Celebrity Silhouette Transatlantic

Floridastorm

Thinking about the April 19th departure out of Ft. Lauderdale transatlantic to Amsterdam. We were on Celebrity Equinox, last year, for a cruise out of Barcelona through Europe and we loved that ship. Would imagine that the Silhouette is pretty much the same.

For those of you who have been on the Silhouette or a similar transatlantic would appreciate opinions. :)

We have done three crossings on S class ships and they are wonderful. Have this one booked too. Prices are WAY down right now, $999 for a balcony on a large internet TA with prepaid gratuities, so that makes the decision easy. We have a good roll call going too, so if you book be sure to come over and say hi!!

We've done three TAs -- one each on the Eclipse, Infinity, and Silhouette. We loved all of them, but of the three ships, I'd say the Silhouette was my favorite. She has a few additions that the earlier S-class ships don't -- most particularly the Lawn Club Grill and the Porch. If you enjoyed the Equinox, I can't imagine that you won't love the Silhouette.

I will add, though, that we much prefer going westbound on a TA -- 25 hour days v. 23. The loss of an hour doesn't seem like much, but it added up. If we ever do an eastbound TA again, we won't make the mistake of having late seating AND early morning trivia! :)

I think the TA you are looking at is a nice one (for an eastbound! :) ). Great ship, interesting ports. If I can ever convince my spouse to do another EB, this is one I'd look at.

I think Silhouette is nicer than Equinox because it has the Lawn Club Grill! So far it has been our favorite ship. We have sailed TA's on Constellation, Equinox, Eclipse and Silhouette.

Edited by TeaBag

Right after final payment date, (last week) prices for that itinerary were down to $549pp/ $699pp/ $849pp for inside/ ocean view/ balcony cabins, with a total of $325 OBC on any of those prices. :eek:

They DID sell enough cabins to bring prices back up $150 on each of the above rates, but there are still well over 200 empty cabins available. :cool:

Those are still pretty darn nice prices/perks for a 14 night cruise on Celebrity. ;)

We paid $699pp with $450 OBC, which makes me satisfied. :D

This will be my 7th Celebrity transatlantic in 4 years, 3rd on Silhouette. Love it!

(Return flights from Amsterdam on Choice Air are in the $500-$550 range.)

Edited by teecee60

Seems like about a 2 1/2 hour train ride from the pier to Paris. That's even longer than from the pier to Rome, which we did last year. And, we were pretty rushed getting to Rome and back. Do most people make it to Paris?

Lisbon looks close and I'm looking forward to seeing that beautiful city. Brussels doesn't seem too far either.

Do most people spend at least a couple of days in Amsterdam? Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo are really far even by high speed rail.

Our interest is in an Ocean View. We are not really fond of inside cabins as you're on the ocean and should be able to see it most of the time. We've done balconies and find that it's really a waste of money for us. I think we used the balcony one time on the Equinox in 14 days. The ocean view cabins look really nice anyway and seem to have adequate room.

Thanks for all of the replies, so far. :)

Some great crew on Silhouette for the TA. Daniel Simon will be the HD.Be certain to meet Julie, the Guest Relations Manager. Donna will be Captain's Club Hostess and Anca will return as Michael's Club Concierge. Captain Lekkas will be returning from vacation for the TA.

It ends up in Amsterdam. How are the seas in the north Atlantic? What about temps, a little cool? We've done 4 TAs and they've all been through the Med., the seas have been smooth and the temps have been just about perfect.

Seas not too bad when we crossed last year on Constellation. Once you leave Lisbon (it was in the low 70's), plan on cold, damp, and rain. High was in the mid 50's.

Thinking about the April 19th departure out of Ft. Lauderdale transatlantic to Amsterdam. We were on Celebrity Equinox, last year, for a cruise out of Barcelona through Europe and we loved that ship. Would imagine that the Silhouette is pretty much the same.

For those of you who have been on the Silhouette or a similar transatlantic would appreciate opinions. :)

It ends up in Amsterdam. How are the seas in the north Atlantic? What about temps, a little cool? We've done 4 TAs and they've all been through the Med., the seas have been smooth and the temps have been just about perfect.

