What is the latest you have learned of your GTY cabin?

dateacher

On one cruise I did not learn my cabin number until one or two days out. On my last cruise I had a guarantee and was assigned three different cabins over the final couple of weeks. The final cabin number appeared about two days out.

Be patient. This, too, is part of the anticipation of cruising.

Trying to figure out if I should just stop checking my account and assume I will know when I get on the ship. We leave on Dec. 22.

About a year ago here on this board we had one CC member who had not received her cabin assignment until she signed in at the terminal itself. And she was quite "Over The Moon", literally, when she was checking in to be told she was in the Penthouse!!

Keep in mind that this is/was a rarity, but you asked, so I responded:)

Joanie

Edited by Host Walt
Type face adjusted to comply with Cruise Critic guideines

If you're not sailing until Dec. 22, you are too far out to expect an assignment. Could it happen today? Sure But more likely to get the assignment in a couple of weeks.

My latest came in with somewhat less than 10 days, but I don't recall precisely.

They will assign your cabin when there is nothing they can do about it if you don't like your room, except put you on a waiting list in case someone does not show up at boarding. You won't know where you are on that list. First or twenty first. But they will tell you they understand.

The biggest thing you need to ask yourself is "Will I be happy if they assign me any cabin in the category I paid for?"

If the answer is no, then you need to pick a cabin in your category, and put down that you are willing to upgrade, or you need to pay for a category that you will be satisfied with no matter where they put you.

22 cruises under our belt, and we finally got the cabin assigned to us in the category we paid for. It was the worst cabin we ever had. The only good thing I can say about it is that we had rough seas a number of days and nights, and our cabin was in the center of the ship.

I agree, keep checking. Also, if the price of the cruise has gone down any since you booked your cabin, your Travel Agent may be able to call HAL and ask if they can give you a complementary category upgrade.

No sour grapes for us. We still had a nice cruise, and we still love HAL, and we purchased more Future Cruise Credits while we were on board. And, we learned something valuable first hand. We plan on cruising until we can't anymore, so we will be on the seas for around 35 - 40 more years.

Have a great Holiday Cruise!

AC:)

On 2008 World Cruise did not receive room # until after check in and just before boarding. Ship had been overbooked as people were saying they ad been asked to cancel and go next year and had been offered great offers, so I was afraid I would not be allowed to sail but was surprised with wonderful upgrade.