New Celebrity Check in and Boarding Policy "Disaster"

Travel Hunter

Telling others to show up whenever they want is not helping them. I was on a cruise sailing in Nov. I got to the terminal at my assigned "suggested" time. There was a back up of passengers being held in the overflow area while those that checked in at their assigned time walked thru and boarded.

Trying to buck the system or feeling that you can do whatever you want doesn't help and will only cause more problems that will not be a good way to start a cruise.

Happy crusing🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Telling others to show up whenever they want is not helping them. I was on a cruise sailing in Nov. I got to the terminal at my assigned "suggested" time. There was a back up of passengers being held in the overflow area while those that checked in at their assigned time walked thru and boarded.

Trying to buck the system or feeling that you can do whatever you want doesn't help and will only cause more problems that will not be a good way to start a cruise.

Happy crusing

Which ship & port? Just curious.

Happy crusing[emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

Bull. They have not been boarding by deck and can't. Many have to check out of hotels at 11:00. Those who had later times and waited actually had longer lines! I am on back to back right now on Silhouette and none was required to board at an assigned time. As far as a system there is none. No one asked passengers for a deck. All were allowed to board after 11:00 am no matter when they were asked to arrive.

I don't know why everyone is getting so excited about this. It is a suggestion, not a rule. I just sailed on the Connie out of Port Everglades and received the voice mails, texts, etc. We simply arrived when we had planned to arrive, and had no problem. There was no suggestion that they were boarding by deck, no lines for different decks, and we were not asked what deck we were located on.

So relax, people. You're going on vacation.

Bull. They have not been boarding by deck and can't. Many have to check out of hotels at 11:00. Those who had later times and waited actually had longer lines! I am on back to back right now on Silhouette and none was required to board at an assigned time. As far as a system there is none. No one asked passengers for a deck. All were allowed to board after 11:00 am no matter when they were asked to arrive.

Were you there????

I am telling you what I experienced. Don't like it then go ahead and wait in line.

We were in AQ and were informed to arrive at the pier between noon and 2. We got there at noon and got checked in along with everyone else. And then proceeded to board. We went up the escalator and seen a lot of people in the waiting area sitting and many were standing because it was so crowded. The couple before us was directed to that area. The gate keeper looked at our documents and directed us to go on board.

How long they had to wait I don't know. Take your chances.

I am giving my experience, if yours is different than you are more fortunte than those that had to wait.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸☀️

I have had several cruises with Celebrity in the last "couple of Years" never experienced this boarding issue before. Which cruises did they utilize it on ?

You have been assured repeatedly here that your boarding will so smoothly, and yet you are still bent on it being a disaster. :confused:

It is Celebrity's goal to get everyone onboard quickly and efficiently, so relax and go with the flow.

Happy crusing🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Trouble was that we were notified of this change just several days before we were due to cruise. The airplane reservation and shared ride to take us from Fort Lauderdale to Miami was already booked and could not be changed. I would have no problem arriving at the "suggested time" if I was told that is the policy when I made the cruise reservation. It should be noted that after all the warnings, texts and notifications from Celebrity they were not boarding by deck for this cruise.

Trouble was that we were notified of this change just several days before we were due to cruise. The airplane reservation and shared ride to take us from Fort Lauderdale to Miami was already booked and could not be changed. I would have no problem arriving at the "suggested time" if I was told that is the policy when I made the cruise reservation. It should be noted that after all the warnings, texts and notifications from Celebrity they were not boarding by deck for this cruise.

I am not critisizing you. Reread my post. It is for those that are telling everyone to just show up whenever they want and they will have no problem with getting on board. It may vary from cruise to cruise but don't be disappointed when you show up earlier than you are supposed to and have to wait.

Some like you don't have the choice but many do.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I am not critisizing you. Reread my post. It is for those that are telling everyone to just show up whenever they want and they will have no problem with getting on board. It may vary from cruise to cruise but don't be disappointed when you show up earlier than you are supposed to and have to wait.

Some like you don't have the choice but many do.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I didn't think you were "criticizing me" I just wanted to make sure it was understood that my complaint was at the last minute Celebrity informed us repeatedly that we would be boarding by deck at specific times. My non refundable plane ticket had me coming in several hours before my scheduled time and I had already arranged ground transportation with several others which couldn't be changed without inconveniencing them

I have no problem with your post and I couldn't agree more with you

We just got back from an Eclipse cruise. We got the many notifications--email for me--about boarding time. Ours was 1:30 -2:00. However, with our hotel check-out at noon, we left the hotel at that time and went right to the port. We had short lines and a quick check-in and were on the ship before one. Rooms were not ready yet, but were ready shortly after.

There did not seem to be a huge crowd checking in, as I have seen sometimes, so maybe the progressive boarding is helping. However, no one was made to wait until their 'official' boarding time--it was not even mentioned.

