CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

POA1

As promised, here are our thoughts on the two wines we had with dinner last night. They're both from the Admiral's Package.

Finca Decero Cabernet Sauvignon, Remolinos Vineyard 2012 (Just listed as Decero Cabernet Sauvignon on the HAL list) - We thought it was a very good Cabernet, and would have scored it in the high 80s. It went very well with the steaks in the Pinnacle.

Luckily for us all, Steve Tanzer of International Wine Cellar rated it, so you don't have to rely on two amateurs.

Steve's review: Critical Acclaim:

Full red-ruby. Currant, licorice and strong chocolatey oak on the nose. Broad, supple and sweet, boasting serious size and volume to the flavors of currant, kirsch, mint and menthol. Very cabernet sauvignon in its medicinal reserve. Finishes with fine-grained, oak-driven tannins that are not quite as sweet as those of the malbec, and very good length. - 89 Points, International Wine Cellar

The second wine was Equilibrium, a white blend from Franciscan winery in Napa. It's predominantly Sauvignon Blanc, at about 70%, with around 20% Chardonnay, and the rest Muscat. It's a versatile wine for food pairing, and would probably make several appearances if we were buying wine off the ship.

I couldn't find any reviews from my normal go-to sources for the wine, but we'd give it a score somewhere in the mid to upper 80s. Here are the winemaker's notes for the 2013, which is what we had last night:

Equilibrium ia a white blend that is rich, fun, and a unique wine that’s easy to enjoy. The name Equilibrium means "to come together in a state of harmonious balance." With this in mind, the winemakers crafted a unique expression of artisanal blending. Crisp mouthfeel showing bright floral notes along with refreshing pear and white peach flavors, Equilibrium is an ensemble of Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Muscat. The perception of sweetness enables it to pair beautifully with a range of foods, from spicy barbeque to Thai and other Asian cuisines.

I'll spend some time researching the rest of the list later in the week.

Thank you for the report on the wines. The Equilibrium is being remembered by moi and I hope it will be on the list when we get on. It really sounds like a wine we would enjoy.

I notice you said perception of sweetness. So, it is actually still a relatively dry wine, right? I'll find out when we get on board.

Many, many thanks for all of your fabulous reports and the help with the wines on board :D

Thank you for the report on the wines. The Equilibrium is being remembered by moi and I hope it will be on the list when we get on. It really sounds like a wine we would enjoy.

I notice you said perception of sweetness. So, it is actually still a relatively dry wine, right? I'll find out when we get on board.

Many, many thanks for all of your fabulous reports and the help with the wines on board :D

You're welcome.

Equilibrium isn't sweet by my palate. There's a bit of Muscat in the blend and it simply takes the some of the acidic bite out of the Sauvignon Blanc. The Chardonnay adds a little roundness to the blend. If you are unsure about any of the new Admiral package wines, you can try them at the second tasting.

Edited by POA1

I really enjoyed "getting to know the ship" by reading your posts. We will be on her in Feb. for 2 weeks and the 5 of us are all new to HAL and looking forward to trying a new cruise line. It sounds like a wonderful ship. Thanks so much for posting your wonderful reviews. Loved, loved loved them!

You're welcome.

Equilibrium isn't sweet by my palate. There's a bit of Muscat in the blend and it simply takes the some of the acidic bite out of the Sauvignon Blanc. The Chardonnay adds a little roundness to the blend. If you are unsure about any of the new Admiral package wines, you can try them at the second tasting.

2nd tasting would be too late :) Last time they did have little tastes when you ordered so I would be hopeful of that again.

In any case, I'll check the listing on board. Looks like they have improved things a bit if that wine list stays in place. Thanks :D

Thanks for the photos of the Chocolate Ball/Bowl.

On a needs-to-know basis: what is inside? Your very first photo of this dessert, way back when, made it appear that there is cake or something inside.

Yum!

It's a white chocolate ganache. It wasn't apparent the first time DW had the dessert. That time, the liquid chocolate was hotter the first time around, which melted the sphere better. It's a very cool melting effect. I shot a video, which I'll upload to YouTube later.

I just want to express my gratitude to everyone who said thanks. We have a lot of fun doing the reports. It's always interesting to keep our eyes peeled for something interesting to write about.

A couple people asked if the Centurion Group and the Holland America management employees had much of an impact on the rest of us. To be honest, other than a few special events that closed a bar for a few hours, and probably some menu changes, it wasn't noticeably different. The menus changes were most likely for the better, based on what we know from Cruz Chic's second week. Sapper1, Crew News, and Joanie are all still on the ship, and I'm sure they'll update everyone on any changes.

One nice thing we noticed was that they'd supplement the MDR wine stewards if demand was high. Our poor wine steward, Dominic was "in the weeds" on several nights - not because of anything he did, but because there were quite a few wine drinkers in our section of the dining room. Whenever our wine steward got busy, a squad of emergency back-up wine stewards would appear to help with the load.

