Letter to Goldstein about RCCL refusing to discuss TA bookings

lewinr

The same thing happened to me on my Navigator cruise in Nov. TA promised me $150 OBC and prepaid gratuities. Nothing showed up the first day, so I emailed my TA before we set sail and she said she called them both in and that I should wait. The OBC showed up the next day, but not the pre paid gratuities. I emailed everyday and she kept calling RCCL and checking on it too and they kept telling her it would show up later. It never did show up. This put a damper on my cruise since I was expecting to spend a lot less.

When I got back, my TA said she would request RCCL issue me a refund. Still haven't seen it and it's been weeks. I know they are slow with refunds because they had repriced my cruise before final payment (website glithes, they said) and I had to wait for that refund too.

Do you all think I have a RCCL problem or a TA problem? I was ready to write it off, but my TA said no, I should keep fighting for it, so I don't think it's her.

As you said your TA promised you OBC and prepaid grats, I say you have a TA Problem. The TA promised you These things not RCI, so the TA is the one who Needs to fix it. Even if it was RCI ho screw up, why should it be up to you to fight for it?:confused: Your TA should give you the Money they promised you and they should be the ones fighting with RCI about getting their Money back.

BTW, OBC with RCI most of the time takes a day into the cruise until it Shows up. I´ve never had it Show up on the first day. So I don´t even inquire about it until the third day.

Edited by Paulxyz2004

The same thing happened to me on my Navigator cruise in Nov. TA promised me $150 OBC and prepaid gratuities. Nothing showed up the first day, so I emailed my TA before we set sail and she said she called them both in and that I should wait. The OBC showed up the next day, but not the pre paid gratuities. I emailed everyday and she kept calling RCCL and checking on it too and they kept telling her it would show up later. It never did show up. This put a damper on my cruise since I was expecting to spend a lot less.

When I got back, my TA said she would request RCCL issue me a refund. Still haven't seen it and it's been weeks. I know they are slow with refunds because they had repriced my cruise before final payment (website glithes, they said) and I had to wait for that refund too.

Do you all think I have a RCCL problem or a TA problem? I was ready to write it off, but my TA said no, I should keep fighting for it, so I don't think it's her.

I would have a very uneasy feeling about this TA. She was able to quickly get the OBC that had been promised to you to show up, but for 'some unknown reason' not the prepaid gratuitities. It just doesn't ring very well in my ears.

At this point the TA should give you a credit and if SHE gets it back from Royal, good for her....and for you....find another TA.

The TA won't necessarily have all the details of the booking; as I mention, if I make reservations online against the booking, the TA will have no clue that has occurred and therefore won't be something the TA can provide. The cruise line has everything and (as it seems others on this thread agree) should be the entity to make it all available to view.

Some others on this thread might agree and some as myself disagree. If I negotiate stuff with a TA it´s said TA to confirm and deliver / make sure it´s delivered by the cruiseline. As I said before, I´ve been in the same Situation like the OP before and my Resolution has always been to let my TA deal with the issue. A quick mail from the ship which hasn´t cost me a fortune or a big amount of time and the Problem was taken care of.

Why is it the cruiseline who Needs to put this up on their Website and not the TA?:confused:

Because ultimately RCI is the party that is going to provide the service that you purchased. The contract on RCI's website will show exactly what they plan to deliver. A TA could post whatever they want. It doesn't mean that RCI has the same information. And, also, with all of RCI's IT issues it would be nice to know ahead of time that all is in order before leaving for vacation and not have to deal with the problems when one should be enjoying his/her vacation.

Hi, I just wrote a letter to Goldstein which I thought I would share here.

If you are writing to the COO of RCCL the corporation then Adam Goldstein is the proper recipient. If you really meant to send it to the CEO of Royal Caribbean International (RCI) the brand then it should have been sent to Michael Bayley. It is a very common error to use RCCL vs RCI as many here do but RCCL has several different brands; http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-irhome

I'm sure that fixing this problem you have identified is far more complex than just pushing a button and having it happen. Probably a relatively expensive software fix on several different computer platforms. I doubt if anything will change based on your input.