Prices dropped back down just TODAY. $549/ $699/ $849 for inside/ window/ balcony with $125 OBC from the online site, combinable with $250 OBC from shareholder benefit. :eek: :D ;)

Book 'em Danno! :p

Seems like about a 2 1/2 hour train ride from the pier to Paris. That's even longer than from the pier to Rome, which we did last year. And, we were pretty rushed getting to Rome and back. Do most people make it to Paris?

It's a lot of travel for a little time in Paris. From Le Havre, you have the close-by option (among other things) of seeing the D-Day sites in Normandy, which is an amazing and emotional experience.

Personally, I would visit Paris when you have real time to spend there.

Lisbon looks close and I'm looking forward to seeing that beautiful city. Brussels doesn't seem too far either.

Do most people spend at least a couple of days in Amsterdam? Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo are really far even by high speed rail.

Our interest is in an Ocean View. We are not really fond of inside cabins as you're on the ocean and should be able to see it most of the time. We've done balconies and find that it's really a waste of money for us. I think we used the balcony one time on the Equinox in 14 days. The ocean view cabins look really nice anyway and seem to have adequate room.

Thanks for all of the replies, so far. :)

We sailed this itinerary last Spring and are doing it again on April 19th. Last year we went to Paris on the Celebrity tour "Paris on your Own" which dropped us off and picked us up at a central location. The bus trip is a long one, but we love Paris and were happy to go for a few short hours. This year when we were thinking of doing the same thing, we realized we would be in Paris on May 1, "May Day" which is a big holiday in Europe and as such the openings and conditions in Paris would be limited. After reading what others had to say, the conventional wisdom was to stay away from Paris that day....hope this helps!

There is so much to see and do from Le Havre that I wouldn't consider sitting on a bus for that amount of time to spend a few measly hours in Paris. Especially not on May Day! The D Day sights are amazing, so are the lovely small towns of Etretat and Honfleur. Another great option is a trip to the ancient city of Rouen, where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, combined with a visit to Monet's home at Giverny, complete with the iconic lily pond and footbridge you see in so many of his paintings. That's a lovely day trip.

Normandy and Brittany are our favorite places in France, contrarian as usual since everyone raves about 'the South of France'. I must be the French version of a Yankee. In fact, DH and I are seriously considering moving to Normandy and giving tours to cruisers!!

I wonder if some people will stay awhile in Amsterdam after departing the cruise? I'm looking at getting an apartment through AIRBNB.com which I've done in other countries. A lot more relaxing, more room, and less expensive than a hotel. Had been to Amsterdam quite a long time ago and really did not get to see much of the city. Looks fascinating.

Thank you so much for posting your pictures. This is the best photo review of a ship I have seen. It was like I was back on Silhouette.

I wonder if some people will stay awhile in Amsterdam after departing the cruise? I'm looking at getting an apartment through AIRBNB.com which I've done in other countries. A lot more relaxing, more room, and less expensive than a hotel. Had been to Amsterdam quite a long time ago and really did not get to see much of the city. Looks fascinating.

Many people on the roll call are staying. We are looking at apartments too

• 1 month later...

For those of you who are staying a few days in Amsterdam (as we are), we will be there at a special time. Monday, May 4th is Remembrance Day, where those who have died in war are memorialized. Tuesday, May 5th is Liberation Day, commemorating liberation from Germany. It is a national holiday.

There will be all sorts of special activities on both days, but be aware it may be the cause of congestion in some areas, as well as closings. Just be sure to observe the 8:00pm silence on May 4th, wherever you are. Since we will want to be in Amsterdam for both those days, we are doing a day trip to the Hague (an hour away by train) when we disembark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_of_the_Dead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_Day_(Netherlands)

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/whats-on/monthly-event-calendar/may/remembrance-and-liberation

Edited by Stedmantx

We are boarding the Silhouette on the next sail - May 3rd departing Amstrdam. We are arriving a few days early to go to Keukenhoff gardens for the tulips. I'd certainly suggest staying a few days extra to do that.

Been on Silhouette and Equinox and Solstice - never disappointed. Looking forward to this one - 8 days at sea? Hope they are offering some seminars, courses, etc. ARe there any Cruise Critic get togethers planned? We are Paul & Lo, aka Logbog