Table for two with obnoxious neighbor

hasbro

Well...as someone who does travel solo fairly often - I do occasionally ask for a table for one - but it isn't to be anti-social! It's just that sometimes you get really tired of being asked the same "stupid" questions about why anyone in their "right" mind would want to travel alone. I say, don't knock it 'til you tried it!:)

Or, you get stuck at a table with 5 members of one family who clearly do not want you at their table and proceed to hold an obviously private conversation amongst themselves. Yeah...that's a nice cruise experience! Not!

Or, it might even be, that I'm comfortable travelling on my own and actually enjoy my own company after a full day of visiting, meeting new people, etc and want a quiet served, sit-down meal in the dining room like everyone else!

I'm not saying that it's all bad, thankfully most of the time you do meet fantastic people and have great conversations, but at least I have the option to choose the size of table I would like just like everyone else.

and btw...I would happily engage with you if you were sitting at the next table!

Great post. Yes, it is possible that dining with people who start out as "strangers" can end up being a dinner with "friends". But I find that it is equally the case that it just becomes a tiresome dinner of chit-chat, private conversations and irrelevant time killing. And this doesn't just apply to people traveling solo. We travel as a family, and my daughter dreads the possibility of being paired up with a person who hates kids or cruises on Princess to avoid having to deal with young'ens. So we mostly stick to tables of three.

Just got off Ruby Princess on Saturday. We always requested a table for two at the anytime dining. The first night we were seated in one of the long rows of tables for two where each table is only a few inches from the next one. Seated next to us was a couple from Florida. The lady really wouldn't leave us alone, asking us everything from what type of bread was in our bread basket to what type of stateroom we were staying in. We did our best to give only very short answers and tried very hard not to make any eye contact with her.

On subsequent nights we were seated in the same area, but not next to her. She and her husband were always at the same table. We watched as she annoyed every diner who had the bad luck of being seated next to her. We noticed that several of the diners ate quickly and left. May I add that this is the same lady who badgered the comedian from her front row seat in The Explorer's Lounge.

I guess my question is, why would a person like this eat at a table for two?

Have to agree with why she requested a table for two ???? :confused:

This woman would have been so much happier asking for a table to "share" so she could have chatted with others at her table without annoying those who wanted to have dinner alone. :rolleyes:

LuLu

On my last solo cruise a few weeks ago.I decided to sit solo for breakfast and lunch.That rotten cough had started going around and last cruise was stuck with it for three weeks.So I just shared with my 7 table companions at dinner ,one did get the cough so I sat at the other side.Actually before I decided to sit solo for lunch I had sat at a table were the lady blew her nose on her table napkin then placed it back on her lap:eek:.

I always travel solo my partner who died this May was never well enough to travel.......If folks talk to me I will join in with the conversation.

Asking personal questions is a no no in my book.

I love time on my own reading or gazing out to the ocean,especially on a warm day find it very relaxing.

Feel kind of sorry for the lady who kept interrupting conversations .This kind of person maybe is lonely and has an inferiority complex.There is nothing wrong travelling solo or sitting solo thats your choice.Relax and enjoy.....:)

Actually before I decided to sit solo for lunch I had sat at a table were the lady blew her nose on her table napkin then placed it back on her lap:eek:.

At least she didn't put it on your lap! ;)

Have to agree with why she requested a table for two ???? :confused:

This woman would have been so much happier asking for a table to "share" so she could have chatted with others at her table without annoying those who wanted to have dinner alone. :rolleyes:

I think the lady in question was not a solo diner but with her husband. We are assuming she asked for the table for two, but it could as easily have been her husband who did.

Edited by shredie

Im a long time cruiser and im always amazed at folks who sit alone. I've seen a solo cruiser request a table for one. Honeymooners-maybe. Its a cruise ship with 4,000 people. Part of the fun is meeting new people. This is IMHO.

If you dont want people to talk to you, cruising seems a bad choice.

To the lady with all the questions:D. Hope im next to you on one of my next cruises, talk and ask all you want :)

Seriously? Cruising is a bad choice for those who don't want to socialize??

Is there a rule that you have to talk to people and socialize on a cruise? There are plenty of people with busy, high powered lives who cruise to "get away from it all".

That's one of the best parts of cruising; you can do as little or as much as you wish and interact or not interact with others.

Well...as someone who does travel solo fairly often - I do occasionally ask for a table for one - but it isn't to be anti-social! ...

and btw...I would happily engage with you if you were sitting at the next table!

