so mad at RCC

When I booked, they asked me how old my toddler is...and I told him she is 3. The playpen is for up to 3 years old....there is not the problem. the problem is, which they didn't mention during booking, there is a weight and height restriction. So if she is 3 but weighs more than 30lbs or is taller than a certain height, THEY WILL DISALLOW BOARDING. No one mentioned this to me while booking, I would have said, forget it. And I didn't save that much more on the cabin, I just got a better position (midship instead of FWD)

Thanks for explaining how this happened. Those little packable play/cribs are probably not considered safe for your child. I gather the telephone rep did not verify the child's size when booking the January Allure cruise. Did the telephone rep for the newer booking ask child's size, prompting the discovery of the issue for both cruises?

If the rep failed to ask an important question, I do think the cruiseline needs to make it right. I think it is perfectly OK for them to ask if two connecting inside cabins would suit you. Some people would say yes, others would say no, but the question is reasonable. Now, they now should look for another option. I suspect there are couples booked in triple cabins (almost always are some). Let's hope the cruiseline will be able to move one of those couples to free up a triple cabin for your family.

The problem was just discovered. They are clearly working on the issue. Try to be patient.

Still think it is a bit of a communications error. RC website indicates to use pack and play you have to be under 24 inches and 30 pounds. Agree that booking agent should have given you that information, but by requesting the pack and play for your "toddler" I can see where the error happened. I just don't think the majority of people would request this for a child who is that old and that big. Hopefully you can work this out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

when I was booking on board last time, the agent agent brought up a very inexpensive room, but we realized after a bit of digging that it was a room for two with a "roll away" and wouldn't work for my child, who is 12.

Another possible solution is to take one of the interiors, while keeping the balcony. Since you've already said you intend to sleep together in one bed, the other room is it really necessary beyond Royal's accounting of people to beds. Like others, I think we will work this out for you, but thought I'd mention that option in case they need a polite nudge.

Another possible solution is to take one of the interiors, while keeping the balcony. Since you've already said you intend to sleep together in one bed, the other room is it really necessary beyond Royal's accounting of people to beds. Like others, I think we will work this out for you, but thought I'd mention that option in case they need a polite nudge.

I was wondering the same as a solution.

Mom/Child could be booked in the balcony, dad in the inside. Then onboard get an extra balcony key for dad. The inside could be a nice option for afternoon naps or showering for dinner time.

Still think it is a bit of a communications error. RC website indicates to use pack and play you have to be under 24 inches and 30 pounds. Agree that booking agent should have given you that information, but by requesting the pack and play for your "toddler" I can see where the error happened. I just don't think the majority of people would request this for a child who is that old and that big. Hopefully you can work this out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just have to say that I never asked for this. when I called the rep it was to clarify for OBC. After talking, he is the one that suggested this cabin. He just told me that since my daughter fit the age group, it would be a better location for us. he never mentioned size and I didn't see any reason to question it. I was really ok with the other cabin I had seen on the website that was for triple.

When I booked, they asked me how old my toddler is...and I told him she is 3. The playpen is for up to 3 years old....there is not the problem. the problem is, which they didn't mention during booking, there is a weight and height restriction. So if she is 3 but weighs more than 30lbs or is taller than a certain height, THEY WILL DISALLOW BOARDING. No one mentioned this to me while booking, I would have said, forget it. And I didn't save that much more on the cabin, I just got a better position (midship instead of FWD)

I can't imagine that they weigh and measure kids at the pier any more than they ask for ID to prove that one is eligible for a military rate (which I wish they would do). But I wouldn't let up on RCI, and I wouldn't accept the two insides. The balcony plus inside would be a good option, though, especially if they are close to each other so you can actually use the inside for an extra bit of space.

24 inches tall? Seriously? My grandbaby is turning FOUR MONTHS old tomorrow and she is already almost 25 inches tall, but only weighs 13 pounds. She is at the 50 percentile for both height and weight. If you had a 30 pound 24 inch tall child that would be one heavy baby!

Ok, I'm seriously interested in this because we are sailing in two weeks and have a 3 year old who I was told would go in a pack n play, but he is more than 30 lbs I'm sure. And 24 inches seems pretty small for 3 years. Are we going to be turned away at the pier? I'm gonna freak out.

