CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

POA1

Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living: Chapter 3 - In which Poohby discusses the cabana rental options.

poohby-joe-cabana-closeup-sm.jpg

Poohby Joe, kickin' it cabana style - Nieuw Amsterdam

In order to book a cabana, you have to contact Holland America Ship Servives. You can either call them toll free at 1-800-541-1576 (USA & Canada only. I am not sure what the metric phone number is for Canada, but I think you multiply the US phone number by 5/9 after first subtracting 32.) You can also e-mail them at hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com.

If you want to book in advance, you must book for the full duration of your cruise. If you wish to book for a single day, or less than a full cruise, you can check with the Front Office on the ship. Please be aware that daily rentals will be available only if all the cabanas are not rented. You can request a particular cabana, but it's not guaranteed. If you do not get your first choice, please know that the MR. SAИDERƧ sign is magnetic and can be moved to the cabana of your choice.

Here is the pricing that was in effect when we reserved the Cabana at Pooh Corner*:

• Lido Cabana Daily Rental - port day $30.00 per day
  • Lido Cabana Daily Rental - sea day $50.00 per day
  • Lido Cabana Package - up to 7 days - $199.00
  • Lido Cabana Package - up to 10 days - $299.00
  • Lido Cabana Package - up to 15 days - $399.00
  • Lido Cabana Package - up to 20 days - $499.00
  • Lido Cabana Package - over 20 days, call for pricing

• Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana - port day $45.00 per day
  • Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana - sea day $75.00 per day
  • Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 7 days - $299.00
  • Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 10 days - $399.00
  • Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 15 days - $499.00
  • Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 20 days - $599.00
  • Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - over 20 days, call for pricing

• Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana - port day $65.00 per day
  • Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana - sea day $115.00 per day
  • Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 7 days - $449.00
  • Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 10 days - $599.00
  • Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 15 days - $749.00
  • Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - up to 20 days - $899.00
  • Family Cabana Club/Retreat Cabana Package - over 20 days, call for pricing

*Prices are subject to change. (Admit it. You were expecting a joke at the asterisk, and deep down in side you're a little sad that it was just a serious footnote.)

cabana-setup-03a-sm.jpg

Coming up: More cabana photos and a details on what's included and what you can expect.

Thanks a million POA1!

I am sure you will be rewarded generously by the real Santa (real Santa lives in Finland near arctic circle) this year for all the good works you have done to us fellow cruisers.

Looking forward rest of your cruise review as I will be on board of Nieuw Amsterdam on 25 January.

And after reporting that you can get Strongbow cider on board has really ensured me I should get us beverage cards! I wonder whether I should call HAL that two thristy Finns will be onboard from 25 January :D so they should make sure they will not run out of Strongbow!

My wife and I are also on the NA on January 25th, flying in from England, and good to see all the information POA1 is providing. I asked about Cider some time ago so perhaps there will be some when we get there.

Patrick & Sylvia

My wife and I are also on the NA on January 25th, flying in from England, and good to see all the information POA1 is providing. I asked about Cider some time ago so perhaps there will be some when we get there.

Patrick & Sylvia

Patrick and Sylvia... We will be on that same cruise. Harry and Beth. Soooo looking forward to it! Did you join the roll call? Not very much action on it compared to other roll calls.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chapter 4 - In which Poohby goes into detail about what you get with your cabana, and is reminded of his friend, Piglet.

At the beginning of each week our cabana was provisioned a basket of fresh fruit and two Evian Braumisateur Facial Sprays. The fruit was replenished as needed or on request. We received two one liter bottles of water each day.

cabana-setup-02-sm.jpg

In addition to the water and fruit, you also get a glass of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries or frozen grapes in the afternoon. Your cabana stewards will also make the rounds throughout the day, offering iced tea or lemonade.

