Letter to Goldstein about RCCL refusing to discuss TA bookings

lewinr

Book with RCCL directly, in the future. The issue was with the TA, not the cruiseline.

Book your cruise to get the best deal, know what you are entitled to, and communicate with those who are providing the benefits effectively.

People have had good and bad experiences with TA's and Royal.

You think that's the outcome that RCCL wants to have resulting from their customers working with their agents?

Remember the TA is NOT an agent of RCI but an independent business that will book the cruise for you. It is no different then it was back before computers where you had to go to a TA to book an airlines ticket.

So if a problem occurs with your perks it is the TA's fault and not RCI

Remember the TA is NOT an agent of RCI but an independent business that will book the cruise for you. It is no different then it was back before computers where you had to go to a TA to book an airlines ticket.

So if a problem occurs with your perks it is the TA's fault and not RCI

So how does RCI have the ability to tell these independent business men how much they must charge for a cruise and not allow them to discount or they get cut off from being able to book with RCI?

How do you know the problem was with the TA and not with RCI screwing up the information after it was transmitted? RCI is not know for having the most stellar IT department in the business world.

Book with RCCL directly, in the future. The issue was with the TA, not the cruiseline.

I don't think you can say the bolded with certainty.

Is it POSSIBLE, the TA did whatever they needed to do to produce the "gift" (let's say contact RCI and pay for the free bottle of wine), but RCI "dropped the ball" and didn't provide what the TA paid for?

Yes, it's also possible the TA didn't do what they were supposed to and that's why the bottle didn't show up.

I think the OPs request is a valid one. ANY benefit (OBC, drinks, specialty restaurants, gratuities, etc), provided by ANY agent (whether RCI or 3rd party) SHOULD be able to be seen online when looking the cruise details.

If I book directly with RCI under an offer that gives free OBC, is it unreasonable to ask that OBC be noted on my cruise details? What if I purchase a Barbie package (or sail a way package, whatever) ahead of time? Shouldn't that be shown on the cruise details? Why does it matter who "buys" the item?

You don't know that. The TA may have done everything right and Royal Caribbean may not have properly provided the information to the ship.

You don't know that. The TA may have done everything right and Royal Caribbean may not have properly provided the information to the ship.

That is true. By booking with a TA, if an error or miscommunication occurs, the cruiser is potentially stuck in the middle. if one does not wish to potentially be stuck in the middle or if one wishes to control one's own booking, then just book direct. If the TA's service and/or perks are wonderful, then use the TA (but keep in mind that one might at some point feel uncomfortably in the middle).

But RCCL would rather you book directly with them avoiding Commission paid to TA's

So they kind of put a little (tripping point) into your reservation.

QUOTE]

If that were really true, then why on more than one occasion when booking cruises onboard, will the Loyalty Ambassador automatically assign that booking to your TA if you used one for your current cruise. That has happened on more cruises than I care to tell you and makes me quite angry. You fill out your Next Cruise information...leave it at the Cruise Desk and bingo, they look and see you are with a TA currently and put them on the reservation. So annoying. The last cruise with Celebrity, we even had an appointment booking with the agent onboard and she assigned it without even asking us.

I also use TAs for the perks they provide, but I book initially direct with RCCL. Then I wait for a deal from the TA and transfer the booking to get those perks. If RCCL really wanted my business, they wouldn't assume I want to use the TA again. They'd let me decide that.:mad: And put themselves in as my agent.

The automatic assigning of a Next Cruise to the TA that booked your current cruise is part of their contract with the TA. It is not a "tripping point", they are obligated to do so contractually. They can provide a simple form you can fill out if you wish to have direct ownership of the Next Cruise, highly recommended.

Edited by zeridan

The automatic assigning of a Next Cruise to the TA that booked your current cruise is part of their contract with the TA. It is not a "tripping point", they are obligated to do so contractually. They can provide a simple form you can fill out if you wish to have direct ownership of the Next Cruise, highly recommended.

I did not know that.....I don't mind however, since we have a very good TA. But Royal isn't consistent in doing it either, just to let you know.

