Early Savers Dining

Malefage

Under the system which I described any super saver fares passengers unsuccessfully requesting first sitting should be allocated freedom dining. In this way they can sit together as a family and amalgamate with other diners as they wish. By booking super saver they have substantially reduced their chances of being allocated a "top choice slot". Restaurant manager should likely run out of other set sitting spaces earlier. The queue to get it changed will be shorter as there are fewer disappointed passengers (as explained earlier) and fewer people would queue knowing successful changes are now extremely hard to get as there are fewer people seeking extrication from a set up they did not want as all requirements were known from the start, at the booking up time.

Regards John

There is a limit as to how many Freedom diners can be accommodated. So how does your theory work if all 1st sitting and freedom dining has been taken? I think you will find that within the allocation algorithm there will also be an element of the earlier you book, the more chance of you getting your first choice which is how it used to be.

It wont be long before the number of moans about having to queue for Freedom dining increase (there are already quite a few on this board) because more and more passsengers are requesting Freedom dining. (this was introduced originally at the passengers request).

Why can you not just accept that if you pay a cheaper fare your choices are less. You KNOW that at the time of booking. If you don't like it then either pay Select fare - which sometimes is not that much more - or please go and cruise with another company who does things your way.

There is a limit as to how many Freedom diners can be accommodated. So how does your theory work if all 1st sitting and freedom dining has been taken? I think you will find that within the allocation algorithm there will also be an element of the earlier you book, the more chance of you getting your first choice which is how it used to be.

It wont be long before the number of moans about having to queue for Freedom dining increase (there are already quite a few on this board) because more and more passsengers are requesting Freedom dining. (this was introduced originally at the passengers request).

Why can you not just accept that if you pay a cheaper fare your choices are less. You KNOW that at the time of booking. If you don't like it then either pay Select fare - which sometimes is not that much more - or please go and cruise with another company who does things your way.

If all 1st sitting and freedom allocation has been taken anyone remaining will be allocated 2nd sitting. There would be realistically no point in queueing up to try to get out of 2nd sitting because everywhere else will be full of people who requested it, not full of people who did not state a preference and have landed with it.

If there is an algorithm whereby you get an allocation by booking earlier despite obtaining a saver fare this makes it unfair on people who book later at full fare or higher tariff.

Clearly people who pay a cheaper fare tariff will get fewer choices and rightly so. The discussion I am putting forward is based on observing the ridiculous situation where a section of passengers are unable to state a dining preference, get allocated one which in some cases they dislike and then queue up to get it changed. This is only possible because lots of others in that sector got the opposite result and want to take up the option the others are leaving. On shore the cruise line thinks this does not happen and on board the restaurant manager wants to please as many passengers as possible.

I book with P&O quite often and generally pick my own cabin so I assume I am not usually on a saver type tariff. I have cruised with other lines too as you are aware and will continue booking a range of lines.

Regards John

I'm at a loss to understand why so many people are against second sitting dinner in the MDR because this is my first choice. After a busy day in port I like to take my time to prepare for dinner including a pre dinner drink or 2 in one of the ships bars. Also I quite like afternoon tea, but if I enjoyed this I definitely would not be ready for the first sitting dinner. I think I booked a Select a Fare for my upcoming cruise since I picked my cabin and have been allocated my dining preference however, given that my dining option appears to be the last resort maybe I should have opted for a saver fare and double on board credit :). To be honest though I am happy with my choices (which are guaranteed) and the price paid and only hope that the persons sharing our table are like minded since unhappy winging eating companions would be terrible!

After a busy day in port I like to take my time to prepare for dinner including a pre dinner drink or 2 in one of the ships bars. Also I quite like afternoon tea, !

me too Darling.

One goes to the Beach, one sits poolside and enjoy's some well deserved vino.

One needs some time to dress up and ready themselves for dinner.

Although some passengers think that a queue in flip flops and a robe is dressing for dinner.

I saw people walking around the ship in bath robes one time, and they were nowhere near the pool.

Some poeple have no respect for themselves or for others.

Some people are awful, but i do like them.

/

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn never wears flip flops on a cruise. Its nasty

I'm at a loss to understand why so many people are against second sitting dinner in the MDR because this is my first choice. After a busy day in port I like to take my time to prepare for dinner including a pre dinner drink or 2 in one of the ships bars.

Peoples' routines vary. I think the issue with 2nd sitting is really that 2030 is just too late for many people - or they feel it plants itself right in the middle of the evening.

So working on this theory everyone is asked on booking what dining they would prefer.

approx.1 1/2 weeks before sailing they start allocating tables (I know this from when we have requested a certain table in the mdr).

This is how other cruise lines work and how P&O used to.

By this time all the select fares would be given their requests. The early savers will be given theirs. You then have the saver fares....that will have to be slotted in among what space is left.

Absolutely. The sensible way to do it. Priority given to those that have paid more and without extra work for the restaurant manager trying to accommodate changes to randomly assigned dining times for those on Saver fares.

