Reflection Luminae Construction Feb 7 2015

C 2 C

Perhaps a more practical approach would have been to leave some cabins unbooked while the renovations are underway. If this impacts, say, 5% of the dinner seating, book 5% less passengers for that cruise.

But that's based on the assumption that the loss of seating is indeed enough to cause a significant dining disruption. If that's not the case, no need to take any steps to alleviate what isn't a problem.

As Arno has posted., in the post immediately preceding yours, it isn't causing any major issues.

The stress in the dining room is much less than expected.
Edited by cle-guy

The only issue this cruise is the 1,2,3 program resulted in 2,300 pax with the beverage package.

Fellow Canadians on board are really loading up on anti-freeze in preparation for their return home.

Hi Curt,

OK, so then I suggest they do this work during a planned dry dock and roll out the improvements ship by ship over an extended period of time. I am not a shareholder, but a paying customer and my expectation is to have a pleasant and uncomplicated cruise experience. This current scope of work is beyond a nuance and I have never experienced anything like this during any cruise, ever. This work is not a necessary repair or ongoing maintenance. Regarding hotels, most hotels give a heads up about construction during the booking process, whether it's on property or in the immediate vicinity. If my stay at a hotel is being disrupted by construction activity it's pretty easy for me to pick myself up and check in somewhere else. I really feel that this is an inconsiderate move on Celebrity's part and yes, you're right, it's all about revenue.

Julie

As a shareholder AND a paying customer, I have to go by what Arno mentioned that, at this point, there hasn't been a significant stress in the dining room.... "Much less than expected." Since he's there, it seems a lot of the "sky is falling" complaints may be much ado about nothing.

I am dismayed that this degree of construction is taking place in a major public venue like the MDR during a sailing. This is another example of chasing revenue...this ship and the others undergoing conversion should be taken out of service for a quick trip to the boatyard and come back online with ALL improvements complete, 100% operational and ready to function exactly as advertised. This is such poor planning and shows total disregard for the comfort and enjoyment of all guests, suite and non-suite. Cruising in a construction zone does not resemble anything in their marketing materials...I expect to get away from that kind of activity when I'm living in my parallel universe, sailing on the high seas...I don't want to see it, hear it, smell it or know anything about it.

I am also a little concerned about disruption. Not so much from the actual construction process, but disruption due to increased wait times for Select dining because of the reduced space in the dining room. This is my first Celebrity cruise (2/28 sailing) and I was really looking forward to it, now I am a little concerned this will detract from the experience.

Although whatever happens it will beat snowy Chicago I'm sure :)

We like 6 to 6:30 dining. No problem. The other Zeniths like 8:30, no problem.

The stress in the dining room is much less than expected.

Arno - glad to hear that the MDR experience has been relatively smooth and pleasant for you. Your updates are fascinating to hear and watch in real time. Thanks!

I'm on the next two sailings, and I'm really not concerned - just curious. We always do Select dining. Last February, we usually went to dinner about 6pm. We found that our favorite table gave us a view over the rail to see what was going on in traditional dining. It was an interesting "show". It was amazing to see just how many tables were under-seated and completely empty night after night. I completely see how they can rationalize taking the portion of the MDR for the new Suite dining room.

Also, once the construction area was blocked off, I assumed that passengers would not be bothered by the construction. All they really needed to do was make sure they were not pounding away during meals, and all would be well. There are no passenger staterooms under the construction area, and as long as they are not banging during the hours the dining room is open, it makes sense.

I really wonder if we will be able to see before we leave the ship on Feb 28! That would be exciting - even without a suite booked!

Hi Arno. Are the specialty restaurants particularly crowded?

We were in Lawn Grill at 6:30 and it was half full.

Yesterday we were in Murano at 6 and all seats were taken by the time we left.

Qsine tonight.

I asked a year ago and the answer was no.

However there are 7 Zeniths on board this sailing, and all of us are having dinner in the specialty dining areas just like the suite passengers.

Arno,

Thanks for the response. :)

I am sailing on Reflection end of June, but unless someone high up wants to upgrade me I wont be trying Luminae or Blu...

I don't really appreciate separate class dining and can not see the benefit of taking the dark section of MDR and turning it into an elite dining room. Surely it will use the same kitchens and have the same low ceiling. It will not have the atmosphere of the grand dining room that hopefully will not be spoiled by sectioning off this area.

