Photography with an iPad

philv

On last cruise, i saw a women trying to take a picture of the sunset drop her brand new iPhone 6 plus overboard. :eek: She was in tears.

If I lost my Droid MAXX overboard I'd definitely be quite peeved but... This is why one pays for the insurance on the phone. If I drop it in the ocean, drop it on cement, run over it with the car, drop it in the fireplace, etc. it will be replaced by the insurance.

Edited by Thrak

Huhh?

You lost me. a snapshot..........?:confused:

Also, most lenses on tablets/smartphones (iPad's/IPhones) use glass not plastic optics.

Technical explanation:

The diameter of the lens on a DSLR is about the same as size as a drinking glass. Those really big lenses that you see pros using at a sporting event are the diameter of a football. (Fully inflated). The diameter of the lens opening on a smartphone camera (or i-Pad) is the width of your pinky finger. The wider the opening the more light gets in and the faster it gets in. More and faster are better when it comes to photography.

Non-technical explanation:

When was the last time that you went to a wedding or sat for a portrait and saw the professional photographer shooting with a phone or an i-Pad? Do you think they spend all that money on equipment just for fun? If they could get pictures of like quality from equipment that costs 100x less, they would. But they can't. So they spend tens of thousands of dollars on gear.

Larger lens and larger sensor will always = quicker shutter speed in any light.

slower shutter speeds i.e. iPads will be prone to camera shake and motion blur. Hence anything designed as a camera will produce much crisper and clearer photos than any iPad of phone.

In ordinary talk any camera compact or SLR will literally crap over any iPad or phone in terms of image quality.

The iPhone 6 Plus has Optical Image Stabilization for stills, and video help improve the final output a lot.

But due to small sensor, can't crop, or enlarge prints without pixelation/loss of image quality, but certainly good enough for things like email, Instagram, etc.

Some DSLR's and compact cameras still lack any form of I.S.

I tend to carry a real camera, and iPhone. Depending on your quality expectation YMMV. If the image quality from your camera phone/tablet is good enough for you, then that's all that matters, isnt it?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Huhh?

A snapshot is designed as a camera and can function with quicker shutter speeds due to the size of its sensor and lens. Light reaches the sensor quicker meaning you will always get crisper and clearer photos than any iPad or mobile phones. You will also have a better built lens quality opposed to the cheap plastic used by the iPad which again deteriorates its quality.

You lost me. a snapshot..........?:confused:

Also, most lenses on tablets/smartphones (iPad's/IPhones) use glass not plastic optics.

Also the original poster referred to his camera as a "snapshot" which I presume is a digital compact as many are calling them these days.

The iPhone 6 Plus has Optical Image Stabilization for stills, and video improve the final output a lot.

I.S. is a poor substitute for quality optics and a steady hand (or tri/mono pod). I would much rather have a Canon "L" Series lens without I.S. than a consumer grade lens with I.S.. But if you want to buy me an "L" Series lens with I.S., I wouldn't turn down the offer!

The iPhone 6 Plus has Optical Image Stabilization for stills, and video help improve the final output a lot.

But due to small sensor, can't crop, or enlarge prints without pixelation/loss of image quality, but certainly good enough for things like email, Instagram, etc.

I tend to carry a real camera, and iPhone.

If you have a DSLR then I.S. is not necessary in many occasions. When I am shooting with my full frame I have a 17-40mm f/4 "L" lens that does not have I.S. I can generate perfect photos without it.

If I am shooting with the 100-400mm f/4-5.6 "L" then there is I.S. as it will need if for the great distance.

I do not know of any DSLR that has image stabilisation. It is all in the lenses.

If I lost my Droid MAXX overboard I'd definitely be quite peeved but... This is why one pays for the insurance on the phone. If I drop it in the ocean, drop it on cement, run over it with the car, drop it in the fireplace, etc. it will be replaced by the insurance.

Your phone ins pays for a "lost" phone? Most don't. I'm guessing dropping a phone in the ocean would qualify as "lost" :)

If you have a DSLR then I.S. is not necessary in many occasions. When I am shooting with my full frame I have a 17-40mm f/4 "L" lens that does not have I.S. I can generate perfect photos without it.

If I am shooting with the 100-400mm f/4-5.6 "L" then there is I.S. as it will need if for the great distance.

I do not know of any DSLR that has image stabilisation. It is all in the lenses.

Pentax DSLR had in body shake reduction called "SR". None of the Pentax lenses have built in IS.

Sony A7II Full Frame mirrorless camera has built in stabilization in body. 5 Axis stabilization. Pitch, Yaw, Roll, X, Y.

Olympus Micro Four Thirds. All have In Body image Stabilization. 3 or 5 axis IBIS.

Panasonoic Micro Four Thirds GX7 has in body stabilization. 2 axis.

There are a few others, but can't remember them all.

I too shoot Canon 5DMKII and 7D. Lenses: 50 f/1.2L, 17-40 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 135 f/2L, 200 f/2.8L.

