Ordering Off-Menu Crown Grill

LynnMW3

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

I've looked at the menu for the Crown Grill for the seafood...does anyone know if you can order off-menu? The only actual fish that seems to be offered is Seabass...does anyone know if you you can order a different kind of fish, like salmon? We're not a fan of seabass, and would prefer fish to shellfish or mollusks (prawns or mussels)...

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to our first Crown Grill meal!

Edited by LynnMW3

I dont think they would run around the ship looking for a filet of salmon

I would hope not. Logic would dictate going straight to the main galley cooler. But I guess if they want to start their search out by the pool, who can blame them. . .

My guess is no also but I don't think anyone can give you an absolute answer. Best bet is to ask when you get on board. We get so many different answers and each ship seems to do things differently. They might be able to come up with something if given a 24 hour notice then again maybe not.

We have ordered the goat cheese soufflé from the main dining room in Crown Grill before and they always happily go get it for us. Can't imagine why ordering salmon would be any different, so long as you understand it won't have any special cooking presentation specific to that specialty restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's just say for instance that you are able to order off-menu in the Crown Grill, and you order a menu item served 'every day' in the MDR as your main course, something that is served 'free of charge' and will most likely come from the MDR stock of supplies, will the Crown Grill charge you the $25 fee? For something that would would not be paying for otherwise had you eaten in the MDR?

:D

Let's just say for instance that you are able to order off-menu in the Crown Grill, and you order a menu item served 'every day' in the MDR as your main course, something that is served 'free of charge' and will most likely come from the MDR stock of supplies, will the Crown Grill charge you the $25 fee? For something that would would not be paying for otherwise had you eaten in the MDR?

On Carnival, they will only charge you if you have an entree in the steakhouse; meaning you can have all the appetizers, soups, desserts, etc. you want. I would imagine in this situation on Princess, it would be at the discretion of the Maitre d'.

Edited by Pixelate

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

I've looked at the menu for the Crown Grill for the seafood...does anyone know if you can order off-menu? The only actual fish that seems to be offered is Seabass...does anyone know if you you can order a different kind of fish, like salmon? We're not a fan of seabass, and would prefer fish to shellfish or mollusks (prawns or mussels)...

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to our first Crown Grill meal!

No.

Have you considered Sabatini's?

Or Crab Shack?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It's not quite that simple. Ingredients are prepared for the specialty venues by a different staff and sent up to the restaurant for cooking. It would have to be pre-arranged so that someone would not have to make a special trip. Kitchen staff cannot just go in and take items, everything is cleared through the provisions master.

I would hope not. Logic would dictate going straight to the main galley cooler. But I guess if they want to start their search out by the pool, who can blame them. . .

On Carnival, they will only charge you if you have an entree in the steakhouse; meaning you can have all the appetizers, soups, desserts, etc. you want. I would imagine in this situation on Princess, it would be at the discretion of the Maitre d'.
On Princess, you make a reservation and are seated at a table, you're charged regardless of what or how much you order or eat. You're not charged only for the entree.

On Princess, you make a reservation and are seated at a table, you're charged regardless of what or how much you order or eat. You're not charged only for the entree.

So, if the OP orders salmon (that will come from the MDR), something they can eat for 'free' in the MDR, they'll be charged $25?

We dined twice at the Crown Grill on the Regal TA. On an evening when escargot was on the menu in the MDR I asked if it were at all possible to order it as an appetizer in the CG. Our waiter was only too happy to get it for me.

If the OP's request is for something that is available in the MDR that evening, if my experience is a guide, I'd say go for it! Your waitstaff wants you to be happy and will do anything within reason to see to it that you are.

Lew

So, if the OP orders salmon (that will come from the MDR), something they can eat for 'free' in the MDR, they'll be charged $25?

I would agree with Pam on this one and fully understand Princess' position. A diner at a specialty restaurant who orders his entrée from the MDR, still enjoys an appetizer, soup, salad, sides and dessert from the specialty menu in addition to a higher level of service.

If a diner is occupying an otherwise revenue generating seat at a table in a specialty restaurant, he should be charged regardless of what is ordered. If those ordering off the MDR menu were not charged, I'm certain this technique for enjoying specialty dining at no charge would quickly get out of control.

Lew

Looking forward to our first Crown Grill meal!

You need to look for the 'Chef de Cuisine'. He is in charge

of Sabatinni's, Crown Grill, and I.cafe on grand class ships.

On Ruby, he as a super-nice guy from Australia.

He personally prepared the most pretentious passenger lunch in Sabatini's,

and it was fantastic. It is very different when cooking for 40.

Ask him a few days in advance if it is possible.

I don't think if you ask when you are seated that it can

be accomadated.

Edited by pablo222

Hi All

On Ruby cruise ordered of menu a few days in advance, ordered would the wrong term as l asked is it possible to have, if it helps if chef makes enough for 8 people, a day later l got a note saying chef happy to accommodate request.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Many of you will probably disagree with me but why are so many people being so picky and want food that is not on the menu. With 2800 passengers or more on the ship, can you imagine what it would be like if half of them asked for something extra for dinner. The poor crew works hard enough the way it is and lately more and more people want someone that is not on the menu and then a crew member has to go search for and spend extra time preparing it.

Sabitini's at breakfast is a little different.

Let them know when you make your make your reservation. If it is available they will serve it to you. We have ordered off the menu in both sabatinni's and the crown with no problem. We always let them know before hand though. They will charge the service charge. I don't have problem with that as I'm taking up a table, getting the apps, desert, relaxing dinner, great service. To me its worth $25 not to eat in the main dinning room.

Many of you will probably disagree with me but why are so many people being so picky and want food that is not on the menu. With 2800 passengers or more on the ship, can you imagine what it would be like if half of them asked for something extra for dinner. The poor crew works hard enough the way it is and lately more and more people want someone that is not on the menu and then a crew member has to go search for and spend extra time preparing it.

Sabitini's at breakfast is a little different.

No disagreement from me.

Mike:)