Former Galaxy Ship

Keith1010

Good idea, but given that it was almost all the way aft, that would seem unlikely. I think the bridge is on what is now Deck 10 forward, and I think the marine officers are on Deck 9 directly under the bridge (most newer ships have those officers directly behind the bridge).

Here's that one balcony. I took this shot when I was on Galaxy (Mein Schiff) when we were in port together. Can't remember where. It was indeed done as an experiment when the word on the street was Horizon would stay in the Celebrity fleet and have a lot of balconies added:

horizonbalcony_zpsb9462b38.jpg

Phil

Thanks for the further info.....I just remember so clearly on our 1st every cruise which was on Mercury in her inaugural season being in a Sky Suite up on deck 12 with a balcony that literally could have held a party of 20 people quite comfortably.........biggest balcony we've had on any shape to this date.....:)

Additionally on each end of the sky suites and on each side of the ship they had veranda cabins at the same price as those on the other decks. The big difference was they also had huge veranda's as in the sky suites. Celebrity got smart and when they developed Concierge cabins,, these four cabins on the Galaxy and Mercury became some of the first CC cabins.

Thanks, Phil! I was hoping that I had not made that balcony up:rolleyes:

Thom

Here's some discussion about the veranda and the possibility of more on Cruise Critic in 2004.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=13465&highlight=horizon+veranda

Phil and I are both in that thread....

Edited by dkjretired

Additionally on each end of the sky suites and on each side of the ship they had veranda cabins at the same price as those on the other decks. The big difference was they also had huge veranda's as in the sky suites. Celebrity got smart and when they developed Concierge cabins,, these four cabins on the Galaxy and Mercury became some of the first CC cabins.

I didn't know that! That balcony was amazing on the SS, occasionally I have to drag out pictures to show people because they don't believe me when I tell them how large it was......at the time we thought it was "wasted space" but that was from a "newbie" cruiser.....would love to have that size balcony in a CC or SS now!!!!:D

We have seen Mein Schiff 2 (Mercury) a number of times in the Caribbean, and saw it in Oslo in September. I have yet to see the Galaxy reconfigured as Mein Schiff 1, but we are scheduled to be in port with her in Bonaire in a month. Seeing them brings back lots of good memories, as well as the memory of encountering two major hurricanes:eek: (Ivan and Jeanne; they each rate a Wikipedia page) on the same 2004 Galaxy cruise.

Thom

I didn't know that! That balcony was amazing on the SS, occasionally I have to drag out pictures to show people because they don't believe me when I tell them how large it was......at the time we thought it was "wasted space" but that was from a "newbie" cruiser.....would love to have that size balcony in a CC or SS now!!!!:D

And on the other end was one of the staterooms with a pole. Scroll down on the below website for the picture.

http://cruiseclues.com/galaxy/stateroompole.htm

This is the original Galaxy with balconies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Schiff_1#mediaviewer/File:Galaxy_2.jpg

This is the photo that I took the other day.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-40DSx0eMrGc/VJ1NJhlHzCI/AAAAAAAAook/3iEGzg66q9E/s1600/DSC_1849.jpg

From what I can see there are more balconies today then when the ship originally was added to the fleet.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Galaxy had some standard balconies, but they didn't stick out that far from the hull like on Mein Schiff. See this picture and compare...

http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/13356/Galaxy_-_2.jpg

I cruised Galaxy back in May 1999 doing a 12-night repositioning from LA to Vancouver via Alaska's Inside Passage in SkySuite 1203. She is still one of my fondest cruise memories.

I also got the chance to catch one of Mercury's final cruises, which sailed out of Baltimore. She was a fine ship as well.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise was on the Galaxy too, very fond memories of our family Greek Island cruise. Philip Herbert was hotel director and we now prefer the azamara quest where he is hotel director!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by aussie travel bird

Our first cruise was on the Galaxy too, very fond memories of our family Greek Island cruise. Philip Herbert was hotel director and we now prefer the azamara quest where he is hotel director

How does the size of Azamara Quest compare to Galaxy / Mercury?

Ah, memories. . .I was on the maiden voyage of Galaxy at Christmas, '95 or '96. She was gorgeous! The two things that stand out in my mind are the Martini Bar, first one I had ever seen, and the glass enclosed cigar room. I wonder how long that lasted??

We had an inside cabin for four of us, and I remember how spacious it was, and how well laid out. Double bunks, lots of storage. It was a fun trip!! Is love to see her again.

According to Nauticalcities, Galaxy entered service in 1996. We are scheduled to see her (as Mein Schiff 1) in Bonaire in two weeks.

Thom

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was '96 but I wasn't positive.

Edited by CathyCruises

Looks that way to me too....could they have been added AFTER it left the Celebrity fleet? I don't know, but I don't remember anything about balconies being added when she was with X....but again, I don't know.

As explained before they added the balconies outside the superstructure when she was transferred to TUI Cruises. With Celebrity she had fewer balconies as partof the superstructure. They also added a ducktail and enlarged the spa above the bridge. I still miss their old and beautiful look!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app