Cuba Reforms Developing - Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

falkcor

Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

• Yes - I would book an itinerary just to sail to Cuba
    • Maybe - I wouldn't mind, but wouldn't book just to sail to Cuba
    • No - I have no interest in sailing to Cuba and wouldn't book an itinerary that did

I'm not sure why people are so eager to have a cruise stop in Cuba, it's just another island like most of the rest.

I grew up in a Caribbean island. To say that one island is "just like the rest" is far from accurate and just shows how little some people know about this vast region. Politically, some people may not want to visit Cuba, but that doesn't mean that this isn't one fascinating island, with more history and uniqueness than most places in the rest of the Caribbean, or even the rest of the Americas.

The cruise industry has attempted to create this "uniform Caribbean experience" from one island to another, with the same exact chain stores, restaurants, bars, and even music. From Grand Turk to Costa Maya, from Mahogany Bay to now Amber Cove, it's becoming harder to tell these destinations apart. No wonder many cruisers are so clueless. It's almost insulting to the local culture of many of these countries. Reggae and Calypso music is as foreign in San Juan as it is in North Dakota, yet a large percentage of cruisers don't know the difference.

Yes, it's true that a few hours in port is not enough time to truly know what these islands are about, but by educating oneself about the history, culture, and traditions of these different islands BEFORE visiting them can make that limited amount of time much more worthwhile, and also reduce comments like the one that prompted me to write this reply. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I grew up in a Caribbean island. To say that one island is "just like the rest" is far from accurate and just shows how little some people know about this vast region. Politically, some people may not want to visit Cuba, but that doesn't mean that this isn't one fascinating island, with more history and uniqueness than most places in the rest of the Caribbean, or even the rest of the Americas.

The cruise industry has attempted to create this "uniform Caribbean experience" from one island to another, with the same exact chain stores, restaurants, bars, and even music. From Grand Turk to Costa Maya, from Mahogany Bay to now Amber Cove, it's becoming harder to tell these destinations apart. No wonder the average cruise is so clueless. It's almost insulting to the local culture of many of these countries. Reggae and Calypso music is as foreign in San Juan as it is in North Dakota, yet a large percentage of cruisers don't know the difference.

Yes, it's true that a few hours in port is not enough time to truly know what these islands are about, but by educating oneself about the history, culture, and traditions of these different islands BEFORE visiting them can make that limited amount of time much more worthwhile, and also reduce comments like the one that prompted me to write this reply. :o

On that point, I totally agree. I force my kids to listen to a brief summary of the government and history of each place we cruise, and we try to do something that gives us a brief glimpse of life beyond the cruise port. Land vacations are best for really experiencing other countries, but cruising is a relaxing way to get a glimpse of new places, especially with kids.

Some tough security onboard coming back looking for defecting baseball players. For those that wouldn't go because of their oppressive ways, Middle East, Russia, China, Korea, Cuba....long list of wouldn't goes, for you then.

Yep, those are pretty much all on my list of places I won't go. Specifically North Korea, obviously, and the "Middle East" can't just be lumped all together. I am dying to see Egypt someday, but I'll have to see what happens over the next few years. I've wanted to visit Russia since the end of the USSR when I was in high school, but I don't know now. Good thing I'm pretty limited in my ability to travel overseas until my kids finish growing up and I retire. :)

A proper cuban cigar in my fingers, cuban rum in my drink, authentic cuban music and food in my ears and mouth, Havana's skyline and harbor in my view.

Nope, doesn't sound like just any other island to me.

Will have to go early before cruise dock cities spring up.

Yep, those are pretty much all on my list of places I won't go. Specifically North Korea, obviously, and the "Middle East" can't just be lumped all together. I am dying to see Egypt someday, but I'll have to see what happens over the next few years. I've wanted to visit Russia since the end of the USSR when I was in high school, but I don't know now. Good thing I'm pretty limited in my ability to travel overseas until my kids finish growing up and I retire. :)

You definitely don't want to go to N Korea, and S Korea is pretty iffy too. Remember that technically they are still "at war" with the North. They are a pretty suspicious bunch and the heavy handed security can be a bit unnerving.

Living in South Florida I find this very exciting, however I don't want to go if that Communist regime isn't going to help the people with American tourist dollars. And remember, they already have a strong tourism from other countries and I don't see it helping the people at all. I have a feeling Obama is going to get punked just like Putin did to him. And there are already rumors that he is going to give Gitmo back to Cuba, so we will see. I know Gitmo figures in this deal somewhere, but it hasn't been revealed yet.

Good points throughout. As (hopefully) a traveler and not a tourist, I'd love to go to Cuba -- and I have occasionally looked into schemes to enter from other countries. From what I've researched, I have a great deal of respect for its people and their make-do attitude.

It would be heartbreaking, however, to see a Carnival gated mall installed there. I'd take a cruise there in a heartbeat, but would probably just fly there if travel opened up.

At any rate, this policy change is long overdue. About 40 years or so.

