Crew Courtesy

qldtraveller

It always upsets us to see people abusing people who are performing their jobs. It does seem to be especially bad on cruise ships for some reason; but we see it in local restaurants and stores too frequently. Some people actually seem to be proud that they are able to push the staff around. I just don't understand it and hope I never do.

We've seen the same thing and often wonder why some of the folks most responsible for this behavior will then ask us how come so many crew seem to know our names. We love the crews on O and always let them know how grateful we are to them for serving and caring for us.

+1 to all these comments.

We know how hard Oceania works to have the crew properly trained, even teaching them how to respond to or ignore passengers who are rude. I’ve always said that O should offer etiquette training to the passengers. Perhaps an “enrichment lecture” would be in order?

-Sukey-

+1 to all these comments.

We know how hard Oceania works to have the crew properly trained, even teaching them how to respond to or ignore passengers who are rude. I’ve always said that O should offer etiquette training to the passengers. Perhaps an “enrichment lecture” would be in order?

-Sukey-

Good idea, but only if it would be compulsory (like the safety drills) :D

Otherwise those who are likely to attend probably don't need to and those that should attend are likely to ignore it

Good idea, but only if it would be compulsory (like the safety drills) :D

Otherwise those who are likely to attend probably don't need to and those that should attend are likely to ignore it

Maybe there should be a little talk as part of the safety drill.

In 2012 we did B2B cruises. The first cruise was the best in regards to the manners of the people on board. On the second cruise the passengers were a tad younger and daily we witnessed rudeness and loud, public chastisement of staff, which I wrote about in my review. It is just basic manners and “treat others as you would want them to treat you” - stuff you learn from the cradle. For some reason these people think that because they can afford to cruise, they are superior human beings – but the behavior they display tells all it is the opposite and my full respect went to the staff that graciously bore the brunt of the abuse.

When I cruised on Silversea it appeared that some passengers tended to think of the workers as "the help". That pretty much turned me off on that experience, although I really liked the cruise line. I see that occasionally on O but not to the extent that I did on SS.

Your comment reminded me of a post I read some months ago on a CC forum. A couple was noting that they never received any of the little extras that they observed others getting. The person they were talking to told them that he merely talked to the servers and they picked up on his desires. The couple responded to the effect of "We never talk to the help."

You won't get any argument from me! We were on the Marina over the holidays and were appalled by the manners of some passengers. We've always enjoyed our associations with the crew.

Pity this thread won't be read by the subjects.

We too were on Marina over Christmas, and the previous sector too. The difference between the passengers was chalk and cheese. Rarely have I seen so many pushers, shovers and impolite people as on the Christmas trip.

Having been "eased" to one side at the buffet by one "gentleman", who ignored the plate provided and just said "give me a big one", "four of those", "more of that", etc, I pointedly said "please" to the server. The "gentleman" gave me a withering look of pity....

Over the past eight or nine cruises with O we have found the crew almost without exception to be incredibly friendly, polite and helpful - despite what they increasingly appear to have to put up with.

Pity this thread won't be read by the subjects.

We too were on Marina over Christmas, and the previous sector too. The difference between the passengers was chalk and cheese. Rarely have I seen so many pushers, shovers and impolite people as on the Christmas trip.

Having been "eased" to one side at the buffet by one "gentleman", who ignored the plate provided and just said "give me a big one", "four of those", "more of that", etc, I pointedly said "please" to the server. The "gentleman" gave me a withering look of pity....

Over the past eight or nine cruises with O we have found the crew almost without exception to be incredibly friendly, polite and helpful - despite what they increasingly appear to have to put up with.

Sometimes I wonder how on earth they keep their cool. Yet they do. If it were I, I am afraid I would say what I used to say to my grandchildren "Did I hear the magic word? " I never say that anymore. They automatically say please and thank you. These passengers must have been very badly brought up.

Sometimes I wonder how on earth they keep their cool. Yet they do. If it were I, I am afraid I would say what I used to say to my grandchildren "Did I hear the magic word? " I never say that anymore. They automatically say please and thank you. These passengers must have been very badly brought up.

Yes they have, but sometimes, just sometimes, I can't help myself and do quip "forgotten the "P" word have we?" ;):)

We were totally appalled at the bad manners from a huge number of passengers on our very first Oceania cruise, so much so, that had we not had another one already booked, we may very well have not cruised with O again. It was so bad and if we noticed it and experienced it, then I'm blooming well sure the crew did too!

