New Celebrity Check in and Boarding Policy "Disaster"

Travel Hunter

Hi all,

We believe this quote sums this up pretty accurately. From my understanding, we ask people to arrive at a specific time if possible. We understand this won't always be the case due to many reasons. No one should worry about this part of the trip!

So what is the point of your repeated texts emails etc?

Support of spam?

Hi all,

We believe this quote sums this up pretty accurately. From my understanding, we ask people to arrive at a specific time if possible. We understand this won't always be the case due to many reasons. No one should worry about this part of the trip!

Thank you for clarifying Celebrities position. Below is the "complete text" of the text messages, phone calls and emails I received. You can see from the communication that the words if possible were not included. In addition when I called the captains club desk I was told I would have to wait at the port for my assigned boarding time. Celebrity is my number one choice for cruise lines and I have found that there seems to be confusion at times in communication may I suggest that you bring this to management attention to clarify future messages and perhaps explain the reason for the request on short notice. Thanks I really appreciate the official response

"This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on November 29, 2014, onboard Celebrity Reflection. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive to the terminal based on your assigned decks. 12:00 to 12:30 PM = Deck 14, Deck 12, & Deck 11; 12:30 to 1:00 PM = Deck 10; 1:00 to 1:30 PM = Deck 9; 1:30 to 2:00 PM = Deck 8; 2:00 to 2:30 PM = Deck 7; 2:30 to 3:00 PM = Deck 6 & Deck 3. We invite our Suites and Zenith guests to arrive anytime between 11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Reflection.

The point of the communication and the omission of "if possible" is to try to get as many of the passengers to arrive at the times specified, benefiting the boarding procedure for all.

If they said "if possible" passengers would be more apt to ignore the request.

I don't know how many of the passengers have flexible arrival times on a typical cruise, but they are targeting them. We usually fly in same day as departure, so not really flexible, but I'll bet a large number of passengers do have options on arrival times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The point of the communication and the omission of "if possible" is to try to get as many of the passengers to arrive at the times specified, benefiting the boarding procedure for all.

I don't know how many of the passengers have flexible arrival times on a typical cruise, but they are targeting them. We usually fly in same day as departure, so not really flexible, but I'll bet a large number of passengers do have options on arrival times.

The main thing that annoyed me about the communication was that I received two texts. Then two emails. Then two calls which went to voice mails with the same message. I was not able to reply to those as I was at work and not able to. I expected that to be all though not realizing they would repeat all that two days later. The next week I was on the ship and as it was a back to back they did the same all over again. Another 12 notifications. They need to tone it down. Bombarding passengers with duplicate messages could result in the blocking of the messages rather than the intended result. One text and one email notification should suffice. Phone calls should only be done if there is a delay of sailing.

Edited by Charles4515

You said "If they said "if possible" passengers would be more apt to ignore the request." I agree that passengers would be more apt to ignore the request if the words if possible were added. Especially since the request is cryptic, ignores providing rational for the boarding request, is ill timed and leads to speculation as to what this is about. Accordingly, and arguably, the text and emails I received and discussion with the Captains club desk, were not requests but "orders"

Credibility is important in business and perhaps more so for a cruise line, it still bothers me that the cruise line issues repeated clear written instructions, bolstered by a discussion with a Captains club representative, only to later interpret written direction such that it provides different guidance to a select coterie via cruise critic.

A little more communication inside and outside the organization, with the rationale for this late decision and heaven forbid an apology for any inconvenience, might go a long way to achieve compliance and bolster credibility for this communication as well as future ones.

BTW

I called "Tammy of the Celebrity Captains Club" today who unequivocally stated that if you receive the message, "there were no exceptions as to the boarding by deck in accordance with the written instructions". "If you arrive at a different time than specified you may have to wait until your deck is called" The Celebrity representative herein equivocated his "clarification of the instructions" with "my understanding" Is this the representatives opinion or the organizations and has it been communicated to the "first line" customer service reps at the Captains club?

BTW (2)

Tammy explained the rational for the "boarding communication" It seems on this sailing day there were over five cruise ships due in port and scheduled to leave at approximately the same time, the concern is at this port there could be a "bottleneck" if too many arrived at the same time. All of the ships, at port that day, were requested to provide the text and emails, by other port or Gov't officials which may explain the short notice. This is not a new boarding policy by Celebrity rather something that happens from time to time

You said "If they said "if possible" passengers would be more apt to ignore the request." I agree that passengers would be more apt to ignore the request if the words if possible were added. Especially since the request is cryptic, ignores providing rational for the boarding request, is ill timed and leads to speculation as to what this is about. Accordingly, and arguably, the text and emails I received and discussion with the Captains club desk, were not requests but "orders"

Credibility is important in business and perhaps more so for a cruise line, it still bothers me that the cruise line issues repeated clear written instructions, bolstered by a discussion with a Captains club representative, only to later interpret written direction such that it provides different guidance to a select coterie via cruise critic.

