Packing 101

jer99

We always dread this part and we leave next Monday for an 11 day Caribbean cruise.

My wife likes to wear clean clothes every day- me,a typical guy, can wear the same pants and shirt for almost 11 days 😄

Fresh socks & underwear I understand, but with the heat (we're acclimated to 20 F) and the formal nights, it seems we need lots of suitcases.

Can someone break it down for me? I know everyone's different, but not too many are carrying 4 suitcases!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always dread this part and we leave next Monday for an 11 day Caribbean cruise.

My wife likes to wear clean clothes every day- me,a typical guy, can wear the same pants and shirt for almost 11 days 😄

Fresh socks & underwear I understand, but with the heat (we're acclimated to 20 F) and the formal nights, it seems we need lots of suitcases.

Can someone break it down for me? I know everyone's different, but not too many are carrying 4 suitcases!

Thanks

Nothing like waiting to the last minute to figure this stuff out, right??? :eek: :D

No worries... it looks like you are relatively new to Cruise Critic (based only on your low post count) and in a hurry to get stuff done before your trip, so I will spare you from others telling you about how to search on here (I did it for you.... you're welcome! ;)).

Here is a thread (click on the link to follow and read). There are various ideas/suggestions/thoughts. Also, at post #21, there is a link to a video to help someone pack a lot in a single bag. I didn't watch the video to know if this is for both M/F travelers or just for one. If it helps you, then glad you had access to it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1970254&highlight=packing

Don't overthink the packing thing. In all the years of my travel, I pull out everything I want to take, put it next to the suitcase, and see that it clearly won't all fit. I do one or two passes to remove everything I know I can live without or that I think I won't need/use much. If the pile is still too large, I try to pack things I know I can wear multiple times to extend the length of what I am taking.

One last thought, pick your favorite 2 colors (ones you find yourself wearing most of the time) and pack outfits that will coordinate. This also helps to extend the amount of what you wear.

And, I am a firm believer of not doing chores while on vacation, so I am not going to think twice about sending a few pairs of socks and underwear to be cleaned on the ship. That cost of laundry/dry cleaning will be far less than checked baggage fees or overweight fees. You decide how you want to spend your money. :)

Enjoy your cruise!

Tell your wife to use the following guideline...

2 days before you are going to pack, put everything you absolutely need to take on a spare bed in your home. The next day, put 1/2 of it back in your closet and then the day you actually pack, only pack 1/2 of what's left on the bed.

One other suggestion for your wife is that you are going to see 2800 people who you will likely never see again....and believe it or not, they are not all taking notes on what your wife is wearing at all times. In other words...wearing something twice is not a sin :)

Finally, the laundry/dry cleaning on board is pretty good and fairly priced...some things can be cleaned mid cruise.

Limit yourselves to no more than one 24/25" suitcase each with one airplane carry on each. That's the most we'll pack for a 28 day cruise...and we always come home with things we haven't worn.

One other suggestion for your wife is that you are going to see 2800 people who you will likely never see again....and believe it or not, they are not all taking notes on what your wife is wearing at all times. In other words...wearing something twice is not a sin :)

I agree.

1. I will probably never see these people again, and

2. Can I remember what the people at my table were wearing at dinner 4 or 5 nights ago? Probably not.

Having said that, I always over pack ;)

Tell your wife to use the following guideline...

2 days before you are going to pack, put everything you absolutely need to take on a spare bed in your home. The next day, put 1/2 of it back in your closet and then the day you actually pack, only pack 1/2 of what's left on the bed.

Finally, the laundry/dry cleaning on board is pretty good and fairly priced...some things can be cleaned mid cruise.

Limit yourselves to no more than one 24/25" suitcase each with one airplane carry on each. That's the most we'll pack for a 28 day cruise...and we always come home with things we haven't worn.

There's an old rule of thumb, take half the clothes you packed and twice the money.

My wife likes to wear clean clothes every day- me,a typical guy, can wear the same pants and shirt for almost 11 days

Thanks

Lots of us ladies take two pieces of luggage and a carry on, especially for a 11 day or longer cruise, this make us happy not having to wear clothes multiple times. There is a laundry service onboard for you to use if you want to limit yourself to one bag per person, personal choice.