However among them you have 2 cabins travelling together that must have the same table...you have someone who must eat early whatever....long list.

Are you going to say that everyone who paid a saver fare ,who did not get what they wanted will not come on hear and complain.

When these fares came out, it was I don't mind where my cabin is or what time I dine, I just want to cruise cheaply.

Then it was I don't mind where my cabin is but I must have 2 next to each other, and I want to cruise cheaply.

Then it was I don't mind when I eat, but I have to have a table for 4 people travelling together, or be on first sitting, and I want to cruise cheaply.

Then it was ask us what dining we want, and the parameters within that dining, and I want to cruise cheaply.

Of course none of you would never ever pay a cheap fare and complain about the position of the cabin, or the fact that you told them what sitting you wanted and have not been put on it...

Most of the complaining seems to be coming from those paying the exhorbitant Select fares.

This is how other cruise lines work and how P&O used to.

Absolutely. The sensible way to do it. Priority given to those that have paid more and without extra work for the restaurant manager trying to accommodate changes to randomly assigned dining times for those on Saver fares.

Most of the complaining seems to be coming from those paying the exhorbitant Select fares.

Not what I have seen. The complaints are mostly fro those paying saver and not getting what they want.

But for some cruises it must be the case that select diners do not get the sitting they want. E.g. Those who want first sitting and end up on freedom. This has resulted, on a number of cruises, in there being long queues at 5.30 for freedom where people are turning freedom into another first sitting.

Not what I have seen. The complaints are mostly fro those paying saver and not getting what they want.

But for some cruises it must be the case that select diners do not get the sitting they want. E.g. Those who want first sitting and end up on freedom. This has resulted, on a number of cruises, in there being long queues at 5.30 for freedom where people are turning freedom into another first sitting.

If 1st sitting is incredibly popular on most cruises they could do what the have done on some Princess Cruise ships. One restaurant has a super early sitting at 5.30pm. At the conclusion of that the restaurant becomes an Anytime Dining venue as no 2nd sitting happens just random people eating as per Freedom Dining.

Somebody needs to work out what the majority of cruisers like and plan a simple system to accommodate the bulk of them and not create a system whereby land and ship seem to be thinking out of kilter.

Regards John

We pay the Select fare because it is important to us to be able to choose our specific cabin and we always opt for 2nd Sitting Club Dining, table of 8. We have never had a "bad" table and have met some delightful people over the years, some of whom we still correspond with.

Reading through this thread it doesn't seem to be Select passengers who are complaining but people who have Saver or Early Saver fares, some of whom, seem to want the dining choice even though it is clearly stated in the Terms of Booking that they will not have first choice and in the case of Saver Fares, dining times will be allocated.

I really don't understand why people on Saver fares have a problem with the system. If we are booking a select fare we invariably book freedom and have always managed to get it but if we book an Early Saver or Saver fare we take what we are allocated. We know the terms of each of the fares at the time of booking and so know that we will have our dining time given to us when we board for either of the less expensive fares. If dining time is important then the answer is simple, book the Select fare. If you don't want to pay the higher price then book the lower price but accept that it has limitations.

We all know that we are paying less for cruises (even when paying Select prices) now than we paid as far back as the 80, the only thing that I can say is we all choose to spend our money as we wish but if we choose cheap then we should accept less.

I usually book saver fares as exact cabin location is not that important to me but I prefer freedom dining.If i don't get allocated this I know that with the savings made I could eat in the speciality dining venues on some nights when the allocated sitting time does not suit.However this causes the problem that whatever table I am allocated to on a set sitting has 2 empty seats on a number of nights and I may not be the only one doing this.If you have booked a select fare and chosen 2nd sitting and table for 8 you may find yourselves sitting on a table for 2 or 4 on occasions. So for those of you saying that you should not be able to change your allocated time if on a saver fare, you need to think how this decision may impact upon yourself.

I agree completely, Josy

I also agree with Josy.

We will be cruising on Azura in two weeks time doing a back-to-back. We booked a select price so that we could stay in the chosen cabin for both cruises. We like second sitting which we have been allocated, but the table size (8) has not been confirmed. Doing B/B we got 10% off the cost of each cruise + a further 5% for a promotion they were running at the time, and extra OBC. Very happy with what we paid. Friends of ours have booked a cruise for August and would like us to accompany them, however I am waiting for the results of treatment which I will not have till after our cruise so cannot book, as I would not be able to get insurance. Assuming the result is positive we will wait until the saver fares come out and take whatever we are given just being happy to be on a cruise. I wouldn't care where the cabin is - I'm a good traveller, or the dining time (we never eat with our friends when travelling together anyway). You pays YOUR money and makes YOUR choice.

Can anybody explain why the cruise line arranges that some passengers are not allowed to make a dining choice, allocate them an arrangement at random but then lets them change this once on board. This makes no sense to me.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
grammar

Can anybody explain why the cruise line arranges that some passengers are not allowed to make a dining choice, allocate them an arrangement at random but then lets them change this once on board. This makes no sense to me.

