Moving from Ship to Ship

BosoxI

We'll be disembarking the Caribbean and embarking on the Island next week. It's been three years or more since we've been on a Princess ship, so I am not at all up to date on procedures or the possible layout of the port. Assuming the two ships are some distance apart, does Princess provide a service for passengers such as I? Celebrity had a bus take us to the next ship when the same situation arose last year.

We'll be disembarking the Caribbean and embarking on the Island next week. It's been three years or more since we've been on a Princess ship, so I am not at all up to date on procedures or the possible layout of the port. Assuming the two ships are some distance apart, does Princess provide a service for passengers such as I? Celebrity had a bus take us to the next ship when the same situation arose last year.
The Caribbean and Island are the only two Princess ships in port on the 18th. If you check the Port Everglades web site tomorrow you will be able to see their assigned piers. One ship will most likely be at Pier two. The other ??. If it is Pier 4 you can just walk over. If it is the mid-port area then you will have to take some sort of transportation. There may be a Princess shuttle (ask at the passenger service desk), or there may be a shuttle that will take passengers from the mid-port area to the north port garage and visa versa. When we did it we had to ask around, no one really seemed to know for sure. We finally hopped on the garage shuttle. If all else fails an in-port taxi is about $10.

Taxi should be a short $10 fare.

The Caribbean and Island are the only two Princess ships in port on the 18th. If you check the Port Everglades web site tomorrow you will be able to see their assigned piers. One ship will most likely be at Pier two. The other ??. If it is Pier 4 you can just walk over. If it is the mid-port area then you will have to take some sort of transportation. There may be a Princess shuttle (ask at the passenger service desk), or there may be a shuttle that will take passengers from the mid-port area to the north port garage and visa versa. When we did it we had to ask around, no one really seemed to know for sure. We finally hopped on the garage shuttle. If all else fails an in-port taxi is about $10.

I have heard that the taxi drivers get verbally abusive when they get such a short trip. Is this true? Has anyone had this happen to them?

I need to switch from Carnival to the Royal Princess in April and would like to avoid a problem.

Sue

I have heard that the taxi drivers get verbally abusive when they get such a short trip. Is this true? Has anyone had this happen to them?

There was a cab driver at the pier in Seattle last year that picked up somebody and started off. About half way down the cab line, the cabby stopped and told the passenger to get out and refused to take them any further. Why? They were only going a short distance to a store and the cabby wanted a longer trip. What happened then? The man who was running the cab line, kicked the cabby off the pier and told him he was banned until further notice. He then got the passenger in the next available cab (which was right there.)

Don't know how things work at Lauderdale, but that's how it works at Seattle! :)

Tom

In San Francisco we got into a cab to go about 1.5 miles to our hotel.

The driver, who had been waiting in the line for a while and had been hoping for a fare wanting to go to the airport, was quite upset (but did not get abusive). He said it would not be worth his time to get bnack into the line again after dropping us off at the hotel.

In Brooklyn, we needed to go less than two miles to a subway station. Our driver told the dispatcher that when he returned he expected to go to the front of the taxi line, not the end of it.

I need to switch from Carnival to the Royal Princess in April and would like to avoid a problem.

Sue

Well, when we went from mid port to north port at Port Everglades the driver was very nice. Even if the driver isn't nice, you can put up with it for 5 mins which is all the drive is.

I asked that question a when on a Princess ship & was told at that time they would provide a free shuttle to the other pier BUT that was a few years ago and things may have changed. It wouldn't surprise me if they were charging lately for a short hop to another pier.

There were 2 Princess ships in port the day we returned last March to a different pier than we departed from. The shuttle was looping to both piers to return arriving passengers to their cars and transferring those needing transportation to their new ship. It was free (and fast).

Edited by capriccio

There were 2 Princess ships in port the day we returned last March to a different pier than we departed from. The shuttle was looping to both piers to return arriving passengers to their cars and transferring those needing transportation to their new ship. It was free (and fast).

It was a similar situation after our Ruby cruise last February. We left from North-port pier 2 and returned to Mid-port pier 21 as the Royal was docked at pier 2 that day so Princess provided a free shuttle to get passengers from pier 21 back to pier 2.

FYI, according to PE's web site, Caribbean is scheduled to leave from pier 21 on the 13th and return to pier 2 on the 18th as Island will be at pier 21 that day so Princess will most likely be providing shuttle service. The shuttle information was with our disembarkation information, so if it's not with yours just inquire at the service desk.;)

Just took a taxi a couple of weeks ago from Eurodam to Regal Princess. The taxi told me a minimum of $10. When we arrived at Regal the meter was showing $8.65. From where we were docked(opposite site of Allure) to the Regal Princess, looks like it was the longest route from ship to ship in Port Everglades.

Edited by Topo Gigio

We just did a few cruises out of Port Everglades last month. You can hop the Car park shuttle to get from one pier to the other. We first did did a transfer Oasis #20 I believe to Caribbean #2

We did a back to back to back as well and used the Car Park shuttle to get close to the gate so we could walk out to the shopping areas while the ship was in port.

We even walked in to pier 2 after shopping and had a car park shuttle driver run us over to pier 21, we were the only passengers on the bus and we tipped him $5.00 as he was going off shift.

Be polite and ask one of the traffic control captains they are very helpful.

Edited by baldercash