Pictorial Trip Report: Legend OTS ~ December 15, 2014

DarthGrady

Day 9, One Last Sea Day:

We started our last day in the main dining room having breakfast with LT. We attended a bridge tour after that. The officer that gave the tour was brand new, having just started with the company after graduating school in November. He did a very thorough job explaining the ships systems and fielding questions.

We had lunch in the dining room, and made one last trip up to the gym. In the evening we did the last round of visits to the VCL and CL. We had our final drinks with all the new and old cruise friends. Then we had one last dinner in the WJ.

We sang along with Doug D in the Schooner Bar, there was a lively crowd in there. It was nice to go out on a high note. I then ended up back in the room to do the sad duty of packing our bags to leave in the morning.

As I packed, I watched a documentary on the building of Voyager of the Seas. At the time of her construction, she was the biggest and most advanced cruise ship ever. And although I remain a customer and fan of Carnival Cruise Lines, it was funny to see Carnival's (former head designer) Joe Farcus saying that mini golf and rock climbing were simply gimmicks. He confidently proclaimed that no one would book a cruise based on such trivialities. At the time (1999-ish), Carnival's most advanced ships were the (Fantasy Class) Carnival Paradise, and the (Destiny Class) Carnival Triumph. Neither of which had mini golf at the time. Ironically enough, both ships had it added later on when RCI began seeing increased bookings from those same "gimmicks".

Our bridge tour:

The detailed deck plans are explained

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu66%3B9%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A77333293326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu6385%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A7733329%3A326nu0mrj

The door out to the bridge wing

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu6663%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A773332%3A2326nu0mrj

Watertight door panels

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu697%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D9%3A8%3D773%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B682423%3A5235ot1lsi

The paper charts

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu6466%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A773332%3B6326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A39%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D9%3A8%3D773%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B67%3B%3B6653235ot1lsi

A few more odds and ends

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu83%3C2%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A77335649326nu0mrj

Our 210 block

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu4852%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A77335652326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A936%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A77335658326nu0mrj

Final thoughts:

Debarkation went very easy. We carried our bags off, so we were among the first people leaving. The only hitch for some was that the ship pulled up to the terminal used by Oasis and Allure. We were going to be shuttled anyway, but those who parked at #4 would also have to be driven over there. We had a breakfast ashore with LT before heading back north on the turnpike.

Even though it was much lower energy than our Halloween cruise on FOS, I still thoroughly enjoyed those nine nights on the Legend. She is a great old ship, and has a very friendly crew. The few minor issues weren’t enough to cause me stress, and the slower pace of the cruise was a nice change. I hope to go back on Legend again soon, I seem to enjoy the smaller ships much more than the big mega-liners nowadays. I’m glad my next trip is on a Radiance Class, the spiritual successors to the Vision Class. They are the best ships that Royal has ever, and likely will ever produce.

That's it folks, the whole review. Hope you all enjoyed it! I'll try to help with any questions that anyone has.

Thanks much Grady! Excellent photos. Reminded me of our very enjoyable transatlantic on LG last year.

Another of the nice touches on the "little" RCI ship, cold towels being handed out upon the return from each port.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu465%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D9%3A8%3D773%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B67%3B%3C%3A7%3B9235ot1lsi

Was this at every port? I'm looking forward to this. It seems like a very nice touch, after a day in port.

Thanks for the great review. Only 26 days until we sail on the Legend.

Thanks for all the pics...........

We did the same tours in Aruba and Curacao.I was very disappointed in the Curacao factory(?).............it should be more like John Watlings in Nassau, don't ya think?

Looking forward to the next one.......:)

That's it folks, the whole review. Hope you all enjoyed it! I'll try to help with any questions that anyone has.

Thanks for taking the time. I may never sail legend, but I do hope to hit a few of those ports I haven't hit yet. Enjoy Brilliance.

Thanks, Grady. Really wished I could have found the energy to hang out at piano with you. Glad to see your block as well. Lighting was quite creative.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

No problem John, it was great meeting you both. Next time we're on a ship together we'll shut the piano bar down one night,,,, or two,,,,, or nine. ;)

Thanks for all the pics...........

We did the same tours in Aruba and Curacao.I was very disappointed in the Curacao factory(?).............it should be more like John Watlings in Nassau, don't ya think?

Looking forward to the next one.......:)

I agree Kathy, it was pretty disappointing compared to what we did in Nassau. We need to do that again sometime, you and Beth need more rumdums!

Thanks for taking the time. I may never sail legend, but I do hope to hit a few of those ports I haven't hit yet. Enjoy Brilliance.

Thanks Bill!

Was this at every port? I'm looking forward to this. It seems like a very nice touch, after a day in port.

Thanks for the great review. Only 26 days until we sail on the Legend.

Yes, they were having y the cold towels out at all of them. They also had water jugs set up for guests to drink.

Thanks much Grady! Excellent photos. Reminded me of our very enjoyable transatlantic on LG last year.

Thanks Bob! I still have not done a transatlantic yet, but I definitely hope to.

Great review! Thanks for taking the time. Might have to change our planned trip next year (it will be next year when we get to 2015 in a few days) to a B2B! :)

B2Bs are always a good choice. It's nice knowing on that first cruise that you don't have to go home like everyone else! :D

Nice review. I enjoyed being back on the Legend with you and would not hesitate to book her again. The crew was super.

Totally agree, the crew was very friendly. I've noticed that on the older and smaller ships, like the old Monarch, they seem to really gel together more.

Thanks for the review and photos, well done.

No problem, and thank you!

Great review!!! You have me ready to book a cruise on her soon! :)

Thanks very much, you'll enjoy her.

This was very enjoyable to read along with, especially the detailed bridge tour.

I'm happy you enjoyed it. I'm very glad I was able to take pictures. Royal is much better about that, Carnival wouldn't let me take any on their bridge tour.

Edited by DarthGrady

Thank you for the great review and pics Grady. Very timely for me to see all of this as I've never been on Legend and will sail her in March. Your Aruba/Curacao pics brought back awesome memories :)

Your welcome, hope you have a great cruise!

We were on the Legend in September 2013. You took some really beautiful pictures of the ship!

Thanks! :)

Great to see all the photos! Thanks so much for sharing! We set sail in 48 days on Legend and are very excited! This is my third cruise but my husband's first so I thought this size ship would be perfect to break him in on ;) Can't wait to get out of this cold and in to the warmth of the Caribbean!