MUTS being implementing on a forth cruise line!

eroller

Add yet another cruise line to the growing list implementing MUTS (movies under the stars). First we had Princess, then came Carnival, next was Disney .... and announced today is Costa! When will it end?????

Seatrade Insider announced today that COSTA CONCORDIA, under construction in Italy, will feature a giant video screen over one of it's pools.

Soon it will be difficult to find a ship without this annoying feature.

Ernie

I'm with you "eroller". Whatever happened to enjoying the sound of the waves and the scenery off the ship. If I wanted to spend my vacation watching a giant video screen, I'd stay home and go to the movies. Fortunately I can choose one of the older, smaller ships and not have to endure MUTS.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: What are we going to do, Ernie?

In the “What Feature Do You Want” thread, there was a post that implied that the reviews about MUTS have been mixed and positive press from Princess has been a CYA move (that last part is my interpretation). According to this post the decision not to retro fit the rest of the ships in the fleet came from this mixed reaction and the addition of the screen on the new builds is to disseminate the crowds jammed into these 3100 passenger ships which were only built for 2600. Supposedly there’s a corporate slant toward moving these ships to Carnival. And I guess Costa??

Fortunately I can choose one of the older, smaller ships and not have to endure MUTS.
There are many reasons to prefer the smaller ships…this being one of them.

OMG!!!!!

What must those buffoons be thinking there at the Princess HQ?

Don't those contraptions they slap on the side of the ship cost about a million bucks each?

Dang them for giving passengers what they want!

;) ;) ;) ;)

That’s just the point – I’ve seen no conclusive evidence that this is what the passengers really want. And if the statement made about Princess getting mixed responses to MUTS is true, then we can only really conclude that there are mixed opinions about what the passengers really want. Just because MUTS is popular with some, doesn’t mean it is with everyone. I’m willing to concede that some people like and actually want it on their ships – why aren’t those on the other side of the argument willing to concede that there are a good number of passengers who don’t feel MUTS adds any value to - and in fact might detract from - the cruise experience?

OMG!!!!!

What must those buffoons be thinking there at the Princess HQ?

And exactly how would the "buffoons" at Princess HQ know what the European passengers of Costa will desire?

Ernie

:rolleyes: What are we going to do, Ernie?

[/font]

I know. Lets hope MUTS is not added to *all* of the Princess fleet (ISLAND and CORAL PRINCESS especially - the two best ships in the Princess fleet IMO). Celebrity and HAL are still options ... but how long before Carnival Corp. decides to add MUTS to HAL as well?

As more and more lines become "mass-market", the choices are becoming very limited for those of us (especially in the younger demographic) seeking a more traditional cruise experience. Also, it seems you have to pay a premium for that traditional experience as only the higher end lines are catering to this market.

I really thought MSC was an option (I loved the MSC OPERA), but even their new ships are going to be huge to go head to head with Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. :(

Ernie

About the time their consumer research suggests that no one is interested in booking a ship with a giant poolside screen.

How true! Maybe in 10 years the major cruise lines will introduce their newest ship with the latest gimmick .... a mid-sized ship with absolutely no gimmicks! ;) You pay a small premium but you receive a 'back to basics' quality cruise experience with excellent food, service, and entertainment. And the most novel idea yet ... no nickle and diming and you are not sharing the ship with 5000 of your closest friends. ;)

Ernie

(ISLAND and CORAL PRINCESS especially - the two best ships in the Princess fleet IMO).

They're my favorite, as well, so I don't think your opinion on this is all that humble. I'd be happy to see Princess churn a few more of them out. :)

The itineraries of Island and Coral attract a different kind of cruiser that is not as likely to be anxious to watch an outdoor movie. Particularly in Alaska, where spectacular and serene visuals don't have any competition. I doubt you'll see Movies on Island and Coral. People are just not going to create the demand.

It's fun in the Caribbean, and I think you'll continue to see the cruise lines looking at random-fun-things-to-do onboard the ships positioned primarily there. Movies is just one of a bazillion things I'd be willing to do in the Caribbean but that wouldn't draw me to a ship elsewhere.

These people know what they're doing -- Caribbean Princess is sailing full every week, and in my experience, it's the weakest link (not a bad link, just the *weakest* link.) So, what do I know?

From the reports I have read, I think MUTS works well in the Caribbean where there are now many repeaters and several sea days. I think Princess has discovered that the Europpean/Med intenaries geared for the American market where there are few if any sea days and most people want to get the most of the ports there is less interest in watching MUTS because they either are not aboard the ship during the day or they are too tired at night to watch it.

I think this is reflected in their decision that they are not going to install MUTS on all Grand class ships after their experience this summer with the Grand.

Disney's ships will not be leaving the North American market anytime soon so they will get much use of MUTS

Carnival has so many ships in North America that they can dedicate certain ships for extended period of times and amortize the cost before feeling the need to do a European/Med cruise with a MUTS equiped shipped as opposed to one that isn't MUTS equipped

From the reports I have read, I think MUTS works well in the Caribbean where there are now many repeaters and several sea days. I think Princess has discovered that the Europpean/Med intenaries geared for the American market where there are few if any sea days and most people want to get the most of the ports there is less interest in watching MUTS because they either are not aboard the ship during the day or they are too tired at night to watch it.

Actually, I was kind of thinking MUTS works well in the Caribbean for the opposite reason you stated. I think there are probably more first time cruisers on CARIBBEAN PRINCESS than any other Princess ship, and Princess is trying to "wow" them with gimmicks like MUTS. Also, CARIBBEAN PRINCESS has a lot of competition from cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and even Carnival. The ship has to "keep up with the Jone's" so to speak.

