Cruises to Cuba

godawgs2012

Most (if not all) cruise ships are registered in countries other than the US, so there aren't any "US cruise ships".

No, they are not flagged in the US, but they are ships that embark and disembark passengers in the US, which is probably the key factor there.

Most (if not all) cruise ships are registered in countries other than the US, so there aren't any "US cruise ships".

Let me be very specific. Cruise ships owned and operated by US companies, including but not limited to Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL.

They may not be flagged in the US, but they clearly have US based owners. As such they are bound by US law related to Cuba.

Edited by RDC1

Let me be very specific. Cruise ships owned and operated by US companies, including but not limited to Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL.

They may not be flagged in the US, but they clearly have US based owners. As such they are bound by US law related to Cuba.

Carnival Corp (US) has its headquarters in Miami but is incorporated in Panama. Royal Caribbean is incorporated in Liberia.

Don't hold your breath on a cruise to Cuba. With its bad government still violating human rights, cozy relationship with Russia, and extreme poverty it will be several years before cruise ships start heading there

In the meantime I wish princess would offer cruises to Martinique or St Barts. Both offer incredible beaches, great nightlife, and plenty of day excursions. Come on Princess lets move on these fun ports I mean how many times can we visit St Thomas or Grand Turk????

Be well all!

You might not realize that cruise ships owned by Carnival Cruise Lines (parent company of Princess) already visit countries that you might consider to have bad government, human rights violations and extreme poverty. Besides Russia, where St. Petersberg is a favorite port, cruise ships now stop in Vietnam, China, Myanmar and probably the most repressive, Singapore, where you can be flogged for public littering, to name a few.

As for me, I'm ready to make a deposit!

You might not realize that cruise ships owned by Carnival Cruise Lines (parent company of Princess) already visit countries that you might consider to have bad government, human rights violations and extreme poverty. Besides Russia, where St. Petersberg is a favorite port, cruise ships now stop in Vietnam, China, Myanmar and probably the most repressive, Singapore, where you can be flogged for public littering, to name a few...

Exactly!!!

Besides Russia, where St. Petersberg is a favorite port, cruise ships now stop in Vietnam, China, Myanmar and probably the most repressive, Singapore, where you can be flogged for public littering, to name a few.

You say this like it's a bad thing? :confused:

My DB lived in Singapore for many years, with his teen aged daughter. He never locked his doors and said that he did not have to worry about her when she walked home at night. When I commented on this to another brother who had just returned from a lengthy visit with him, he said yes, the pretty teenager would probably be safe to walk home naked at 4:00 AM carrying a bag of gold.

Aside from the high prices, DB enjoyed living there immensely, and so did his DD.

These unusual laws all sound pretty reasonable to me:

Failure to flush a public toilet after use may result in very hefty fines.

It is considered an offense to enter the country with cigarettes.

Cigarettes are illegal at all public places.

It is illegal to come within 50 meters of a pedestrian crossing marker on any street.

If you are convicted of littering three times, you will have to clean the streets on Sundays with a bib on saying, “I am a litterer.

It is illegal to pee in an elevator.

The sale of gum is prohibited.

It is weird to see laws like this, but they keep Singapore cleaner and safer than any other major city.

This reply is maybe slightly off-topic because it doesn't involve a cruise but, for those interested in visiting Cuba, there is a tour company (whose name I guess I'm not allowed to mention here) that offers guided tours to Cuba. These are land-based tours with flights from Miami. This travel company was granted a license by the U.S. government to participate in the "People-to-People" travel initiative that allows U.S. citizens and legal U.S. residents to travel to Cuba on a limited basis to participate in cultural experiences and have direct contact with the Cuban people in order to learn more about them and their culture.

Interestingly, one of the government requirements for this program is that such travelers to Cuba must keep a travel journal during their visit, to serve as documentation that the visit was for educational purposes. And the journal should be kept for 5 years in case a U.S. official ever asks for proof of the educational nature of the Cuba journey.

I had always been considering this tour, although somewhat pricey. I'd definitely be interested if there was ever a cruise to Cuba.

You say this like it's a bad thing? :confused:

No, not at all. Just pointing out to some people here on Cruise Critic that ships already call on ports that they might consider questionable in terms of democracy, economy and social conditions. But isn't that the point of traveling?

Not while anyone named Castro is running the place.

I agree. I wouldn't spend a penney to fund the Castro regime. Talk to Cuban Americans with family living there. :(

There are lots of other places that will keep my interest.

Edited by eandj

Just watching our Canadian news channel and they are saying that we should get to Cuba and enjoy it now! We have had that lovely island to ourselves for a long time and sure hope that if US citizens get to travel to Cuba the increased numbers of tourists doesn't change it too much. The best thing that could happen to the locals is if the embargo is lifted and trade could begin.

Yes it is a beautiful island, beautiful beaches but we all know that is why you go to cuba. Not for the food sometimes not for the drinks either. It is a cheap vacation. Hoping with the change with american trade the food will be much different and better. Love the island but change will only better it.

I work in Higher Education and for many years, educators have been able to go to Cuba. I have several friends who have spent either a semester or a year there and they loved it. They found the people very friendly.

I also have several Canadian friends who love the resorts down there and go yearly.

Yes it is a beautiful island, beautiful beaches but we all know that is why you go to cuba. Not for the food sometimes not for the drinks either. It is a cheap vacation. Hoping with the change with american trade the food will be much different and better. Love the island but change will only better it.

The food is fine with us:). It's part of travelling and doesn't have to be the same as home. Not all change is better. I like it because it is not as "civilized ie touristy) as the other islands. If there is an easing of the US embargo I do hope there is a change for the better for the locals though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

With the news that the US will open a Embassy in Havana and will move to lift the embargo, would anyone be interested in a Princess cruise to Cuba if this all pans out? I think that it would most likely revitalize Caribbean cruising, having access to a port that has been closed off for decades. Thoughts?

I think this is some of the greatest WORLD news in such a long time. Putting all the political garbage aside, I think the opportunity to see that authentic culture, beaches and historical buildings would be a history lesson for all ages.

I think this is some of the greatest WORLD news in such a long time. Putting all the political garbage aside, I think the opportunity to see that authentic culture, beaches and historical buildings would be a history lesson for all ages.

I agree.

It's long overdue for both governments to thaw the relationship. We visited Cuba over 35 years ago and truly enjoyed our time there. Our kids have been and also had a great time.

As to the food, we enjoyed it, but didn't travel there expecting Michelin star restaurants. Nothing wrong with simple, tasty food. The Cuban people were as hospitable as anyone could ever ask for.

Hopefully the experience would not be changed by too many visitors and too many ships all at once.

As soon as dollars? Start flowing into Cuba . People will try and replace those older cars withnewer models. The people that will be hurt will be the old , sick ,infirm and ones that are expecting the goverment t o provide everything from the cradle to the grave. The brightest people w ill leave to find work outside the country.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Lets look at it logistically..

Cuba does have a cruise port, but its fairly small and not modern as I understand it. It would very likely have a hard time handling a larger 'modern' cruise ship at this time.

The island itself certainly does not have the infrastructure to support mass loads of tourists right now.

If and when the embargo is lifted, the emphasis will be on air arrivals, which can more easily be supported by current facilities. Revenues from that could be put into modernizing the ports (hopefully after they are put into renovating housing and roads and schools)