Here's another thought: I cruise with some people many times. Do I remember what they wore? Nope. Do they remember what I wore? I doubt it. It's not about what you're wearing, it's about the fun you're having. If you take things you've washed and dried many times, it's safe to send them to the ship's laundry. Otherwise have them dry cleaned.

Relax, you're on vacation!

My DH and I can pack everything into two carry-ons for an 11 day cruise, so I don't have the exact same problem. However, I will share a funny situation that comes with trying to not pack too much. We went on an 11 day cruise and when we got on the ship is realized I did not bring any bottoms (shorts, pants, anything) and my DH did not bring any evening shirts (polo). So, although you should limit what you bring, be careful it is not too little ;)

We have 24" rollers and have used them for trips of 6 weeks, including a two week cruise. Yes, you do have to wear certain items multiple times, like dress slacks at dinner , jeans, etc., but I always had something clean and comfortable to wear and I think we looked presentable at all times.

I bring a nice pair of black and off white slacks for dinners, and mix and match a variety of nice tops/blouses that pack small. I don't repeat tops on a 14 night cruise, and after all no one can see what I'm wearing on the bottom when I'm at dinner! I use the rolling method and put them all in a plastic grocery bag which I tie tightly. I have a couple of cocktail length dresses that also pack small that I wear for formal nights. Obviously this takes some planning/shopping but is easily doable.

Then a variety of casual tops (separate plastic bag) and 4-5 pairs of pants/capris plus shorts depending on weather. Jammies, ONE pair of dress sandals for all dinners, one extra pair of casual shoes plus what I am wearing, and I am good to go.

Travel has been SO much more enjoyable since we started traveling light, really a game changer. If you run into me on a cruise and think I am sloppy/underdressed/inappropriate, please let me know!!

My wife likes to wear clean clothes every day- me,a typical guy, can wear the same pants and shirt for almost 11 days ��

Thanks

We are on the same cruise as you & we have it down to a fine art for us anyway. My DH & myself take 2 pants, 2 shorts, he takes 5 T shirts , & 5 shirts for dinner as well as I tux & 1 Tux shirt. We get laundry done part way through the week & works like a charm, he of course gets his tux shirt laundered & ironed comes back beautifully. In the suitcase roll everything works really good & nothing gets wrinkled. I take a few dresses & skirts with different tops & we take 1 suitcase & 1 garment bag.

Edited by If only

I guess I just don't understand why luggage presents such a problem for people. Unless I'm on a backpacking trip whether it's one piece or two makes little difference. It takes a couple of extra seconds to pick up the second piece and check it or stow it. I don't drag my luggage around the ship with me once I'm there. As far as carrying luggage around, get some with wheels.:confused:

To each his own but I'd rather have enough than have to spend time and money shopping for something I didn't bring.

We pack for 8 days no matter how long we are going to be gone (have done several cruises of more than 30 days). We no longer bring formal clothes so we don't need room for those things (we travel on Oceania and Azamara more than Celebrity - they don't have formal nights). We use the laundry services. Who cares if you wear the same things over and over as long as they are clean? The more you travel, the easier the packing will become and it will also become less important. Never more than a 24 in suitcase and a light carry-on for things I need to keep with me (including a change of underwear just in case of delays).

I guess I just don't understand why luggage presents such a problem for people. Unless I'm on a backpacking trip whether it's one piece or two makes little difference. It takes a couple of extra seconds to pick up the second piece and check it or stow it. I don't drag my luggage around the ship with me once I'm there. As far as carrying luggage around, get some with wheels.:confused:

To each his own but I'd rather have enough than have to spend time and money shopping for something I didn't bring.

IF we were just flying/driving to and from a cruise, it would not be a deal at all. But we always combine significant land trips in Europe with our cruises, and getting on and off trains and in and out of rental cars, taxis, and hotels with no lifts, believe me it makes a HUGE difference.

One of my all time favorite CC posts was from a lady who asked if 14 pairs of shoes was enough for a 7 day cruise. :rolleyes:

My rules of travel which my wife does not agree with are that if it don't smell, I can re-wear it. If the colors do not match, who cares. If I have to wear something several days and people see me, I really do not worry about what they think.

Re that 14 pairs of shoes woman, she probably meant that the 14 pairs were just for the first day of the cruise.

DON

IF we were just flying/driving to and from a cruise, it would not be a deal at all. But we always combine significant land trips in Europe with our cruises, and getting on and off trains and in and out of rental cars, taxis, and hotels with no lifts, believe me it makes a HUGE difference.