Is this more of a two person cabin without room for the pack n play or seriously that the child is too big for the pack n play and there is not a pullman available. They have maxed out our 4 person inside to allow for 5 with our 3 year old in a pack n play and now I'm scared we'll be denied boarding.

smithcruise, I asked the exact same question, and the agent seemed to say that they could deny boarding if the ship is fully booked and no other room available. Obviously it's a big problem because when I said the 2 inside is not acceptable, she said she was returning to them with my answer and would get back to me. I have not heard from them yet and I really want this resolved.

My question to everyone is do I call them back or wait for them to call me? From experience, will we have a solution that is satisfactory to us? If not, can we cancel without penalty? I'd like to know cause I would book something else while there is still room available on other ships :(

Edited by first_timer2

First_timer2, I would give them the allotted time that they stated that they would return your call. IF they haven't called back by then, I would calling them. I would stand my ground as this was their mistake, not yours.

If you had a balcony booked, then they should accommodate you somehow in a cabin or a cabin that connects to a cabin that the 3 of you can be in. I am personally very claustrophobic and could not ever do an inside cabin so I would be beyond upset if in this situation they suggested to me they would give me 2 inside cabins. That would definitely not fly with me at all.

Just take a deep breath and give them some time. Hopefully, they will come back with a solution and if not I would tell them I want to cancel without any penalties. In fact, I would demand all of my money back, they need to make it right if they have no way to do so, then you should not lose money. Wishing you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

My question to everyone is do I call them back or wait for them to call me? From experience, will we have a solution that is satisfactory to us? If not, can we cancel without penalty? I'd like to know cause I would book something else while there is still room available on other ships :(

Remember it is a Sunday night. issues like this need to be analyzed and handled by experienced people who are authorized by the company to handle such problems...Unlikely those people work Sunday night. Did they not tell you it might take some time? give them a little time. I would not call until Moday afternoon or Tuesday morning.

This is not a common circumstance, so it is unlikely anybody has enough experience to firmly predict whether they will satisfy you (in part because satisfactory to one would not be satisfactory to another). Also to predict the odds they will succeed, it might help to know the exact category of balcony you booked (like D1 or D4 or C2 or whatever).

I do think they will find a way to work this out. Unless or until they fail to find a solution, you cannot get a refund. I suppose you could place a courtesy hold on another cruise (if courtesy holds are being offered so close to sail date) if it makes you feel better.

Am I understanding correctly? You booked a double occupancy cabin with the understanding you could put a pack and play in for your child (even tho your paying for 3rd pax occupancy) and now the child won't fit in a pack and play and there are no triple occupancy balcony cabins available?

On HAL, I was originally told at the time of booking that my son (36 months at sailing) would have a pack n play. When I emailed HAL to confirm this a month prior to sailing, I was told their official policy is to only provide pack n plays to children under 24 months, and that we would not receive one. The cabin had a couch, so we planned on turning it around and having our son sleep there. But when we boarded the boat, it turned out they did provide us with a pack n play. I had brought pack n play sheets just in case and would recommend that you do the same, since sometimes there is miscommunication between the call center and ship personnel.

So I'm not 100% certain that RC won't provide you with a pack n' play. But this does lead to my question - what exactly is Royal's concern with your original room? Is it that the room is not certified to carry three passengers or is it that they don't know where your child will sleep? Because a three year old can sleep on a couch turned backwards if you have one in your cabin, or you can purchase your own toddler cot and have it shipped to your hotel. You shouldn't have to purchase anything, but it would cost a lot less than the fees for canceling your airline tickets (http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-5001-My-Cot/dp/B000H1MRJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419217810&sr=8-1&keywords=toddler+cot) If you need to purchase a cot, I 'd ask Royal to reimburse you for the cost.

You didn't do anything wrong here - the mistake was entirely RC's fault, and I wouldn't accept two interior rooms for a balcony. I would calmly tell RC that I would be happy to keep my current room, and take one of the interior rooms if they need an extra room to ensure the head count or coast guard regulations are met. The interior room might come in handy for storage or naps.

Edited by kitkat343

Toddler is 12-36 months. Once a child is 3 they are no longer a toddler.

Secondly you say you called to book another cruise in July and was bombed with this info? Why would an agent bring up another cruise you weren't asking about? I've never had this happen in ALL my rccl cruises ever.

