Oasis returning to port?

Pilot53

The flow rider makes no sense. Most of the stories claim that he was spotted in the pool from an upper deck by a passenger and then pulled out by someone in the pool. There is no upper deck overlooking the flow rider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The flow rider makes no sense. Most of the stories claim that he was spotted in the pool from an upper deck by a passenger and then pulled out by someone in the pool. There is no upper deck overlooking the flow rider.

I agree, CptSticky...I shouldn't have referred to the news media and 'facts' in the same sentence.

Many here are saying that the cruise lines should provide life guards. I can't imagine the logistics....a lifeguard on every ship at every pool all the time (or when the pool is 'open')? If something happens, is the lifeguard liable? Will the pools only be open when a lifeguard is on duty?

Next thing we know, the cruise lines will be charging for liability insurance and signed waivers before anyone can get wet.

We're sailing on the Oasis Feb 21, 2015 and I'm curious what changes, if any, will be made around the pool areas.

I agree it still seems really unlikely that it was the flowrider. That said, have newer reports said anything about the passenger who spotted the child being on an upper deck?

Or, is it possible to see into the rear section of the flowrider from an L2 balcony on deck 17? I don't know if sight-lines would make that possible or if it would be too far or not.

I agree it still seems really unlikely that it was the flowrider. That said, have newer reports said anything about the passenger who spotted the child being on an upper deck?

Or, is it possible to see into the rear section of the flowrider from an L2 balcony on deck 17? I don't know if sight-lines would make that possible or if it would be too far or not.

We almost always stay on Deck 17. From there you cannot see the top of the wave, were it finishes at the top/back of the wall. The view from the Wind Jammer would be worse, espically with the reflection on glass from the inside lights.

That all being said anyone standing in line for the Flowrider, not to mention sports deck crew at the bottom, or cruisers watching from the top seats, bleachers or the side views could miss a 4 year old at the top or bottom of the wave. There are stop buttons at the bottom on each side of the wave at the glass not to mention the main one at the starts stop controls at the top. The wave can be stopped in seconds.

If the child was at the top, then they also would have to have walked on the exit mat, past the line up as well as the sports staff. I highly doubt a 4 year old could pass that many people without being stopped by someone. If the child was at the bottom they would have been at the feet of the sports staff. On disembarkation day the Flowrider usually operates for open riding until 6pm. If there are private lessons they start around 7pm. I can't remember ever seeing private lessons or rentals on embarkation night. I ride as much as I can and with an aft racing cabin on 17 I always glance out to see who is riding when ever it is operating.

When the Flowrider is not running there is about 2-4 inches at the very bottom of the wave. There is a chance, very small, that the child could have slipped and fallen face first into the water injured themselve's and be unconscious face first in those few inches of water. They could have drowned followed by being revived. Is it possible? Maybe, put I think the circular pool stands a better chance. There would have been no view from a glass window above the Flowrider to have spotted the child if they were to have been unconscious at the bottom of the wave.

As for the circular pool, on deck 16 there could have been someone at the observation window area looking down that could have spotted the child in the pool. No matter the situation it is unfortunate.

Edited by A&L_Ont

This article states it happened "in the current of the H2O Zone"--which seems like that would be the donut thing.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/01/04/child-who-nearly-drowned-on-oasis-of-the-seas-critical/

and this one states that the mother had alerted staff that the boy was missing, before he was seen in the pool (so, there you have it evilqueen, this mother WAS frantic and was getting help looking, according to newer articles--maybe you can lay off the vilifying now):

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-oasis-of-the-seas-child-emergency-folo-20150104-story.html

I've never been on Oasis, so maybe someone who has can clarify...does the doughnut pool get really crowded and/or is the water murky? It looks quite small in the photos people have posted, and it surprises me that an adult in the pool wouldn't notice a child underwater for such a long time, unless there were so many people in the pool or the water was so cloudy that you couldn't see very far.

NOT that I'm putting ANY blame on the people who were in the pool when the child was in there. Just wondering if people who have been on Oasis have more info on the pool and the area around it.