Depending on how much sun you wanted to get, you could either lounge in your cabana, or outside in a large, private area reserved for Cabana Club guests.

lounging-poohby-joe-sm.jpg

Poohby Joe prefers to chill in the shade because he's furry and the fluff with which he's stuffed gets hot in the tropical sun. If you are more into catching some rays, there are a variety of lounge chairs, chaises, sofas, and chairs available in the common seating area.

cabana-panorama-04-sm.jpg

There are also a number of tables out in the open for al fresco dining. playing cards, or a game of tiddlywinks. (The lack of a babbling brook makes playing Pooh Sticks an impossibility in the cabana area. Hopefully they will rectify this on the Koningsdam.)

cabana-panorama-03-sm.jpg

There is a separate shower and restroom for the Cabana Club guests. You're very close to the Crow's Nest and Explorations Cafe, so there are additional bathrooms nearby as well.

cabana-shower-sm.jpg

The cabanas are available for guest use from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM daily. If you are on a back to back voyage, you can use your cabana on turnaround day. Typically, there is a special "Cabana Club Dinner" held during each sailing. This dinner is not included as part of your cabana cost, and you may have to vacate your cabana a little early so that the staff can set up for the dinner.

One of my favorite things about the cabana amenities of the Holland America cabanas is the inclusion of the Evian Misters. Nothing shows a commitment to the environment like taking spring water from France, putting it into tiny aerosol cans, and shipping it to America so that cabana guests can spray themselves to cool off. Sure, we could use a wet cloth with cold water from the ship; but what are we? Savages?

Coming up next: Final conclusions, thoughts, and perhaps even a recommendation.

evian-mister-sm.jpg

The Pink Top of the Evian Braumisateur Facial Spray reminds Poohby Joe of his good friend, Piglet, whom he misses very much.

Edited by POA1

I think Poohby Joe's cabana review should have its own thread. C'mon, give that bear his own thread :D

Yeah, he had to share the stateroom AND the cabana, why can't he have his own thread?

+3 :D Poohby Joe should definitely have his own thread.

Let's start a poll:p;)

I think Poohby Joe's cabana review should have its own thread. C'mon, give that bear his own thread :D

Yeah, he had to share the stateroom AND the cabana, why can't he have his own thread?

+3 :D Poohby Joe should definitely have his own thread.

Let's start a poll[emoji14];)

This is going to start to go to his head. Earlier today, he was on GoDaddy checking to see if PoohbyJoe.com was available. (It is.) If you continue to feed his ego, and it gets a rumbly anywhere near as much as his tummy, Huskerchick & I are going to be shelling out big bucks for servers and hosting.

He's already hinting that we could drop him off with people who are going to Port Everglades and he could cruise all the time. (He knows about the 3rd & 4th guests traveling free with four star Mariners.)

He's already hinting that we could drop him off with people who are going to Port Everglades and he could cruise all the time. (He knows about the 3rd & 4th guests traveling free with four star Mariners.)

He may need a "Cabana Club" Club (like a Christmas Club, or Vacation Club) at his bank to save for his cabana expenses. It's likely that not everyone who hosts him will be booking one themselves.

Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living: Chapter 5 - In which Poohby wraps things up and avoids the Heffalumps

While the privacy, serenity, and luxury of the Cabana Club are its big selling points, the thing that made us appreciate the experience the most was the excellent service of our cabana attendants, John and Ed. (We had different attendants the first week. They were fine, but John & Ed were outstanding.) Whether it was moving chairs, getting more ice, securing some honey-roasted peanuts, or fetching drinks from the bar, John and Ed were always there to assist us.

If you wanted them to, your cabana attendants could grab breakfast for you from the Lido. We did not take advantage of this, but we did have the guys grab some coffee from the Explorations Cafe for us. I tried to get a mug of honey, but they kept bringing tea with honey in it. If you would like to have lunch in your cabana, you can order from the Dive-In Menu, or from the day's Lido Lunch menu. Here's Ed with our lunch:

ed-with-lunch-sm.jpg

Huskerchick and POA1 had more burgers and hot dogs than they should have, while I stuck to packets of honey, honey roasted peanuts, and the occasional Honey Mojito*. At various times throughout the day, the guys would bring us fresh fruit or other snacks.

*The Honey Mojito is a real thing. It helps to have a few of the little tubs of "Dickinson's Pure Honey" with you when you order. The bars don't always have honey on hand. You can find it near the jams and jellies at breakfast, or order it from room service with breakfast.

Here is the Honey Mojito recipe:

• 1 1/2 oz light rum
  • 4 or 5 mint leaves
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 4 oz club soda
  • 1 oz honey simple syrup**
  • Garnish: lime wedge

**You make honey simple syrup by taking 4 parts honey to 1 part hot water. Mix and stir. The Dickinson's Pure Honey comes in a 1 ounce portion. Just have the bartender add a splash of hot water for mixability. (POA1 wanted me to add that theoretically this drink should be eligible for the Signature Beverage Package.) It's a very refreshing drink, but it is a little hard to drink if your mouth is sewn shut.

