Anyone Interested in Celebrity's White Truffle Dinner?

helen haywood

Just got an email from Celebrity telling me I could make reservations for a special dinner featuring white truffles to be held in Murano for a mere $250 per person.

Any takers?

I would have to see the full menu.. as I am allergic to shellfish I would not spend the money if I couldn't eat half of what is served.

but if I could eat everything, I woudl have no problem spending the money.

does that cost include wine pairings? if so then that is a pretty good deal.

I would have to see the full menu.. as I am allergic to shellfish I would not spend the money if I couldn't eat half of what is served.

but if I could eat everything, I woudl have no problem spending the money.

does that cost include wine pairings? if so then that is a pretty good deal.

H2OH! posted the Menu in Reply # 2

Cauliflower Panna Cotta

Salsify Root Soup

Creamy Wild Mushroom Risotto

Pan Seared Turbot

Roasted Veal Tenderloin

desert: Hazelnut Dacquoise

[/Quote]

And CALADEZI said in Reply # 20 that she got a different email that said with Wine Pairing cost was $ 350

Lol... Ok, so now the curious want to know... Would you go ?

(IF yes, you'd be the first on this post)

Cheers!

my email said each course will contain the truffles, to be shaved tableside, and paired with wine for the $250/pp.

I am a foodie. And a wine-y. (not to be confused with whiney :) ) And while I could see paying $500 for a once in a lifetime type of meal if one had that kind of money (Victoria and Alberts, I'm looking at you....) I don't think this particular menu makes me want to shell out that kind of money. It's not that exciting imho.

for that price you would think they would pair with appropriate wines included.

It does:

As a valued guest on your upcoming vacation, we want you to have the opportunity to savor this dinner with the culinary world’s highly coveted treasures – also known as “the diamond of the kitchen.” Reserve your seat for this one-of-a-kind dining experience that includes five delectable courses—each using exquisite white truffles and carefully paired with fine wines chosen by your Cellar Master.

At $250 if it does include some nice wines and there is a fairly generous portion of shaved truffles on each course (at least three grams) it is a decent price. Now of course this assumes that the truffles are of good quality, properly stored and still sufficiently fresh at the time of the dinner. If the truffles have decayed or if they are relying on truffle oil with just some token freshly shaved truffle it is a terrible deal. The reason the menu is not very "exciting" is that the truffles are the star and as such the courses intentionally have mild flavors so as to not overwhelm or compete with the truffles.

White truffles (when fresh) are truly a luxurious, amazing delicacy (my favorite food in fact) and (though cheaper than normal this year due to a larger than average supply) are quite expensive. The other day I had a pasta course at a land based restaurant with 4 grams of shaved white truffle and it was $50. Some friends dined at a local venue (Spiaggia) and did a white truffle dinner there at $265 per/person and this did not include wine, tax or gratuity. At some top tier restaurants it is not uncommon for a single course with shaved white truffle to exceed $100 per/person (though $40 to $60 is more common at less high end venues). So five courses with wine pairings for $250 is certainly not unreasonable for a white truffle dinner. I would consider indulging if I was on the sailing but would need to learn more about how fresh the truffles were at the time of the meal.

I just got the email too and the cost in my email said $350/person. I guess I need to pay a premium over those that had the $250 deal. According to my email, there are 22 seats left of the 25 so at least 3 people have already bought it :)

I just got the email too and the cost in my email said $350/person. I guess I need to pay a premium over those that had the $250 deal. According to my email, there are 22 seats left of the 25 so at least 3 people have already bought it :)

That would be too much IMHO unless they are bringing in a top notch chef to personally prepare the food and using extremely high end ingredients along with the truffle (i.e. fresh rather than previously frozen fish) and some fantastic, expensive wines. $250 is about the upper limit of what I would consider paying for this otherwise and even that is iffy.

Here is a copy of the $350.00/pp offer that I received:

As a valuable guest on your upcoming vacation, we’ve got exciting news!

Celebrity Cruises acquired two of the rarest white truffles, also known as “the diamonds of the kitchen,” at the world-famous White Truffle Auction in Italy, and our passionate team of chefs will be on your sailing with the highly coveted treasures.

Our James Beard-featured Chef, John Suley, has created a gourmet, multi-course menu using the elusive truffles to present a unique and exclusive dining experience for guests in our elegant Murano restaurant.

We want you to have the first opportunity to reserve a seat for this one-of-a-kind event that includes five delectable courses—each featuring the exquisite white truffle, and carefully paired with fine wines by your Cellar Master.

White truffles are recognized as a signature of luxury in the culinary world, and they’re almost only found in one region of Italy. For just a few months of the year, truffle connoisseurs from around the world hunt for this delicacy, making the season one of the most highly anticipated events.

This decadently delicious dining experience is $350 per guest and has limited availability. Reserve your seat by Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014.

VIEW MENU RSVP TODAY

We hope you’ll join us in celebratin

The menu with wine.

*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, seafood, shellfish, eggs,

milk or poultry may increase your risk of food-borne illness,

especially if you have certain medical conditions.

