Unfortunate incident on the QOTS

FIRELT5

Wrong.

In most states in is completely legal to use deadly force to defend yourself against a sexual assault.

What would you suggest we do in this situation, ask him nicely to stop and then wait to see what he does?

Self defense lessons are a good idea. Most of us don't want to fight, but we should know the basics of self-defense.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20141227/NEWS/141229386/1374?Title=Cruise-Ship-Worker-s-Attack-Leaves-Passenger-With-Devastating-Injuries

I don't think I've been on a ship that didn't have a deadbolt. It's located under the handle. I tried to find a picture without success.

Big G, yes I agree the cabins on most ships have a 'deadbolt'. But that is actually just a simple lock that be unlocked by a crew member with a master key card. Which means it is a lock that can be opened without your knowledge or permission. Get the picture? False sense of security?

Edited by Salacia

Self defense is neither illegal nor immoral.

Actually, the natural law calls for self defense. Meaning that is a natural instinct to defend oneself, and with proper training, the better we become at defending ourselves; please note, I am not in favor of guns.

Edited by Salacia

Did the assault victim have any personal contact with the attacker, before the incident? Not that it would make it right, but it could be a motive. Always two sides to a story!:confused:

This is part of what the FBI Officer filed in his affidavit:

"...On or about December 23, 2014, a female passenger (the “Victim”) was sleeping in her room aboard the cruise ship. While the Victim was asleep, defendant KARAN SEECHURN entered the Victim’s room without her knowledge and permission. The Victim awoke to find one of defendant KARAN SEECHURN’s hands touching her genitalia, she pushed him off her and she tried to leave the room, but he pulled her back and threatened to burn down the cruise ship if she told anyone."

Whether or not the alleged attacker had any previous contact with the passenger seems irrelevant to me. Nevertheless, that is for a jury to decide, should this case ever come to trial.

What we as passengers are concerned about is how to remain safe on board. That a crew member can use a master key to enter a cabin without the occupants permission or knowledge at any time of the day or night is a fact. Something has to be done about that, in my opinion. -Salacia

Big G, yes I agree the cabins on most ships have a 'deadbolt'. But that is actually just a simple lock that be unlocked by a crew member with a master key card. Which means it is a lock that can be opened without your knowledge or permission. Get the picture? False sense of security?

My understanding from another post is the cabin steward cannot unlock the deadbolt with his master key, only higher up crew can in case of an emergency.

My understanding from another post is the cabin steward cannot unlock the deadbolt with his master key, only higher up crew can in case of an emergency.

Opinions and experiences vary on this question. I haven't heard or read any definitive answer from any cruise line regarding which crew members can and can't open the cabin doors when the 'lock' has been thrown.

Previously on this thread, other precautions have been mentioned, all of which seem like good ideas until such time as cruise lines offer more details and improved security, in my opinion. -S.

Edited to add:

I have to wonder about the idea that "in an emergency" passengers would want their cabin door opened by a crew member. At home, would we want to leave our doors available to be opened in the same manner? I lock all the doors in my home at night, including chain locks. In the event of an emergency, I have no doubt that rescue workers would bust down the doors if necessary. I don't give keys to my home to strangers and I have very good locks on my doors and windows. Despite living in a low crime area, I have no desire to test fate.:)

Edited by Salacia

I don't think I've been on a ship that didn't have a deadbolt. It's located under the handle. I tried to find a picture without success.

No I couldn't "get the picture" as denoted in my comment. I couldn't find one. :rolleyes:;) Of course the deadbolt can be overridden. It just can't be overridden by just anybody. I've never had a false sense of security anywhere but thank you four your concern. ;)

By the way, as to your other question, a judge won't except a plea on your first appearance for a felony charge. No plea is entered, bail is set, and the case is referred to the US Attorney for prosecution.

Edited by Big_G

Self defense lessons are a good idea. Most of us don't want to fight, but we should know the basics of self-defense.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20141227/NEWS/141229386/1374?Title=Cruise-Ship-Worker-s-Attack-Leaves-Passenger-With-Devastating-Injuries

........even better she should have been "packing".......there is a reason why in the old west it was called "the equalizer"........;)

Are you sure? Just to be 100% clear, we're talking about that second lock near the door handle, not that latch/chain thing higher up on the door (picture recently posted) that's common on hotel room doors. I simply cannot imagine that they didn't include a second deadbolt lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Definitely Sure - It might have been the type of door we had (automatic open) but we have always had one, and hubby & I had a long discussion about it. I never thought to ask anyone else if they had one - but we did not have a deadbolt of any kind on our door.

On a different note - did you know that the beer in your fridge is cheaper to buy then going to a bar on the ship? I think most things in there are cheaper than buying it elsewhere on the ship. Most people are unaware of this.

Definitely Sure - It might have been the type of door we had (automatic open) but we have always had one, and hubby & I had a long discussion about it. I never thought to ask anyone else if they had one - but we did not have a deadbolt of any kind on our door.

Thanks, very surprising! Curious to hear from those who didn't have automatic open doors if it was the same deal.

Edited by Dave85

Thanks to all who posted very important information oh this thread. I don't know way the thread was removed from the main forum, but thanks again to those who took the time to respond and give helpful advice. -Salacia

Was on there 19 days, never once used that dead bolt. Honestly can't remember it existing. I know I've used ones on other ships since I'm always the last in at night, but for some reason can't remember even realizing it was there.

You have to wonder what would make someone who has had multiple contracts suddenly do this. I'm even pretty sure I talked to him on our cruise. During the inaugural the mini bar wasn't stocked properly and he came into our room twice (that I'm aware of) in the afternoon while I was in there to stock it. Both times he knocked and I answered the door, he then asked permission and put a door stop in while in the room. Guessing that's normal procedure anytime a crew member enters a room since you always see the door wedged open when the room is being cleaned as well. Didn't notice anything off or unusual. Looking at his photos though I am almost positive it was him that restocked the fridge.

OT......whats the thing by the door that looks like a business card holder? Is that a place to put your ship and sail card? Never seen that before on any ship?

Jimbo:)

That's the slot you have to put a card in for the lights / electricity to run in the room. It must stay in there while you are in the cabin. The ship wants you to use your ship card so you'll take it and cut the lights (saving energy) when you leave, but in practice few people do as any other card works fine.

Those slots have appeared on the most recent brand new ships I've sailed on, across lines. I'm sure you'll encounter one sooner rather than later!

Edited by Dave85

There is only the deadbolt on the door.

Another thing we noticed is that the door can still be opened from the outside once the deadbolt is used if you use your WOW band.

You can not stop access to your cabin.

Cheers,

Jeff