Making reservations for Restaurant 2?

cruiseej

We certainly weren't pressured into buying anything when we dined in R2 over the festive period on Sojourn. In fact if anything our ordering a cheeky bottle of Burgundian grape juice seemed to catch them off guard. Ok so we have a little note that follows us around letting staff know we're the token red necks - is it too much to hope for Squirrel on the menu one of these days :)

At no point have I ever felt an undercurrent to persuade me away from inclusive offerings which are liberally served throughout the ship.

Henry :)

We certainly weren't pressured into buying anything when we dined in R2 over the festive period on Sojourn. In fact if anything our ordering a cheeky bottle of Burgundian grape juice seemed to catch them off guard. Ok so we have a little note that follows us around letting staff know we're the token red necks - is it too much to hope for Squirrel on the menu one of these days :)

At no point have I ever felt an undercurrent to persuade me away from inclusive offerings which are liberally served throughout the ship.

Ask the chef if he can whip up a batch of either squirrel or raccoon Burgoo and be sure to get a picture of his reaction.;)

As for the list, I tend to agree with you about the choice and quality. I also believe that fine wines don't enjoy being at sea. Vibrations aren't good for wine. When we choose the more expensive whites on the list they do seem to have suffered. Reds seem to suffer a little less than whites. Champagne seems to be an exception and maintains its quality.

My husband works in the wine industry, and used to work for a major champagne house, so he does have more knowledge than most of the rest of us, but he can't fully explain why champagne seems to do better at sea than eg a Batard-Montrachet apart from attributing it to the pressure in the bottle.

I am guessing but I suspect that culprit here is heat - still wines don't like heat, vibration, or light. Heat can cook a wine very quickly. It can also push the argonne (inert gas the keeps the wine from oxidizing) out around the cork. Look for a slightly elevated capsul and cork whe the server bring the wine to you table. When the wine cools the argonne is replaced with oxygen and oxidation begins. Heat damage probably happened some place along the shipping path from producer to the ship rather than on the ship. Virbration damage takes a longer time to become apparent and usually impacts older wine. As for champagne, the muselet (wire cage) keeps the cork in place and there is less change for damage but extreme heat still could impact the wine.

As a newbie to Seabourn our first cruise in August, I take it you cannot pre book online any restaurant reservations? If you can I could not see it on the Seabourn web site, thank you for any replies.

As a newbie to Seabourn our first cruise in August, I take it you cannot pre book online any restaurant reservations? If you can I could not see it on the Seabourn web site, thank you for any replies.

The only food venue for which one needs a reservation is for R2, and you can make that on-board at Seabourn Square. The staff at the Square are exceptional and can take care of it all. Or you can make the reservation by phone or in person at R2. No problem obtaining the reservation except on the night when they have the lobster and steak combo which fills the place. No worries. The relaxed resto reservation/non-reservation process on Seabourn is one of Seabourn's great attractions, as opposed to other lines.

I suspect you will find Seabourn very different to anything else you have experienced thus far. I know we did.

There is no pushing & shoving or queuing up. Occasionally you might find yourself in a massive queue of 3 for a coffee at the square but the chances are you will know at least one of the other people and have a chat with them.

Whilst everyone else tries to manage over booking by getting you to reserve Seabourn simply ensure the ship isn't over crowded. A case in point is the muster drill when every guest assembles in the dining room and has a table place to sit at.

Similarly there is no jostling for position in the Colonnade buffet restaurant. That first morning where you prepare yourself to do battle as per other cruise lines, they greet you by name and ask if you'd like to sit inside or out this morning :)

Fear not and enjoy being looked after.

I find having to make restaurant reservations three months in advance as one has to on Crystal and Regent takes away from the luxury experience. I do not want to have to decide that far before what I will want to eat, or with whom or at what time. That is one of the best features of Seabourn imo.

I find having to make restaurant reservations three months in advance as one has to on Crystal and Regent takes away from the luxury experience. I do not want to have to decide that far before what I will want to eat, or with whom or at what time. That is one of the best features of Seabourn imo.

Exactly Henry,

I tried to train myself to want a tournedos Rossini on August 12th 2012 at 20.00 in the main dining room on the Crystal Serenity three months in advance but when the day came I wanted Dover sole at 20.30 and wished that I was back on a Seabourn ship.

I have never returned to Crystal.

• 2 weeks later...
I am on the March 2 Legend cruise and have never sailed on Seabourn before.

What is the reason I would want to eat in R2 versus the normal restaurant?

R2 has a totally different menu than one finds in the MDR. The small plates theme might be to your taste. The atmosphere in R2 is quieter, less people, not a busy. You might like the color scheme in R2, very different than the MDR. And there is no charge in R2, so why not? It's part of the Seabourn experience.

Don't remind me. I'm currently having 'fun' with Crystals dining by reservation and specialty restaurant reservation system.