Here are a couple of tips for people interested in renting a cabana:

• They tend to book pretty quickly, so if you think you want one, call HAL as soon as you have your booking number. You will be charged as soon as your reserve one.
  • Decide if the Lido cabanas, with their proximity to the pool and the rest of the action are for you, or if you would prefer the Cabana Club ones.
  • Refer to cabana name list in my previous post if you would like to request a specific cabana. You can request a specific cabana, but you are not guaranteed to get it. The Nieuw Amsterdam has 6 Lido Cabanas, while the Eurodam has 8. Other than the fact that two of the Lido Cabanas are on the end, the Lido Cabanas are all fundamentally the same.
  • Make sure you look at your itinerary and see if you will have time to actually use your cabana. It's not an inexpensive add-on to your cruise cost, so make sure that you will be able to make use of it.
  • On our cruise, there were almost always plenty of chairs available in the "free" areas of the ship. You can have a wonderful cruise with our without a cabana, so don't feel like you need one to enjoy yourself. You can recreate the Cabana experience by bringing your own Evian Brumisateur Facial Misters. They're only about $26 for a pack of 6 on Amazon. You can show your commitment to the environment by having French mineral water in an aerosol spray dispenser shipped to your house, bringing it on the plane, and carrying it to the pool.

poohby-joe-cabana-closeup-sm.jpg

I hope that my little reports have helped you to learn more about Cabana Living. Next time I go on an "Explore" will probably be in the Fall. We're planning a Canada/New England cruise. I am angling for an oh-so-tiny fleece from L.L. Bean or a hoodie that says "Canada, Cabana, or Bust!"

cabana-sign.jpg

When did they bring lemonade around? I've never seen it. Same with the frozen grapes. I was lucky to get them to bring me a glass and some fruit. You are being too kind when you said they were fine the first week. They were exceptional in 2012 and they spoiled me for anyone else. Still didn't see lemonaid then :D.

When did they bring lemonade around? I've never seen it. Same with the frozen grapes. I was lucky to get them to bring me a glass and some fruit. You are being too kind when you said they were fine the first week. They were exceptional in 2012 and they spoiled me for anyone else. Still didn't see lemonaid then :D.

Usually around lunchtime and again in the afternoon. The second week's stewards were excellent. They were probably on par with what you described from 2012. It could be that they knew Poohby was going to do a write up, but it's more likely that they were just better overall.

Both John and Ed were constantly circulating. They would even let you know that they were going on a break and when you could expect to see them return.

Maybe it's because poohby joe is so darn cute:D. I don't think I saw those strawberries after the first week. My butt is likely better for it. I hope my next sojourne into the cabanas will be like my 2012 experience. Lemonade would be good to. Thx for the answer.

To the Esteemed Director(s) of the Institute of Good Cheer,

As one who has enjoyed your lively and erudite banter on all things HAL NA during your interval B2b’s.

I have a humble request.

Due to your both currency and recently of experiences, would you be so kind to think back on your b2b’s on NA.

As you do this, while sipping the days libation in contemplation of all good cruises that way to soon come to an end, consider this.

To top off your dispatches that many view as the go to thread each day, and as you start to warp up your reviews, would you be so kind as to issue - The Institutes findings of the top 5 experiences, that you and your fellow Institute Directors have enjoyed, and are not to be missed on the Nieuw Amsterdam. As an example, I read between the lines that the Pinnacle grill touched one or more of your team’s fancies.

Hi, Mirage -

I bet you thought we forgot about your request for a "Top 5" things to do. We have not.

Here are some of my favorites. I'm sure Huskerchick will weigh in with her own. Then we'll probably put our heads together, and see if there is anything we forgot. After that, we'll call Poppa Huskerchick and see if he'd like to add some items to the list.

That's going to give you more than five things to do, but if you account for the fact that your tastes and preferences might be a little different from ours, you can lop some things off the list.

1) Catch a set of the B. B. King All Star Band.

2) Go to the Pinnacle Grill. Do not get a small steak. It's just wrong. If the melting chocolate bowl is available, have the chocolate lover in your party order it.