Originally Posted by lewinr viewpost.gif

Please accept my feedback regarding our recent cruise (Jewel of the Seas, Dec 27). I am sending this to the executive office as it is not a “customer service failure” but a strategic question of the relationship between RCCL, your TAs and your mutual customers.

You distinctly stated, "your TAs"

You think that's the outcome that RCCL wants to have resulting from their customers working with their agents?[/color][/i]

The way you worded this sentence identifies:

1) You (us) as RCCLs customers. You are the TA's customer.

2) "their agents" implies the relationship is to "RCCL".

I am suggesting to RC that they change their policy to help their passengers, themselves and even their TAs

ibid.

And yet again . . .

Where did I state this even once, nevermind repeatedly?

Obviously the TA is not an employee of RCCL.

However TAs do in some ways represent the cruise line, because (as far as know) they should have an agreement with the cruise line to act as their agent. If a cruise line has poor agents working for them, they will have more problems and it will reflect poorly on the cruise line. I believe that the cruise line understands that it is in their interest to have competent, honest and reliable TAs working as their agents.

Much has been said over the past few pages and I cannot reply to everything.

But I want to reply to the specific post above from Calgon1 where he says I have repeatedly said that TAs are employees and representatives of RCCL.

I never once said that TAs are employees or representatives of RCCL. They are RCCL's agents.

They are specifically authorized by RCCL and sign an agreement with RCCL. TAs must pass a selection process for the both the agency and the individual to have the right to sell Royal Caribbean cruises. They must also pass RCCL training programs.

Saying that the TAs which RCCL selects and authorizes are "their TAs" is absolutely logical and reasonable. It is the difference between any TA off the street and the TAs who are authorized by RCCL.

Some others on this thread might agree and some as myself disagree. If I negotiate stuff with a TA it´s said TA to confirm and deliver / make sure it´s delivered by the cruiseline. As I said before, I´ve been in the same Situation like the OP before and my Resolution has always been to let my TA deal with the issue. A quick mail from the ship which hasn´t cost me a fortune or a big amount of time and the Problem was taken care of.

Though I agree that it is the TA's responsibility to "confirm and deliver", once on a ship, it potentially becomes difficult to resolve issues when the TA could be many miles and timezones away, and communication with said TA still does cost time, but potentially some significant amount of money (onboard internet does cost money, and not everyone is capable of making it work for a quick email in hopes of a resolution leading to either a delay or an expensive phone call).

As Ocean Boy mentions below, it is RCI that is going to provide the service (nobody else will be), so while you are standing at guest relations, do you know that it is the TA that failed to make sure what was delivered, or if it is the line either dropping the ball or just refusing/failing to deliver.

Generally speaking, if it isn't listed in my RCI documents, I have little recourse with RCI. But while on their ship, they are effectively the only people I can communicate with to resolve any issue (unless my TA is also onboard, they aren't going to personally make sure anything is delivered).

Because ultimately RCI is the party that is going to provide the service that you purchased. The contract on RCI's website will show exactly what they plan to deliver. A TA could post whatever they want. It doesn't mean that RCI has the same information. And, also, with all of RCI's IT issues it would be nice to know ahead of time that all is in order before leaving for vacation and not have to deal with the problems when one should be enjoying his/her vacation.

Indeed! I am on vacation, and don't want to deal with any problem. So much so, that if I was supposed to receive a gift and didn't, I am far more likely to blow it off than chase it down (my time has monetary value to me, so it better be worth what I am chasing). And if a gift is something that was somehow paid for by the TA, then RCI is effectively ripping off the TA.

OP, Adam Goldstein is no longer in charge of RCI - he is now at the holding company. Your comments should be directed to mbayley@rccl.com - he will forward it to the appropriate department. RCI (and Mr. Bayley) would of course prefer that you just email C&A but my experience has been that those emails only get a cursory canned response..

Thanks. I'll send it to him also.