One of my all time favorite CC posts was from a lady who asked if 14 pairs of shoes was enough for a 7 day cruise. :rolleyes:

I probably take more pairs of shoes than bottoms :o. There again, my size 4s (US 5) weigh nothing compared to a couple of my DH's size 12s (US 13) - well, that's the excuse I use :rolleyes:. Think I'll start using Don's advice though: my shoes smell in hot weather unless I change them frequently :p.

Sometimes I do remember what other people wear! This is no joke...many year ago on our very first cruise a gentleman seated at our table for 8 wore the same mustard yellow shirt all 7 nights. He added a jacket for the formal night.😳

Edited by Eddie's Girl

...Can someone break it down for me? I know everyone's different, but not too many are carrying 4 suitcases!...

We've almost always used four suitcases and often have a couple carry-ons as well. And many of our cruise friends carry on just as much.

On a Caribbean cruise we'll normally have one large suitcase each, plus a large garment bag for most of our hang up clothing with lots of other stuff jammed into the pockets, plus a large duffel bag with snorkel gear, shoes, and misc other stuff. On top of that my DW usually has a small carry-on roller with items she doesn't want in checked luggage and I carry a small backpack with books, electronics, cruise documents and a couple other things I don't want in checked luggage.

On most of our European cruises we've managed to cut out the duffel bag since we don't need beach items or snorkeling gear.

Edited by Lsimon

Okay...here's a standard packing list I wrote several years ago.

(I posted on Cruise Critic...and...after that, it was plagerized in several places around the net--with attribution!!):

standard packing list

For a seven night cruise:

Men: One small carry-on size rolling bag.

7 pairs undershorts

5 pairs socks (Don't need them for at-sea days)

4 T-Shirts (we'll pick up a few more as souvenirs along the way)

1 pair shorts (They're good for at least a week)...

1 pair long pants (only because they make you wear them in the dining room)

1 pair shoes

1 Swim suit

NO Suit or Tuxedo (Rent it on the ship so you don't have to schlep it all the way there and back)

Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Razor

Camera

Women: One large suitcase for Casual clothes

One Large Suitcase for Formal clothes

One large duffel bag for shoes

One suitcase for toiletries, cosmetics, creams, shampoo/conditioners, lotions, etc.

One suitcase for purses, accessories, grooming equipment, travel irons, steamers, etc.

One carry-on with hairbrushes, vitamins, pain relievers and other prescriptions, cosmetics that they forgot to put in the suitcase, last minute items needed past packing of other suitcases.

One purse the size of a suitcase filled with all the usual junk: lipstick, chewing gum, mints, keys that she can't even remember what they go to and don't need on the cruise anyway, photos of the kids, credit cards for every department store and shop known to man, even ones no longer in business, gym membership card she never uses, hair pins, loose change, old candy wrappers, mints from the restaurant she ate at a month and a half ago, that bag of peanuts from the flight in on Southwest...and so on ad infinitum...

Specifics:

14 panties (one pair each day plus one for evening)

20 hose or pantyhose (accounts for 7 evenings as at least half or more will run while putting them on)

7 casual skirts and/or Bermuda shorts (something that covers the knees and most of the imagined cellulite)

7 casual blouses or tops...actually, make that 14 as most "outfits" require a top covered by a blouse hanging over it)

[NOTE: One can never be seen wearing the SAME outfit TWICE!!]

7 pairs of "casual" shoes...as each "outfit" must be particularly coordinated with the precisely perfect pair of shoes

5 dressier skirts and/or pairs of slightly dressy slacks for casual evenings

4 formal gowns (Yes, I know that there are only two formal nights, but one won't look exactly right and she'll need to put it back and wear something else...and a second won't fit right anymore by the end of the cruise)

5 more pair of slightly dressy shoes...and...

4 pairs of "formal" shoes (again, each "outfit" must be coordinated with the proper shoes)

[NOTE: All formal gowns and formal shoes MUST be purchased special for the cruise. God forbid someone on the cruise MAY have been at your niece Jessica's wedding in June and has already seen you in that gown!!]

Assorted (meaning at least 10 of each) belts, scarves, etc. A woman needs to "accessorize"...

