"Chair Hogs"? Just Find a White Uniform :)

monicakm

I always ask folks who are sitting in the area if they have seen the people who have "saved" the chairs. If they haven't seen them I just move the items. I have never had a problem.

I actually did this on my last cruise. I wanted a shady spot to watch the morning movie. Asked the people sitting around this one chair (that had a blouse and book on it) if they knew this person? Nope. How long were you folks here, more than a half hour? Yes. So I took the stuff off the chair and put it on a nearby table and plopped down. I said, you didn't see this, and the others laughed. About an hour or so later, woman showed up and noticed her stuff moved and apparently realized she lost the chair. She sheeplishly gathered her stuff and left. If she had dared to say anything to me, I would have suggested she check the Patters which did say something about the 30 minute limit. There's also a sign up on the Sun deck that says the same thing -- they really should put those signs around the pool area.

Should you have to leave your lounger for 30 minutes or so to visit the restroom,go to your stateroom,grab a breakfist biscuit or have lunch I think it is totally acceptable to leave a towel or flip flop at your lounger while away until you return.

It's the "abusers" who leave a towel on a lounger and never return!

Actually, 30 minutes is 30 minutes. So going to the restroom, that takes just a few minutes. But using the restroom, going to your cabin, going into the Horizon and having lunch...that's chair hogging. Sorry, it's not just sticking a towel on the chair and not returning...it's sticking a towel on the chair and doing other things to the point that you're gone for a big chunk of time that's inconsiderate.

If you are planning to eat your meal in the Horizon Court or do a bunch of stuff around the ship, just give up the chair. Hopefully if every passenger follows that, there will be available deck chairs when you return.

If I saw a crew member that was helping out by removing stranded items, I would get his name and then fill out one of those "Consummate Host" cards, and also mention his action on the post-cruise survey.

Great to hear!

The BELLS on some folks to hog a chair just steams my clams. Like I get an OMG I forgot X in the cabin and you scoot there and back at a leisurely pace, or even getting a generous helping of victuals, but once the 20-30 min mark has been eclipsed the spot is officially relinquished.

Move their stuff onto the deck right next to where you are and if that someone gives you static you can either be all "this was open when I got here and the stuff was on the deck" or be all "shut your hole, you were gone for longer than 30 mins". Whichever best fits your personality.

Seen to many physical altercations over chairs to get confrontative....but I am on a cruise to have fun and not be a chair or tux cop.....:eek:

We were on the Miracle a couple of years ago. the staff were very diligent on marking the empty chairs with belongings. They would put a sticky on the chair with the time, then come back in half an hour or so and move the stuff. I did not see any problems or yelling over this, people knew it was being enforced. I don't understand why all ships can't do this.

Seen to many physical altercations over chairs to get confrontative....but I am on a cruise to have fun and not be a chair or tux cop.....:eek:

The suggested way to handle someone who gets physical is to fall down onto the lounger and yell for help if they push you.

You get to keep the lounger and they get to finish their vacation in the next port.

All cruise lines take action against physical altercations.

Edited by swedish weave

The suggested way to handle someone who gets physical is to fall down onto the lounger and yell for help if they push you.

You get to keep the lounger and they get to finish their vacation in the next port.

All cruise lines take action against physical altercations.

If somebody threatened to get physical because of a chair I would just walk away. Its just not worth it...If something like that happened, everyone involved just might get booted off the ship!

WOW! Hot topic.

You must really be careful with this. I was swimming in the pool once and when I got back to my lounge, dripping wet to get my towel and sit down, someone had the pool attendant take my stuff and was sitting in my chair!

I feel like I need a sign for my lounge. "Gone to the pool, be back soon".

Caribil...made me laugh out loud!

Edited by LovetheSea

When I see a saved chair, I have no idea if it's been vacant 3 minutes, 30 minutes for 3 hours and I don't have time to waste on my cruise to stand around for an hour to if anyone shows up. If we ever go again and think we might want to sit around the pool area (it was for for the Superbowl this time). I will take sticky notes and post the time I left when I should returned (30 mins or less). IF I had seen something like that, I would have respected it.

Don't be too hard on Princess. They don't want to play the heavy with people on their vacation paying good money. If it's not a safety issue, I'm sure they would rather see if situation resolves without their involvement. Chairs hogs are a perennial problem. But it's kind of like the weather, everybody complains about it, but nobody does anything about it. ;)

I started to add a few thoughts to this discussion, but then realized that I suppose I have nothing new of substance to say on a topic which, in any event, always has a tendency to become heated.

But, I did want to acknowledge this new term coined by shreddie, which I think is quite apt:

Really makes me wish I was bilingual! Chogs can get physical, though, I've seen a couple of push and shove matches take place.

