Zuiderdam balcony cabin shade/breeze

paulsen02

Hi all - we are thinking of taking our first cruise in February - partial Panama. I am making myself crazy reading posts and trying to figure out what cabin/location would be good for someone that hates the heat. I know it will be hot no matter what but might some cabins be better for getting shade and a breeze? We won't be able to afford the aft wrap around, and if we did spring for one of the slightly larger aft cabins I have read there would be little breeze and that would be pushing the budget a lot. Does deck 5 have all covered balconies so might that be best? Any specific location? Mid-ship seems to be more expensive and I don't believe we will be prone to motion sickness. Thank you so much - I have been learning a lot in the last couple of days reading this forum! Oh and once I pick would you suggest not signing up for the possible upgrade then? Thanks again!!

I can only speak for my own experience, but we were on the deck 4 aft wrap starboard on the Zuiderdam last November. There was no cover over the balcony al the way across the aft. Deck 5 did have a cover, and that would be better in my opinion. All the aft wraps have a lot of wind, due to the corner exposure.

Cabins between the wraps should have less wind, and on deck 5, the sun should be tolerable. For the positives, I went to see the canal, and there was no better place to see it. I got a close up look at the mule hook-up, from the side, and I was right on top of the gates as they swung and filed. Superb views.

Don't know if that helps. You will probably get a lot of other opinions.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can only speak for my own experience, but we were on the deck 4 aft wrap starboard on the Zuiderdam last November. There was no cover over the balcony al the way across the aft. Deck 5 did have a cover, and that would be better in my opinion. All the aft wraps have a lot of wind, due to the corner exposure.

Cabins between the wraps should have less wind, and on deck 5, the sun should be tolerable. For the positives, I went to see the canal, and there was no better place to see it. I got a close up look at the mule hook-up, from the side, and I was right on top of the gates as they swung and filed. Superb views.

Don't know if that helps. You will probably get a lot of other opinions.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all - we are thinking of taking our first cruise in February - partial Panama. I am making myself crazy reading posts and trying to figure out what cabin/location would be good for someone that hates the heat. I know it will be hot no matter what but might some cabins be better for getting shade and a breeze? We won't be able to afford the aft wrap around, and if we did spring for one of the slightly larger aft cabins I have read there would be little breeze and that would be pushing the budget a lot. Does deck 5 have all covered balconies so might that be best? Any specific location? Mid-ship seems to be more expensive and I don't believe we will be prone to motion sickness. Thank you so much - I have been learning a lot in the last couple of days reading this forum! Oh and once I pick would you suggest not signing up for the possible upgrade then? Thanks again!!

Definitely try your best to get a Deck 5 Aft facing stateroom.

No matter where you get the stateroom, I do have to warn you that you will more than likely be absolutely miserable:( I will get flamed for making that statement since I love the Aft Wraps (especially Deck 5) HOWEVER I can explain:

I live in the Southwest (Albuquerque, New Mexico to be exact) and we have heat here. Our partial transit of the Panama canal about kicked my backside!!

So, when I read you hate the heat...... Believe me, you will not be prepared for just how hot, and it's a humid heat which intensifies the misery.

Joanie

It's going to be HOT in Panama....no way around it! Go outside, try for shade, and then go into the AC.... You shouldn't stay on your balcony for the passage....you will miss too much. Wander the ship...all sides and deck levels....and then head inside to cool off.

I like heat, and I thought I would burst into flames.....yes...it's that hot!

We plan to take our "cooling neck scarves" when we do the Panama Canal in the Spring. We used them in the Far East last Spring - very successful. What I learned to do was to put the scarf in a plastic bag with some melting ice, and the scarf absorbs that really cold water - wonderfully cooling. I remember how terribly hot the Canal was last time, so I do mean to pop in and out of the air conditioning, too. And drink lots of water!:)

Thanks for the info. I do hate hot weather and we normally travel to places that are much cooler, but my husband really wants to see the Panama Canal and so I will try and suck it up, and I figure he can be out and about much more than me. The aft cabins that aren't wrap around are still pretty pricey but we may be able to splurge. I was also looking at 5172 and 5178 that are less expensive - would these have the normal 6 x 9 balcony and clear views, and maybe more breeze? One is shower only and the other is a tub - would the shower only room give us a bit more space? I have to admit while it sounds like a fun adventure, this heat thing is really freaking me out a bit. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info. I do hate hot weather and we normally travel to places that are much cooler, but my husband really wants to see the Panama Canal and so I will try and suck it up, and I figure he can be out and about much more than me. The aft cabins that aren't wrap around are still pretty pricey but we may be able to splurge. I was also looking at 5172 and 5178 that are less expensive - would these have the normal 6 x 9 balcony and clear views, and maybe more breeze? One is shower only and the other is a tub - would the shower only room give us a bit more space? I have to admit while it sounds like a fun adventure, this heat thing is really freaking me out a bit. Thanks again!

Any cabin with a balcony means you will not be miserable in the heat.;) You can pop back into the air conditioned cabin whenever you need to.

And be sure to take a cooling neck scarf as mentioned above, and drink plenty of water. Also note the the balconies on deck 4 of the Zuiderdam are larger than others, and extend a little further out. Also, 4164 and 4166 have a double-wide balcony.

I have done two full transits and one partial transit. Our balconies were on the side. Sure it is hot and humid but you can pop back into your cabin and cool off. We wear cooling neck scarves and drink plenty of water. It is one of the most amazing trips you will ever take. We enjoyed it so much that we are booked to do it again this coming April and again in 2016.

I am not a fan of heat but if you are sensible in taking time to cool off you will have no problem. Don't just stay on your balcony. Walk all over the ship to get views from all directions.