Cauliflower Panna Cotta

Caviar, Aged Soy

Piere Gimonnet Brut Blanc de Blancs, Côte de Blancs

h

Salsify Root Soup

Confit of Pears, Candied Chestnuts

Scala Dei Blanco Les Brugueres, Priorat

h

Creamy Wild Mushroom Risotto

Fricasse of Wild Mushrooms, Beurre Noisette

Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon

h

Pan Seared Turbot

Sunchoke Fondant, White Asparagus, Champagne Emulsion

Coppo Monteriolo Chardonnay, Piedmont

h

Roasted Veal Tenderloin*

Ricotta Gnocchi, Stewed Baby Vegetables, Barolo Sauce

Michele Chiarlo Toroniano Barolo, Piedmont

Dessert

Hazelnut Dacquoise

White Chocolate and Truffle Chantilly

Klein Constantia Muscat, Vin de Constance, Constantia

I wonder if the $250 versus $350 price has more to do with how full ships are from each persons targeted mail? Or maybe based on Cabin type?

I'm traveling in a Royal Suite on Sillie Nov 30, our ship has about 40% of its cabins still available. My offer was $250, including the wine pairings.

We're sailing on the 23rd and also foodies! I agree; the menu was NOT impressive enough to warrant $250 per person.

Anthony

Congratulations on your first post. There is always a fool somewhere, and you're not him.

The menu/pairings posted by Caladezi look similar in quality to what one would see at a Celebrity Chef's Table dinner; the vintages are not listed on the wines, but they appear to be wines that would typically retail in the $35 to $45 bottle range; so decent wines, but certainly not rare or really expensive. I believe chef's table typically sells for about $150 per/person on Celebrity so essentially you are paying a $100 supplement for the white truffles (for the $250 price). Since truffles are so expensive, that is very reasonable (with my prior assumption that the truffles are good quality, fresh and at least three grams are served with each course). The $350 price amounts to a $200 supplement for the truffles which is extremely high and Celebrity would likely be making a nice profit and the diner a poor value. At $350 per/person one can have a meal at most Michelin 3* venues in the United States (albeit without white truffles and with a couple glasses of wine rather than wine pairings).

I wonder if the $250 versus $350 price has more to do with how full ships are from each persons targeted mail? Or maybe based on Cabin type?

I'm traveling in a Royal Suite on Sillie Nov 30, our ship has about 40% of its cabins still available. My offer was $250, including the wine pairings.

Hi Curt

Just had a look at that site and think that the percentage shown for your sailing is referring to category's available, not number of cabins available. I went to the other site and it looks like your sailing is pretty close to a sell out. 2 suites, 1 concierge, 4 OV's , no insides and about 35 balcony's across 6 category's.

I guess the offer only goes to people booked on those cruises? I didn't get an email:mad: lol

[quote name='Christine Frances']Hi Curt

I guess the offer only goes to people booked on those cruises? I didn't get an email:mad: lol[/quote]

Do you have a cruise later this month? In your signature your next one listed is not until spring. White truffles are only in season for a few weeks. You would not want to pay much $$$ for them when they are not really fresh.

I would pay $250 for a truffle dinner ((and have)), but it's been at a restaurant I knew would prepare the meal "perfectly" (relative of course). I haven't seen enough consistently wonderful food come out of Celebrity's kitchens to pay even $150 for the captain's table dinner. We do dine in the specialty restaurants when they offer us a "deal" (defined as 50% off) and they are worth $25 extra either for the creativity in Qsine (getting old in the tooth though) or murano/ss united states for the service and table preparation of steak diane and the lobster tail (unfortunately, warm water lobster).

However, having said all that, I know their are some who don't travel a great deal and/or this is a special vacation. I'm sure this will be a special meal, certainly one that will be remembered (if not for the food, just for the price), and I think this is the real target audience.....along with those who just don't even think about spending money, and there are always a few on every cruise.

So personally, I would save that $250/$350 for a nice dinner at home (or the next time I'm in a city with a well known restaurant, worth the price). We passed on the offer...

I forget, is celebrity offering this meal without wine. Given their passenger demographics, I'm sure there are some who would want to join this meal, but medically can't drink...or just don't drink for some other reason. Did they miss that potential audience? Edited by ghstudio

I've had the good fortune to make several fall trips to visit vintner friends in the Piemont and have had white-truffle dishes in almost every visit. I have found the truffles vary widely in taste and aroma. It seems that the early whites usually are of a lesser quality.

[quote name='cle-guy']I wonder if the $250 versus $350 price has more to do with how full ships are from each persons targeted mail? Or maybe based on Cabin type?

I'm traveling in a Royal Suite on Sillie Nov 30, our ship has about 40% of its cabins still available. My offer was $250, including the wine pairings.[/QUOTE]

I got the $250 price. I am sailing December 7 and 14.

[quote name='Charles4515']I got the $250 price. I am sailing December 7 and 14.[/QUOTE]

I am certainly not a truffle expert, but that seems to be past when fresh white truffles would still be in peak shape - while they can be frozen, they would not be nearly as good and certainly not worth these prices.