A little more communication inside and outside the organization, with the rationale for this late decision and heaven forbid an apology for any inconvenience, might go a long way to achieve compliance and bolster credibility for this communication as well as future ones.

BTW

I called "Tammy of the Celebrity Captains Club" today who unequivocally stated that if you receive the message, "there were no exceptions as to the boarding by deck in accordance with the written instructions". "If you arrive at a different time than specified you may have to wait until your deck is called" The Celebrity representative herein equivocated his "clarification of the instructions" with "my understanding" Is this the representatives opinion or the organizations and has it been communicated to the "first line" customer service reps at the Captains club?

BTW (2)

Tammy explained the rational for the "boarding communication" It seems on this sailing day there were over five cruise ships due in port and scheduled to leave at approximately the same time, the concern is at this port there could be a "bottleneck" if too many arrived at the same time. All of the ships, at port that day, were requested to provide the text and emails, by other port or Gov't officials which may explain the short notice. This is not a new boarding policy by Celebrity rather something that happens from time to time

IMO. "We ask" does not mean the same as "you must". Nor does "may" mean "will".

Of course one can arrive whenever they wish realizing they may need to wait to board.

IMO. "We ask" does not mean the same as "you must". Nor does "may" mean "will".

Of course one can arrive whenever they wish realizing they may need to wait to board.

I agree with your quote, ask does not mean must. I also agree with one can arrive whenever they wish realizing they may have to wait.

In my case the potential wait was three hours and it was too late to change travel arrangements.

It seems as if they used the T Roosevelt strategy "walk softly and carry a big stick" As in "we ask" and you don't comply "you may" wait in the port for three hours. (LOL)

On our last cruise out of NYC Carnival gave us boarding passes according to the time we arrived and I thought this was a good system. I arrived at 10:30AM even though we got an email telling us our boarding time was 2:00PM. I always get to the ship early, bring my carryon directly to our cabin and go have lunch. It's our departure day routine.

Marion

We received the same message on two recent cruises. Had already booked transportation to arrive about 11:30. Was told to arrive about 2:00pm.

Two things - Waiting an hour or two is not a big deal. Have had check in take 4 hours in New Jersey! Also if a ship is coming from overseas it must clear customs with a 100% crew check. That time is beyond the control of Celebrity.

We arrived at 11:30 and it took under 20 minutes from arrival to be on the ship on our last two cruises. They simply are trying to not have everyone arrive at the same time. If your ship is cleared they will let you board. If not you wait.

Suggest taking a chill pill!

• 3 weeks later...

I am Elite in Aqua Class with Mom in a wheel chair. I doubt we will have any delays getting on. In fact, we plan on being there early while pushers are still available. Mom's scooter will be in the room. Does anyone know if they will let her get her scooter as soon as she is on board? I would imagine they would need the wheelchair to board others.

After reading the post about "Tammy" at the Captain's Club it might be helpful to again repeat our experience last month on the Eclipse. We received one of those "boarding time" e-mails 3 days before leaving for Florida to take our cruise. We ignored the e-mail. showed-up at the port at our usual time (about 11:15am) and were immediately processed and on the ship by 11:30. Nobody (and I emphasize nobody) asked about or even mentioned the boarding time e-mails. Perhaps X will eventually change their policy and start enforcing these boarding time "guidelines" but it sure was not happening last month in Miami.

Hank

It's snot just Celebrity who is doing this, many of the other cruise lines are sending passengers emails to delay their arrival time.

I think it's simply a tool to control the crowds. I know there are people who do pay attention to the emails and make plans to board at their assigned times designated by the cruise lines via email. Seasoned cruisers get the emails and delete them.

Marion

After reading the post about "Tammy" at the Captain's Club it might be helpful to again repeat our experience last month on the Eclipse. We received one of those "boarding time" e-mails 3 days before leaving for Florida to take our cruise. We ignored the e-mail. showed-up at the port at our usual time (about 11:15am) and were immediately processed and on the ship by 11:30. Nobody (and I emphasize nobody) asked about or even mentioned the boarding time e-mails. Perhaps X will eventually change their policy and start enforcing these boarding time "guidelines" but it sure was not happening last month in Miami.

Hank

Same with us, Hank. Right before we flew to Miami for our Holiday cruise, my DH got an annoying number of e-mails, instructing us to check in between 2 and 3pm on boarding day. My reaction was: are you kidding? We were staying close to the port, and our hotel check out was noon. What were we supposed to do with ourselves and all of our luggage for 2 hours?

So, we left the hotel at our usual time, and arrived at the port just before noon. Contrary to the e-mail (which limited "early boarding" to suite guests, Elite Plus and up) there was an "elite" check-in line. We zipped through that and were onboard by 12:30 -- and cabins were ready within the hour.