New Dinner Menu Format on Noordam

Krazy Kruizers

I haven't cruised HAL in a while. When did they start charging for cappuccino in the MDR? (If you have any idea, that is. Lol). Thanks

Going by memory, I think it was a couple of years ago.

I haven't cruised HAL in a while. When did they start charging for cappuccino in the MDR? (If you have any idea, that is. Lol). Thanks

Going by memory, I think it was a couple of years ago.

Looking at my notes -- when we were on the Westerdam in March/April 2013 -- they were starting to charge for the specialty coffees in the main dining room at all meals.

I think I'm overly sensitive about it. I have one "friend" in our traveling group who always has to make a remark about me ordering from the "always available" menu and "why don't I try something new". I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but..............

Gotta love people like that.

• 2 months later...

I read this thread with great interest about the new menu layout, but now I am confused.... :confused:

How do I order this? In the past, it seemed easy to pick one item from each section, but now that they are grouped - I feel like it looks funny or seems awkward.

Please share your experience, if you would. How did you order? ;)

Thank you all. Have a great day.

I read this thread with great interest about the new menu layout, but now I am confused.... :confused:

How do I order this? In the past, it seemed easy to pick one item from each section, but now that they are grouped - I feel like it looks funny or seems awkward.

I would order whatever you feel like ordering. If you wanted 2 soups I don't think anyone would blink an eye.

The new menu format is divided into two groups: Starters, Soups, and Salads in the first group and the second group is Mains as shown in this menu from the Caribbean that I scanned (Scroll down past the Lido Restaurant offerings:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EC-2015-Day-03-A.pdf

You may order as many things as you wish from anywhere on the menu which means two different soups, one salad, and two entrees. You can also order one of everything if you wish.

Just order what you want. If soups and salads are in the same group, and you want one of each, then order one of each. If you want two of something, order them.

Keep Calm and Order On! ;)

Thank you all for the feedback. I realize it might have seemed like a silly question, but when we first started cruising - it took some getting used to on how to order in the MDR, since you decide on every course at once, etc.... :eek:

We finally passed that awkwardness and felt we were becoming quite the pros in this and now a new system????? :o Again, I realize it is no big deal and your answers are encouraging me to just be bold and ask for what we want and all shall be ok!

Thank you to everyone for the input.

We were on the Noordam last month and assumed this "new" format was to discourage multiple courses (i.e. save money) for those unfamiliar with the MDR. We ordered as we always have (appetizer, soup/salad, main course) and noticed that the place setting does not accommodate this. Additional forks (and soup spoons/steak knives, as in the past) were brought to the table after we placed our order for the "standard" three courses.

The menus were the same on the Oosterdam on our cruise which finished last Friday. Must say I didn't think much of the French Onion Soup but the other choices were great.

Ozcruizer

The HAL French Onion Soup is not my favorite either but HAL does excel at chilled soups. Four orders of the crab legs appetizer and a chilled soup are great starters for an evening in the MDR.

On our Rotterdam cruise I noticed something I had not seen before. There was a notation on the menu that one could ask for a "smaller portion" of any entrée item. We appreciated that as sometimes it's just too much.

Are smaller portions now also available in the Pinnacle?

I had asked for a smaller rib eye when we went a few years ago and was told they couldn't go smaller. DH ended up helping me out on that. :) He won't be able to join me on my upcoming trip but would consider dinner in the PG if I could get a smaller portion (including a smaller portion of the Baked Alaska. (Even if it was a small dish of Ben and Jerry's with the cherries jubilee on top).

I had asked for a smaller rib eye when we went a few years ago and was told they couldn't go smaller. DH ended up helping me out on that. :) He won't be able to join me on my upcoming trip but would consider dinner in the PG if I could get a smaller portion (including a smaller portion of the Baked Alaska. (Even if it was a small dish of Ben and Jerry's with the cherries jubilee on top).

I don't know the answer, sorry. We had the De L'jibre (I don't think I spelled that correctly and auto correct hasn't got a clue) and other than that we ate in the MDR. The Rotterdam MDR was THAT good.

... (I) but would consider dinner in the PG if I could get a smaller portion (including a smaller portion of the Baked Alaska. (Even if it was a small dish of Ben and Jerry's with the cherries jubilee on top).

I doubt you could get a smaller rib eye steak, as the only way to make it smaller is to cut it thinner. Then it won't cook properly.

I have been successful getting the dish of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream without the meringue or cake base. I didn't ask for the cherries jubilee, but that should be an easy add-on.

A positive change, at least for me, on the 2nd segment of my January b2b on the Noordam was the last night's MDR dinner: the International Dinner. I am not fond of the menu for that evening. On the 1st segment, the same old menu was offered. Enjoying my dining companions, I did not want to leave them for PG on that last night. So, I ordered some different items from what I have tried in the past. And, was underwhelmed as usual.

For the International Dinner on the last night of the 2nd segment, the old menu itself had been scrapped; the same items from the old menu were still on the menu presented, but the traditional "Always Available" items could be ordered as well.

I truly enjoyed having French Onion Soup and a well prepared steak as my last dinner for this cruise. I hope this "change" is maintained.

Edited by rkacruiser

KK, Thanks for posting. I enjoyed this preview of Mom's and my dinners on the Noordam this summer.

Nana51 and NutenSteve, You are in good company. Mom will choose the simplest, most familiar fare on the menu. She knows what works for her. There is no shame in that.

Vicki

Thanks for sharing.

I don't know how many people are going to take time to read about the chefs.

An interesting comment, I think.

I do read the information provided, which reminds me of what I have read about their background on the HAL web site and publications. Often--not always--but often, I will order the items on the menu that the "Chef du Jour" has "created". More often than not, I am not disappointed in my selections.