Harwich to LHR question

Hoping an experienced cruiser can help here: Cruising roundtrip out of Harwich. Looking at timing of flights home when we disembark. How much time should I allow to get to Heathrow? Best method of transport? Thanks for ideas.

I can't help you except to say that you'll need plenty of time, but I know that this has been discussed on here. Do a search in this forum for "Harwich" and you should find advice.

Have a great cruise'

Edited by Turtles06

Hoping an experienced cruiser can help here: Cruising roundtrip out of Harwich. Looking at timing of flights home when we disembark. How much time should I allow to get to Heathrow? Best method of transport? Thanks for ideas.

We have actually used RCI (bus) transfers...not something I would do at any other ports...but this one it just made things easier....due to the distance and cost vs private transportation options.

We have also used the cruise train from Harwich-Liverpool Street Station but that was when we stayed a week post cruise in London.

As said, the usual way is to use the train from Harwich International (right beside the ship) to London Liverpool Street (about 1:30), then either tube to LHR (about 1hr) or taxi to Paddington and Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect to LHR (also about 1hr). So you have got to allow at least 3 hrs, but probably 4. However, many of us have often said that Harwich is one of the few ports where the cruise line transfer works, because it is such an awkward journey. Also bear in mind if you did use the cruise bus, on weekdays you will be on a major commuter route...allow at least 4 hours. So if you allow 2 hours for check in/security and wiggle room, the earliest flight I would go for is 2pm...and 3pm would be better!

Simon

As said, the usual way is to use the train from Harwich International (right beside the ship) to London Liverpool Street (about 1:30), then either tube to LHR (about 1hr) or taxi to Paddington and Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect to LHR (also about 1hr). So you have got to allow at least 3 hrs, but probably 4. However, many of us have often said that Harwich is one of the few ports where the cruise line transfer works, because it is such an awkward journey. Also bear in mind if you did use the cruise bus, on weekdays you will be on a major commuter route...allow at least 4 hours. So if you allow 2 hours for check in/security and wiggle room, the earliest flight I would go for is 2pm...and 3pm would be better!

Simon

Just imagine how much nicer it will be a few years from now. Train to L'pool St, Crossrail to Heathrow.

We have actually used RCI (bus) transfers...not something I would do at any other ports...but this one it just made things easier....due to the distance and cost vs private transportation options.

We have also used the cruise train from Harwich-Liverpool Street Station but that was when we stayed a week post cruise in London.

Agreed.

- Difficult & time-consuming by public transport, because it starts with that train journey into central London, then cross London for transport options to Heathrow (or Gatwick).

- Expensive by private transfer due to the distance, unless you get half-a-dozen or more to share a van.

- For a twosome, bite the bullet & use ship's transfers.

JB :)

THANKS for all your helpful tips. We do have some in our little group who will have problems pushing luggage around on public transportation if we have to make connections, so the cruise ship transfer might be our best option. Back to the drawing board for a flight later in the day!:)

Edited by KikiKruiser

THANKS for all your helpful tips. We do have some in our little group who will have problems pushing luggage around on public transportation if we have to make connections, so the cruise ship transfer might be our best option. Back to the drawing board for a flight later in the day!:)

You may have addressed this already but is there any chance that you can book your flight for the next day? We just booked transportation via private car (van for 6, which was cheaper that ship coach return to Harwich) for RT transport Heathrow to Harwich, but I always arrange flights to arrive the day before and depart the day after disembarkation. Too much stress doing it on the same day!

Good luck!

You may have addressed this already but is there any chance that you can book your flight for the next day? We just booked transportation via private car (van for 6, which was cheaper that ship coach return to Harwich) for RT transport Heathrow to Harwich, but I always arrange flights to arrive the day before and depart the day after disembarkation. Too much stress doing it on the same day!

Good luck!

Hi! Wish we could. We are already stretching vacation time by arriving a week early to spend time in the UK. But due to work schedules of some in our group, we have to fly home day of disembarkation. However, it does look like we can get flights out mid-afternoon so we will keep our fingers crossed! :)

On a good day, Harwich to Heathrow is a couple of hour's drive. On a Saturday, this may well be achievable, but there are often delays so I would factor in another hour at least.

A pre-booked car will cost around £140 to £160 for two plus luggage..

Hi! Wish we could. We are already stretching vacation time by arriving a week early to spend time in the UK. But due to work schedules of some in our group, we have to fly home day of disembarkation. However, it does look like we can get flights out mid-afternoon so we will keep our fingers crossed! :)

We are sailing out of Harwich as well and we also have some in our small group that cannot push luggage on public transportation.

Just to give you an idea of cost, I did a lot of research on private car services and found that if I booked a van we would have plenty of room for luggage and to offer ride share to someone, cutting down the cost. So that is what I did. I actually booked an 8 passenger van. There are 4 of us and I found another couple on our roll call to share the car. Brought the cost round trip down to about $50 (USD) per person. We are limiting to 6 passengers for comfort and to be sure there is enough room for luggage.

Compared that to the cost of the cruise ship transfer, which is $89 (Harwich to Heathrow), and we felt this was a good deal. You may want to consider a private transfer. We have booked with 24/7 Airport Transfer.

Edited by pmjnh

I think the best thing to do is what we did. Stayed an extra day in London and not have to worry about getting to the airport. Did a tour after our cruise from Harwich and they dropped us off at the airport. Spent the night at an airport hotel and left the next day. After checking in at the hotel took the tube into London. No stress. More fun.

I think the best thing to do is what we did. Stayed an extra day in London and not have to worry about getting to the airport. Did a tour after our cruise from Harwich and they dropped us off at the airport. Spent the night at an airport hotel and left the next day. After checking in at the hotel took the tube into London. No stress. More fun.

We all agree that not having to fly home day end of cruise is best. But unfortunately that's not an option for the OP.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think there will be 6 of us and it looks like we can get a 3:30 flight out of LHR. Sounds like booking van-type transport is the way to go. :)

That sounds good. Just book the van to be there as close to disembarkation time as possible. Can I ask which ship you are sailing?

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Essex and use that rail route to commute into London Paddington on a regular basis. It is an easy trip to do. Once off the train from Harwich into Liverpool Street it is just a few yards walk to the Underground with a choice of two lines to Paddington.

A short walk again takes you into the mainline platform and off on the Heathrow Express - again a journey I have done before too. Buy tickets for this in advance online and look around for online deals and offers via Google.

KO

I live in Essex and use that rail route to commute into London Paddington on a regular basis. It is an easy trip to do. Once off the train from Harwich into Liverpool Street it is just a few yards walk to the Underground with a choice of two lines to Paddington.
However, AIUI there is no step-free route to the platform for trains in this direction. So that needs to be considered by anyone with luggage.