A lot of work was done designing the original MDR and the Solstice Class MDR is one of the most beautiful rooms afloat. Now it will appear lop sided.

I do feel that if Suite passengers want to have separate sun decks, different spa or theatre areas and private dining rooms, perhaps they would be happier on Regent or Azamara ? On Celebrity most users will be airline crew who get special deals, so what is the real benefit for anyone?

I am yet to be convinced.

Edited by JonAlone

On Celebrity most users will be airline crew who get special deals, so what is the real benefit for anyone? .

Huh????? :rolleyes: I know quite a few people who cruise in suites on X, have been lucky enough to do so myself on occasion.....none were or are airline crew.... I work hard and pay the going rate..... (mind you I wouldn't mind a special deal...but that's not likely...)

I am sailing on Reflection end of June, but unless someone high up wants to upgrade me I wont be trying Luminae or Blu...

I don't really appreciate separate class dining and can not see the benefit of taking the dark section of MDR and turning it into an elite dining room. Surely it will use the same kitchens and have the same low ceiling. It will not have the atmosphere of the grand dining room that hopefully will not be spoiled by sectioning off this area.

I think the benefit will be having a more calm dining experience, fewer large table,s more 2 and 4 tops, and not so close together, more like a Murano experience.

I'm not expecting anything amazing as far as food prep personally. Also as to talking the dark section, it's always dark when dining anyway, so could care less about how dark or few windows there would be. In any case it boils down to the atmospheric lighting, with nothing to do with the windows.

Originally Posted by JonAlone

On Celebrity most users will be airline crew who get special deals, so what is the real benefit for anyone? .

Huh????? :rolleyes: I know quite a few people who cruise in suites on X, have been lucky enough to do so myself on occasion.....none were or are airline crew.... I work hard and pay the going rate..... (mind you I wouldn't mind a special deal...but that's not likely...)

I do know many airline crew who take advantage of last minute "Interline rates", but so far none have been placed in suites. I think they end up with final left open cabins, perhaps some folks you know are getting lucky, but none I know so far have even gotten a Sky Suite.

X uses these last minute "interline deals" to fill ships final cabins with airline crew, as the crew can generally make it to port on a fee flight, whereas normal folk may balk at the cost of last minute airfares. Similarly I think why they open up resident rates last minute for those who are close and can drive in. The more word spreads to the Airline crews about the fabulous deals, the more they can count on them actually fill-in the empty slots, and not rely on gambling on the rest of the fickle masses.

The downside, is for me, I can't plan ahead with any of my airline friends, as they are always very last minute bookers. :(

Edited by cle-guy

A lot of work was done designing the original MDR and the Solstice Class MDR is one of the most beautiful rooms afloat. Now it will appear lop sided.

I do feel that if Suite passengers want to have separate sun decks, different spa or theatre areas and private dining rooms, perhaps they would be happier on Regent or Azamara ? On Celebrity most users will be airline crew who get special deals, so what is the real benefit for anyone?

I am yet to be convinced.

Regent, Amazara and the other higher end lines do not offer the energy or large ship experience of Celebrity. With the new suite amenities I think Celebrity is looking to attract people who enjoy some of the luxuries of the more upscale lines, yet want a livelier overall cruise. I am at the stage in my life where I have limited vacation time, but enough money to splurge a bit during my vacations. I had been doing mainly land trips the past couple years as I felt too young for the luxury lines but was starting to not enjoy Celebrity as much as when I first stated sailing with them; Luminae in part resulted in me booking a Celebrity cruise this fall instead of a land vacation.

I really like the concept of Luminae; while the MDR is aesthetically pleasing, the ambiance is that of a noisy, crowded banquet hall - not my cup of tea. I much more enjoy intimate dining venues, personalized service, like that the meals will be made from scratch and hopefully they make good on their statement regarding making use of some locally sourced ingredients. I am also hopeful the meats will be of higher quality than has been the case in recent years in the MDR.

I have sailed in suites three times on Celebrity and have yet to meet a single airline employee that was also in a suite. On the other hand my first ever cruise was when I was dating an airline pilot and we had an inside stateroom. :)

It is a bit like paying full fare to travel first class on a flight .. most there are having fares paid by businesses, in the trade for free upgrades or using airmiles.... few actually put their hands in their own pockets for the privilege of a comfy seat and a glass of champagne. There are always exceptions that set the price to discount for others.