I prefer to use and carry two Micro Four Thirds cameras with 3-4 lenses or plus a pocket Sony RX100 P&S (large sensor P&S) camera when cruising. Better on the back and shoulders, smaller kit, and doesn't scream "professional photographer"with a bagful of gear, since I'm only day tripping and taking memory snapshots. IQ IMHO close to APS-C of my 7D :cool:

My apologies for getting OT from: OP using iPad 2 to take photos.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Huhh?

Light reaches the sensor quicker meaning you will always get crisper and clearer photos than any iPad or mobile phones.

I think most physicists will have a problem with you varying the speed of light.

Maybe you mean that more light reaches the sensor ...

Except ... when the SX50 is in the cabin because it is big and a pain to carry around all the time...

20% of our photos are with our GoPro

10% with the SX40 and

70% with the phones ... because while they may not have a great lense and take the best ... we almost always have them with us.

I have NO problem with the size of my SX50. I carry it whenever and wherever I want. It has a deep grip and I find it very comfortable and secure to hold. I wouldn't be happy with the quality of a camera phone (and I have a very good "camera" phone) to use 70% of the time. I guess it all depends on your priorities. I've carried "bridge" cameras for 14 years. Personally, I prefer the size and weight of a beefier camera but not to the point of a dSLR with all it's attachments. Which is why I don't own one.

85-90% of my pictures are taken with my SX50 (bridge cam)

10 to 15% with my Samsung Galaxy S5.

I think most physicists will have a problem with you varying the speed of light.

Maybe you mean that more light reaches the sensor ...

RE:

Light reaches the sensor quicker meaning you will always get crisper and clearer photos than any iPad or mobile phones.

beg3yrs,

Please do not attribute that statement to me. You quoted the wrong person!:p

Edited by Kingofcool1947

beg3yrs,

Please do not attribute that statement to me. You quoted the wrong person!:p

Well ... be sure to make sure that when you quote someone, it is shown as a quote!

There there, Brisbane41, maybe Down Under the speed of light does vary a bit ... (technically, light does have different speeds in different media - glass, water, vacuum, etc) but the medium in which it travels is the same in these cameras.

Here's a test....

• go take a picture outside on a sunny day with your iPad and your camera. Which looks better on the computer?
  • go take a picture in a dark room with the iPad and then your camera. Which looks better on the computer?

iPad pictures look lousy on a computer. But so do old cameras. As a result, I recommend you do a test before making a decision.

iPad's are great to quickly show pictures to others on a bus or later at dinner. But it looks horrible when printed or displayed on something not an iPad.

Here is an example of camera under $100 that would most certainly out perform your ipad or old camera:

20 mp Sony W800 $78

http://smile.amazon.com/Sony-W800-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B00I8BIBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422331629&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+under+200

If you search amazon for "cameras under 200" you can get several more options. I don't know anything about these, but after spending a couple thousand on a cruise, I don't think upgrading your camera to preserve the memories is a bad plan.

I came up with 57 cameras on DPreview with interchangeable lenses that had sensor shift (i.e. in-camera) image stabilization. Get your facts straight.

DON

I came up with 57 cameras on DPreview with interchangeable lenses that had sensor shift (i.e. in-camera) image stabilization. Get your facts straight.

DON

Sorry, I only look at top end. I earn income with mine so unless the review has either Canon or Nikon I wont even give them a second glance.

Edited by Brisbane41

Sorry, I only look at top end. I earn income with mine so unless the review has either Canon or Nikon I wont even give them a second glance.

That's actually funny to hear people still saying that...

Dave

Edited by pierces

You might want to take a look at the images the Sony FF mirror less cameras are producing. I'm a Nikon user myself, but the quality of the stuff form Sony (and the Fuji) is hard to argue with.

Edited by TruckerDave

Results change over the years... in recent years... Nikon uses Sony sensors for some camera models. Both Sony and Nikon has been getting impressive image quality results. Sony and Fuji look good in the mirrorless category.

Results change over the years... in recent years... Nikon uses Sony sensors for some camera models. Both Sony and Nikon has been getting impressive image quality results. Sony and Fuji look good in the mirrorless category.

I almost went with a Sony A7 in Dec. (I went with a new D610 instead). Decided to stay with Nikon because of the number of lenses. In a couple years after Sony fills out their lens lineup I just might jump ship. (I looked hard at the Fuji XT-1, but couldn't justify almost 2k for a crop body camera)

Probably not true as DSLR fancy lenses have much more glass for the light to pass through. In any case ... really doesn't' make ANY difference.

On another note ... what is the point of a DSLR anyway.

In the old days when you couldn't see what the film was recording kinda useful.

Now that you can look at exactly what is being recorded on the recording medium interactively and instantaneously ... SLRs are mostly pointless.

One of the reasons another being weight that we have a SX40 and not a fancy DSLR.

I got an iPad Air 2 for Christmas and wonder what people think about photography with an iPad. I always thought people looked stupid taking pictures with their iPads but the Air 2 has an 8 megapixel camera, my snapshot camera is 5 mp. I'm not talking professional level photography, just taking snapshots while cruising. Thoughts?

I too got a I-Pad Air 2 for Christmas and still testing it out. I am also taking the workshop classes at the Apple store. You can get tips from the employees at the workshops and I am learning some useful tips.