Edited by BeagleOne

The circular "wave pool" is a difficult place to watch any child. The water is 3 ft deep and it is an elevated pool with an obstruction in the center. It is impossible to sit in a spot and watch the entire pool. There are windows on the side but they only go down about half way, so somebody could be on the bottom and it would be difficult to see them. In addition a large part of the pool is blocked by the stairs and loading area.

The pool is open today but it does not appear that the moving water is operating.

Thank you for the additional info about the pool.

I've never been on Oasis, so maybe someone who has can clarify...does the doughnut pool get really crowded and/or is the water murky? It looks quite small in the photos people have posted, and it surprises me that an adult in the pool wouldn't notice a child underwater for such a long time, unless there were so many people in the pool or the water was so cloudy that you couldn't see very far.

NOT that I'm putting ANY blame on the people who were in the pool when the child was in there. Just wondering if people who have been on Oasis have more info on the pool and the area around it.

It is always circulating, so as and adult in it, I too am circulating. It is rather awkward or impossible to just stand still in it, unless you are at the enterance point. If there was an adult in it they could have always been at the opposite side of the donut as the submersed child. There is also a bit of a eddy water flow where you enter. One could be submersed there as well, but that is where people enter and exit.

It can get crowded. I have seen the kids pool when it has been double occupancy, so yone could guess the donut would get filled too. If we had to guess it mght get up to 20 or so maximum.

As per your question about water clarity, it is not as clear as the normal kids pool. When you are "bobbing" in the donut pool you are really lookng around the center of the donut. You aren't really looking down, you are watching the kids zipping past you as they are playing.

Edited by A&L_Ont

How sad that there is a small child in the hospital with his parents worried sick and probably full of guilt and there are people on this thread either passing judgment or touting how much better their own parenting skills are. This was a horrible accident and that is why they are called accidents, because you don't expect them to happen. I'm sure, as parents (myself included) if we are honest can think of times when we've done something involving a lack of judgment, that we can say "wow, I'll never do that again" and be thankful the outcome wasn't worse. When my daughter was 4, her father and I along with my parents went to Boston and visited the Children's Museum. 4 of us watching a 4 year old should have been easy... she wondered off. I was convinced she had been abducted. After several excruciating minutes, we finally found her viewing an exhibit.

I will continue to keep this child and his family in my prayers.

Absolutely agree!!! I don't know why so many people rush to judgement on parents who must be negligent and probably drunk any time something bad happens to a child on a cruise ship. I'm sure glad the guards at the Air and Space Museum in DC didn't accuse me of being drunk when my 8yo wandered off from our group of 9 people and I was freaking out looking for him. I guess I am not the perfect parent like so many others on this thread (think they) are. Yes, there negligent parents, but no one knows what happened. Add a possible language barrier to being in a new environment with tons of people around, a curious 4yo...

There but for the grace of God go I.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any update on this child?

I wondered, too, about an update. An Internet search showed nothing more recent than five days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would not expect to EVER see an update to the child's condition. The family had ask for privacy. One news outlet did not honor their request and published his name but other than that I think it will be silent from here on out.

I would not expect to EVER see an update to the child's condition. The family had ask for privacy. One news outlet did not honor their request and published his name but other than that I think it will be silent from here on out.

We'll get an update when the lawsuit is filed in Broward county.

I am saddened by the number of posters who are eager to rush to judgement.

My friend's daughter experienced a near drowning in the backyard in a play bucket; lost all vitals and was brought back to life. Adults were feet away.

Young children can drown in as little as 1 inch of water. That means drowning can happen where you'd least expect it - the sink, the toilet bowl, fountains, buckets, pet bowls, birdbaths, wading pools, or small bodies of standing water around your home, such as ditches filled with rainwater. (Source: KidsHealth/The Nemours Foundation, June 2004, Most Kids Who Drowned Were Supervised, Study Finds)

Of course the subject at hand is quite different.