Edited by Paulette3028

Actually I booked a cruise while on a group cruise and had it assigned to my regular TA at the time of the booking (I was not impressed with the group's TA). When I returned from the cruise I notified my TA of what I did. She said hearing from me was the first she knew about the booking (though she was able to confirm it though whatever system the TA has for communicating with Royal Caribbean).

Basically it is a new booking and you can place it where ever you want.

Edited by Cuizer2

Actually I booked a cruise while on a group cruise and had it assigned to my regular TA at the time of the booking (I was not impressed with the group's TA). When I returned from the cruise I notified my TA of what I did. She said hearing from me was the first she knew about the booking (though she was able to confirm it though whatever system the TA has for communicating with Royal Caribbean).

Basically it is a new booking and you can place it where ever you want.

The TA wouldn't be "notified", the ownership is simply placed in their hands. Your next cruise will be put in the same ownership as the current cruise you are sailing, automatically, guaranteed.

You can request in writing it be switched from your TA to your direct control and if your TA agrees that can be done, if they do not agree you must appeal. So I would not describe it as a booking you can place wherever you want IMO

Your TA may have arranged, called into RCCL the Bottle of Wine, paid for your dinner, etc if those things were not available to you, then contact your TA tell him/her you didn't receive any of the named benifts. Someone on RCCL may not have followed thru at anyrate, if these known things were to be given to you, then I would have checked with my TA before leaving to make sure the arrangements were in place and if not they make sure it is. If I have any questions before we leave, I always notify our TA to check on our Reserv and she promptly gets back to me.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

The TA wouldn't be "notified", the ownership is simply placed in their hands. Your next cruise will be put in the same ownership as the current cruise you are sailing, automatically, guaranteed.

No, it was never put in the group TA ownership. When I booked the cruise on board I told them which TA I wanted it assigned to and they did assign it to my regular TA.

Edited by Cuizer2

Booking thru our local TA have never had a problem with repricing and log into RCCL many times to check excursions and such. Reading about the repricing I asked my TA to double check our Reserv and it was fine.

We asked our TA as well, after we made some online reservations against our booking, and the TA said all the prices, OBC, etc. were fine.

No, it was never put in the group TA ownership. When I booked the cruise on board I told them which TA I wanted it assigned to and they did assign it to my regular TA.

Sounds like you had fantastic Guest Relations rep that put your needs first and filled out the proper form for you ahead of time. Thanks for sharing that experience. Make sure you ask every time if they don't ask you however. I'm just trying to make sure you understand the standard policy.

Sounds like you had fantastic Guest Relations rep that put your needs first and filled out the proper form for you ahead of time. Thanks for sharing that experience. Make sure you ask every time if they don't ask you however. I'm just trying to make sure you understand the standard policy.

As I said, I didn't care for the group TA. I made it clear that it was a condition of the booking that my regular TA get the booking. I even brought all the necessary identification for my regular TA.

In short, I would not have booked if the group TA was given the booking.

I'm a little confused by all of this. Did the O.P. contact his T.A., after he returned from the cruise? What was the outcome? Seems to me, that would be the first step. That way, he would know immediately, who dropped the ball.

Sounds like the O.P. doesn't trust his travel agent. In that case, I'd get a new agent or book directly with Royal.

I'm a little confused by all of this. Did the O.P. contact his T.A.' date=' after he returned from the cruise? What was the outcome? Seems to me, that would be the first step. That way, he would know immediately, who dropped the ball.

Sounds like the O.P. doesn't trust his travel agent. In that case, I'd get a new agent or book directly with Royal.[/quote']

Based on what happened, from my POV, the OP should not trust this TA. It would be interesting to know if OP spoke to TA after cruise and what was said by TA, if anything. But at this point it will be a finger pointing game.

(I am the OP)

The point of my thread is not about who is responsible, pointing fingers, what my TA said afterwards, who screwed up, how it can be solved onboard, what compensation I could or should receive, etc.

The point is that RCCL should change its policies so that we can avoid getting into this situation in the first place.

That is true. By booking with a TA, if an error or miscommunication occurs, the cruiser is potentially stuck in the middle. if one does not wish to potentially be stuck in the middle or if one wishes to control one's own booking, then just book direct. If the TA's service and/or perks are wonderful, then use the TA (but keep in mind that one might at some point feel uncomfortably in the middle).

Good point and that is the reason we book direct.