Across all nationalities, and people of an age where they certainly should have known better - I do wonder how these people behave at home!

But I do notice that even our own much-loved "over the pond" friends, do "forget" sometimes the use of the basic please and thank-yous. I keep waiting for them to complete their request with either of these words when they say "I'll have" or "Give me" or "I'll take" - They would be truly mortified if we mentioned it to them and I'm absolutely sure it's never meant in a rude way - it's just the different way we ask for things! But it just doesn't sit right with us. BTW - The worst offender on that first cruise was a Brit! :rolleyes:

I have been on many cruises and met some really nice crew members .i always believe in thanking for good service and appreciate a good morning or good day .It costs nothing to stop and trade greetings every day ..a smile can go a long way .i was so verywell treated on Marina and French Polynesia because I made the effort to learn 3basic Polynesian words ...ia orana ...good morning or hello ......maururu..thank you and nana goodbye

Those 3words had a way of making people smile over and above my speaking French to them ...they do not expect French Speakers off Oceania cruises ..but it always brought smiles and kindness .i loved so much about French Polynesia ..the scenery,the coral reef ,the fish all the creaturesof the ocean .I am still in awe over the big ....big ....friendly graceful lemon sharks ...I now have new respect for them ..i no longer see them as replicas of Jaws .also at my bravery in swimming near them ...at first nervous. Then more relaxed and finally a little blase ohum theres a shark .that to me is the essence of French Polynesia

A smile a friendly attitude do really go a long way ....as a result many merchants gave me presents when I bought stuff ....nice

I sooooo look forward to going back ...now wAiting for price drops ?!!LOL

I have been on many cruises and met some really nice crew members .i always believe in thanking for good service and appreciate a good morning or good day .It costs nothing to stop and trade greetings every day ..a smile can go a long way .i was so verywell treated on Marina and French Polynesia because I made the effort to learn 3basic Polynesian words ...ia orana ...good morning or hello ......maururu..thank you and nana goodbye

Those 3words had a way of making people smile over and above my speaking French to them ...they do not expect French Speakers off Oceania cruises ..but it always brought smiles and kindness .i loved so much about French Polynesia ..the scenery,the coral reef ,the fish all the creaturesof the ocean .I am still in awe over the big ....big ....friendly graceful lemon sharks ...I now have new respect for them ..i no longer see them as replicas of Jaws .also at my bravery in swimming near them ...at first nervous. Then more relaxed and finally a little blase ohum theres a shark .that to me is the essence of French Polynesia

A smile a friendly attitude do really go a long way ....as a result many merchants gave me presents when I bought stuff ....nice

I sooooo look forward to going back ...now wAiting for price drops ?!!LOL

Actually, I do that on land, too. Whenever we go somewhere where we don't speak the language (which is basically everywhere that my little bit of Italian or high school French can't get me through:D), I always make it a point to at least learn how to say good morning, please and thank you in the local language. I'll ask a cab driver, tour guide, whoever, and then try to at least use it when we are in port at restaurants, in shops, etc. Even though most people speak English, I have just found that even trying something so basic goes such a long way.

Certainly not reserved - just more likely:

http://www.livescience.com/18683-rich-people-lie-cheat-study.html

I read a similar study in our local paper (SF Chronicle) very recently but do not have the link.

There have been a few studies showing the tendencies of the "well off" vs. the rest of us.

Typically the "well off" get over at all costs, especially when they believe no eyes are on them.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business-jan-june13-makingsense_06-21/

Guess that shows how they're able to achieve their level of "well off".

Sad to say every line I have been on I have seen more than my fair share of horrible excuses of humanity proving that there is an excess in the population and that skin was wasted on them. It has invariably always been the suite level white folks acting like complete bastages.

There have been a few studies showing the tendencies of the "well off" vs. the rest of us.

Typically the "well off" get over at all costs, especially when they believe no eyes are on them.

Sad to say every line I have been on I have seen more than my fair share of horrible excuses of humanity proving that there is an excess in the population and that skin was wasted on them. It has invariably always been the suite level white folks acting like complete bastages.

Thank you for that link.

Very interesting, indeed.