I doubt most caretakers provide constant supervision in the situations cited above, but you never know, the number of perfect parents on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

Amen to this. I'm willing to bet that everyone here who is so quick to blame the parents either do not have young children, or else it's been so long since their kids were young that they've forgotten exactly how hard it can be to keep track of them every single second.

We just returned from an 8 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Independence. Our six and seven year old sons were with us. My kids have had private swim lessons since they were three, they are both currently on year-round swim team, and they are very competent swimmers. I still watch them like hawks in the water. But you know what, folks? Those pool areas are crazy. People everywhere. You only have to turn your back for a second to lose a kid who sees something shiny and decides to chase after it. And the H2O zone? You can't keep a child in your line of sight there, the way it's laid out. There are two hot tubs, a splash zone, that circular wave pool thing with a huge obstruction in the middle of it, and two more pools set towards the back. My whole experience with it involved constantly thinking "OMG, where are they? Wait, there's one, but where's the other one? There he is! But now, where's the first one? Now I can't see either of them!" It's insane. And the parents of this particular boy lost track of him at the Sail Away party. Surely you all know just how many people are crammed on the pool deck for that?

Disney had one near-drowning experience on the Fantasy. One. And you know what they did after that? They immediately hired lifeguards who circle that pool area and hone in on it like it's the only thing that matters, and they rotate a fresh one in every 30 or 40 minutes. And they provided life jackets in a variety of sizes, available to everyone to use, free of charge. Are there now parents on Disney who strap their kids in a life vest and let them bob around like corks in the Donald pool under the supervision of the lifeguard while they go have their third drink of the day? Undoubtedly, but those same parents would probably be doing the same thing, regardless. The important thing is that, to my knowledge, Disney has not had a similar incident since implementing these measures.

Shame on the parents? I say, shame on RCI. Apparently their bottom line is more important than the safety of their passengers. There will always be negligent parents, it's just an unfortunate fact. Just like it's an unfortunate fact that the most vigilant of parents will lose track of their kids at some point in time. But this a cruise line that markets itself to families, that actively solicits parents of younger kids with activities such as the H2O zone, and I think it's reprehensible that they not take every possible measure to ensure the safety of those young passengers. If even one child was saved from death or brain damage by the presence of a lifeguard, would it not be worth every penny?

I was on this cruise this past week, and had an unfortunate view to see a lot of what happened. We were in the Concierge Lounge on Deck 17 when the "Alpha Alpha Alpha" emergency call went out over the PA system directing the emergency personal to the Deck 15 pool area. Everyone got up in the Concierge Lounge to look out at the window, and what we saw will haunt us the rest of our lives.

Contrary to what has been posted on this site, the pool was not overly crowded, but it was already dark outside. This happened only about an hour after we left Port Everglades..6-6:15 pm.

For those of you who question the mother/parents, I can only say that I will pray for you.

I saw this poor woman crying hysterically holding her son's hands while they put him in the stretcher. Just an awful experience.

Please pray for this child.

Amen to this. I'm willing to bet that everyone here who is so quick to blame the parents either do not have young children, or else it's been so long since their kids were young that they've forgotten exactly how hard it can be to keep track of them every single second.

We just returned from an 8 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Independence. Our six and seven year old sons were with us. My kids have had private swim lessons since they were three, they are both currently on year-round swim team, and they are very competent swimmers. I still watch them like hawks in the water. But you know what, folks? Those pool areas are crazy. People everywhere. You only have to turn your back for a second to lose a kid who sees something shiny and decides to chase after it. And the H2O zone? You can't keep a child in your line of sight there, the way it's laid out. There are two hot tubs, a splash zone, that circular wave pool thing with a huge obstruction in the middle of it, and two more pools set towards the back. My whole experience with it involved constantly thinking "OMG, where are they? Wait, there's one, but where's the other one? There he is! But now, where's the first one? Now I can't see either of them!" It's insane. And the parents of this particular boy lost track of him at the Sail Away party. Surely you all know just how many people are crammed on the pool deck for that?

