Do you have to dress up?

My husbans and I leave February 7th on the Oasís Of The Seas and we don't think we will do any paying restaurants this time around, so we are wondering do we have to take any dress clothes, for him dress slacks and dress shirt, me dresses and high heels? Or can we just go casual nice jeans and dressy shirts and nice shirts? And for me nice Capris and dressy sandals? Thank you in advance.

Dress code is just a suggestion and is not enforced. You can wear whatever you like.

I wouldn't plan on going to the MDR on a formal night in jeans at capris. While they might let you in, I have heard of people being turned away. And even if they did let you in, you might feel a little underdressed. For the other nights, you would probably be OK, but I would think that, unless you didn't mind standing out, you might want to kick it up a notch or two from jeans and capris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't plan on going to the MDR on a formal night in jeans at capris. While they might let you in, I have heard of people being turned away. And even if they did let you in, you might feel a little underdressed. For the other nights, you would probably be OK, but I would think that, unless you didn't mind standing out, you might want to kick it up a notch or two from jeans and capris.

You will NEVER be turned away from MDR in jeans unless they are ripped up. Having your own opinion is fine, but please stick to giving people facts.

You could follow the lead from the table next to us one formal night. They were all wearing sweat suits. They weren't even nice enough to be called track suits...Guess they read the dress code and saw suits were recommended.

OMG!! Too funny. Thanks for sharing.

My husbans and I leave February 7th on the Oasís Of The Seas and we don't think we will do any paying restaurants this time around, so we are wondering do we have to take any dress clothes, for him dress slacks and dress shirt, me dresses and high heels? Or can we just go casual nice jeans and dressy shirts and nice shirts? And for me nice Capris and dressy sandals? Thank you in advance.

Yes you are 100% good to go. Enjoy your vacation

I'm so glad I asked this question because this we did not know. How many formal nights are there in the MDR?

I'm so glad I asked this question because this we did not know. How many formal nights are there in the MDR?

The person who told you that was not giving you FACTS. what you want to wear is completely fine and within guidelines. you will not be turned away. But to answer your question there are 2 formal nights and participation is optional

You will NEVER be turned away from MDR in jeans unless they are ripped up. Having your own opinion is fine, but please stick to giving people facts.

AS I SAID, I was reporting what others have said here. I was also cautioning the original questioner that she and her husband might feel out of place if they went to a formal night dressed as she described. If I had followed your advice I'd have been embarrassed, my wife would have been mortified and would have not stayed for dinner. Can she wear jeans or capris? It may be permitted. She should know that the vast majority of patrons will be dressed more nicely, especially on a formal night.

On casual evenings, I wear slacks and a nice blouse, have seen others come in levies, yet they were very nice and not torn or worn. If you choose to dress for formal, again I wear a nice pair of slacks usually black and nicer top. My DH wears a suit & tie, but have seen ladies in a nice cocktail dress. The dress attire as become more casual in recent years so really as long as you look nice no problem. You will be fine in capries and blouse. During one cruise, a man his wife and daughter appeared on a formal night in shorts. They were stopped but finally let in. I wouldn't have wanted to come in wearing shorts and seeing everyone dressed up.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

AS I SAID, I was reporting what others have said here. I was also cautioning the original questioner that she and her husband might feel out of place if they went to a formal night dressed as she described. If I had followed your advice I'd have been embarrassed, my wife would have been mortified and would have not stayed for dinner. Can she wear jeans or capris? It may be permitted. She should know that the vast majority of patrons will be dressed more nicely, especially on a formal night.

It IS permitted and that's all the answer necessary.

It IS permitted and that's all the answer necessary.

It was not the only answer that was necessary. The OP didn't know that there would be formal nights. Based on her response, I think she is glad that I and others provided her with a better picture of what to expect.

Your response could well have left her and her husband feeling out of place and embarrassed.

It was not the only answer that was necessary. The OP didn't know that there would be formal nights. Based on her response, I think she is glad that I and others provided her with a better picture of what to expect.

Your response could well have left her and her husband feeling out of place and embarrassed.

"Do we have to dress up"? No. There are two formal nights. Participation is optional. Jeans and Capri are fine all nights (unless ripped or torn) and no one will be turned away on any night dressed that way.

That is all completely objective truths.

Your opinions are your own to have but please don't suggest, hint at, or imply they may be turned away dressed in jeans and Capri pants, because that is wholly inaccurate.

My response should be viewed as factual and accurate and I don't believe any information I have provided them would lead them to feel embarrassed. I find that line of thought, frankly, a bit weird. Just give someone the correct answer and let them decide what to do with that knowledge.

Wear what ever you want. You will not feel out of place. I have dressed in jeans and normal t shirts on formal nights before and have never been turned away. Some people will judge but that's just some and it tends to be the older demographic. Its a new day and age.

Never mind....

This is a perfectly acceptable answer.

Where is the like button?

I wouldn't plan on going to the MDR on a formal night in jeans at capris. While they might let you in, have heard of people being turned away. And even if they did let you in, you might feel a little underdressed. For the other nights, you would probably be OK, but I would think that, unless you didn't mind standing out, you might want to kick it up a notch or two from jeans and capris.

You can dress casual as long as no shorts or flip flops (no beach wear). Many people will. Don't schlep clothes you don't want to wear because some random guy on the internet said so! You'll see many, many, many people in neat and clean resort casual wear.

There will be 2 Formal Nights. Every other night is casual (no shorts for men). The Royal Caribbean website lists the "suggested dress." Go on the website and "search" "Dress Code." Look at the answer to the FAQ section as the "What to Pack" section is outdated.

You will not be turned away. Many will dress up on Formal Night including formals and tuxes. Others will wear suits or sports coats and ties. Others will just "blow it off." I've seen t-shirts and jeans as well as Formal Kilts. So if you enjoy an elegant evening, dress up. If not interested, don't. I, personally, follow the suggested dress code every night. I don't wear jeans on a Caribbean cruise because I just don't. My choice.

I would feel uncomfortable showing up underdressed for an event, but that's just me. So, you are aware that many do dress up for Formal Night and others do not. You can choose what makes you most comfortable.

Enjoy your cruise.

We don't bring formal attire or even dressy attire anymore. We generally subscribe to the "wear what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home" type of casual clothes. There is a big difference in adherence to "formal" in 2015 compared with ten or fifteen years ago. Demographics and styles change.

On a recent longer cruise we let the others at our dining table know that we would not be joining them for the upcoming formal night. We planned to eat at the Oceanview Café. They had all brought formal wear (gowns and tuxes.) The entire table decided to forego the formal in favor of casual. No apologies or controversy. All of us had a great time.

On two other cruises we were cruising with family - three generations. We agreed before the cruise - no formal wear, no special shopping expeditions to purchase clothing that would be worn only one or two times. I think all the guys wore polos or button shirts, women in casual dresses or capris and cute tops. The family photos looked great - like we were having a wonderful cruise together!

We live in the pacific northwest and usually need to fly if we are to cruise. Departure ports are few in our region. Packing light is our travel style. It works for us.