I will be thinking of you when I have the chocolate ball in January. I have studied the menus you posted, especially the dessert menus. There are a couple of days where the menu has two of my favourites. Do you think it's tacky to order both?:)

I will be thinking of you when I have the chocolate ball in January. I have studied the menus you posted, especially the dessert menus. There are a couple of days where the menu has two of my favourites. Do you think it's tacky to order both?:)

No. Get whatever you want. The only rule is that you should stop if your clothes get snug. ;)

It's a white chocolate ganache. It wasn't apparent the first time DW had the dessert. That time, the liquid chocolate was hotter the first time around, which melted the sphere better. It's a very cool melting effect. I shot a video, which I'll upload to YouTube later.

Great! I look forward to the video. Thanks!

How many pounds do you estimate I'll gain for each time I watch the video?

"Thank You!" doesn't seem like quite enough to adequately express my appreciation for the 'Bestest Live From Ever.' If I had even a smidgeon of elegance in my vocabulary, you would be blushing at my lavish praise! As it is, "thank you" is what I got, so "thank you" is what you get.

Anyone concerned about submitting their own live reports might now be intimidated, but perhaps they could send you a brief summary of their activity, such as, "We had dinner," you could embellish it a bit for them? I wouldn't want you to turn it into a five course meal or anything... but three courses would be great!

Think about it. Let us know...

I would also like to encourage posters to do live from. The most important thing to me is that if you are going to do a live from please come back to the thread regularly. Please don't post 10 days in a row and not come back for a week. That's not a live from and it makes it difficult for people that still work to read it. Bite size pieces are great:).

I would also like to encourage posters to do live from. The most important thing to me is that if you are going to do a live from please come back to the thread regularly. Please don't post 10 days in a row and not come back for a week. That's not a live from and it makes it difficult for people that still work to read it. Bite size pieces are great:).

I am seriously considering a "live from" for the Grand South America" on the Prinsendam beginning jan. 3. I'm nervous for two reasons:

1) never did one before

2) promised one from the Noordam last August and DH ended up in the hospital in Rome and had surgery.

Maybe I should leave well enough alone. Besides POA1 is a hard act to follow.

Terri

I used to do "live" reports. But after giving quite a few "positive" reports and 1 negative and got flamed by several regular posters here over that 1 negative, I decided to quit doing them.

I am seriously considering a "live from" for the Grand South America" on the Prinsendam beginning jan. 3. I'm nervous for two reasons:

1) never did one before

2) promised one from the Noordam last August and DH ended up in the hospital in Rome and had surgery.

Terri

Oh Please do a "Live" review.

1) never did one before

Terri

I've done a couple, more like random thoughts. I can tell you that I feel they were well received for the most part and I'm a poor writer. Anything you would write would likely be much better than I could do. I totally understand if you don't feel you want to. Would love to read about your adventure if you choose to do it.

Edited by cruz chic

I used to do "live" reports. But after giving quite a few "positive" reports and 1 negative and got flamed by several regular posters here over that 1 negative, I decided to quit doing them.

I can't blame you. Some people are just not nice. Would hate to be around them 24/7.

It was cloudy as we arrived, but by around 11:00 AM (Boxing Day in Canada) the sun was shining brightly.

POA1, I've really enjoyed this thread and your blog, which has taken me the better part of 2 days to read, with the more than occasional giggle. However, I need a translation of the above. I even went back to see if maybe I had the dates wrong!

PS. We had a beautiful, gorgeous day on HMC on the 11th (which would be Christmas Day by my reckoning:)), and wandered around, and even watched the stingrays being fed. I can see why it is such a favoured spot on CC.

1) never did one before

Terri

I've done a couple, more like random thoughts. I can tell you that I feel they were well received for the most part and I'm a poor writer. Anything you would write would likely be much better than I could do. I totally understand if you don't feel you want to. Would love to read about your adventure if you choose to do it.

I really want to read about your excursions in the various South American ports.

POA1, I've really enjoyed this thread and your blog, which has taken me the better part of 2 days to read, with the more than occasional giggle. However, I need a translation of the above. I even went back to see if maybe I had the dates wrong!

PS. We had a beautiful, gorgeous day on HMC on the 11th (which would be Christmas Day by my reckoning:)), and wandered around, and even watched the stingrays being fed. I can see why it is such a favoured spot on CC.

That was another failed attempt at Canada-focused humor /humour. I try to have at least one per cruise. I was trying to say that eleven o'clock was the equivalent of Boxing Day to show how we Americans get confused by the metric system.

My bad. Sorry. The Canadian equivalent to 11:00 AM should have read "Gordon Lightfoot." The Institute sincerely regrets the error.

No. Get whatever you want. The only rule is that you should stop if your clothes get snug. ;)

I always take a couple of extra skirts and slacks that have elastic waist bands for the second part of the cruise. It's that darn bread pudding every afternoon.:D

My bad. Sorry. The Canadian equivalent to 11:00 AM should have read "Gordon Lightfoot." The Institute sincerely regrets the error.

OMG, part of my cup of Earl Gray just ended up all over my screen! :eek::D:D

I always take a couple of extra skirts and slacks that have elastic waist bands for the second part of the cruise. It's that darn bread pudding every afternoon.:D

I managed to avoid the bread pudding for not one, but two cruises - a grand total of three weeks.

However, there's still something wrong with our scale. We weren't keeping up with the news. Did the force of the Earth's gravity get stronger while we were away?