3) If you enjoy light classical music, catch Adagio in the Explorer's Lounge before or after dinner. The two women we had were quite good. (When I was in high school, I dated a girl who played first chair viola in the city youth orchestra. While this does not in any way make me a music critic, I can tell good from bad.)

4) If you like movies, the movie theater on the Nieuw Amsterdam looks to be quite nice.

5) If Jeffrey is working in the Crow's Nest, go there for happy hour. Arrive about 15-20 minutes early so you can sit at the bar. (I'd get a drink if I were you. It just seems awkward sitting there, staring into space, waiting for the minute hand to hit 12.) The Crow's Nest bartenders are pretty funny, and happy hour is usually a hoot.

6) If you see Cantare on the list of shows, see it. Make sure to enter the main show lounge on Deck 2. The sight lines from the balcony on Deck 3 are not nearly as good.

7) If you go all the way forward on Deck 6, past the last staterooms - you will see a door that leads outside. You can get some cool photos from there.

As you can see by the fact that we're already at 7 things, there are many things I'd recommend. It also shows you that I am not too good at following simple instructions.

Finally - One thing to avoid at any cost: On Deck 2, just down the corridor from the Queen's Lounge, there is a frame on the outside wall with what looks like a tiny library in it. Do not look directly into the tiny library. It will suck up your life force. (If you have ever watched Doctor Who on the BBC, you know what I'm talking about.)

To the Esteemed Director(s) of the Institute of Good Cheer,

As one who has enjoyed your lively and erudite banter on all things HAL NA during your interval B2b’s.

I have a humble request.

Due to your both currency and recently of experiences, would you be so kind to think back on your b2b’s on NA.

As you do this, while sipping the days libation in contemplation of all good cruises that way to soon come to an end, consider this.

To top off your dispatches that many view as the go to thread each day, and as you start to warp up your reviews, would you be so kind as to issue - The Institutes findings of the top 5 experiences, that you and your fellow Institute Directors have enjoyed, and are not to be missed on the Nieuw Amsterdam. As an example, I read between the lines that the Pinnacle grill touched one or more of your team’s fancies.

Some of us do board the NA in several weeks to celebrate a New Year on the Nieuw Amsterdam and would be interested in your perspective of all the items you have so graciously written about, which have been most interesting, pleasurable and memorable.

I am sure there are many good memorable times, as your writing style is both prolific and informative.

These captivate the reader and draw them in to a new opportunity each day to have this ongoing dispensation of smiles.

Bravo to your entourage and you for dispensing to us currently shore bound your musings.

As I make my way to the first happy hour upon boarding, I will raise my Maker’s Mark to your Institute.

Mirage

Hi, Mirage -

I bet you thought we forgot about your request for a "Top 5" things to do. We have not.

Here are some of my favorites. I'm sure Huskerchick will weigh in with her own. Then we'll probably put our heads together, and see if there is anything we forgot. After that, we'll call Poppa Huskerchick and see if he'd like to add some items to the list.

That's going to give you more than five things to do, but if you account for the fact that your tastes and preferences might be a little different from ours, you can lop some things off the list.

1) Catch a set of the B. B. King All Star Band.

2) Go to the Pinnacle Grill. Do not get a small steak. It's just wrong. If the melting chocolate bowl is available, have the chocolate lover in your party order it.

3) If you enjoy light classical music, catch Adagio in the Explorer's Lounge before or after dinner. The two women we had were quite good. (When I was in high school, I dated a girl who played first chair viola in the city youth orchestra. While this does not in any way make me a music critic, I can tell good from bad.)

4) If you like movies, the movie theater on the Nieuw Amsterdam looks to be quite nice.

5) If Jeffrey is working in the Crow's Nest, go there for happy hour. Arrive about 15-20 minutes early so you can sit at the bar. (I'd get a drink if I were you. It just seems awkward sitting there, staring into space, waiting for the minute hand to hit 12.) The Crow's Nest bartenders are pretty funny, and happy hour is usually a hoot.

6) If you see Cantare on the list of shows, see it. Make sure to enter the main show lounge on Deck 2. The sight lines from the balcony on Deck 3 are not nearly as good.

7) If you go all the way forward on Deck 6, past the last staterooms - you will see a door that leads outside. You can get some cool photos from there.