Disney had one near-drowning experience on the Fantasy. One. And you know what they did after that? They immediately hired lifeguards who circle that pool area and hone in on it like it's the only thing that matters, and they rotate a fresh one in every 30 or 40 minutes. And they provided life jackets in a variety of sizes, available to everyone to use, free of charge. Are there now parents on Disney who strap their kids in a life vest and let them bob around like corks in the Donald pool under the supervision of the lifeguard while they go have their third drink of the day? Undoubtedly, but those same parents would probably be doing the same thing, regardless. The important thing is that, to my knowledge, Disney has not had a similar incident since implementing these measures.

Shame on the parents? I say, shame on RCI. Apparently their bottom line is more important than the safety of their passengers. There will always be negligent parents, it's just an unfortunate fact. Just like it's an unfortunate fact that the most vigilant of parents will lose track of their kids at some point in time. But this a cruise line that markets itself to families, that actively solicits parents of younger kids with activities such as the H2O zone, and I think it's reprehensible that they not take every possible measure to ensure the safety of those young passengers. If even one child was saved from death or brain damage by the presence of a lifeguard, would it not be worth every penny?

I was on this cruise, the child was not swimming but wandered off when the mother turned around just for a few minutes. A lifeguard would not have made a bit of difference. Why is it that everything becomes RCI's fault and responsibility?

Besides, Royal did take precautions the rest of the week. The H2O zone closed and nets were placed on it at 6:00 pm.

I bet a good number of parents on these boards have had similar experiences.. one second your child is standing next to you.. the next they have wandered off. And for most of us, the ending was not tragic. It does not make you a bad parent.. it makes you human. Unless a parent is holding their child's hand 24/7 this same thing could happent to you. The family was not necessarily sitting at the water's edge, drinking a bucket of beer while ignoring their 4 year old. There are many other areas on Deck 15 they could have been. There are several cafes, the Dunes, the Sports court, and the Arcade. The first reports made it sound like no one was looking for him the 5-10 minutes he was lost, but in reality that is probably why they know he was missing (and now presumed under water) for that long as that is how long they were searching for him.

I know I am not alone is sending prayers to this family for a full recovery for their precious son.

You are correct. I heard aboard that they were searching for the child but did not think to look in the water as they were not close to it.

And I say the parents were almost certainly normal, careful parents who lost rack of a child for a brief moment, as happens to ALL parents, and sadly, in this case the result was tragedy, but that RCI is not negligent in not providing life guards either; I think it is reasonable to have unguarded pools and signs and expect people to care for themselves and their kids (as most hotels, etc do as well).

Sometimes tragedy happens and there is no need to find someone to blame.

That said, years ago, we noticed on DCL that, while at the time they did not have life guards, they would close off the pools and station staff (non life guards, just regular staff) watching to be sure no one went in under the nets, during sail away and big deck parties. I always thought that was smart, since kids CAN get away so quickly, are drawn to water and would be hard to find and spot quickly during those major times of heavy crowds on deck.

Edited by NHDisneylover

We'll get an update when the lawsuit is filed in Broward county.

Or, you know, the family may not be like that at all and really only care about their son'S condition and not chasing after the line for money. Maybe that is one reason they want keep out of the press---so idiot lawyers don't find them and pressure them to sue.

I was on this cruise, the child was not swimming but wandered off when the mother turned around just for a few minutes. A lifeguard would not have made a bit of difference. Why is it that everything becomes RCI's fault and responsibility?

Besides, Royal did take precautions the rest of the week. The H2O zone closed and nets were placed on it at 6:00 pm.

I'd say RCL did too little,too late. And just because you were there, how do you know a lifeguard would not have made a difference? No one can.

How is closing the area during certain times taking precautions? The object is to keep people safe during the times when it is open.

But some people seem to be suggesting that NONE of it is RCI's fault or responsibility. I respectfully disagree. Maybe not legally, but morally. How many times does this have to happen before Royal Caribbean steps up and says, "Hey, maybe we can't prevent every accident of this nature from happening in the future, but we're going to do our absolute best from this point forward" instead of just sending out an email reiterating that "there are signs posted" (i.e. "not our problem")?