Interesting article about value- adds

frankc98376

Good article about value-adds versus price reductions. Seems the lines are figuring out people are willing to pay more to get more. HAL is quoted in the article.

Seems the beverage packages are becoming the common denominator is many of the packages. Appears most have set the max per drink at $10 instead of $7 on HAL- allows a much better selection of wines. Personally, we liked the Explore 4 program- we are watching for it to return.

http://www.openjaw.com/stories/story.php?id=4563/retailers-say-value-adds-beat-price-reductions

Good article about value-adds versus price reductions. Seems the lines are figuring out people are willing to pay more to get more. HAL is quoted in the article.

Seems the beverage packages are becoming the common denominator is many of the packages. Appears most have set the max per drink at $10 instead of $7 on HAL- allows a much better selection of wines. Personally, we liked the Explore 4 program- we are watching for it to return.

http://www.openjaw.com/stories/story.php?id=4563/retailers-say-value-adds-beat-price-reductions

thanks for the link. Guess I am in the minority. The $7 limit has no interest for us. We had the explore4 programme and dropped it in favour of a price reduction.

Say what you will, but with the limit at $7, the value is miniscule if you are a wine drinker. JMO though.

Thanks for the link. It's interesting how we like all these drink packages but they tend to raise the price of the cruise when they are included, such as the Explore 4. We tend to think we are getting a bargin when we are not.

I agree.

I see Explore 4 as a psychological marketing scheme aimed at newbies or those who can't multiply too well.

It is great only for those who truly drink a lot (booze or whatever), consistently, every day of the cruise.

That is an interesting article.

The switch from pax talking about "price" to "value": If it works this way, the cruise lines have a great thing going. Up the price and everyone thinks that is value because they get something "free". Sheeeesh!

And NCL has a drink package for balconies and up, and they put the price up $200.00 overnight. Sure, if it works, why not. Don't you LOVE marketing --- fascinating!!

Caveat emptor!

I agree.

I see Explore 4 as a psychological marketing scheme aimed at newbies or those who can't multiply too well.

It is great only for those who truly drink a lot (booze or whatever), consistently, every day of the cruise.

Or perhaps there are plenty of who know what we want and are quite capable of doing the math. Our small group was booked on an Alaska cruise this past summer which initially had the Explore 4 package. When the package went away, the price dropped but not enough to make us want to rebook under the new rate. But subsequently, the price dropped again and we decided the value was not there so we rebooked at the lower rate.

I may be a relative newbie, but I quite capable of making an informed decision when it comes to their "psychological marketing scheme", and I suspect there are plenty of others out there who can do so as well.

Or perhaps there are plenty of who know what we want and are quite capable of doing the math. Our small group was booked on an Alaska cruise this past summer which initially had the Explore 4 package. When the package went away, the price dropped but not enough to make us want to rebook under the new rate. But subsequently, the price dropped again and we decided the value was not there so we rebooked at the lower rate.

I may be a relative newbie, but I quite capable of making an informed decision when it comes to their "psychological marketing scheme", and I suspect there are plenty of others out there who can do so as well.

To me there are lots of people that see that drink package as a cool deal when Hal offers it as a free perk but they do not realize that they are paying for it in the price increase of the cabin.

Edited by PathfinderEss

To me there are lots of people that see that drink package as a cool deal when Hal offers it as a free perk but they do not realize that they are paying for it in the price increase of the cabin.

I certainly agree that it isn't free...generally...and you have to watch the prices when the Explore 4 expires and then decide. I say generally because I am booked on a Celebrity cruise in May with a drinks package. That cabin price has gone up 25% since we booked it.

I wish HAL would raise the max price per drink to $10. At $7, the package is worthless to me. The wine I enjoy in lounges by the glass costs a little over that amount so I can't use the drink package.

That is an interesting article.

The switch from pax talking about "price" to "value": If it works this way, the cruise lines have a great thing going. Up the price and everyone thinks that is value because they get something "free". Sheeeesh!

And NCL has a drink package for balconies and up, and they put the price up $200.00 overnight. Sure, if it works, why not. Don't you LOVE marketing --- fascinating!!

Caveat emptor!

I get what you are saying but don't necessarily agree with all of your comments. In any case, cruise lines are in business to make money. Many cruisers are so reluctant to pay a reasonable price for their cabins, if the cruise lines can make more money on beverages, good for them.

Edited by sail7seas

We are booked on a Med cruise in Sept. we booked when the Explore4 was offered. It isn't now but I have been watching and the price for our cruise hasn't changed at all so, for now, I'm happy with the extra perks

So far, so good!!

September is a long way off. Watch the pricing: it may come down! No use paying more than the "perk" is worth!!

I certainly agree that it isn't free...generally...and you have to watch the prices when the Explore 4 expires and then decide. I say generally because I am booked on a Celebrity cruise in May with a drinks package. That cabin price has gone up 25% since we booked it.

Well Celebrity booking policies are different then Hal's. Nice to know your cabin price has gone up since you booked it. Hal prices always stay the same until about 4 weeks before the cruise and then they start discounting. If we book a year in advance and someone else books 4 months out they will be paying the same price as us. Advance booking does not help Hal passengers as it does with other cruise lines.

Thank you for the link.

I would rather pay a lower price for my cabin.

I'd rather pay a lower price too. I noticed in the article that they mention that the cruise lines increase the price of the cruise to make up for the "value-add." That isn't value IMO. It is simply a way of getting more passengers to purchase the drink package.

So far, so good!!

September is a long way off. Watch the pricing: it may come down! No use paying more than the "perk" is worth!!

My upcoming March 7, 2015 cruise is still listed at the price I paid BUT I have the Explore4 package. Well, I actually am cheaper! I have an SC suite on Rotterdam ( only one of two there ) for 2099.00. Now a suite on Rotterdam is around $2349.00 or more. I thought I paid more but I called to see about an upsell to an SA both HAL and myself realized I would be nuts to do so. Just because I am lazy it wasn't work hundreds of dollars to save steps walking to the Neptune Lounge.

In my case ( a couple of weeks after final payment ) I did well.

Drink Package plus $300.00 OBC plus an extra $200.00 OBC HAL let me tack on during the National Cruise Week promo.

After final payment I do check prices even though I know they will drop like crazy in the weeks to come. I know I wont qualify for the price drops but I do it out of some sick fascination. So far, so good. I made out like a bandit.

We are booked on a Med cruise in Sept. we booked when the Explore4 was offered. It isn't now but I have been watching and the price for our cruise hasn't changed at all so, for now, I'm happy with the extra perks

Same for our December cruise - although there are still many months to go.

... this thread reminds me of the old adage attributed (incorrectly) to P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute". (For anyone who's interested in the history of this quote, Wikpedia says it "is a phrase most likely spoken by David Hannum, in criticism of both P.T Barnum, an American showman of the mid 1800s, and his customers.") At any rate, a cost-benefit analysis will disclose whether or not an offer has "value-add" ...

Rod