I have been on Celebrity and RC having booked guarantee grade outside cabins when cruise staff have been allocated suites - This really is against the principle of a "guarantee cabin" which is a contract supposed to be for the best free cabin available... but they give the best ones away to staff ! - I no longer book an X-Grade cabin because of this.

With regard to lighting: These areas may have windows but for dinner these will be dark. The best lighting is in the centre area of the lower deck in MDR or against the railings on the upper decks. Here you get the advantage of the ambient and spot lighting as well as the higher ceilings and better acoustics. Ceilings are very much lower where the new venue is situated. There is unlikely to be enough ceiling height for something similar to the chandeliers in Blu... so expect more coloured LEDs and concealed ambient fitments. More than likely illuminated wall features. It is a shame candles aren't allowed.

Edited by JonAlone

I don't really appreciate separate class dining and can not see the benefit of taking the dark section of MDR...

Sounds to me like you'd take it if it was handed to you, low ceiling, darkness and all. Oh the humanity. :D

Edited by MizDemeanor

It is a bit like paying full fare to travel first class on a flight .. most there are having fares paid by businesses, in the trade for free upgrades or using airmiles.... few actually put their hands in their own pockets for the privilege of a comfy seat and a glass of champagne. There are always exceptions that set the price to discount for others.

I have been on Celebrity and RC having booked guarantee grade outside cabins when cruise staff have been allocated suites - This really is against the principle of a "guarantee cabin" which is a contract supposed to be for the best free cabin available... but they give the best ones away to staff ! - I no longer book an X-Grade cabin because of this.

With regard to lighting: These areas may have windows but for dinner these will be dark. The best lighting is in the centre area of the lower deck in MDR or against the railings on the upper decks. Here you get the advantage of the ambient and spot lighting as well as the higher ceilings and better acoustics. Ceilings are very much lower where the new venue is situated. There is unlikely to be enough ceiling height for something similar to the chandeliers in Blu... so expect more coloured LEDs and concealed ambient fitments. More than likely illuminated wall features. It is a shame candles aren't allowed.

I believe you misunderstand the guarantee cabin. It is not 'the best free cabin available ' it is a cabin available that is discounted and so you get what is left.

It is amazing what can be done with lighting.

I am dismayed that this degree of construction is taking place in a major public venue like the MDR during a sailing. This is another example of chasing revenue...this ship and the others undergoing conversion should be taken out of service for a quick trip to the boatyard and come back online with ALL improvements complete, 100% operational and ready to function exactly as advertised. This is such poor planning and shows total disregard for the comfort and enjoyment of all guests, suite and non-suite. Cruising in a construction zone does not resemble anything in their marketing materials...I expect to get away from that kind of activity when I'm living in my parallel universe, sailing on the high seas...I don't want to see it, hear it, smell it or know anything about it.

Then we would have even more posts complaining about cancelled cruises! The current cruises had been on sale for about a year when the new suite perks were announce a year ago.

Sounds to me like you'd take it if it was handed to you, low ceiling, darkness and all. Oh the humanity. :D

hmmmmmmmm ... Whereas I rarely look a gift horse in the mouth, I think I am done with Blu, the menu is too repetitive on every cruise so far.. and although it feels a little special, it is like every decent restaurant in London, whereas MDR is a bit special and if you get good table service, it can be finer dining.

I have had deals on Aqua before and paid about £100 extra for a 16 night TA which was worth it, but friends chose to eat in Blu every night and mid cruise it can lack imagination.

Guarantee cabins are like lottery tickets. You don't know what you are going to get. You are reserving a cabin type, but you can't choose the cabin you want. The prices of guarantee cabins are lower than the same cabin when you choose the one that you want. Some people get lucky and are upgraded or get a really good room but that's not the norm. If you ask here what most get when booking a guaranteed suite, for example, the answer is an S-2 and most times accessible. Some get a Royal suite or a Celebrity suite, but not often. If you booked a guaranteed cabin expecting the best cabin available, then someone didn't give you the best advice.

About lighting and the best seats available, I like my table with a view, close to a window. But to us the best table is the one we share with friends, where we can have a good conversation.

We are suite guests most of the time and have been assigned good and bad tables. Again, sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. Looking forward to try the new Suite dining room in July. Believe me, we are paying a premium price for this privilege. I was taught that you get what you pay for.