GTY rate outcomes: post 'em here!

Alegeeter

I'm confused. We are in a BF category and have our room assigned and see it in My NCL. Will Norwegian change our room? From what I've been reading is when people book a GTY room, they do not have an actual room number assigned to their reservation...correct?

So, since we DO have a room number, we should be ok?

You are correct, a GTY means we allow NCL to pick our cabin for us. If you picked your own cabin at the time of booking, that is the cabin you will have, it will not change unless you want to change it for some reason and call them to do so.

That brings up a good point tho, as this is the first time I've ever booked GTY. After I get the assignment (on docs), can NCL still change it?

After Final Payment, if the price of a higher category cabin drops to the price you paid for yours, NCL is not required to upgrade you. But if you do monitor and see the price for your sailing drop, many call in and have gotten upgrades and/or OBC. (If they get a 'No', they try calling again and talking with someone else.) I did thus this for my son's Inside cabin, and went from the 3rd lowest Inside category (ID) to the highest. Some have jumped up considerably (for example Inside to a Balcony) in extreme price drop cases! Again, there's no guarantee you'll get offered anything if you call, but from what I read on here, it's certainly worth it to try.

If you are looking for detailed info on categories (more than what NCL's website describes), I've found the spreadsheet one CC'r made (for the Breakaway/Getaway) to be helpful.

Here's the link to the thread; the spreadsheet link is in the first post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843049

And I absolutely love cruisedeckplans website for info, pics, deck plans, etc. of any ship. Here's the link to one of the Getaway pages. Click on "category details" under each category for a description.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Getaway

Not sure if you'll get ads or not, or if you'll have access to all that the site offers, as I paid a few years back to be a lifetime member.

Hope this isn't TMI. :)

Thanks for all of the great info Dales wife!

Last night I paid $40 to upgrade from OK to BX for my cruise that's 4 days away (now 3) leaving 1/30/15 on the Gem. I was assigned a room in less than 12 hours. My BX became a B2 family balcony. It's a hull balcony but that still beats an obstructed view that may end up being a no view.

GEM

GTY- BX

ASSIGNED - B2

ROOM- 8032

We've booked a gty balcony for the Breakaway and got the free beverage package. If we got a spa balcony they couldn't take that away from us, right?

We will be sailing on the Getaway in March. Booked a BX and was assigned a forward balcony on deck 10, then last week prices dropped and for $30pp upgraded to a spa balcony and kept the beverage package from our original booking. We are now in 14746 with thermal spa access-great deal!

Leaving on the Gem this Friday. Had an inside cat IB booked. Noticed today there were Balconies available for $719.00 PP cat BX Was able to upgrade and was assigned a balcony cat B2 on deck 9 in a great location. Since I was originally booked with a dash sale our OBC doubled when we upgraded. Total cost of upgrade $59.00 PP to go from inside to balcony.

Woke up to 17" of snow and so ready for warmer weather !!

We booked an inside guarantee for the 12/22/14 sailing of the Norwegian pearl. Our booking was made at 8am on 12/21/14 (about 30 hours before sailing). By about 3pm on that day we were assigned cabin 11606 a Mini-Suite. We loved the extra space and the fabulous deal we got on an 11 night sailing over Christmas and New Years.

I have an ox booked for the end of march on the jewel. When I look a room number has already been assigned. Could it still change or once it's been assigned is it set?

Leaving on the Gem this Friday. Had an inside cat IB booked. Noticed today there were Balconies available for $719.00 PP cat BX Was able to upgrade and was assigned a balcony cat B2 on deck 9 in a great location. Since I was originally booked with a dash sale our OBC doubled when we upgraded. Total cost of upgrade $59.00 PP to go from inside to balcony.

Woke up to 17" of snow and so ready for warmer weather !!

I have the same question in regards to whether or not your room can change once it has been assigned?

Also, if you are able to upgrade close to your sailing date, do you lose any promotions you had such as OBC, UBP, etc (assuming they are no longer being offered)?

I have the same question in regards to whether or not your room can change once it has been assigned?

Also, if you are able to upgrade close to your sailing date, do you lose any promotions you had such as OBC, UBP, etc (assuming they are no longer being offered)?

Upgraded 3 days before the cruise. Was able to keep the original Dash sale with OBC. Actually OBC doubled when we went from inside to balcony. Even though we paid for a BX balcony guarantee the supervisor on the phone was able to grab a B2 family balcony in a great location. No guess work as to where we would be assigned. My PCC was on lunch and with so few cabins available at that low price a supervisor handled the booking.

Post your experiences with booking a Guarantee (GTY) rate. I've had generally positive experiences and am curious what other results us CCers have had. Perhaps this will help others decide if booking a GTY is right for them (though we know there is no rhyme or reason it is always good to know what outcomes have been).

Ship.........GTY type....Cat. Assigned.......Room assigned

Breakaway...IX...............IB................... .....5833

Initially we weren't thrilled with the assignment. Low floor, as far back as you could go, etc. But we ended up LOVING this room. We liked the extra space in the room, and how close we were to stairs/elevators (especially since the ship is so large). No complaints about movement or noise here!

We have never been one of those lucky ones who got a great cabin by using GTY. Once on HAL we did get a slightly better one. But we know going in it is a gamble and I have seen many get upgraded several catagories.

im just 9 days away from sail date and was moved from a forward to a midship and kept obc too.

We were on Breakaway last September and originally booked a Balcony guarantee, 3 weeks prior upgraded to a Mini-Suite guarantee and was immediately assigned a Mini-Suite Spa cabin I thought not to bad for a total of $80!

Jennifer

Booked large balcony GTY on pride of America in 2012 what we received was a regular balcony on the aft Starboard side right by the HVAC units, the entire length of the cruise we could hear a hum 24/7 was not happy but that's the chance you take to save a few bucks, will never go that route again

Booked 2 BX rooms on Epic. Got 2 BC rooms on deck 8. #8074 and #8086, just 5 doors apart from each other. Anybody know the status of if they are covered and if there are lifeboats directly at their balconies? From my research, I think 8074 is mostly covered but with a lifeboat, and 8086 if fully uncovered but without a lifeboat, although it looks like there may be some white box in front of the balcony floor which may obscure view looking down to sea....would love to hear if anyone can confirm/deny or has any input on these rooms.