Different line, same corporation; I got a similar series of text and email msgs while driving on my way from Devon to Southampton to board the RCCL Adventure in early Nov. I was really glad to see that there would be an attempt to stagger, spread out, the boarding. There were still long lines but it could have been worse.

But one thing I dont get from this discussion - what is the big deal about hotel check-out times? Do you all stay in places where they send security to clear people out of the lobby and restaurants at 11:00am? Or aren't there shops, restaurants, museums, beaches, whatever to amuse you for a couple of hours? Jeesh! Take a breath and relax, pretend you are on vacation and enjoying yourself.

Some people are hard to please, there are complaints all over the place about delays at boarding then when the lines do something to stagger it, there are complaints about that.

Sure 'd love to board at 12:01 Am 1st day and disembark at 11:59 Pm last day, but that just isn't realistic.

But one thing I dont get from this discussion - what is the big deal about hotel check-out times? Do you all stay in places where they send security to clear people out of the lobby and restaurants at 11:00am? Or aren't there shops, restaurants, museums, beaches, whatever to amuse you for a couple of hours? Jeesh! Take a breath and relax, pretend you are on vacation and enjoying yourself.

Fully agree. I don't get it either. If I check out of the hotel before boarding time, it's just a nice relaxed walk to the dock, take some pics, whatever.

It's not as though checkout is at 6 a.m., and boarding is at 4p.m.

Different line, same corporation; I got a similar series of text and email msgs while driving on my way from Devon to Southampton to board the RCCL Adventure in early Nov. I was really glad to see that there would be an attempt to stagger, spread out, the boarding. There were still long lines but it could have been worse.

If you are driving in then it is easy to adjust your time of arrival. Hotels have check out times so they can get rooms ready for guests checking in. There is a reason for check out times. As for things to do to amuse a couple of hours, many stay at airport hotels or in hotels with not much around. Plus passengers have their luggage. I would rather be enjoying myself on the ship which is exactly what I did a couple of weeks ago. My hotel check out was 11:00 am. I arrived at 11:30 at the ship.Was onboard at 11:45. Had lunch and a drink. Was in my room at 1:00 unpacking my carry on. They wanted me to arrive after 2:00. Passengers arriving then didn't get on until 2:45. So their plan did not shorten the boarding time.

Some people are hard to please, there are complaints all over the place about delays at boarding then when the lines do something to stagger it, there are complaints about that.

Sure 'd love to board at 12:01 Am 1st day and disembark at 11:59 Pm last day, but that just isn't realistic.

Honestly, I don't see too many complaints on this board about delays at boarding. I have also never heard complaints about this on the cruises I have been on.

On every cruise we've taken, we have shown up between 11-1pm and the longest wait we ever had to board was 1 hour (and that was boarding a ship after it had completed a TA so it was expected).

Not all 2500 passengers show up at once anyways so I fail to see why Celebrity wants to schedule boarding times. If they are going to schedule boarding times, this needs to be communicated well in advance. Currently they are notifying passengers 2-3 days ahead of time. At that point, I've already made transportation arrangements and in some cases I'm already on vacation (without access to email) as we often spend a few days pre cruise enjoying the area. If they notify me 2-3 days in advance I'm likely not going to receive their message.

Fully agree. I don't get it either. If I check out of the hotel before boarding time, it's just a nice relaxed walk to the dock, take some pics, whatever.

It's not as though checkout is at 6 a.m., and boarding is at 4p.m.

In some cities you can walk to the dock. I have done that in Vancouver from my hotel. Also Amsterdam. If your ship is leaving from Fort Lauderdale, a nice relaxed walk to the dock is not feasible.

Any hotel I've stayed in (and I travel a lot for work, one year 156 nights in Marriott hotels alone) has granted a late checkout, as late as 2pm, just by calling the desk and asking. Some do ask for a half day room charge for extending beyond 2 pm.

Yes they have to clean the rooms, but they clean until 5 pm daily, so my room ends up one of the final 6 of the 18 assigned to a single housekeeper to be cleaned that day is all. It's not as if at 11am, they have 180 housekeepers in and clean all 180 rooms at one time.

So the "I have to be pout of my hotel room by 11" is not a valid argument for negating the staggered boarding routine.

Honestly, I don't see too many complaints on this board about delays at boarding. I have also never heard complaints about this on the cruises I have been on.

On every cruise we've taken, we have shown up between 11-1pm and the longest wait we ever had to board was 1 hour (and that was boarding a ship after it had completed a TA so it was expected).

