Transatlantic advice

mugwood

Hi, my wife is keen on a transatlantic from Miami to Southampton in the spring.

Me, I am not so sure, feel I may get cabin fever.

Is there plenty of entertainment on TAs, or is it ramped down on the longer journeys.

Also, may not be the right place to ask, but has anyone managed to find a way to get round the extortionate air charges for one way trips necessary for TA trips? Thanks. In advance.

There's always something up. I've done this itinerary last 2 years, and enjoy it immensely. A big sense of community and camaraderie build during the sea days as everyone sees everyone over and over.

Some activities are such that they take multiple days, and have practices, like amazing race, or show choir, or passenger talent show etc. They also change activities based on passenger feedback a lot.

Also join your roll call, no doubt there will again be a cabin crawl, poker run, slot pull and other such coordinated activities by roll call members.

This year it's 3 days longer, and several more ports to visit.

I usually use air miles for this trip, if you have to fly to Miami then home from UK, your airfare would be an "open jaw" as the flight path looks like " < " (Scotland-MIA...sea...Heathrow-Scotland) if you book it round trip and typically airlines allow it without such high premiums. Also look to book via Choice Air I've read as they get reasonable 1 ways - but I have no experience myself.

Edited by cle-guy

We've done three TAs on Celebrity, one eastbound and two westbound. There's plenty to do, including guest speakers and the usual daytime assortment of trivia games and that sort of thing (although recently X has cut down on the activities staff), plus the typical night time shows. My favorite thing on sea days is to do nothing -- just watch the water and relax. All those sea days in a row are not for everyone, but my spouse and I just love them. We are booked on our fourth TA for next fall, a pure crossing -- no ports, just a week at sea. :)

I will say that going westbound and having a bunch of 25 hour days to us is preferable to eastbound and losing an hour night after night for a bunch of nights. It doesn't sound like much, but we had late seating and we found those time changes tiresome by the time we got to the Azores after leaving Florida. Not everyone does, and I'm not saying you will. If you go eastbound, I'd advise not being overly scheduled.

As for one-way air, yes, it's quite expensive if you buy a one-way ticket from a major carrier. If you are fortunate enough to have enough frequent flyer miles, using them for one-way travel is an option. Also, I believe there are some airlines (Iceland Air may be one) that don't have crazy one-way fares. And from what folks have written on here, Choice Air is another option.

Book a TA with your wife and have a great time!

Hi, my wife is keen on a transatlantic from Miami to Southampton in the spring.

Me, I am not so sure, feel I may get cabin fever.

Is there plenty of entertainment on TAs, or is it ramped down on the longer journeys.

Also, may not be the right place to ask, but has anyone managed to find a way to get round the extortionate air charges for one way trips necessary for TA trips? Thanks. In advance.

Try Choice Air for reasonable one-way air prices.

As for the transatlantic, there is no way of knowing whether or not someone else will enjoy them as it is such an individual thing.

Some of us love the sea days, but others find even two or three sea days in a row to be too long.

They do offer onboard activities, but whether or not they appeal to you is another matter. If in doubt, it is a good idea to bring along your own entertainment -- books, games, movies, whatever.

Some who love the transatlantic cruises book both spring and fall crossings and buy round trip air tickets to use one way for each.

TA's are great. We have found so much to do that often we have had to make a choice between two things that are scheduled at the same time.

If you do not have airline points, your best bet might be to use Choice Air. Or, book an eastbound and a westbound (yes, love the 25 hour days) and buy a return air ticket. Use one half of it for each cruise.

we were in the same position last year but eventually did a westbound from Rome to Miami as we have sailed out/into Southampton a couple of times and feel the weather hasn't been great on the first and last couple of days so leaving westbound was warm and continued to be warm. I think the transatlantics are great value visiting a few ports and getting to or allowing you to come back from the US.

No way to predict the weather [just look at the last infinity sailing from the UK in October which had rough weather]

As people have already mentioned plenty to do if you want or for us we just enjoy lazing at the pool and catch up with some books.

Excellent info and advice from both "cle-guy" and "Turtles06" above. ;)

The best deal right now is the 13 night transatlantic to Rome in April on Constellation at $699pp. Online sites are offering $100 OBC and the shareholder benefit is worth another $200 OBC. :)

Living in Scotland, I don't know if you have access to Choice Air, but their one way flights are quite often HALF of what you can book through the airlines. My flight to London from the states was only $394pp. At least check it out. :cool:

I have done 6 transatlantics in the last 4 years, and they are the best bang for the buck vacation deal anywhere. The "relaxation factor" of multiple sea days is one of the main things I am interested in! :D

The roll calls associated with T/As are quite often a lot more involved and fun! Enjoy!

Edited by teecee60

Choice air is the ONLY way to go, we fly out of San Francisco, and can always get a one way fare to/from Rome, Paris or London for $500 something. The trick is to book the short leg on your own, and just book the transatlantic part through choice air. Comparable fares booked directly through the airlines have always been in the $2500-$3000 range.

