pre cruise question Port Canaveral?

dee1321

I went to the cruise critic section on hotels in ports, however nothing is listed for Orlando/Port Canaveral.

If flying in the day before a cruise leaving from Port Canaveral, where should we stay? Orlando or somewhere close to the port? I have never cruised from Port Canaveral. When cruising from Port Miami we choose to stay close to the Port for a short taxi ride to the ship the next morning. It is just my husband and me. We will be arriving around noon the day before our ship departs.

All we need is a CLEAN place to sleep with walking distance to restaurant to eat at night. Just would like to know what most people do. We were not planning on renting a car just taking taxis or shuttle from Orlando airport to port. When returning we are planning on staying two nights in Orlando and going to Universal Studios.

Thank you.

I'd stay in the Cocoa Beach area. I would ask your question on the Florida Departures forum. There are many folks there who can help with hotels in Cocoa Beach within walking distance to restaurants:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

By the way, doing a one-way car rental would probably be the least expensive and most time efficient method of getting from the airport to the hotel. You would not be restricted to being within walking distance of a restaurant, and would also be able to easily shop at a drug store, grocery store, or wine store.

thanks for the information, I will check in to that.

There are many hotels in the Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area, so check out a 3rd party website to price compare, and then you'll have a good idea what you want. A lot of people choose the Radisson, it's reasonable and has a shuttle (you must sign up for it) to the pier. Many hotels also offer the shuttle.

We have used CBS shuttle, for transportation from MCO to/from the port, several times and found them to be reliable.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn at Cocoa Beach. When we booked, they provide free parking and a free shuttle to the ship. Don't know if policy has changed since we booked. Here's the contact info.

Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral

3425 N. Atlantic Ave., Cocoa Beach, Florida, 32931, USA TEL: +1-321-799-4099

What time do you arrive at MCO? We usually are coming from California and get in late. We have stayed several times at the Hyatt inside the terminal. Then catch the ship shuttle the next day.

We have also done the reverse from Disney and Universal when we have an early flight home. We have used the Disney Magic Express a few times, not sure what Universal has in the way of shuttles.

In January 2013, 2014 & 2015, DW had conferences at Coronado Springs. In 2013, we went early and did the Disney theme parks. We had an early flight home so spent the night at the Hyatt, taking Magic Express the afternoon before.

In 2014, we did the Carnival Dream after the conference. We used Magic Express to Disney and then a car service to the port and ship shuttle back to MCO. I think car service from Disney to port was about $120.

Last week, we went early and spent three nights at Universal Loew's Royal Pacific. We had a club floor room, which was fantastic. The hotel overall was outstanding. If you stay at an on site hotel you get free VIP Express pass to the attractions (except Harry Potter), that's a $90 value. You still need to buy an admission ticket, but with the VIP pass you cut to the head of the line. We never waited more than five minutes to get on a ride.

Being on the key card controlled club floor (#7) there is a private lounge where you can get breakfast, beer/wine, and snacks a few hours during the day. It's also open to just go sit and read, watch TV, or relax. I think we probably broke even on booking the club room with the free drinks and food. Mixed drinks were $5.

Make sure to have a "Clogger" at Krusty's in Springfield aka Simpson Land and a Duff Beer at Moe's. Eat after the Simpson's Ride.

We used Orlando Airport Town Car and they were excellent. Price MCO to Royal Pacific $75, Coronado Springs to MCO $80, and Royal Pacific to Coronado Springs $55 (no tips included). We used a taxi from hotel to hotel as I thought $55 was to much, it was not! Taxi was $50 so I should have just used car service for everything.

This year we used airlines resort check in at Coronado Springs, which was like luggage valet on the ships. Not sure if Universal hotels offer the same service, but it was pretty sweet.

What time do you arrive at MCO? We usually are coming from California and get in late. We have stayed several times at the Hyatt inside the terminal. Then catch the ship shuttle the next day.

Since you mentioned the Hyatt at MCO airport, what did you think of it? We have a day room booked there after our cruise, and I was wondering if you had anything special to recommend doing during the day. We will check in around 9:30 and check out about 4pm. Thanks. :)

I booked our hotel through goportcanaveral.com. They provide shuttle service from MCO to the hotel, from hotel to the port and from port back to MCO. We paid like $245 for two people, but we chose one of the expensive hotels on the beach. I know there are hotel packages less than $200. We didn't want to have to bother with renting a car, and I compared several shuttle and hotel prices and this was the best I could find.

