New Celebrity Check in and Boarding Policy "Disaster"

Travel Hunter

On Saturday November 29th we arrived in Miami terminal at 10:45 and were onboard at 11:10. Each sailing is different but it seems we beat the airline busses that normally start the long line ups. Passengers with Celebrity transfer from the airport may be able to enlighten us with the arrangements.

calm down, take a deep breath, it isn't a disaster. Follow through with your original plan. They are asking you to show up at your time, not requiring it. There will still be Elite check in lines, all they are trying to do is keep everyone from coming all at the same moment. It isn't a ploy to get you to book certain cabins, it's just an effort to spread the boarding process out. Sounds like you need a vacation!

I had the same experience a few weeks ago on Carnival. Seems the cruise lines are trying to smooth out their boarding process. Experienced cruisers (like Elite members) will still arrive early, get on the ship quickly without any problems and be eating lunch by noon.

Marion

I will say the best check in I have had was at 3pm. The pier was just about empty. I dont want to miss my cruise, but later after 1pm is really better. If not drop your luggage off and go have some fun in the town or city. You can do or see a lot in 3 hours.

We just got one of these "boarding time" e-mails for this Sunday's Eclipse Cruise (Port of Miami). Celebrity is somewhat out of their minds sending out this type of e-mail, not to mention doing it less then a week before a cruise. So, in the event that somebody from X reads this post here are a few issues:

1. Many passengers stay at local hotels who have check-out times at either 11 or 12. And these hotels often provide shuttle service to the port which are obviously not on the Celebrity schedule.

2. Many passengers fly into FLL in the morning/early afternoon (many on flights handled by Celebrity's own Choice Air) and get shuttled to the port (again not on Celebrity's schedule).

3. Some passengers will have pre-booked various shuttle services to the cruise port which normally carry groups of passengers. Since each might have a different boarding time how does this work?

4. Celebrity created their own "monster" when they decided to extend "priority boarding" to Captain's Club members as low as "Select." On some cruises this can actually be a majority of the passengers. But "priority" does not mean having to arrive at the port at 2:30 pm.

Although we can appreciate the cruise line trying to smooth out the embarkation process by staggering arrival times, sending an e-mail a few days before a cruise is not going to accomplish that goal. In fact, it is just going to create more confusion and alienate lots of folks.

Hank

You are asked to come at a certain time but you aren't going to be turned away if you come earlier or later.

Shhhhhhh! You do not want to give away Celebrity's secret. But it is a true secret since their e-mail gives no hint at what happens to those who arrive outside their assigned times. Rumor (Rumour for you Brits) has it that the "thinking heads" at Celebrity had originally thought about letting those folks (the ones who arrive outside their time) load the ship. But fortunately, the Longshoremen stepped in and said no-way :)

Hank

P.S. Here is an idea for Celebrity. Since they obviously want to find a way to get some passengers to arrive at the port at a later less congested time they might consider providing some kind of incentive. Since arriving late means missing the main lunch time we think a good incentive would be to give a $10-off coupon for any of the alternative restaurants. So if you arrive at the port after 1:30 maybe you get this coupon. Some folks would take advantage and everyone would be happy.

Edited by Hlitner

Actually, it's been running for a couple of years.

Works quite well.

Really? We've been on 4 Celebrity Cruises in the past year and have never seen this before..

Was there a problem with the check in/ boarding process that needed to be addressed? Do all flights arrive at the airport at the same time resulting in 2,500 pax arriving at the pier for check in?

It's just a bad management decision. One of many. If it's such a great idea they would have done it years ago along with all the other cruise lines.

Some young management type trying to shake things up and make a name for himself.

Having said that, I won't let it spoil my two weeks on the Eclipse...as long as I still get my Capt's Club drinks...

We just got one of these "boarding time" e-mails for this Sunday's Eclipse Cruise (Port of Miami). Celebrity is somewhat out of their minds sending out this type of e-mail, not to mention doing it less then a week before a cruise. So, in the event that somebody from X reads this post here are a few issues:

Yes, someone there is out of their mind!