The world quickly found its way to making amends with a European country that in the late thirties and early forties committed one of the most destructive genocidal wars in all of human existence -- yet the U.S. can't seem to get over having our butts handed to us by a group of Cuban revolutionaries 60 years ago. During the same time, we've embraced the "butchers of Bejing," as well as numerous Central and South American dictatorial thugs, Middle Eastern tyrants whose countries behead women for the crime of being rape victims, and so on. We even looked lovingly "into the eyes Putin and saw his soul." But Cuba was just too darned evil.

Edited by larkz

I would go to Havana tomorrow if I could with my passport.

Yes I hope carnival sails there but I would like to spend more time than a cruise would afford.

Just do a little googling.

There are a few companies that specialize in LEGAL AIR travel for US citizens to CUBA.

They will do all the needed paperwork and the flights leave from US airports. The visits seem to average about a one full week or longer in length.

You have to take part in U.S. APPROVED AND REQUIRED specific educational and social programs for part of each day then you are on your own. At present you can only spend a limited amount of money there and cannot bring anything home other than a small list of things like music and printed matter.

Hope this helped.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I have posted here on CC (and other places) many times, that I think our 1961 policies toward Cuba were absurd. In fact, I have ranted about it a couple of times during my "Live Froms...". Finally, after 53+ years I a policy that has not worked... nor solved anything... and only hurt our image all over the world... finally, that policy is changing.

I'm a Vietnam and Gulf1 veteran. Today I can travel to Vietnam without any special stuff. 50,000 + Americans died at the hands of the North Vietnamese. If we can put that behind us (and we did)... and if I can freely go to Vietnam as a tourist (and I can), then we certainly should be able to travel to Cuba.

If Carnival or any other cruise line has a ship that is going to Cuba then I'll be on the first ship to go there... Hola Havana, Mucho Gusto.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo... maybe it's in Cuba

Exactly how hard is it to leave Mexico?

Ask the thousands of people that cross the Mexico-US border illegally every year, many who loose their lives in the process.

Edited by Tapi

I have posted here on CC (and other places) many times, that I think our 1961 policies toward Cuba were absurd. In fact, I have ranted about it a couple of times during my "Live Froms...". Finally, after 53+ years I a policy that has not worked... nor solved anything... and only hurt our image all over the world... finally, that policy is changing.

I'm a Vietnam and Gulf1 veteran. Today I can travel to Vietnam without any special stuff. 50,000 + Americans died at the hands of the North Vietnamese. If we can put that behind us (and we did)... and if I can freely go to Vietnam as a tourist (and I can), then we certainly should be able to travel to Cuba.

If Carnival or any other cruise line has a ship that is going to Cuba then I'll be on the first ship to go there... Hola Havana, Mucho Gusto.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo... maybe it's in Cuba

My problem is I see some are buying into the illusion and even lies that more commerce and access to money and goods will translate to politiCal freedom for the Cuban people.

All while cruising to this island is not even on any immediate horizon.

My answer is a big NO!!! I live in Miami and am of Cuban descent. I can already legally travel to Cuba, but I don't. I am friends with people who recently rafted from Cuba to the Keys. Sit down for 1 hour with any of them and then try to tell me we need to further this relationship that can only lead to the U.S. sending billions of dollars in aid to the Castro regime. When the Castros are dead, maybe. But for now, I do not support this and I'm grateful my state representative in the Senate is stepping up to the plate for us.

My answer is a big NO!!! I live in Miami and am of Cuban descent. I can already legally travel to Cuba, but I don't. I am friends with people who recently rafted from Cuba to the Keys. Sit down for 1 hour with any of them and then try to tell me we need to further this relationship that can only lead to the U.S. sending billions of dollars in aid to the Castro regime. When the Castros are dead, maybe. But for now, I do not support this and I'm grateful my state representative in the Senate is stepping up to the plate for us.

^^^ This

Some tough security onboard coming back looking for defecting baseball players. For those that wouldn't go because of their oppressive ways, Middle East, Russia, China, Korea, Cuba....long list of wouldn't goes, for you then.

That's true. I wouldn't visit any one of those places. Why not add Cuba for cruising from the US so that those who don't care at all about the people can travel there?

That's true. I wouldn't visit any one of those places. Why not add Cuba for cruising from the US so that those who don't care at all about the people can travel there?

I would just love to see new places, learn about cultures, try new foods, see historic buildings, etc. My desire to Cuba does not mean I do not care about its citizens. That's a wild leap.

I would just love to see new places, learn about cultures, try new foods, see historic buildings, etc. My desire to Cuba does not mean I do not care about its citizens. That's a wild leap.

You and I obviously have different views and that's fine. I, too, like to see new places etc., but traveling to places where the people are oppressed to me means not caring about the people. I guess I will just leave it there.

You and I obviously have different views and that's fine. I, too, like to see new places etc., but traveling to places where the people are oppressed to me means not caring about the people. I guess I will just leave it there.

If that is your driving factor, and that's fine, you may want to reexamine cruising altogether.