CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

POA1

POA1 said "I know some of you are hesitant to click on links that take you elsewhere, but you can trust the National Institute of Cheer. We employ a stuffed bear, for crying out loud. How much friendlier can you get? We're here to help!)"

I am still laughing out loud at this one. and yes, for anyone leery this is a very safe website. Heck I am hitting the evernote (with permission) for halfacts.com.

Go and visit - it's wonderful

I still think the bear should have it's own thread:p

Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways.

I love thee for your depth and breadth of posts,

thy adorable poohby joe reports,

thy clever quips and funny retorts,

thy knowledge of wine and willingness to share

All of your good times while aboard our dearest DAM boats.

I will look forward to reading POA1 posts in the future, but I would encourage you to write More about wine, either specific to HAL or perhaps on your blog!

We have enjoyed your review very much. It is the first thing we read in the morning along with our coffee. Because of your unique writing talent we feel so prepared for our upcoming cruise on Jan 4 on the Niew Amsterdam b2b and look forward to trying out new ways to enjoy some of the very nice amenties on the cruise ship. We were not able to secure a cabanna...they are sold out, however we will try to rent for a day.. so we can enjoy the cabanna feeling. If not for your review i would not have even thought anymore about renting one. We will make a point of visiting all avenues of entertainment and we look forward to dining in thr PG and ordering the Chocolate ball for sure! We have booked all dinning venues as well. We wil go to the Mariners luncheon and have breakfast in the MDR. We are 3 star mariners but really now realize we have not done all the things available to us to do. Hey...I may even try a Wang..wang....I always stick to wine or Crown Royale and coke with lemon! This is our retirement cruise.....we are so excited......so thankyou and keep writing....you are talented.

POA, thanks much for all your efforts! Your posts always bring a smile and most often a chuckle! The holiday decor photos are beautiful but I'm curious if they had any menorahs on display?

I didn’t see any, but our last full day on the ship was Saturday and Hanukkah didn't start until Tuesday.

We have enjoyed your review very much. It is the first thing we read in the morning along with our coffee. Because of your unique writing talent we feel so prepared for our upcoming cruise on Jan 4 on the Niew Amsterdam b2b and look forward to trying out new ways to enjoy some of the very nice amenties on the cruise ship. We were not able to secure a cabanna...they are sold out, however we will try to rent for a day.. so we can enjoy the cabanna feeling. If not for your review i would not have even thought anymore about renting one. We will make a point of visiting all avenues of entertainment and we look forward to dining in thr PG and ordering the Chocolate ball for sure! We have booked all dinning venues as well. We wil go to the Mariners luncheon and have breakfast in the MDR. We are 3 star mariners but really now realize we have not done all the things available to us to do. Hey...I may even try a Wang..wang....I always stick to wine or Crown Royale and coke with lemon! This is our retirement cruise.....we are so excited......so thankyou and keep writing....you are talented.

I don't want you to be disappointed but if the cabanas are sold out you will not be able to rent one for the day. They do not hold any back for this purpose. When I first tried one out I was only interested in renting for one day. Hal showed no interest in letting me do that. I ended up renting it for a week so clearly there was one open.

I don't want you to be disappointed but if the cabanas are sold out you will not be able to rent one for the day. They do not hold any back for this purpose. When I first tried one out I was only interested in renting for one day. Hal showed no interest in letting me do that. I ended up renting it for a week so clearly there was one open.

According to the (admittedly outdated) cabana literature, daily rentals could only be done on the ship. That said, all the cabana were booked both of our weeks - as I think they were for yours as well - so, I would not get my hopes up too much. We sailed in early season, so I doubt it will get better later.

You might want to see if HAL can wait list you.