And I like your son's rendering of the new FOS. :)

Thanks, I'll let him know :)

Princess does one better - you can dowload your travel summary which will show all of your onboard credits and any gifts. This is true whether you book directly or with a TA. What does not show is the price of the cruise or the price of the gifts (obviously they show the amount of each OBC).

This is exactly what I believe RCCL should do. And I expect that Princess has less problems and negative experiences as a result. (There may be other reasons for dissatisfaction on Princess, but kudos to them for doing what they can to eliminate at least one of them...)

The TA should provide a copy of every benefit or gift that is promised to the customer. It should not be the customer's responsibility to round up the documentation, other than to remind the TA if s/he has failed to provide it. But I do think that RCI should provide the same kind of travel summary directly to the client. It's too easy for them to hide behind the "ask your TA" mantra - as long as the customer's request doesn't affect the TA's income, it should not matter.

A few people have said "you should have had a copy of the documentation with you."

In fact I did. And I showed it to them. But they repeated that they did not see it in their computer. And I don't see why they should trust my "documents" unless they are issued by RCCL... my 14 year old son could easily produce a similar document in Word showing the same benefits and even more. Such a document really is worthless.

Perhaps I could have kicked up a fuss and insisted that they provide me the benefits, contacted the T&A, etc. But I'm on vacation to avoid things like that...

Edited by lewinr

A few people have said "you should have had a copy of the documentation with you."

In fact I did. And I showed it to them. But they repeated that they did not see it in their computer. And I don't see why they should trust my "documents" unless they are issued by RCCL... my 14 year old son could easily produce a similar document in Word showing the same benefits and even more. Such a document really is worthless.

Perhaps I could have kicked up a fuss and insisted that they provide me the benefits, contacted the T&A, etc. But I'm on vacation to avoid things like that...

You have a Point with what you said in the Quote above. We all know sometimes information from shoreside are not submitted to the ships, and as you said above a printed documentation can be made up by about everyone and is really no recourse of help onboard.

This brings me back to my opinion about the TA. It´s the TA I deal with and it´s the TA that provides me with extras so it has to be the TA to sort it out.

As I´ve said before I´ve been in the Situation and BTW not only with RCI but also with Princess which has been mentioned in the thread for being better in this aspect. If something is missing I go down to guest Relations once and inquire about it. Either it´s resolved, if not I´m done with it and don´t spend any vacation time on the issue. I have a TA to deal with this. Maybe my TA is exceptionally good, which I kinda doubt, but they have always dealt with the Situation and either got me the benefits onboard or reimbursed me after the cruise for any missing stuff. I have no idea what goes on behind the Scenes between my TA and RCI and I don´t care as it´s None of my Business. Just as an example I was promissed prepaid grats on my last cruise. I was charged the daily grats once onboard, emaild TA and got a quick Response I should just let them know if I wanted a check for the amount or if they should apply it to one of my future bookings and just to Response when back home to not spend my time on the Internet.

I agree with the OP. On my Allure cruise last year I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get a specialty dinner that was comped by the TA. The TA said they'd sent the info to RCI, but of course I had no way of knowing whether or not this was true until I was on the ship. I ended up having to call the TA on my cell phone from one of the ports and they took care of it. Still, if I'd been able to see details on the reservation before sailing, I could have avoided the hassle (not to mention the charge for the phone call).

This brings me back to my opinion about the TA. It´s the TA I deal with and it´s the TA that provides me with extras so it has to be the TA to sort it out.

I agree 100%.

I just want to know it is a problem so I can sort it with the TA before I board and not after.

I agree you should be able to see your reservation,,,, RCCL could make it so you can see it and not show anything that only the TA see's or does... Half the post on this site complains on how RC screws up and people didnt get this or that but you all are assuming right now it was the TA fault maybe RC screwed up once again with that great IT dept they have

Why is it the cruiseline who Needs to put this up on their Website and not the TA?:confused:

Because at the end of the day the OBC will have to show up on my Seapass account to be of any use to me. What goes on the Seapass account is controlled by RCI not by the TA.

So no matter what the TA tells me, eventually it has to be confirmed by RCI. I shouldn't have to wait to be onboard to get this confirmation from RCI. That way I would be able to resolve any issues with my TA before boarding.