I haven't ever cruised alone, but I used to travel a fair amount on business and dined in interesting restaurants in each city I visited. The big problem for me in dining alone is that they bring the courses on so quickly that I fill up and find it hard to finish the meal. I tried bringing a book to read and conspicuously showing it to the waiter, but that didn't work. Finally I had success by pointing out a nearby 4-top that had been seated at the same time, and asking the waiter to space my courses in time with theirs. At last a leisurely meal that I could enjoy from amuse bouche to dessert!

I haven't ever cruised alone, but I used to travel a fair amount on business and dined in interesting restaurants in each city I visited. The big problem for me in dining alone is that they bring the courses on so quickly that I fill up and find it hard to finish the meal. I tried bringing a book to read and conspicuously showing it to the waiter, but that didn't work. Finally I had success by pointing out a nearby 4-top that had been seated at the same time, and asking the waiter to space my courses in time with theirs. At last a leisurely meal that I could enjoy from amuse bouche to dessert!

You are right about that! I have learned over the years to speak up at the beginning of the meal and tell the waiter clearly that I am in no rush and to allow me the enjoyment of the meal, and then yes...I pull out my book/kindle in hopes that it will reinforce my plan! I like your idea of asking the waiter to pace your meal with another nearby table. I'll have to try that one!

It must be the Ruby. We got off her on the 15th. We always do 2 tops to avoid those overtalkers. We got seated in a row of 2tops and got seated next to great grandma with perfume from her high school graduation. I asked the Maitre'D to be moved immediately. LOL He said he knew why I was coming to talk with him. Guess I wasn't the first. That was it for the cruise. We never went back to the MDR. No need to wonder if I can breathe during dinner. I'll happily go to the HC.

hmm good idea. If I can stand myself wearing a bath of perfume, maybe the folks will ask to be moved and we can eat in peace! :D

I hate the long line of "sort of" table for twos! Either your neighbors talk to you, which you don't want or you wouldn't choose a table for two, or there's an uncomfortable silence as you pretend you don't see each other. This, I think, may lead some people who are smart enough to figure out that you didn't want company to talk to you anyway.

If for you part of the fun of cruising is meeting new people, as one poster said, then request a table to share. It is reasonable to assume others who do so would LIKE to meet you.... people cruise for different reasons... not everyone cruises to meet others.

This behavior seems to be the nature of cruising. You can be in a crowed restaurant at home practically sitting in someone's lap and nobody will even smile at each other let alone start a conversation. The rule of thumb we use on a cruise if we are at a table for 2 is never make eye contact if you don't want to engage in conversation. With that said we were at a table for two one night and had a nice conversation with the couple that was sitting next to us. It turned out that they were cruise critic members. We found this out when we ran into them at the meet and greet.

My husband and I prefer to sit together without anyone else. Mostly we just want to enjoy each other, other times we're celebrating something such as our anniversary.

One night, we were sitting at one of the impossibly close two tops anticipating a nice dinner together. The two ladies sitting next to us would not stop loudly talking to us and were discussing everything from castration to their medications. It was such a spectacle that other passengers recognized us later on in the cruise and came up to us to comment on our "interesting" dinner.

Other times, even though they're supposed to be separate tables, waitstaff would serve us and the couple at the two top next to us together. We would feel bad if we were taking our time and the couple next to us had somewhere to be because the staff would wait until we were done with one course to serve everyone the next course. Mentioning that we weren't together didn't help.

I don't mind a few pleasantries with the people next to us, but we request a two top to be with each other and not have to make small talk with others.

Poor lady..should have had a larger table! Some folks like to be friendly....but don't always know what other's limits are....be gracious. So far, we've NEVER had a table mate (or close by person) that we couldn't stand for 1 hour or so....loosen up! It's not usually the "obnoxious" person...it's usually the complainer that has the problem!

We got stuck with an older, single woman at our table on a 15 night Christmas cruise. The bar waiter brought her martini after martini and she got progressively more obnoxious as the dinners progressed. After the first night one couple bailed. They sought us out to tell us they just couldn't stand her. Then, another couple bailed. I wanted to, but DH said he felt so sorry for her, so we had to put up with it for the entire trip.

From that point on we have requested a table for 2. If it is one of those with others inches away, we politely ask to be moved to a "private" table for 2. We always scope out the table before we sail so we can put in our change request and we eat at one of the specialty restaurants the first night so the Maitre'D has time to get it fixed.

Holy Macaroni!

We are going on our second cruise this Saturday and we will be making an effort to not talk to anyone at dinner since there are so many others who seem to feel that a friendly person is "obnoxious". I really enjoy meeting people and getting to know them, but if that means someone else is annoyed by me, fuhgetta bout it. That's why we choose any time dining, so we can bounce around as much as we want and meet those new people. Ill just write a note and pass it to neighbors asking if THEY are friendly an not the "obnoxious" type who do not have time in their lives to be bothered with curiosity. (?)