I do agree with you that MUTS on a European cruise seems pointless. Who has time (or even wants to) watch movies when you have some of the most amazing scenery right outside your window or balcony? So for the life of me I can't imagine why Princess installed MUTS on GRAND and SEA PRINCESS ... two ships dedicated to European waters half the year. Go figure??

Ernie

I think there are probably more first time cruisers on CARIBBEAN PRINCESS than any other Princess ship

Without question. The gold, platinum and elite doorplates are definitely in the minority on this ship. I would guess that, as I looked down our corridor on Caribe deck (where I would think more previous Princess cruisers would choose to settle than on other decks), it was about 15 or 20 Princess first-timer Princess cruisers to one previous Princess cruiser. I doubt our sailing was unique.

As to Sea and Grand....well, they *do* spend the other half of the year in the Caribbean.

I think there is a real market for MUTTS and other related recreation on the cruise ships. But I think what the cruiseline is doing is trading out one group of cruisers for another. Those of us that have cruised for a number of years and go for the sheer joy of seeing scenery and getting away from the hustle and bustle of our normal hectic pace on land are being replaced by people that want constant stimulation, they are the group and there are plenty of them. that would be bored to death, to grab a good book and alternate the day by reading and gazing out at the ocean. While I appreciate all of the evening entertainement, I am content during the day to kick back and just relax and enjoy nature.

Carol

Without question. The gold, platinum and elite doorplates are definitely in the minority on this ship. I would guess that, as I looked down our corridor on Caribe deck (where I would think more previous Princess cruisers would choose to settle than on other decks), it was about 15 or 20 Princess first-timer Princess cruisers to one previous Princess cruiser. I doubt our sailing was unique.

Why is it important how many first time cruisers are on board? Is it that you would like it if only seasoned cruisers were on your cruise?

I am going to guess that you were not born on a cruiseship so at one point you took your first cruise. I invite all of the "MASS MARKET SNOBS" to please move to HAL or stay on the smaller ships so that they won't have their cruises ruined by new features that they don't like or people not experienced enough to know not to like them.

I'm no first time cruiser, and we found MUTS to be a highlight of our last Caribbean cruise - watching first run movies at night under the stars. it gave us a great alternative to watching shows we had already seen.

I would rather they shut it off during the day and bring back the steel drum bands, as live music is one of the things that brought us back to Princess after trying another line.

I rather likes MUTS.......but "Movies under the SUN"

Being an old fashioned sun worshipper and not a movie goer or DVD owner, I had not seen Harry Potter,Shreik,Nemo etc and I enjoyed basking under the Caribbean sun watching movies. (I had seen Grease and it was noticeable how many joined in the songs and even dancing!)

If you dont like it there are plenty of other areas to escape to.

I agree tho that its more suited to Caribbean area where we had 3 consecutive sea days.

The band Tenacity were playing daily by the other pool !

Believe it or not Chris, many (perhaps the majority) of passengers have absolutely no interest in the mind-pablum offered by video entertainment and prefer a more social set of entertainment options. Of course, it depends how you were raised. When we went on car trips, our parents answered questions about the things we saw, learned about what was going in our lives, and re-connected with us. Now parents just slap a video into the in-car entertainment system so the kids will shut up. But I digress.

Movies Under the Stars isn't a bad idea when it is designed into the ship. The objections (and there are many) come from the daytime use of the system which a) disturbs those who like to relax in the sun during the day and b) acts as a kid magnet and gives many parents an excuse to leave their young ones to their own devices.

Maybe it's a good thing for those who choose only the week-long introductory cruises. People who cruise for more substantial reasons than just "getting away", not that there's anything wrong with that, have a different sent of wants that I think were well-expressed in response to your post about the RCI water park.

If you dont like it there are plenty of other areas to escape to.

Exactly. If you don't like it, visit one of the many other pools or common areas of the ship. It only effects that one pool.

I don't want to watch Finding Nemo in the daytime, (have seen it WAY too many times!) so I hang out at another pool. There were always people there, so many do enjoy it. I did like watching a movie at night. Very relaxing!

Believe it or not Chris, many (perhaps the majority) of passengers have absolutely no interest in the mind-pablum offered by video entertainment and prefer a more social set of entertainment options. Of course, it depends how you were raised. When we went on car trips, our parents answered questions about the things we saw, learned about what was going in our lives, and re-connected with us. Now parents just slap a video into the in-car entertainment system so the kids will shut up. But I digress.

Movies Under the Stars isn't a bad idea when it is designed into the ship. The objections (and there are many) come from the daytime use of the system which a) disturbs those who like to relax in the sun during the day and b) acts as a kid magnet and gives many parents an excuse to leave their young ones to their own devices.

Maybe it's a good thing for those who choose only the week-long introductory cruises. People who cruise for more substantial reasons than just "getting away", not that there's anything wrong with that, have a different sent of wants that I think were well-expressed in response to your post about the RCI water park.

Do you feel out of place aboard the cruise ship of today?

I think MUTS works well in the Caribbean where there are now many repeaters and several sea days.
What ever happened to the good old fashion entertainment called reading? My favorite part about cruising is reading a good book up on deck and listening to a live steel drum band.;) At night, I prefer to watch people doing the "line dance" to live music.:D

Do you feel out of place aboard the cruise ship of today?

Let's just say I notice the differences, in both the passengers and the service. And, of course, the price. Yin always balances yan.

You are an angry person, aren't you? Or perhaps it's self-loathing. Either way, I hope you achieve some peace.

Nolesfan, I'm not quite sure why you're taking such offense. I hope you'll re-read my comments and see that what I was trying to suggest is that more of the passengers on Caribbean Princess are "first-time Princess cruisers" than are "previous Princess cruisers."

I don't think it makes one a "MASS MARKET SNOB" to recognize that Princess is very successfully marketing this ship to cruisers who are first-time Princess cruisers.

Archived