As you can see by the fact that we're already at 7 things, there are many things I'd recommend. It also shows you that I am not too good at following simple instructions.

Finally - One thing to avoid at any cost: On Deck 2, just down the corridor from the Queen's Lounge, there is a frame on the outside wall with what looks like a tiny library in it. Do not look directly into the tiny library. It will suck up your life force. (If you have ever watched Doctor Who on the BBC, you know what I'm talking about.)

I would like to add "The Island Magic Steel Band". They seem to be alternating between the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam. They are exceptional in my view. They received standing ovations during their performances. :)

Edited by shrimpboat123

Hi Mirage -

I'll add my thoughts in no particular order.

Jeffery and Ryan in the Crows Nest are not only great guys w a good sense of humor but they make an outstanding Espresso Martini.

The Pinnacle Grill on the NA is quite good. We ate there 3 times for dinner and once for lunch. Le Cirque (IMHO) is worth every penny. And if u like caviar (and want to splurge) do it. So worth the supplement.

The Dive In is fantastic. Both times on HMC we skipped the BBQ and came back to the ship to eat there instead. And in the interest of full disclosure I pretty much worked my way thru all the burger choices and Hot Dogs.

The musical choices were many and varied. POA and I loved BB King but also enjoyed Cantare, Donald (Acoustic guitar) in the Crows Nest, Adagio, and the HAL Cats. My Dad loved the piano bar and was a regular. Really do try to check them all out as each venue offers something different.

I found the coffee in the Lido to be really good but for a treat the Explorations Cafe makes a very good iced coffee. And speaking of treats they always have mini muffins, croissants, etc.

Oh and speaking of food we normally do room service breakfast (which has always been good) but since traveling w Dad we ate in the Lido a few mornings. Do yourself a favor and make a lap before making your selection. There are so many good choices from eggs Benedict to pancakes to my fav the English breakfast.

And lastly a shout out to the Cabana Club. Loved it! First time in one and now I'm hooked.

HTH. Sorry so long. As you can see we had a really enjoyable time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Who's up for a little festive Christmas photo action? Good! I've got a link to a gallery with just over 50 Christmas photos from Holland America's ms Nieuw Amsterdam at the end of this post. There's a sampling of six images here in this post, but it's a whole lot easier for me to post the photos in a gallery on the Institute of Cheers' website. (I know some of you are hesitant to click on links that take you elsewhere, but you can trust the National Institute of Cheer. We employ a stuffed bear, for crying out loud. How much friendlier can you get? We're here to help!)

01-atrium_0980-holiday.jpg

Atrium Christmas Tree & Holiday Village

02-explorers-lounge_0826-holiday.jpg

Gingerbread Houses in the Explorer's Lounge

03-crows-nest_0678-holiday.jpg

Solo Guitarist Don Waugh and Solo Tree Steve Balsam in the Crow's Nest

04-silk-den_0526-holiday.jpg

Christmas Tree in the Silk Den

(The Purell is Gingerbread Scented*.)

05-explorers-lounge_0827-holiday.jpg

Gingerbread Church in the Explorer's Lounge

(This is where the Gingerbread People go to worship.)

06-ocean-bar_0968-holiday.jpg

Tree & Presents in the Ocean Bar

(None of the presents were for us. We checked.)

We're limited to six images per post here on Cruise Critic, so I created a gallery with the rest of the holiday photos over at the Institute. The link is here:

*The Purell is not really gingerbread scented. However, the people in Tamarind do love their ginger, so I guess it's kind of plausible.

Edited by POA1

Outstanding photos of outstanding decorations!

Thanks for posting them.

You really are the most outstanding person, not to mention Huskerchick and your sidekick, the cute bear. We have an outstanding need for you to cruise again a lot sooner than September.

Once you are, lamentably, through this outstanding cruise report, how about a report on your Christmas and New Years?

Could be outstanding, or have I used that term too much? It is just that it applies so well!

I would like to add "The Island Magic Steel Band". They seem to be alternating between the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam. They are exceptional in my view. They received standing ovations during their performances. :)

Good call! We heard a lot of people raving about them, particularly their encore show.

Al, the steel drum player was also cited as a crowd favorite.

As DW pointed out, it's a good idea to try different entertainment options when you cruise. You might discover something new that you enjoy. Other than the energy required to go from venue to venue, "it don't cost nuttin'."