On the record, on our last cruise we met a very nice family that we still remain in communication with. They are from another country, and I myself think that is pretty cool. Had we not been apparently "obnoxious", we would not have gained that friendship.

That is all....

Edited by King Neptune and Ariel

My husband and I prefer to sit together without anyone else. Mostly we just want to enjoy each other, other times we're celebrating something such as our anniversary.

One night, we were sitting at one of the impossibly close two tops anticipating a nice dinner together. The two ladies sitting next to us would not stop loudly talking to us and were discussing everything from castration to their medications. It was such a spectacle that other passengers recognized us later on in the cruise and came up to us to comment on our "interesting" dinner.

Other times, even though they're supposed to be separate tables, waitstaff would serve us and the couple at the two top next to us together. We would feel bad if we were taking our time and the couple next to us had somewhere to be because the staff would wait until we were done with one course to serve everyone the next course. Mentioning that we weren't together didn't help.

I don't mind a few pleasantries with the people next to us, but we request a two top to be with each other and not have to make small talk with others.

So why didn't you ask to have a change of table? Stick the old biddies on someone else?

DON

My question is why did you spend so much time observing this couple? -and then taking time to comment on it after your cruise? But in direct response your question "why would a person like this eat at a table for two?" - my guess is that is what the couple chose.

So why didn't you ask to have a change of table? Stick the old biddies on someone else?

DON

It was anytime dining so we knew we wouldn't have to sit next to them again. For me, it would have been twice as awkward to get up in the middle of of a meal and ask to be moved else where.

Holy Macaroni!

We are going on our second cruise this Saturday and we will be making an effort to not talk to anyone at dinner since there are so many others who seem to feel that a friendly person is "obnoxious". I really enjoy meeting people and getting to know them, but if that means someone else is annoyed by me, fuhgetta bout it. That's why we choose any time dining, so we can bounce around as much as we want and meet those new people. Ill just write a note and pass it to neighbors asking if THEY are friendly an not the "obnoxious" type who do not have time in their lives to be bothered with curiosity. (?)

On the record, on our last cruise we met a very nice family that we still remain in communication with. They are from another country, and I myself think that is pretty cool. Had we not been apparently "obnoxious", we would not have gained that friendship.

That is all....

It's all about attitude you bring to the table. :cool:

Regards, and hope you enjoy your cruise.

I guess I'm one of those 70+ chatty women which you need to avoid (earlier post above). We too like a table for two at night altho we enjoy sitting with others for breakfast and lunch. I can easily get into conversations standing in line to get on the ship or at the post office. My husband can't understand it, but he usually joins in the conversation once it starts.

Since most of the time we're at those adjacent side tables for two, we generally just smile and say hello to the people alongside as we're seated. You can get a feel very quickly if people don't want to engage in conversation. Kind of like flying, some people want to chat, others don't. I'm respectful to their preference. We are early birds so we like to eat and then go to the early show. If you're at a larger table it takes a lot longer and we feel kind of rushed.

The great thing about cruising is you can do what you want. :)

I don't think the OP has a problem or needs to loosen up at all. That is an uncomfortable hour or two that they'll never get back. Why should they have to tolerate an inconsiderate person interrupting their dinner? I have no problem with a gracious exchange of hellos/have a nice evening but we don't request (and sometimes have to wait) for a table for two only to have someone intrude on our dinner.

I agree with you. People who request a table for two are usually expecting just that...a table for two. Whatever the reason, privacy, romance, or just wanting to get out of the MDR quickly...their desire should be respected. A pleasant good evening to a couple adjoining your table should be sufficient to meet the politeness criteria.

Seriously? Cruising is a bad choice for those who don't want to socialize??

Is there a rule that you have to talk to people and socialize on a cruise? There are plenty of people with busy, high powered lives who cruise to "get away from it all".

That's one of the best parts of cruising; you can do as little or as much as you wish and interact or not interact with others.

Didn't say that.....with cruising people tend to be real friendly....As far as high powered jobs, thats an overly used term......Any job, especially if ts yours has its pressures and everyone looks forward to vacation time.

Table for one, two or 30. Enjoy your time onboard and continue to cruise Princess.

We'll be at the tabe for 10 enjoying the 3 hour dinners. As much or as little as you want. YES, thats the best part about cruising :)

Poor lady..should have had a larger table! Some folks like to be friendly....but don't always know what other's limits are....be gracious. So far, we've NEVER had a table mate (or close by person) that we couldn't stand for 1 hour or so....loosen up! It's not usually the "obnoxious" person...it's usually the complainer that has the problem!

I have. She never shut up. it was so bad I changed to Any Time.