I just got this email for my Sunday sailing on Silhouette. Actually I got two emails, two text messages, and two voicemails within ten minutes. That alone set me off. Then the whole tone and style, the demand for acknowledging receipt and the claim it is an enhancement.

My hotel check out is 11:00 am and I will be at the dock 11:30, not 2:00 or whatever......

I just got this email for my Sunday sailing on Silhouette. Actually I got two emails, two text messages, and two voicemails within ten minutes.

I also received multiple calls, emails, and texts today for my Sunday sailing on the Eclipse. After 6 notifications on my phone in a matter of minutes I replied STOP to the text to opt out of any further messages since I wasn't sure if they would keep spamming me if I didn't reply.

Glad I came to cruise critic and found out I wasn't the only one getting all these frantic messages. I'm not so worried now. :)

Oh well! I will show up at the time I've had planned for months. Even if they mandated arrival times, I'd still show up early, LOL. I won't risk being late to the port, so I'd sit outside like a bump on a log until they let me in if I must. My luggage might make it in before me in that case! ;)

As long as 6 years ago Princess Line had the "staggered embarkment times" ex Sydney & also MSC ex Venice 4 years ago. It is, in my opinion, a reasonable request, however I am quite positive that the various Cruise lines do not expect all of their passengers will be able to comply. In other words, if you can oblige, do so, if not, arrive as per your pre-determined schedule. then just enjoy, enjoy!!!

We got the boarding time email too--our time is 1:30-2:00. We'll arrive when we planned, which is probably shortly before we have to be out of our hotel, so probably around 12.

Hopefully the wait won't be too long, but we will deal with whatever happens.

Bravo to the response by Galer99...

10 or 11 days in paradise is worth sitting in a cruise terminal for a short while.

Our shuttle is scheduled to pick our group up from our hotel at 11am and it's a short drive to Port Everglades. Chances are great, we will be allowed to board as soon as we arrive.

"Chillax"

My flight arrived slightly early, my baggage was available almost immediately, the limo was at the door when I got my baggage there was no traffic and I arrived at the port at 11:30 AM a lot earlier that I thought. I walked right on the ship with no issues, no questions about what deck I was on, or any other nonsense that I received via the celebrity email. NO ONE ELSE had any issues either. Accordingly, I have no idea what the nonsensical Celebrity notification about boarding by deck was all about.

I guess in the future the best approach is to ignore their correspondence

My flight arrived slightly early, my baggage was available almost immediately, the limo was at the door when I got my baggage there was no traffic and I arrived at the port at 11:30 AM a lot earlier that I thought. I walked right on the ship with no issues, no questions about what deck I was on, or any other nonsense that I received via the celebrity email. NO ONE ELSE had any issues either. Accordingly, I have no idea what the nonsensical Celebrity notification about boarding by deck was all about.

I guess in the future the best approach is to ignore their correspondence

I would imagine that some did take notice of the staged boarding time, if you walked on so easily.

I would imagine that some did take notice of the staged boarding time, if you walked on so easily.

It does not look like very many paid attention. I boarded at 11:30 today, not 2:30 and it didn't look like any different amount of people than usual. One guy right behind me did ask if they minded him boarding early and the response was everyone can board.

Sometimes the people who come up with these BRIGHT IDEAS have NO idea what the real world is like. IN theory it is to cut down on the congestion when boarding but in fact I think they are doing more to make people angry. I don't mind waiting me turn in line but don't tell me when to get in line especially when based on cabin location. Seems like a class thing just saying.

• 2 weeks later...
It does not look like very many paid attention. I boarded at 11:30 today, not 2:30 and it didn't look like any different amount of people than usual. One guy right behind me did ask if they minded him boarding early and the response was everyone can board.

I agree and I was told they were not boarding by deck