We booked Comfort inn and suites as well. We have kids and they had a great room for all five of us and it was really reasonable. Good review on Trip Advisor as well. They also do a free shuttle to the peir.

On the car rental. WE are flying into Orlando

We are staying for a few days after the cruise to take the kids to Universal. I found that if we keep the car for the whole ten days its cheaper than for two days of dropping the car at the port. Three hundred for a full size with Budget.

Good luck.

I lived for 20 years in Orlando....

I wouldn't recommend staying at the airport if you arrive at noon! The Hyatt is nice BUT there are only a handful of shops etc. I'd pick something else if opting to stay in MCO. For instance, staying at one of the Universal Studios hotels like Portofino or Cabana Bay. They offer shuttle or boat transport to City Walk (a large variety of restaurants/shops/entertainment).

I lean more toward heading down to Cocoa Beach to hit the beach and a couple beach bars and eat seafood for dinner. Then get up early and watch the sunrise :-)

We are doing Freedom in March. Flying from Detroit to Orlando on Sat. I priced out all sorts of options and have decided to do Courtyard Cocoa Beach....their "Fly, Snooze, and Cruise" package. Transport from Orlando Airport to Hotel, From Hotel to Terminal, From Terminal back to Orlando Airport. We will be doing the Valet Luggage service with RCI. I hope I haven't made a mistake....any thoughts???

I lived for 20 years in Orlando....

I wouldn't recommend staying at the airport if you arrive at noon! The Hyatt is nice BUT there are only a handful of shops etc. I'd pick something else if opting to stay in MCO. For instance, staying at one of the Universal Studios hotels like Portofino or Cabana Bay. They offer shuttle or boat transport to City Walk (a large variety of restaurants/shops/entertainment).

I lean more toward heading down to Cocoa Beach to hit the beach and a couple beach bars and eat seafood for dinner. Then get up early and watch the sunrise :-)

I agree about heading to Cocoa Beach. While it might be pleasant to stay near Universal, they might be surprised by the amount of traffic in the morning in that area. I'd head away from the traffic, not into it.

I agree that pre-cruise it doesn't make sense to go further from the port. However, I believe OP is going to Universal after the cruise. I also agree if getting in by noon I wouldn't stay at the Hyatt MCO either as there isn't much to do there. If I was landing at 7:00 PM or later then I would stay there.

Sorry I missed the OP landing at noon. Nope, don't do the Hyatt you will get bored. Post cruise I would still stay at one of the Universal on site hotels and take advantage of the perks.

Last week our flight left on Friday at noon and we left the Coronado Springs at 9:00 AM. We didn't have anything to check or print out as we used the resort check in, but our friends did have to check in. We flew United, cleared security (TSA pre-check is a wonderful thing), and were having lunch at Ruby Tuesday by 10:15 AM.

We booked The Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach. It got really good views (at least that I saw)

Our cruise doesn't leave until 11/29, but we are arriving 11/28 and since that's Thanksgiving weekend, we wanted to make sure we got a room! :D

I went to the cruise critic section on hotels in ports, however nothing is listed for Orlando/Port Canaveral.

If flying in the day before a cruise leaving from Port Canaveral, where should we stay? Orlando or somewhere close to the port? I have never cruised from Port Canaveral. When cruising from Port Miami we choose to stay close to the Port for a short taxi ride to the ship the next morning. It is just my husband and me. We will be arriving around noon the day before our ship departs.

All we need is a CLEAN place to sleep with walking distance to restaurant to eat at night. Just would like to know what most people do. We were not planning on renting a car just taking taxis or shuttle from Orlando airport to port. When returning we are planning on staying two nights in Orlando and going to Universal Studios.

Thank you.

It is very easy to do a one way car rental from MCO and return in Cocoa Beach the next morning. Then be shuttled to the port.

Another option for you might be to stay at Radisson at the Port. They have a package that will transfer you from MCO to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port.

The hotel is adequate, clean and convenient. Look it up.

My vote too! For us a cruise out of PC just isn't the same without watching the ships leave the afternoon before you do and Fishlip's has wonderful food!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

We also like Grills Seafood and Tiki Bar, same area, if not right next to Fishlips. Good views of the ships sailing out. :)