I thought you had to have the appropriate number of people for any room; I didn't know age had anything to do with it.

I, too, wonder if it's actually muster station issues.

But then that would have been taken care of at the time of the original booking.

All I know is that I"m mystified.

I told him she is 3. The playpen is for up to 3 years old....there is not the problem.

Oh, but yes, there is. "Up to" means "under". The teen club is for teens up to 18. That does NOT include 18. Getting in free to one zoo we went to was "up to 3". For the other, it was 0-3 and THEY meant "through" 3.

And employees can get it wrong. At my YMCA someone there told a visiting friend that her daughter couldn't be in playcare because it was for 0-6. Kids can go to "drop in" zone at 7. The policy is 0 THROUGH 6 but "0-6" can be read either way. They meant "through" but a couple employees thought it was "to". Not sure what thsoe employees thought 6 year olds could do while their parents worked out, LOL. They weren't thinking is what the deal was.

The person booking you might have thought "to 3" mean "through 3" and thought they could put the 3 year old in the room.

OR the person you're currently talking to is thinking it means "to" when perhaps it DOES mean "through".

Agreed.

24 inches tall? Seriously? My grandbaby is turning FOUR MONTHS old tomorrow and she is already almost 25 inches tall, but only weighs 13 pounds. She is at the 50 percentile for both height and weight. If you had a 30 pound 24 inch tall child that would be one heavy baby!

My son was 22" when he arrived and 2 weeks later had uncurled to 24".

Ok, I'm seriously interested in this because we are sailing in two weeks and have a 3 year old who I was told would go in a pack n play, but he is more than 30 lbs I'm sure. And 24 inches seems pretty small for 3 years. Are we going to be turned away at the pier? I'm gonna freak out.

Is this more of a two person cabin without room for the pack n play or seriously that the child is too big for the pack n play and there is not a pullman available. They have maxed out our 4 person inside to allow for 5 with our 3 year old in a pack n play and now I'm scared we'll be denied boarding.

Other than the various Family Suites, I didn't know they allowed five in one cabin.

I have been a member here almost 15 years(ignore my id). Yet I am always amazed...

jc

What is it you are amazed about? People who cruise with small children are interested in this topic. If you do not cruise with small children then maybe you are amazed about this subject, but really, what is your point?

Other than the various Family Suites, I didn't know they allowed five in one cabin.

When we were on the Allure this past August, some friends of ours from the UK were in an inside family cabin. It held all five of them. The smallest one in the group is 5'11". :eek: There are cabins that hold 5. They had a king bed, a sofa and two bunk beds. It was a big room.

:)

Some of the posters here seem to think that I did something wrong here. I never asked for this room, they offered it to me, knowing well how old my daughter was, since I had cruised with them before. The ONLY reason I called was because I had future cruise credit that I needed to use and didn't know how to use them. When he quoted me the price, he came way more than what I got online for the same room, then looking, he said "oh I didn't apply the residency discount you are allowed" and then came with hold on a minute, I have a cabin that is midship that you can put your daughter in a playpen. I told him, that is fine, she won't use the playpen as the bed is big enough for the 3 of us. Even in a cabin of 3 she would have slept with us. The problem with this cabin I have is that that there is no couch that converts into a bed. It is a double occupancy with a pack and play. I can keep that room, it does not bother me one bit, but the agent I spoke to yesterday plainly told me, if once we get to the pier, if they feel that my daughter is too big for the playpen, they will deny us boarding if no other cabin suitable for us is available. I cannot risk it. I've been looking forward to this cruise and we are less than 2 weeks away and now I don't know what will happen. I hope this clarifies the situation for those who think I'm looking for more than what I paid for. I really just want a balcony that fits the 3 of us with no problems at the pier!:o

first_timer2, I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. While our children are grown, we will eventually have grandchildren, and this would be a situation that feasibly could affect our family. I learn so much here on CC through others experiences.

Hoping for a real resolution, not an inside for a balcony resolution. I would think this time of year is probably a bit crazy for the cruise lines since people may be considering a last minute New Year's Eve cruise. Wouldn't hesitate to give them a call when it's convenient for you.

I'd give them a few hours this morning to get back to you. If they don't, call them again. But be prepared to have a long phone call, but make them find a resolution today. Good Luck. BTW Royal messed this up not you. They are the ones who need to fix this to the customer's satisfaction - You.