn?

rkacruiser

At the suggestion of another poster, I am starting this thread.

Royal Princess and Regal Princess both have horns that can play a signature melodic tune: the opening notes of the Love Boat Theme. Lovely to hear and very nostalgic for those of us who were/are Love Boat TV fans!

Why not have HAL's newbuild also have a signature melodic tune that could be played on the ship's horn?

Suggestions have been made of Christoper Croft's "Sailaway" and Enya's "Sail Away (Orinoco Flow)".

Since the ship's name is a reference to the new King of the Netherlands, perhaps the opening notes of the National Anthem of the Netherlands?

What do you think?

NO !

She should have the same wonderful horn on all the HAL ships.

That is a signature I would hate to lose along with so many others we have lost.

While times change and things change with times there are some things that simply are not broken and do not need fixing. HAL horns/whistles head that list

IMO

Edited by sail7seas

When I hear Disney's horns, they are laughable. I don't find it cute or funny. I find it ridiculous. Okay....... have at me. :D

A few things can remain maritime, dignified and tasteful and what could be 'seaworthy' and signature of a ship than her horn/whistle?

Edited by sail7seas

Totally agree with both of Sail's posts.

Bad enough that the Westerdam has garnered the reputation of "Queen of the Horns" or whatever it is they call her with its totally inappropriate blowing :rolleyes:

I have a difficult time with people finding the HalCats loud and abrasive yet enjoying the Westerdam's display every week.

Edited by taxmantoo

I can hear melodic toots! First time I heard Westerdam, I thought it sounded like music!

I vote Enya! I can hear a ships horns pounding this out!

No offense intended to ANYONE! I took this song with me to the beach in Washington October 2013.... walked out with my beloved pup (now sadly passed) and cup of coffee. 2 magical mornings!

Edited by MishelleMcc

NO!

Ship's horns are for emergency purposes and for use in fog and for signalling to other ships..... as in the International Collision Rules. Can be a simple greeting between ships.... rarely. Usually as a farewell when departing a port. The only signal is for three long blasts followed by a simple short blast.

Anything else makes the captain sound like an idiot. Pay more attention with navigational duties than than trying with the ship's horn.

As for Disney.... they sound like idiots as well!

NO!

Ship's horns are for emergency purposes and for use in fog and for signalling to other ships..... as in the International Collision Rules. Can be a simple greeting between ships.... rarely. Usually as a farewell when departing a port. The only signal is for three long blasts followed by a simple short blast.

Anything else makes the captain sound like an idiot. Pay more attention with navigational duties than than trying with the ship's horn.

I could not agree more. Thank you for speaking up. You brought up the legal aspect in addition to what I was thinking, which was ---unprofessional.

Nope.

There's a very strong association between the Love Boat Theme and Princess. Disney has so much music associated with the company that it's not funny. I really wouldn't call it a professionalism issue, but Holland America is a traditional cruise line. The traditional horn works well for them.

Sometimes it's best to be what you are, and not to strive to be something you're not.

In the words of the great philosopher, Stanley Kirk Burrell, "U can't touch this.*"

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/the-disney-dream-ship-horn-delights-guests-with-six-familiar-melodies/

*MC Hammer. The song is 25 years old.

Nah! the Westie already has a signature horn and that is enough. Is it really the horn belonging to the ship or the captain's signature? Disney's is a cutie for kids and Disney adult fans. Wonder what the condo people think in FT. Laud.

Bad enough that the Westerdam has garnered the reputation of "Queen of the Horns" or whatever it is they call her with its totally inappropriate blowing :rolleyes:

"Juvenile" is the word that always comes to my mind when I hear it. :(

Edited by jtl513

NO!

With all the shopping mall characteristics the cruise lines have implemented over the last 20+ years its no wonder this has been brought up.....people(like the mall people onboard) seem bored quickly & want change when in reality they are themselves boring & need to change!

Edited by Rotterdam

POA1 lives in one of those condos. I suspect he has a good idea how 'they' feel ;)

Yes, I do. :) It's not like any of us were surprised that there's a port here. I've said this before, but horns are more of a bother on foggy nights. Of course, we realize that it's a safety issue, so it's rare that you hear complaints.

That said, there probably aren't a lot of people taking naps on a weekend afternoon during cruise season. Especially folks whose homes face south and overlook the channel.

Try not to feel too bad for the condo owners. There are worse things than living on the beach and watching the ships go by.

I'd venture to say that some probably bought one of those condos because of where it is, and were well aware they might hear ship horns. And bought cowbells and air horns when they moved in.:D

171fe461ce27c5a7765cf8362c6de6c2.jpg

'Nuff said. (Hand model credit to the lovely and talented @Huskerchick.)

They're fine with it. They honk back.

and the passage the ships sail in & out of - anyone that lives in that area knew about the passage when they bought / rented and the ships passage is also promoted in realty ads for the area.

The first time I sailed out of Ft Lauderdale was back in the mid 1970's - it was Presidents Weekend in Mid February - a Saturday - sailing to the carib - and we were the only ship in port. I do not know how many ships are there now but the condo owners / renters have to live with it.

I vote for a traditional horn based on proven seafaring history & lore.....and "Disneyesque" is annoying enough without it encroaching further.

NO !

She should have the same wonderful horn on all the HAL ships.

That is a signature I would hate to lose along with so many others we have lost.

While times change and things change with times there are some things that simply are not broken and do not need fixing. HAL horns/whistles head that list

IMO

I agree with you 100%, Judy. No change needed or desired.:)

no!

Ship's horns are for emergency purposes and for use in fog and for signalling to other ships..... As in the international collision rules. Can be a simple greeting between ships.... Rarely. Usually as a farewell when departing a port. The only signal is for three long blasts followed by a simple short blast.

As for disney.... They sound like idiots as well!

hear, hear!