Ha - we were 95% ready to book our first Crystal cruise this summer because they have an itinerary we liked. Then I spent an evening reading the boards and thought, no way is the dinner reservation system that stupid. Then I eventually realised that it was that stupid. Either you dine at the same time every day at the same table with the same people, and most likely you do it at 8pm because the early seating is already full; or you log in now, months ahead of your cruise, and try to guess what time you'd like to eat dinner every night of the cruise and how many people may be in your party and then try to find a slot around that time. Since at this point you know nobody on the ship, and everyone else has also had to book their dining in advance, it seemed it might be hard to find people to make up a party.

That put the kibosh on Crystal.

Ha - we were 95% ready to book our first Crystal cruise this summer because they have an itinerary we liked. Then I spent an evening reading the boards and thought, no way is the dinner reservation system that stupid. Then I eventually realised that it was that stupid. Either you dine at the same time every day at the same table with the same people, and most likely you do it at 8pm because the early seating is already full; or you log in now, months ahead of your cruise, and try to guess what time you'd like to eat dinner every night of the cruise and how many people may be in your party and then try to find a slot around that time. Since at this point you know nobody on the ship, and everyone else has also had to book their dining in advance, it seemed it might be hard to find people to make up a party.

Very wise.

Wait until Crystal announce a new ship,then they will probably solve the dining dilemma.

We just completed a cruise on the RCL Quantum where they are launching a new dining reservation scheme, much like the Crystal approach. They call it "Dynamic Dining". It has not gone well. While the concept has some merit, the fact that it requires to you to plan every night in advance, combined with the implementation difficulties and the inability to make desired changes once you are onboard have generated many very negative reactions.

We found it required too much planning and was annoying to use. RCL has now amended this approach and are adding a "Classic" dining option on their newest ship.

We are choosing to wait until the turmoil has subsided before trying one of this ships again.

It seems like taking a very simple process and making it complex and annoying.

This is exactly what keeps me away from Crystal. I don't want to eat at a set time with set people every night and I don't want to have to decide months in advance what time I'll eat on any particular night. I agree with MrL that their new ship will fix this problem but that makes the fleet inconsistent.

The Indian theme dinner is especially not to be missed if the Chef in the Veranda ( as was the case on our June Spirit cruise) is Indian. Also on the little ships the other very popular theme dinners in the Veranda are the Chop House and Surf And Turf nights.

We just completed a cruise on the RCL Quantum where they are launching a new dining reservation scheme, much like the Crystal approach. They call it "Dynamic Dining". It has not gone well. While the concept has some merit, the fact that it requires to you to plan every night in advance, combined with the implementation difficulties and the inability to make desired changes once you are onboard have generated many very negative reactions.

We found it required too much planning and was annoying to use. RCL has now amended this approach and are adding a "Classic" dining option on their newest ship.

We are choosing to wait until the turmoil has subsided before trying one of this ships again.

It seems like taking a very simple process and making it complex and annoying.

As diamond plus RC cruisers we ventured into the Seabourn family last year. Given the Carnival / Royal rivalry I was a little sceptical. The fact we took our second cruise with SB a few weeks ago obviously answers the question as to how we got on.

We, like you have been immersed in the whole Quantum build up and for the potential wow factor there is a potential draw. Maybe we have been spoiled for life by the freedom afforded by SB but I am amazed people are prepared to line up and give up any chance of spontaneity. It doesn't help of course that the booking system seems to have failed spectacularly with guests losing all their homework.

The over occupancy seems to mean there is no chance of catching up if things go wrong. One cancelled show and people lose out. Unless things mesh like clockwork the machine breaks.

It's a shame as Anthem sails out of the UK next year and we know the CD & his wife reasonably well, a great couple. Even with that, the C&A loyalty benefits and a suite I still wouldn't be confident to invest what is a significant sum these days.

RC have served us well but I think the end of the road has probably been reached. A shame.

Similarly Crystal, a cruise line suggested to us on account of Our daughter Emily has also been excluded from future plans for that same lack of spontaneity.

We have enjoyed some great spur of the moment dinners with newly found friends.

That is why Anthem is bringing back classic dining. The current system has been a spectacular failure.

The problem is it isn't just a case of booking your dinner reservations. You have to pre-book all your entertainment because the venues are so small relative to the number of guests on board. Of course meal times affect which shows you can attend so there is a link and that's where any failures in the system really get ugly.

In some entertainment areas seats may be set aside for suite / senior loyalty programme guests but I suspect not ship-wide.

In some ways I'd love to see all the new features but I would be so disappointed if sheer weight of guest numbers watered them down and I suspect that's what would happen. One option is a back to back cruise so any issues could be resolved in the second trip but you end up paying a lot of money. This Christmas / New Year was actually cheaper for us on SB than RC !

Anyway, I just thought I'd add my ten cents worth having come over from RC and they were mentioned :)

H.