Dear Mugwood,

My DH's first cruise was a transatlantic. Needless to say, he did not know if he would like it or not and was nervous about the open seas. I had to promise him that he could get off at any port and fly home. We both thought the sea days would be boring, so we both brought work with us. My work was studying for a certification exam I was taking. We both got NO work done on the five sea days! We did enjoy ourselves though. I think you will have a great time.

I agree with the comments to use airline miles or Choice Air.

Choice Air is not available on the UK.

Icelandair is one of the most reasonable fares. We have flown with them and as long as you don't expect the same service as BA or Virgin you will be OK. We love TA's and have done several. We love cruising back to the UK and avoiding the overnight flight from the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used Choice Air for 2 different Westbound TAs. We booked the one-way to Europe for $380-$440 each. We booked the flights from the US airports to home by ourselves.

PS--the Westbound TAs have 6 25 hr days due to time change. We loved it!! Going east you lose time, which makes your days shorter.

Choice air is the ONLY way to go, we fly out of San Francisco, and can always get a one way fare to/from Rome, Paris or London for $500 something. The trick is to book the short leg on your own, and just book the transatlantic part through choice air. Comparable fares booked directly through the airlines have always been in the $2500-$3000 range.

Totally agree. Booked Choice Air today Portland Oregon to Barcelona. 1 stop 13 hours was $507/pp. When I got the confirm for the KLM flight I when to book seats, I looked at the fare for the exact same seats booked directly with KLM......$3425/pp.

I've taken 2 westbound transatlantics and loved them both. The first one was on Princess and the latest one was on Celebrity. We had tons of activities on Princess, but not very many on Celebrity. The one we did enjoy was watercolor art classes. They were held each sea day and all supplies were provided free. But my favorite activities were relaxing on the balcony, reading and cross stitch. It was a very relaxing vacation.

I recommend getting the largest cabin you can afford so you don't feel cramped on so many sea days. We always take Icelandair to Europe - especially for a one way ticket.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I am sure the OP will be grateful for all the advice but as I already stated Choice Air is NOT available here in the UK.

No, Choice Air is not available in the UK but booking flights through Celebrity is still often the best way. They usually offer a very good rate for transatlantics but book as early as possible. Pricing for flights is dynamic and, for one-way flights, only likely to increase.

I was on the Infinity transatlantic in October last year and booked the 'one way' from Fort Lauderdale airport to London Gatwick with 'NorwegianAir'. The company only did the route twice a week and the cost was from £179, I paid about £200 to include booked seats, 23kg suitcase, and food and drink. The service was brilliant on a brand new Dreamliner plane, I could not fault it in any way.

Currently they have cut back to once a week, but if it is within a day or two of your date it will probably be worth it with a couple of days in Miami before the cruise. Sadly they only do this route from LGW, so maybe not so good for you from your location, but certainly better than other exorbitant fares. Take a look at Norwegian.com. When I wanted to travel last year, the cost for a one way with BA was almost double the cost of their return!!! How the heck do they come up with something like that??

The transatlantic cruise crossing was relaxing and there was also plenty to do if needed. I think I may have struggled in an inside cabin, as there were so many sea days it was lovely to sit and read in my own space rather than looking for somewhere quiet. But everyone is different. Enjoy it.

We are on the April TA from Miami to Southampton this spring. It is also our 1st TA and one of the reasons we picked it is because the sea days are not all in a row. With the stop in Bermuda you get a nice break after two sea days and then 4 more after that and you're on the other side of the pond with several interesting ports to explore. We are excited about trying the TA and seeing if we enjoy it because if we do it opens up our options for the future. We are bringing some of our own entertainment for those times when the ship is particularly quiet, a Surface computer and many many movies/TV on external disc will get us through those times, although I don't really expect there to be that many of those moments!!!! If you are looking at the Eclipse TA this spring you should join our roll call which has over 250 on it already!!!!:)

I don't quite understand...I live in London and have used CHOICEAIR several times. FYI, norwegian air (albeit dubious rep) have one way flights to florida for £159. We used norwegian from New York to LHR very successfully this past nov.

Are you sure you have used Choice Air, or just booked the Celebrity package which includes Air/ transportation and a day hotel if necessary.

Flights are usually BA, which does give extra luggage allowance.

I always look at the BA flight cost first and am always pleasantly surprised when the cost through Celebrity is about half.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to post your replies

Short days home don't pose a problem, as it is much better than a 13 hour flight.

As some have recommended a return flight tying in with an Autumn (fall) TA, although it sounds excellent (and maybe a little decadent), I am committed to a Canada trip at that time.

The subject of choice air, I remember from a previous time on this board, I am under the impression that it isn't available to Uk passengers, happy to be corrected mind you.

celebrity are adding a figure sum (in GBP) when I do it through their site.

Being in the backwoods (Scotland), does cause havoc when trying to organise flights. The only place we seem to go directly is to London really.

I don't quite understand...I live in London and have used CHOICEAIR several times. FYI, norwegian air (albeit dubious rep) have one way flights to florida for £159. We used norwegian from New York to LHR very successfully this past nov.

Did you book directly with Celebrity? We use a travel agent and they have always said Choice Air could not be booked in the UK. We would certainly try it if we could.