I move that, henceforth, we should add "Chogs" to the CruiseCritic lexicon, along with DH, DW, DS, DD, MD, IC, Stewart, Mustard Station, E I E I O. ;) All in favor, signify by saying "aye". ;)

Also, apropos my initial comment, I couldn't help but smile at this:

If you leave your tux on the chair, are you still guilty?

Wow you knew there would have to be a twist back to formal wear. :rolleyes:

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

I actually did this on my last cruise. I wanted a shady spot to watch the morning movie. Asked the people sitting around this one chair (that had a blouse and book on it) if they knew this person? Nope. How long were you folks here' date=' more than a half hour? Yes. So I took the stuff off the chair and put it on a nearby table and plopped down. I said, you didn't see this, and the others laughed. About an hour or so later, woman showed up and noticed her stuff moved and apparently realized she lost the chair. She sheeplishly gathered her stuff and left. If she had dared to say anything to me, I would have suggested she check the Patters which did say something about the 30 minute limit. There's also a sign up on the Sun deck that says the same thing -- they really should put those signs around the pool area.[/color']

Actually, 30 minutes is 30 minutes. So going to the restroom, that takes just a few minutes. But using the restroom, going to your cabin, going into the Horizon and having lunch...that's chair hogging. Sorry, it's not just sticking a towel on the chair and not returning...it's sticking a towel on the chair and doing other things to the point that you're gone for a big chunk of time that's inconsiderate.

If you are planning to eat your meal in the Horizon Court or do a bunch of stuff around the ship, just give up the chair. Hopefully if every passenger follows that, there will be available deck chairs when you return.

If I saw a crew member that was helping out by removing stranded items, I would get his name and then fill out one of those "Consummate Host" cards, and also mention his action on the post-cruise survey.

If I'm away from the precious lounger for 30 minutes or so that is just fine!Obviously, if I'm out there at 8:00am to select the lounger of my choice,then that is the one I shall enjoy for as much of the day as I wish.No intimidation accepted!:rolleyes:

It is a sea day. My sweet husband wakes up early. We are both early risers 5-6 am. He goes to the International Cafe and gets us coffee and treats. We shower and get ready to head on deck to find a nice lounger for us. Which we SIT in. We hang out for a few hours and then take our stuff and leave them for the next people. We never just go off for a while and leave them. We swim in the pool a few feet away . It is not exceptable for people to come and dump there stuff and leave for two hours or more. Which I have seen many times.

What bugs me when people come strolling by around noon and are frustrated that there are no places to sit. The early bird catches the chair.

If I'm away from the precious lounger for 30 minutes or so that is just fine!Obviously, if I'm out there at 8:00am to select the lounger of my choice,then that is the one I shall enjoy for as much of the day as I wish.No intimidation accepted!:rolleyes:

My point is someone gets a deck chair but leaves it to have a sit down meal (even if in the Horizon) or go have a massage in the spa, then they should take their towel, etc., and leave a chair for someone else to use in the meantime. If you just leave it long enough to get a hamburger at the poolside grille, you're not going to be gone for more than a few minutes so you're entitled to sit back down in the deck chair to enjoy your lunch. Major difference.

We were on a Princess cruise a few years ago. I went to the Lido pool area and found one empty lounger which I took. There were five next to me some with towels only and others with personal stuff. While sitting there I saw several women sitting in front of me and watched as two of them at different times got up, came back to the "reserved" chairs, opened the bags and took out personal items. It looked like they had reserved the loungers in the shade where I was sitting while taking up loungers in the sun! Gives new slant on chogs!

Can the term CHOGS be used for those who save blocks of seats in Princess Theater ? Last month on the Island Panama Canal cruise two women working in tandem hogged sears for their group ignoring Princess announcements that this was not allowed . Miss Piggy and her partner were openly scorned by fellow passengers but their actions showed they had no shame .

Can the term CHOGS be used for those who save blocks of seats in Princess Theater ? Last month on the Island Panama Canal cruise two women working in tandem hogged sears for their group ignoring Princess announcements that this was not allowed . Miss Piggy and her partner were openly scorned by fellow passengers but their actions showed they had no shame .

Yes....Even for those that insist on using a prime view table in the HC in Alaska on the Island/Coral for the entire day, while those that want to eat walk around with their plates of food. :rolleyes:

Removing towels from empty chairs can turn out OK or not OK depending on the people involved. A "white uniform" does not help if the people are not reasonable. Please take a look at the post below which I made in March 2014 after an incident on the Royal. It was not worth the trouble or the aggravation. "Ed" (Head of Security) did not want the trouble or aggravation either and Princess prefers to take little or no action.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42230477#post42230477

I am very sorry to read how your reasonable actions turned nasty especially as I would have done the same.

My DW ,who is non confrontational (except with me ;)) always warns me about provoking crazies .

And yet it is hard for me to live life making sure to never act in a way that could possibly set them off.

The worst part of your story is the inaction and negligence of "Ed" . Terrible !