We just returned Dec 19 from the 11 day partial canal transit on Zuiderdam. We were in 5185 aft balcony. We loved this cabin; very large balcony with two loungers, two chairs, footstool and a small table. It was completely covered so protected us from the sun for most of the trip. You don't get as much breeze as you would on the side balconies, but we did not find the heat unbearable. The day of our transit was a cloudy one though with several brief rain showers. I imagine it would have been quite hot on a sunny day. I think these aft balconies on deck5 provide the most protection from the elements. We only really had direct sunlight on the last two days at sea returning to FLL so those days were quite hot.

On Panama Canal day they open the forward sections of decks 4 through 7 so I would suggest going out there to view the approach as you enter the locks. Also the view from the sides on Deck 3 or from the Deck 10 observation lounge. We then returned to our balcony to watch the remainder of the transit through the locks. It is quite fascinating and you get a great up close view from the aft balconies.

There has also been some mention made in recent reviews of problems with air conditioning and plumbing on the Zuiderdam, but we experienced none of that on our recent trip. It was one of the nicest cruises we have ever taken.

You will enjoy it!

Edited by sp2

When I did the partial Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam I had a guest key for one of the deck 5 cabins across the stern; it was one of the two cabins at the very center.

The balcony was extra deep, with less room across the rail than the distance to the door. It was fully covered, but brutally hot out there. There wasn't a bit of air movement either on the Canal day, or any other time I was out there.

If it's going to be a stretch to budget for one of these cabins, then you might want to forego a balcony cabin at all.

When going through the Canal, it is much better to view from various locations. It's nice to be on a forward deck when entering one lock, and from an aft deck for an exit (on the partial cruise you do one lock, but there are three "steps", so there are three opportunities). You want to view from a high deck, and from down on the Promenade Deck.

Remember, too, that if you don't take a tour, you have the chance to see the same things on the way back out.

It's very possible to have great views, as well as go back inside for A/C, without getting a balcony cabin.

Corner aft wrap on Deck 5 in early Nov. Fully covered balcony - not really hot during the Canal. Easy to pop in to cabin to cool off though. IMO, best cabin on the Zuiderdam to view the Canal passage!

DaveOKC

If you are in an aft cabin, the afternoon sun will be shining into the stateroom and heating all of the furniture. This will cause your room to heat quickly and overwhelm the A/C. Therefore, it is important to keep your verandah curtains closed if you want to keep your room cool.

Can't beat an aft wrap for the PC.

If you are in an aft cabin, the afternoon sun will be shining into the stateroom and heating all of the furniture. This will cause your room to heat quickly and overwhelm the A/C. Therefore, it is important to keep your verandah curtains closed if you want to keep your room cool.

Can't beat an aft wrap for the PC.

Which is exactly what we did and thus did not have any air conditioning problems.

We haven't done the Canal Partial Transit (although we'd extensively researched it before we had to cancel due an incident with Husband's health)

That being said .... we totally enjoy a balcony cabin and wouldn't cruise without one. We like to sit out there enjoying morning room service coffee or in the afternoon (in the shade of the overhang :D) with a glass of wine or to stargaze after our nightcap in our favorite lounge.

We book V category cabins on the sides of the ship (we like toward the aft best) on a deck that has cabins above and below it rather than public areas (noise is normally better there)

From our 9 cruises we've deduced .... If the ship is cruising there is usually a breeze on the verandah.

Don't forget that the Crow's Nest is air conditioned if it gets too hot for you outside and it has windows more that 180 degrees around you. Your DH can wander around outside at will while you chill in the Crow's Nest :D

why go where its hot if you don't like the heat? the ship will be cool. not much more you can ask for. :confused:

Perhaps the OP wants to see the Panama Canal. I don't like heat either, but I wanted to see the Panama Canal...so until they move it (I'm joking here) I had to go to the heat.

We had an aft-wrap but had family members in a port-side balcony near the front of the ship. This was a nice location for them. Keep in mind that you should do what others have mentioned and keep your curtains drawn at all times. This will significantly help to keep the room cooler.

You will be able I go all over the public decks of the ship while you are entering and leaving the canal...and I would recommend this to see it from all angles. Especially stand on the back rail of the ship when a gate is closing behind you to see that. The entire experience as so great...we loved it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the replies! After reading all these replies I did look and the aft cabins appear to be sold out anyway. I think if we do a V category on the side of the ship my husband will be able to spend time out there on other days and for the actual transit can run all over the ship to his hearts desire. I am considering Panama because I love my hubby a lot more than I hate the heat, and it means a lot to him. ;) Thanks for the info about deck 5 having covered balconies, would deck 4 also have at least partially covered balconies? We will certainly keep the curtains closed as much as possible, another good tip!

Thanks for all the replies! After reading all these replies I did look and the aft cabins appear to be sold out anyway. I think if we do a V category on the side of the ship my husband will be able to spend time out there on other days and for the actual transit can run all over the ship to his hearts desire. I am considering Panama because I love my hubby a lot more than I hate the heat, and it means a lot to him. ;) Thanks for the info about deck 5 having covered balconies, would deck 4 also have at least partially covered balconies? We will certainly keep the curtains closed as much as possible, another good tip!

Yes deck 4 balconies are fine. The extra little bit where it extends is not covered, but you will get shade otherwise.

We live where the actual temp is 6 BELOW zero ( feels like 18 below they say ) today, and doing our fourth partial transit of the Canal soon.....looking forward to getting all the heat we can......really tho, I can't say that any of our three cruises to the Canal have felt so hot that we needed to be inside much, if at all. All have been in Feb, and we are doing it again this year in an aft wrap.....we love that location, especially for this cruise, for shade, as well as privacy....hard to do much sun bathing tho as its mostly shaded all the time....