Quite honestly I do not find this particular post very polite... and therefore out of place on a thread that is discussing passengers politeness - or lack thereof - towards the crew! In fact it makes some rather unpleasant assumptions. Also I would like to know what "bastages" means - unless perhaps it is a typo and the person meant to write "bastards".

Quite honestly I do not find this particular post very polite... and therefore out of place on a thread that is discussing passengers politeness - or lack thereof - towards the crew! In fact it makes some rather unpleasant assumptions. Also I would like to know what "bastages" means - unless perhaps it is a typo and the person meant to write "bastards".

+ 1. Indeed nasty post as well as BS so called science.

This "study" was a joke.

Edited by orchestrapal

This "study" was a joke.

While I have no way to verify the validity of the study described in the article, I find the observations interesting. It's food for thought. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business-jan-june13-makingsense_06-21/

On Oceania, most passengers have impeccable manners, but twice I observed blatantly obvious 'me first' behavior by the same well-groomed and very well-dressed 'lady'. One example: When the artist handed out paper to be distributed and I reached out my hand to pass it on to the other participants, the well-dressed passenger declared: It's mine! :eek:

Oceania has been increasing capacity from the days of just three R ships. Is it possible that with the increase we are seeing more cruisers who have in the past been on the mass market lines where courtesy is less prevelant?

Can't say I have seen such discourtesy but am responding to the reports by other posters.

Edited by Noxequifans

Oceania has been increasing capacity from the days of just three R ships. Is it possible that with the increase we are seeing more cruisers who have in the past been on the mass market lines where courtesy is less prevelant?

Can't say I have seen such discourtesy but am responding to the reports by other posters.

Well this is an interesting thread! On the one hand, you've got some people saying that it's the well-heeled who are the rudest. On the other hand, you've got someone saying that it's the less-well-heeled (those who cruise on the dreaded mass-market lines) who are the rudest.

What a pickle!

Having cruised on both types of lines, and surrounded by both types of people in my daily life, here are my observations: income and social status doesn't really seem to matter on the rude-o-meter. ;) There are rude a-holes among all of them. It's just human nature. Being raised among the upper crust does not necessarily always translate to being noble and selfless. Nor does being raised among the "serfs" always translate into be low-class and self-centered. Or vice versa.

I try to focus more on my own behavior, and do my best to ignore those whose behavior I find offensive. But sometimes they are hard to miss. Especially on a cruise, when we are all thrown together on a boat for extended periods of time. Chair hogs are a perfect example...my understanding is that chair hoggery is rampant on all cruise lines, regardless of class of service.

But I suppose this thread is a good reminder to those who have a tendency to forget their manners that others are noticing! :p

Well this is an interesting thread! On the one hand, you've got some people saying that it's the well-heeled who are the rudest. On the other hand, you've got someone saying that it's the less-well-heeled (those who cruise on the dreaded mass-market lines) who are the rudest.

What a pickle!

Having cruised on both types of lines, and surrounded by both types of people in my daily life, here are my observations: income and social status doesn't really seem to matter on the rude-o-meter. ;) There are rude a-holes among all of them. It's just human nature. Being raised among the upper crust does not necessarily always translate to being noble and selfless. Nor does being raised among the "serfs" always translate into be low-class and self-centered. Or vice versa.

I try to focus more on my own behavior, and do my best to ignore those whose behavior I find offensive. But sometimes they are hard to miss. Especially on a cruise, when we are all thrown together on a boat for extended periods of time. Chair hogs are a perfect example...my understanding is that chair hoggery is rampant on all cruise lines, regardless of class of service.

But I suppose this thread is a good reminder to those who have a tendency to forget their manners that others are noticing! :p

+1

Good comments:)

What a pickle!

Well said. I think (unfortunately) bad manners are found at all levels of the social spectrum. Rich, poor and in between. Fortunately - good manners are found at all levels as well! I suppose we all just wish there would be far more people with good manners than bad!

I do think that bad manners among most lower economic strata folks are out of ignorance while those among the high and mighty, who have presumably been taught manners, are entitlement. I also in think the lower strata are eminently teachable while rudeness in the upper strata is often a matter of choice.

I admit to spending much of my life among the former and never quite reaching the latter, but discovering while young that "please" and "thank you" bring riches beyond wealth.