Regards John

I suppose if you had 50% of saver passengers allocated a sitting they did not want then allowing them to swap with those allocated the other unwanted sitting you end up with happier passenger, all for no extra cost to the cruise line. The only people that wont be happy are some Select fare passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suppose if you had 50% of saver passengers allocated a sitting they did not want then allowing them to swap with those allocated the other unwanted sitting you end up with happier passenger, all for no extra cost to the cruise line. The only people that wont be happy are some Select fare passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think Select fare passengers would be at all bothered. They have got what they booked for after all. I don't believe Select fare passengers are trying to create a two tier status. Its the Saver fare passengers that won't to book the lower fare but then want the same as the Select fare passengers who have paid more.

I agree. Point in case booked cruise in March (4 nights) for the first time using a saver fare. (Cannot imagine anyone would book a select fare which is around £120 - £200 pp extra) for an outside view. No ability to request a dining time. End result 4 nights in the speciality restaurants and a MDR table with 2 people missing for the whole of the cruise - which I know from experience is not great for those left on the table (especially if a table for 4 becomes a table for 2).

Ps thanks to anyone on my cruise who has paid a select fare and subsidised me!:D

I usually book saver fares as exact cabin location is not that important to me but I prefer freedom dining.If i don't get allocated this I know that with the savings made I could eat in the speciality dining venues on some nights when the allocated sitting time does not suit.However this causes the problem that whatever table I am allocated to on a set sitting has 2 empty seats on a number of nights and I may not be the only one doing this.If you have booked a select fare and chosen 2nd sitting and table for 8 you may find yourselves sitting on a table for 2 or 4 on occasions. So for those of you saying that you should not be able to change your allocated time if on a saver fare, you need to think how this decision may impact upon yourself.

My point is that if they had been allowed to state a preference; even though they were last on the list to be selected; they would all get what they wanted unless this had run out. In that case they would be defaulted to an arrangement which they did not particularly like. At this point a giant queue would not form because virtually nobody would be trying to leave an unattractive set up because it would be realised there is nowhere alternative available.

Logically if you do not ask people for a preference and allocate them randomly you should be saying to the on board you booked the cheap rate so your allocation cannot be changed.

Both scenarios will lead to an extremely short restaurant manager queue. I think only one of these ideas is a bit ridiculous.

Regards John

It's not as simple to allocate as it might appear - there are requests not just for sitting / freedom but also table sizes and dealing with groups who want to be seated together - and odd numbers of travellers in groups/cabins.

And then on the day a few people who got their original preference may wish to change.

Telliing those on late discounted fares that they get no preference is actually quite useful to the RM. It means passengers in this pool can be shuffled around by the RM on the day of departure before first sitting without having to worry about preference at all.

My point is that if they had been allowed to state a preference; even though they were last on the list to be selected; they would all get what they wanted unless this had run out. In that case they would be defaulted to an arrangement which they did not particularly like. At this point a giant queue would not form because virtually nobody would be trying to leave an unattractive set up because it would be realised there is nowhere alternative available.

Logically if you do not ask people for a preference and allocate them randomly you should be saying to the on board you booked the cheap rate so your allocation cannot be changed.

Both scenarios will lead to an extremely short restaurant manager queue. I think only one of these ideas is a bit ridiculous.

Regards John

Quite agree John.

The same thing happens on Thomson. Normally it is anytime dining, but on formal night there are two sittings. No-one has ever asked us when we book what sitting we would like and in 9 cruises with them, we have only once been allocated late sitting, which we prefer, and have had to trek down to see the Maitre d' to change it (along with many others :rolleyes:)

It's not as simple to allocate as it might appear - there are requests not just for sitting / freedom but also table sizes and dealing with groups who want to be seated together - and odd numbers of travellers in groups/cabins.

I am not saying it simple, a group of eight might want to sit together with linked bookings but a couple amongst them may have gone, super saver, and these things need closer examination. To split this lot you might be disappointing the six, two of whom are in a suite so they want to be all in an eight group.

And then on the day a few people who got their original preference may wish to change.

This I feel is a small minority but they nevertheless need accommodating.

Telliing those on late discounted fares that they get no preference is actually quite useful to the RM. It means passengers in this pool can be shuffled around by the RM on the day of departure before first sitting without having to worry about preference at all.

The RM can still shuffle the unsatisfied residual diners. If preferences are not known amongst the last group, super savers, they might all get allocated the opposite to their unknown preference and start a queue.

What size this is is difficult to say.

In addition you will have disabled and people with mobility problems requesting "near a door" "no steps" "wheelchair access" etc.

Its not simple but computers now assist. There will always be people whos requests are not met and they will have to learn from it.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
WARNING SOME OF MY TEXT HAS GONE INTO QUOTE AREA