Ordering Off-Menu Crown Grill

LynnMW3

Many of you will probably disagree with me but why are so many people being so picky and want food that is not on the menu. With 2800 passengers or more on the ship, can you imagine what it would be like if half of them asked for something extra for dinner. The poor crew works hard enough the way it is and lately more and more people want someone that is not on the menu and then a crew member has to go search for and spend extra time preparing it.

No disagreement from me either.

:D

Many of you will probably disagree with me but why are so many people being so picky and want food that is not on the menu. With 2800 passengers or more on the ship, can you imagine what it would be like if half of them asked for something extra for dinner. The poor crew works hard enough the way it is and lately more and more people want someone that is not on the menu and then a crew member has to go search for and spend extra time preparing it.

Sabitini's at breakfast is a little different.

I kind of agree. Health-related requests are one thing, and I can see making special requests in the MDR based on foods they have readily available, but I would be uncomfortable asking this. I wouldn't want to make extra work for multiple very hardworking people just because I prefer another fish over seabass.

Sabitini's at breakfast is a little different.

Ok so what you are saying is anyone with special needs should not try the specialty restaurants. I have always found that if at all possible the staff is more then willing to make your cruise enjoyable. They want you to come back. Just give them some time to prepare.

Ok so what you are saying is anyone with special needs should not try the specialty restaurants. I have always found that if at all possible the staff is more then willing to make your cruise enjoyable. They want you to come back. Just give them some time to prepare.

I don't really think that "we like fish better than shellfish, but we like other fish better than seabass" is a special need.

So, if the OP orders salmon (that will come from the MDR), something they can eat for 'free' in the MDR, they'll be charged $25?

:D

If he wants free salmon for dinner he can go to the MDR. The terms of the specialty restaurants are clear. If you want to eat there, you pay the fee. I don't think anyone would expect to drag a "free" lounger into the Sanctuary and not pay the fee. Then again, I guess nothing would surprise me these days.

I don't really think that "we like fish better than shellfish, but we like other fish better than seabass" is a special need.

Read the attachment again. Composer seems to have change it to more then the OP. There are always going to be exceptions to every rule.

I do have experience with this issue; I asked when we reserved if it would be possible to have a piece of finfish other than the sea bass as a fish course, and that it not be garnished or sauced with crustaceans. They were graciously accommodating and my fish was delicious.

Asking for a specific preparation or unlikely species is a (jerk) move, but simply making a request with sufficient time to accommodate it as part of prep hardly seems ridiculous.

I think doing it spontaneously in the middle of a busy service is worthy of being forced to walk the plank, however.

Edited by VibeGuy
Didn't mean to impugn Doug.

That's not the point. Making requests well in advance of dining for special needs is far different than requests due to preference.

To be blunt, its far different to say, no peanuts due to a nut allergy, as opposed to 'can you make me something special because I just can't seem to decide from what's on the menu" (and yes, I have seen that very comment made). The first is valid, the second, in MY opinion is a bit of a rude reach.

Likewise.:rolleyes:

Maybe I should go to the Crab Shack and order a filet.

Maybe....

There have been posts here like:

I want to try the crab shack, but my so is allergic to shell fish,

can they accompany me, and get something else?

I'm glad that special requests only have to be approved by

the head waiter/chef, and not some poll on cruise critic.

Wow, did this thread just jump all over the place. The OP never indicated they would not be willing to pay, just asked if they could get a different fish choice (no shellfish) and the answer is... yes, you can. A little advance notice would be lovely, say when you make the reservation, but they will accommodate you with a smile.

Wow, did this thread just jump all over the place. The OP never indicated they would not be willing to pay, just asked if they could get a different fish choice (no shellfish) and the answer is... yes, you can. A little advance notice would be lovely, say when you make the reservation, but they will accommodate you with a smile.

I don't think the OP will be accommodated... If she doesn't like the menu at the Crown Grill, why go? Especially since there are so many other options... that I really don't understand...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsqrl viewpost.gif

I would hope not. Logic would dictate going straight to the main galley cooler. But I guess if they want to start their search out by the pool, who can blame them. . .

Things are often in the last place you look...

Well... If one doesn't find it in the last place they look it seems to indicate they are still looking after finding the thing!

Thank you, TinaLee, for realizing that I wasn't looking for a free meal in the Crown Grill...I fully expect to pay the price, no matter what we eat...

I don't think the OP will be accommodated... If she doesn't like the menu at the Crown Grill, why go? Especially since there are so many other options... that I really don't understand...

The reason we want to go to the Crown Grill is that we will be cruising with friends who have cruised Princess many times, but have never eaten there, and we thought it would be a nice chance for all of us to try something new together...

I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to make anything out of the ordinary for us, or to expect it to be at no charge, and a piece of salmon from the MDR would be just fine...and I don't really see how this would be putting an undue burden on anyone...but apparently some people get their nose out of joint very easily on these boards! :mad:

The question of payment was raised in post 10.

Lew

Thank you, TinaLee, for realizing that I wasn't looking for a free meal in the Crown Grill...I fully expect to pay the price, no matter what we eat...

The reason we want to go to the Crown Grill is that we will be cruising with friends who have cruised Princess many times, but have never eaten there, and we thought it would be a nice chance for all of us to try something new together...

I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to make anything out of the ordinary for us, or to expect it to be at no charge, and a piece of salmon from the MDR would be just fine...and I don't really see how this would be putting an undue burden on anyone...but apparently some people get their nose out of joint very easily on these boards! :mad:

Thing is that you're asking the waiter/cook to go way out of the way and they are all overworked as it is. That's why you're getting snarky comments. Isn't there something else on the menu that you'd like? If not, go to Sabatini instead... this will be special as well and you'll have something you can eat without putting undue burdens on he staff. Odds are though that they probably won't accommodate you at the Crown Grill. To you, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but on a ship that feeds about 3,000 passengers, it's a big deal indeed.