14 purses (again, must match the "outfit")

At least 70 assorted pieces of Jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, earrings, pins, rings) of various types from diamonds down to cheap costume jewelry (again, the accessories must complement the particular outfit being worn)

6 swimsuits, though she'll never actually make it up to the pool deck...besides, "I can't be seen in public in a swimsuit"

6 "cover-ups"...just in case she braves wearing a swimsuit...

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Deodorant

Eye Shadow

Eyeliner

Blush

Foundation

Lipstick

Lip Gloss

Eyebrow pencil

Nail polish

(At least 4 or 5 shades of each variety of make-up)

Make-up remover

Moisturizer

Face cream

Cold Cream

Anti-wrinkle cream

Body lotion

Cotton Balls

Q-Tips

Razor

Shaving Cream

Tweezers

Hairbrush (at least three varieties)

Suntan lotion

Sunscreen

"Feminine Products" (though most often the item forgotten or not packed enough...just so YOU will have to go running around the streets of Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas looking for drug stores and trying to explain this to a clerk who only speaks Spanish)

Hairdryer (even though they supply them on the ship--it's a reflex motion...but the excuse is "I don't like theirs")

Curling iron

Iron (even though the ship says they're forbidden..."I NEED it")

Steamer

Sewing Kit (like she's going to actually sew)

Eyeglasses

Sunglasses

Contact Lenses

Contact Lens solution

Advil

Midol

Dramamine

Pepto Bismol

Tums

Rolaids

Campo-Phenique

Pepcid

Metamucil

Any other possible medication for any other real or imagined malady which MAY arise during the course of the cruise--which they obviously don't sell anywhere but here at home...

Hair dye (just in case the roots start showing during the cruise)

And, this is just off the top of my head...I KNOW I'm leaving off lots of stuff...

It's a good thing airlines allow you two fifty pound each pieces of luggage plus a carry on each... ...(Or they used to...maybe now with a small fee!)

All of YOUR stuff can go in your carry-on, while hers MAY neatly fit into the four allowed pieces of luggage plus her carry-on...

Even with the extensive packing, know that there are simply things not accounted for which now MUST be acquired in port...Besides, some of these ports are just great "shopping towns" ...After all, how important are a bunch of old churches and museums when each port has so many nice stores?

I love your post and words to live by!

We travel light but what does it cost to bring a 2nd bag on a cruise, land trips are a different story.

Life is to short enjoy!

I do the same kind of long trips but I guess I don't stay in hotels without lifts. All the other things are manageable and I bet I could find someone to carry the bags up the stairs for a couple of bucks.;)

Bruin Steve, your post was very funny!

@OP, my husband and I each do a 7 night cruise with one 21 inch roller board carry on and one day pack that fits under the airplane seat.

His includes:

1 tuxedo with 2 shirts and 2 bow ties.

2 pairs dockers, one light on black

1 dress shoes-black but not shiny that can work with tux or pants

7 under garments

4 socks (he never wears them in the day and washes out for evening use)

Croc sandals

3 bathing suits that he can also wear as shorts

2 other shorts

4 day time T-shirts (3 are dri-fit so can be washed out and worn again)

3 short sleeve golf shirts

1 short sleeve dress shirt (black)

1 long sleeve dress shirt

1 tie

1 belt

toiletry kit

tablet

He travels wearing his running shoes, shorts (yes, even if we leave in the dead of winter) and a T-shirt with a windbreaker.

I don't mind a bit washing out a few things by hand in the sink and hanging them to dry.

So far this has worked wonderfully for us.

I do the same kind of long trips but I guess I don't stay in hotels without lifts. All the other things are manageable and I bet I could find someone to carry the bags up the stairs for a couple of bucks.;)

We do long trips too, but would never carry more than we can manage ourselves. We often rent cars in Europe and there is not enough trunk space for more than two suitcases since we do not like to have large cars on the narrow roads. Two 23" suitcases and two small carryon bags that fit on top will take us on a 30 day trip which includes a cruise and a land component. We have no problem spending an hour doing laundry, or sending items out while on the ship. We do comply with the dress code, but do not feel that we need different outfits for each day.

As an aside, we stayed in a hotel in Santiago that had no elevator. The receptionist asked if we wanted our luggage taking up to our room. When we said yes, she grabbed our cases one in each hand and carried them up two flights of stairs. We had expected a burly bell boy, but she was probably 5'0" and 100 lbs! She refused a tip!

Sheila