Not all 2500 passengers show up at once anyways so I fail to see why Celebrity wants to schedule boarding times. If they are going to schedule boarding times, this needs to be communicated well in advance. Currently they are notifying passengers 2-3 days ahead of time. At that point, I've already made transportation arrangements and in some cases I'm already on vacation (without access to email) as we often spend a few days pre cruise enjoying the area. If they notify me 2-3 days in advance I'm likely not going to receive their message.

You said "If they are going to schedule boarding times, this needs to be communicated well in advance." I couldn't agree more. Why doesn't Celebrity state this is the policy and let you know your boarding time when you book and document it in your cruise reservation.

My issue wasn't about hotels it was about a non refundable airline ticket and a prepaid and prearranged airport transportation with others that had me scheduled to be at the ship almost 3 hours before the boarding time that they informed me about 4 days before the cruise.

If they had told me when I booked I would have made other arrangements so that the boarding time would not be an issue.

Last week I booked another Celebrity cruise and asked about boarding times and was told at the captains club desk that there was no policy or plan to have boarding by deck!

Anyway I am Elite plus on celebrity I love the Cruise line sometimes I wish the communication was better

Sorry but I just don't buy into it.

-We can manage to sort through all the choices of cruise lines, itineraries, stateroom selection, and the best "Perks" and pick a cruise.

-We can manage to book flights, and for many navigate the Customs and Immigration hurtles required to enter the Country the cruise is leaving from

-We can book a hotel, make arrangements for transportation to get from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the ship.

-We can somehow manage to select excursions, dining times, drink packages, make no end of decisions.......................................................

-And having done all this we can't manage to find some way to leave our luggage at the hotel and find something to do in Cities like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale or wherever the ship is leaving from ?

Give me a break.

And as far as the whole "Short Notice" goes, my question would be what if we were advised the ship needed a deep cleaning due to a Noro outbreak, and were told a day before boarding not to arrive at the pier until 2:00. Do you think somehow we could find something to do then? I'll make a pretty strong wager most complaining about staggered boarding would darn soon find something else to do rather than go to the pier

We're all on this ship together folks. It's up to us to make the best of it for everyone, not just ourselves.

If I'm told to show up for boarding at 2:00 because my stateroom is on Deck 6 then I won't have a problem showing up at 2:00. Why ? Because I know if I show up at 11:30. I'm taking a place in the line that really belongs to the person who should be in the line at 11:30. And if 50 of us show up at 11:30 who have a boarding time of 2:30, 50 who have a boarding time of 12:00, another 50 who have a boarding time of 1:00, is it fair you get to wait longer because we won't follow the "suggested boarding time" ?

I see this as the Cruise line trying to make the boarding experience as pleasant as possible with the resources available. The only way it will work is if we all sing from the same songbook.

If I'm told to show up for boarding at 2:00 because my stateroom is on Deck 6 then I won't have a problem showing up at 2:00.

Good for you. Wait for 2:00. That is your choice. It is your vacation. It won't bother me that while you are waiting to board at 2:00 I will have had lunch and a drink. And unpacked my suitcase! I am not going to store my luggage and find something else to do for 3 hours.

Edited by Charles4515

Sorry but I just don't buy into it...

Give me a break.

And as far as the whole "Short Notice" goes, my question would be what if we were advised the ship needed a deep cleaning due to a Noro outbreak, and were told a day before boarding not to arrive at the pier until 2:00. Do you think somehow we could find something to do then? I'll make a pretty strong wager most complaining about staggered boarding would darn soon find something else to do rather than go to the pier

We're all on this ship together folks. It's up to us to make the best of it for everyone, not just ourselves...

I have no problem with staggered boarding, which is probably a good idea. I have absolutely NO problem adjusting to ports missed due to weather or late boarding because of deep cleaning (or in Tampa, due to fog in the harbor), etc; those are items that could not be reasonably foreseen. You are right, we are all in this together - EXCEPT for Celebrity who could have made this decision months ago before airline reservations, etc and is just playing in their own little world and jerking their customers around. If you can't see the difference between foreseeable and unforeseeable, I don't know what to say.

If I'm told to show up for boarding at 2:00 because my stateroom is on Deck 6 then I won't have a problem showing up at 2:00. Why ? Because I know if I show up at 11:30. I'm taking a place in the line that really belongs to the person who should be in the line at 11:30. And if 50 of us show up at 11:30 who have a boarding time of 2:30, 50 who have a boarding time of 12:00, another 50 who have a boarding time of 1:00, is it fair you get to wait longer because we won't follow the "suggested boarding time" ?

Suppose you have an 11:30am boarding time and your flight doesn't arrive until noon? Or you have a late morning tour already booked? Or you had prebooked transportation arrangements in the afternoon with other cruise passengers?

Would you be willing to cancel and rearrange your flights or all these plans with a few days notice just to accommodate this new policy? If the answer is no then I suggest you get off your soapbox.