Transatlantic advice

mugwood

Did you book directly with Celebrity? We use a travel agent and they have always said Choice Air could not be booked in the UK. We would certainly try it if we could.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was directly with celebrity twice and also with RCI. On the side, I do recommend using a US TA, you will always get a better deal with rates, OBC and change flexibility. Until such time that all of us living in the UK realize that you have a choice with whom you book and that for some reason we are continually shafted with increased rates, this practice will continue. When I moved to the UK a couple of years ago I was stunned as to the the difference in cruise fares. PLEASE shop around. Try not to feel "more secure" by booking locally. I have no affiliations in any way with a TA, I just have experience in having done 69 cruises.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Being in the backwoods (Scotland), does cause havoc when trying to organise flights. The only place we seem to go directly is to London really.

I believe you can arrange cheaper direct flights from Dublin to Fort Lauderdale, so if you can get to Dublin from Prestwich----?

You will complete US immigration before you leave Ireland.

I have never done it but, I antold it's better than going through Heathrow.

Yesterday, by mistake, I clicked on a US TA, I was envious of the pricing.

However, it wouldn't take a UK booking.

I think I know which website you mean but don't be put off. There are other agencies who certainly will help you. The only downside is that you are at the mercy of the fluctuations in the exchange rates. The £ is not performing too well at the moment against the US$. However the savings that can be made will often outweigh any additional costs due to the currency lucky dip. One way to handle this is to make stage payments when the rate is in our favour but you have to be prepared to keep a close eye on the markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you sure you have used Choice Air, or just booked the Celebrity package which includes Air/ transportation and a day hotel if necessary.

Flights are usually BA, which does give extra luggage allowance.

I always look at the BA flight cost first and am always pleasantly surprised when the cost through Celebrity is about half.

I have never booked a package., though I do compare all options.

I believe you can arrange cheaper direct flights from Dublin to Fort Lauderdale, so if you can get to Dublin from Prestwich----?

You will complete US immigration before you leave Ireland.

I have never done it but, I antold it's better than going through Heathrow.

Don't mention Heathrow, we went through there in June when travelling to Alberta. Would have been nice if they let our luggage travel with us mind you.

Six days later before we got our luggage.

Will look at Dublin and Icelandair.

Just to re-iterate what others have posted, you can book Choiceair from the UK, you can not however use a UK travel agent to do this.

We have taken a number of TA's, WB and EB, some as Celebrity packages from the UK, some cruise only with UK Travel agents, but more recently using US Travel Agents (we have used at least 3 different agents) and booking the flights separately with Choiceair, or sometimes with a well known standard travel booking website. Whilst I have not flown with Norwegian air, I have certainly looked at their one way fares between Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. If the flight does not go direct on the day required, there may be flights to Oslo or Copenhagen, where you can then connect into the UK without too much hassle.

As already mentioned, keep an eye on the exchange rates, not too good at present for us Sterling people paying in USD.

Don't mention Heathrow, we went through there in June when travelling to Alberta. Would have been nice if they let our luggage travel with us mind you.

Six days later before we got our luggage.

Will look at Dublin and Icelandair.

I definitely recommend flying Aer Lingus from Dublin (or Shannon if the timetable from Scotland suits you) to the U.S. Firstly you've got a much smaller airport than Heathrow to negotiate, no need to travel between terminals and much less stress overall. More importantly, the ability to pre-clear US customs and immigration is fantastic. This means you avoid the queues in the US and that your flight is considered a domestic arrival at JFK, Boston, Chicago etc. As a result your onward flight to Florida will most likely depart from a gate very close to the one your flight from Ireland arrived at so again, no need to travel between terminals.

Aer Lingus usually offer reasonable one way fares and even better multi city fares if you fly out to the US and then back home from the disembarkation port in Europe. In my recent experience the US carriers that fly from Ireland don't offer competitive one way fares.

Are Lingus is good, we have used them for TA. We have also (if it works the right way) booked a RT and tossed one leg of the trip -- again has to be going in the right direction for you to toss one leg of the RT ticket..

As a fellow Scot, i'd recommend Iceland Air. We are booked on the WBTA and are planning to drive to Orlando, spend 2 nights there before flying back. Iceland air fly from MCO - Reykjavik - Glasgow. Very reasonable rates for a 1 way flight.

As a fellow Scot, i'd recommend Iceland Air. We are booked on the WBTA and are planning to drive to Orlando, spend 2 nights there before flying back. Iceland air fly from MCO - Reykjavik - Glasgow. Very reasonable rates for a 1 way flight.

Thanks, yeah checked the Dublin and Reykjavik options and both are around £600 dependent on dates. Iceland seems less trouble plus you can stop over at no extra cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, my wife is keen on a transatlantic from Miami to Southampton in the spring.

Me, I am not so sure, feel I may get cabin fever.

Is there plenty of entertainment on TAs, or is it ramped down on the longer journeys.

Also, may not be the right place to ask, but has anyone managed to find a way to get round the extortionate air charges for one way trips necessary for TA trips? Thanks. In advance.

we just did a westward TA from Spain to Florida and after 2 weeks I still wanted to stay for more. Did not get cain fever. Lots to do from my point of view. Enjoy sea days -- can't get enough of them.

- Joel

We've done three spring TA's (all in April) and love them. The first time we wondered a little if so many sea days would be boring, and also about weather and sea conditions.

We've done them on Celebrity, RCI and NCL. All were great. NCL actually had the best entertainment, by far, but there seemed to be more to do on all three ships than on normal sea days in, say the Caribbean. I think they added more activities.

I will say, however, that the long string of sea days was so relaxing that we didn't actually do much during the day but get up later and later and enjoy really de-stressing.

Weather on all three started out warm and of course gradually got cooler. TA's seem to be very windy, partly because the ships are usually going faster. There were some days it really wasn't comfortable to be outside much, but most of the time we could use the balcony or Lido. Starboard side is best for afternoon sun on your balcony on an eastbound passage.

The seas were fairly calm on all three voyages, except for some major swells for a couple of days once. Not enough to make us seasick, but quite a rolling sensation at night, especially. Of course, weather and sea conditions cannot be guaranteed.

I'd love to do fall TA's, because of the 25 hour days, but due to our business schedule it just doesn't work out. Even spring is iffy for now, as we have a track star granddaughter whose meets we hate to miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Mugwood, if it is the Eclipse transatlantic you are considering, I definitely recommend you take it!

I did the Eclipse TA last year and it was one of my favorite cruises ever. Both the ship and the route are wonderful. This year they've added Lisbon, Bilbao and Le Havre which are added bonuses. I'd do the Eclipse again in a heartbeat if only my schedule allowed but alas, the Silhouette dates work better for me and I'm looking forward to a wonderful crossing on her as well.

And last but not least...

...as for arriving in England WITHOUT jet lag for the very first time...PRICELESS!! :D;)