Maybe next time you should book through Royal directly. Was the benefit you were promised, but never received worth wasting your time at guest relations?

In fact, no one at royal executive office really cares about your TA issue. At the end of the day, it will be your TA fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time on Royal, so I cant speak directly to them, but on Disney they have confirmations waiting for you in your stateroom when you board stating all of your OBC or other benefits.

On the off chance something is fouled up, I could call or email my TA before the ship even left port. Did the same thing on the Carnival Splendor when my OBC was missing. They had just switched to a new OBC system, the next day I had a message on my stateroom from the hotel manager apologizing and she added EXTRA obc for my trouble. Say what you want about Carnival, they handled that one after my TA called them and told them I was not getting what she paid for.

I applaud the OP for taking the time to contact Royal, but I doubt they will care.

Are you kidding, you'd trust RCL's IT dept to come up with an all encompassing solution--look at the issue with DD and entertainment reservations on Quantum.

We all understand the difficulties RCI has with it's IT but we're not reinventing the wheel here. If you book direct or with a TA, you get an invoice from Royal. All they need to do is include the TA perks on the invoice. If you don't see them on the invoice, you call your TA and let them handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To close the loop on this, I did get a call from somebody from Goldstein's office who said:

- she was asked by him to follow-up, he reads about 90% of the such letters himself and is very interested in feedback from customers but does not have the possibility to reply personally. I don't really believe that he reads 90% of such letters himself, but anyway she seemed sincere.

- she said that she agreed with me, and that Goldstein also "shared many of my views" (not an exact quote but something that could be understood as he maybe agreed with me but with enough wiggle room that it could also mean maybe he didn't... this person was a professional... :) ) and that the interest of the customer is the primary consideration.

- they would consider implementing such a thing but of course it depends on the feasibility from with IT, the restrictions in their contracts with TAs, etc.

In general it was a nice call and I was not expecting it. (I thought maybe I would get an email response in the form of a standard "thank you for the feedback" letter.) I did not include my number in the email so it means they at least made some effort to find me.

First time on Royal, so I cant speak directly to them, but on Disney they have confirmations waiting for you in your stateroom when you board stating all of your OBC or other benefits.

On the off chance something is fouled up, I could call or email my TA before the ship even left port. Did the same thing on the Carnival Splendor when my OBC was missing. They had just switched to a new OBC system, the next day I had a message on my stateroom from the hotel manager apologizing and she added EXTRA obc for my trouble. Say what you want about Carnival, they handled that one after my TA called them and told them I was not getting what she paid for.

I applaud the OP for taking the time to contact Royal, but I doubt they will care.

On my recent Allure cruise, my TA gave me a specialty restaurant dinner for two. When we boarded, I stopped by Giovanni's Table and asked if they show the free dinner. They had the confirmation, and if they did not, I would have contacted my TA to ask what's up. The Op could have done the same.

It surely makes sense to know what you are getting in the way of OBC's or things that are complimentary from you TA, before you get on board and then check that they are there upon checkin. You have time before leaving port (at least can do it if in the US) to reach your TA.

Despite stirring up the "Cheer Leaders" I am of the personal opinion that RCCL's IT system has a long inglorious history. Having issues similar to the OP, we suggest you call the TA about a week before sailing and have them confirm, while you are on hold, that their offer(s) were credited. If not, the TA has the time to have the problem corrected.

Despite stirring up the "Cheer Leaders" I am of the personal opinion that RCCL's IT system has a long inglorious history. Having issues similar to the OP, we suggest you call the TA about a week before sailing and have them confirm, while you are on hold, that their offer(s) were credited. If not, the TA has the time to have the problem corrected.

Whatever the opinion of the IT dept is among CC members, this is about the company policy of how to deal with cruisers who have made their reservations via TA's.

I guess to my amazement, even when we have made our arrangements through a TA, and have needed some assistance from Royal, I have gotten it. Usually, the help I needed did not impact any commission item that would have affected the TA's pocketbook.