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful review/ report... You have successfully ruined my next month of work as I now only look at your pics and fantasize about my up coming cruise! 😉 one question I do have... We are considering the signature beverage package and are wondering if there are any red wines that are available in the dining rooms that fall under the allotted amount of $7. Looking at the bar menu, there are none. This could be a huge game changer for us. Also, if the price of the wine goes over the the limit, do you know if they charge you for the entire glass, or just the amount it goes over? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful review/ report... You have successfully ruined my next month of work as I now only look at your pics and fantasize about my up coming cruise! 😉 one question I do have... We are considering the signature beverage package and are wondering if there are any red wines that are available in the dining rooms that fall under the allotted amount of $7. Looking at the bar menu, there are none. This could be a huge game changer for us. Also, if the price of the wine goes over the the limit, do you know if they charge you for the entire glass, or just the amount it goes over? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are limited to only those wines that are $7 or less. If a wine is over the limit, you pay for the whole thing.

There are two reds (that I know of for certain) that are covered by the SBP: Santa Carolina Merlot, and Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon. We tried both and thought they were fine. We did prefer the Cab, though.

Here's the video of the Meting Chocolate Bowl. They had to "hit" it twice with the melted chocolate liquid, and it didn't quite melt as well as the one we have a few days prior. Of course, we're not going to quibble over the meltiness.... A good chocolate dessert is a good chocolate dessert.

POkEJK4mj1o

I still think it looks more like a ball in the beginning, but it's definitely a bowl at the end. Hopefully the melting chocolate mood music will make up for my somewhat shaky camera work. We shot this in HD, so you can watch it in full screen if you like.

Edited by POA1

POA, thanks much for all your efforts! Your posts always bring a smile and most often a chuckle! The holiday decor photos are beautiful but I'm curious if they had any menorahs on display?

There are at least two menorahs that are being properly lighted. One in the Neptune Lounge and one at the Front Desk. Since I am currently on board, I will try to get a better count.

The lighting is being televised each day on a ship's channel.

Edited by Crew News

According to the (admittedly outdated) cabana literature, daily rentals could only be done on the ship. That said, all the cabana were booked both of our weeks - as I think they were for yours as well - so, I would not get my hopes up too much. We sailed in early season, so I doubt it will get better later.

You might want to see if HAL can wait list you.

Yes, the theory is there that you can do daily rentals. They question is if HAL will be interested.

Here's the video of the Meting Chocolate Bowl. They had to "hit" it twice with the melted chocolate liquid, and it didn't quite melt as well as the one we have a few days prior. Of course, we're not going to quibble over the meltiness.... A good chocolate dessert is a good chocolate dessert.

POkEJK4mj1o

I still think it looks more like a ball in the beginning, but it's definitely a bowl at the end. Hopefully the melting chocolate mood music will make up for my somewhat shaky camera work. We shot this in HD, so you can watch it in full screen if you like.

I just LOVE the opening of your video. Too funny.

It's a mess at the end isn't it? how the heck do you eat the dam thing? with a spoon?

cheese would go good sans prunes of course.

I just LOVE the opening of your video. Too funny.

It's a mess at the end isn't it? how the heck do you eat the dam thing? with a spoon?

cheese would go good sans prunes of course.

With a spoon. You could also hunch down over your plate and lick it. I suppose it depends on how much you like chocolate, and the length of your tongue, of course.

WOW! What a video! Thank you very much for filming the chocolatey event. But, I agree with Kazu, what a mess!

I'm waiting in anticipation of Ruth's comments after she sees that video!

Ruth is in awe of that dessert and can't wait to try it. She does not mind messy.

Perhaps a few chunks of angel food cake, or pound cake, could be obtained to help soak up the liquid? Don't want to leave any on the plate, you know, and licking it clean would be tacky.

Ruth is in awe of that dessert and can't wait to try it. She does not mind messy.

Perhaps a few chunks of angel food cake, or pound cake, could be obtained to help soak up the liquid? Don't want to leave any on the plate, you know, and licking it clean would be tacky.

You can get most of the dessert up with a spoon. I suppose you could use some of the after dinner chocolate to pick up the remaining chocolate. Or, just pick a finger with no rings on it, and do a quick, circular wipe. Done deftly, it sort of looks like something one should do. Even if it's not, you don't think I'm naive enough to criticize my wife's handling of chocolate, do you? Poohby Joe is just waiting for me to screw up so he can take my side of the bed :D